Sign in to follow this  
Kee Chi

Gameplay Feedback

Really enjoying the game so far. The art style and writing are fantastic and funny, the gameplay is solid, and you can see that there's lots of potential for future content. That said, there's some things I noticed that could be improved. Some of it has been posted already, but I wrote this down offline and am now too lazy to check for duplicates ;).

I. General stuff

1. I'm usually playing it on a 3GS and the smaller bits of text are almost unreadable (e.g. ability descriptions). But I realize that readability optimization for a three-year-old device is probably not very high on your priority list. Honestly, I'm just glad I can play it, because quite a few recent games don't even work on the 3GS anymore.

2. I also think the tutorial at the beginning of the game could be slightly expanded, especially to describe what the different hero stats do, what "focus" is, and what exactly happens when you're late in completing crime events (i.e. not the end of the world, which was the assumption I was playing with for the first hour).

3. More content :-). But I hear you're already working on that :D.

4. More achievements! I love me some achievements :).

II. Bugs

1. The obvious "branch score is stuck" one

2. Unfulfillable goals, such as "Research a piece of equipment" when you've already researched all equipment.

3. Health bonuses from costumes don't get applied (Galaxy Girl, Crimebot)

4. Health values shown under the ♥ are always (employee file, selecting an activity station, justice request form) maximum health - except in the equipment selection dialog, where it's current health.

5. Ability training times in menu do not match real times. Example (assuming fully upgraded practice room & training dummies): MM's lvl 1 Summoned Slap lists 12:00 as required training time in the menu, the counter at the training dummy actually starts around 9:36

6. "Montage Soundtrack" is incredibly broken. It does not "decrease training time by 75%", but actually increases it by about 200%. Example (again assuming fully upgraded practice room & training dummies): SP's lvl 3 Lightning Shield (regular listed training time: 12:00) shows up in the menu with 23:16, and the counter at the dummy starts somewhere around 36 minutes.

7. Bedroom clipping. Characters simply walk through the two lower beds on their way to the upper ones.

8. In the ability selection dialog for each character, the last segment of the focus bar is always shown in a different color. Would be useful, if it adjusted to the selected ability and showed the amount of focus needed to use that ability (see suggestion IV.2. below), but right now it's just strange. Really minor, but hey.

III. Text & Spelling

1. Rank of "Principle Hero": I'm guessing that should be "principal", as in "principal character"

2. Ability Training dialog lists requirements as "Awareness", employee file help calls it "intelligence"

3. Same for Research dialog, I think, but I can't double-check that since I've already researched everything.

4. Employe file help says for Intelligence "Research items and abilities, gain mana and ability power". I'm assuming the "mana" is supposed to be "focus", since that's what you're using throughout the rest of the game

5. Description of Focus-replenishing items is way off. Example: "Refreshing Beverage" says it will give "+75 Focus", but the actual in-battle popup says "+9 Focus" - which is also what I arrived at by counting the number of replenished focus bar segments.

IV. Small Improvement Suggestions

1. Show Damage for abilities

Regular attack damage is very easy, because power = base damage. For abilities you really don't have a good way to gauge the damage, unless you're paying very close attention to the enemy's health bar.

Suggestion: In the ability selection dialog for each character, show the average damage for each ability (or protection or weakening of enemy or whatever applies). The ability damage increase of higher intelligence would be much more visible for players that way, too.

2. Show focus usage for abilities

You cannot, before actually using an ability in combat, see how many focus bars it uses.

Suggestion: In the ability selection dialog, show the amount of focus needed for the currently selected ability on the focus bar by coloring the segments differently.

3. Show costume stats

There is no way to see what bonuses a costume gives after buying it.

Suggestion: Include some way to look at the costume - perhaps even include more costumes with different stats and have the option to change them?

4. Show improved room/activity station bonuses

There is now way to see what bonuses a room or activity station has already gained through upgrades.

5. Better button response

Sometimes buttons don't register a tap - or the animation (i.e. depressed button) plays, but the expected action doesn't happen. It's usually fixed with a second or third tap, but it's still a little annoying. I've had this most often on the after-battle report "Continue" button.

Well, that's what I noticed. Still really like the game, though, otherwise I wouldn't have written all this down :D.

II. Bugs

6. "Montage Soundtrack" is incredibly broken. It does not "decrease training time by 75%", but actually increases it by about 200%. Example (again assuming fully upgraded practice room & training dummies): SP's lvl 3 Lightning Shield (regular listed training time: 12:00) shows up in the menu with 23:16, and the counter at the dummy starts somewhere around 36 minutes.

Just want to confirm this and add a bit more detail, to test I removed the character from the current lineup, added him back with the "Montage Soundtrack" equipped, restarted the training and recorded the time change. Equipping or unequipping the item during the workout had no effect (you may want to fix that).

So as stated by wrathman the "Montage Soundtrack" had a negative effect on training abilities, an ability that took 3 min to train ended up jumping to 9 min with the "Montage Soundtrack" equipped. However the "Montage Soundtrack" did have a positive effect when training stats. A workout that was 79 min was reduced to 59 min with the "Montage Soundtrack" equipped, 75% of the original.

There also may be a bug with the Current Lineup menu. I will click on the icon, view my line-up, then click the back arrow and my line-up at HQ will be completely different. I am absolutely sure I am not accidentally clicking these characters.

I was having the same problem until I realized that when I hit the back arrow it was deselecting whichever character was underneath the arrow. Scrolling back up to the top before tapping the arrow will solve that problem, I promise.

Still loving the game, and can't wait for future expansions.

In terms of gameplay feedback, I've only got a couple of things to talk about, (that I don't think I've not read here yet.)

Scaling on the world map...

The scale feels fine on the iPhone, but on the iPad I really don't see why it has to be zoomed in permanently; the icons are really big compared to the phone and it kind of feels like I'm just nudging the map around, which was fine at the start, but now that I'm just grinding for the 2 rescue 100 achievements I feel it's kind of tedious to scroll around all the time.

The inventory...

Again this is mostly a patience consern, but it would be nice to see the abilities and items on the beginning of each battle so that you know where to tap right away before all the text is gone.

I guess there is a balance to how different the iPad version should be from the phone version, but to sum it all up I feel like layout improvements on different devices is the one thing I miss.

In general this is a cute game.

* Fun concept

* Well done dialog

* Interesting variety of heroes

Some suggestions for improvements:

UI

* Would like to be able to zoom in and out on the map so I can see all the zones at once. Scrolling around every time to collect coin is a pain.

* Vehicle rescue missions should show the vehicle going down a HILL, this would make a ton more sense.

* When I do delegate, it's annoying I have to go back into the map to collect the rewards. I'd rather a window just pop up while I'm in my base, or something I could click.

* When hiring a hero, it's annoying that I have to exit and go back into a pack to see a different variety of heroes. Just let me scroll through the whole list!

* I don't understand the point of selecting which heroes are in your current lineup ("max active 4"), since when you go into a mission on the map you can select any of them anyway (including ones you don't have ticked as being in your current lineup). Is this a bug? This might be a nice upgrade point, increase the max number of heroes you can have available for missions as you level up your managerial skills and expand your base.

Content

* I hate having to watch fire and runaway vehicle missions. Of all the things I'd want to delegate, these are in. Exactly the same every time, and not even any witty dialog, they're the last thing I want to be forced to watch.

* As I am a female manager in real life, I don't like being forced to be a balding male manager in the game. Why not let me pick from some custom manager appearances?

* I want way more heroes to choose from. I particularly want more female ones.

* I don't like that the heroes are the same in each pack (econo/adequate/deluxe). I'd like to see different heroes at each level. It would make more sense, too.

* A wider variety of costume changes for my heroes would be nice. Currently they each have only one upgrade. Why not offer lots of different styles and colours per hero!

* Definitely needs more variety in default mission types, there's only so many times you can repeat the 2 or 3 or so base "rescue office worker" missions.

* The pause before each mission starts is annoying (when you see the enemies punching the guy with the briefcase or whatever). After a few hundred times I really don't need to be forced to watch him cowering for a few seconds, let me click through it like I click through the dialog.

* Let me customize things like carpets, paintings, furniture style, wallpaper in my base. Ideally clicking in each room could bring up a list of the things you can upgrade appearances of, but at a minimum you could at least offer choices of entire room themes. If each upgrade costs gold coins then this is a good ongoing gameplay element to keep people playing, as well as a reason for impatient people to buy more coins. As an added bonus, maybe certain upgrades to certain room types add an additional bonus too - e.g. complete the "dungeon decor" redesign of your lounge and gain a damage bonus, complete the "luxury lifestyle" decor set in your lounge and gain a health bonus, etc.

* Although the game is clearly incomplete with more still to come, the end of the current content should still have a satisfying ending. Instead it just kind of fizzles out leaving you wondering if you missed doing something. Give me a big bad boss and a fanfare when I beat him and something obvious saying well done, come back soon for more zones, or something along those lines.

* I got through the game content super fast, I was done in under 2 days. You could afford to slow down progression through each zone and allow players more time to learn and train up their skills in the first zone or two in particular; when I reached the first and second boss fights I was still very unprepared.

Progression

* The ramp up seemed kind of steep. After the first zone I had serious trouble finishing the second and had to ignore all missions for a bit while desperately training and equipping my heroes. Seems this could have been a little more smooth.

* It doesn't seem possible for a hero you buy at Econo level and train up, to become as good as if you'd bought that hero at Deluxe level. Seems to me that they should equal out at the end; or better yet, that Econo heroes you put ALL that time and micro-management into should end up BETTER than the pre-bought Deluxe heroes. The effort/reward balance seems off, here. At least make them equal.

* Manager runs out of things to upgrade way too easily. Why can't he help research stuff?

* Once all zones on the map have been completed there seems to be no way to earn more Superium. Even though it says you get more for clearing the map, you don't. This means that when you reach the end game you can't even play more by collecting all the heroes; I did buy the coin copier and one batch of Superium but I'm not going to buy any more at a point where I've run out of game content. I would keep playing a bit longer if I could be completionist and earn the remaining heroes but as it is there's no point.

* one of the highest level research items is bonus experience, yet it's very difficult to have time and available manpower to research this until you are already max level. Seems this isn't balanced quite right.

Systems/abilities

* Many heroes seem to get an AoE ability that is just amazingly overpowered (examples: Crimebot's missiles, Sweet Justice's boulder toss, Surge Protector's lightning slap, etc.) Galaxy Girl, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have one at all and turns out to be really pretty worthless in comparison. Very imbalanced.

* I hate to say it, but the AoE attacks are (as mentioned) so overpowered that even with <20% success chance any hero with an AoE can solo any mission I've tried so far. They should maybe be tuned down a wee bit.

* Delegate is practically useless: heroes don't seem to use their special abilities at all unless you supervise, so even with the chance over 50% you can't trust they'll win. It's also way slower than watching, so doubly bad.

* the manager special abilities seem underpowered and not even worth using compared to heroes AoE abilities.

* having to constantly check the map and click each zone to collect the coin is really irritating. Why not add a manager ability you can learn to make him automatically collect the coins for you?

I've posted this before, but I'll reiterate on what I've said, as this is the most apt thread:

- The fighting is just really lacking in terms of enjoyment. There's no real strategy at all. Spamming Special Abilities are all that's required. When you Delegate a fight with a kick-ass team, they should win automatically. As Miyamoto once said: "If it's not fun, the player shouldn't be doing it" and it's not fun having to hand-hold your top-notch team.

- It's annoying not being able to manage all 8 of your characters at once. Some way of making it even easier to swap them out on the hub screen would be great!

- Please look at what stats are visible, as I don't think there's enough information at the moment. For example, I wouldn't send a hero into a fight with hardly any energy, but not all screens show their energy levels.

- It'd be great to have more villains!

I've defeated the Dragon foot once- think I'm getting close to the end (or at least the latest content). Love the game so far!

Would be nice if there was an interface to manage all employees at the same time to make sure everyone was assigned something (either training, recovering, relaxing, or researching).

The art and dialogue are spectacular! I think you guys should bring this to Steam one day to get even more players!

Just finished this game this morning. It's adorable, funny, and fun, which is what I loved about Costume Quest (in fact, CQ is what got me interested in this game and other 'smaller' games by your studio).

My only general observations are that, toward the end of the game, nothing is really a threat to a maxed-out team. I beat the last boss fight with two moves -- one max-level Anger Ball, and one max-level Lightning Slap. That was fun, but a bit of an anticlimax.

Also, I was disappointed to discover that, after I had saved up my Superium for ages to buy a max-level Galaxy Girl (my other heroes were at level 7-8), she was not at all competitive with them, power-wise. Her stats were something like 11/150/8, but Hothead was 28/120/5 and Capt. Premium was 24/240/2 ... at lower levels. I feel like getting high-level heroes is a wasted opportunity.

I've also had some of the bug problems others did, but didn't realize they were bugs at the time. I was disappointed by the Training Montage, but thought that GG's L3 ability was just supposed to take like three hours to train. The others I've submitted as bug reports.

Really looking forward to the next content update!

I keep forgetting to ask this, but why has my branch rating maxed out at 3970 when everyone else's seems to max out at 3980? And why did it max out so early in the game? I enjoyed watching my branch rating go up, but then it just stopped about half way through the game.

I keep forgetting to ask this, but why has my branch rating maxed out at 3970 when everyone else's seems to max out at 3980? And why did it max out so early in the game? I enjoyed watching my branch rating go up, but then it just stopped about half way through the game.

There's a bug :( It essentially stops going up when the Middle Manager hits max level, which is wrong. I have it fixed here and will be in the next content update!

When IS the next update, btw?

EXTREMELY SOON ThunderPeel......EXTREMELY.....

First off all, great game as usual from Double Fine. I bought the coin doubler to show my support, but I love the fact that you never feels constrained if you don't spend real money. Having beaten the game my only complaint is that having finished all the story content, there's just not enough to do. Now it seems like I only get one or two random missions at a time, and they're usually lower level encounters. I'd have saved the alien boss for a while to keep things interesting if I'd known there was such a steep drop-off. I never felt much incentive to buy any of the energy boosters, but I'd be totally down for dropping a buck or two on content packs with more missions. Even a difficulty setting or some other way to bump up the number of crimes would be nice.

To be fair though, when my sole complaint is "dammit, take my money Double Fine!", I'd say job well done.

This game is friggin' sweet! Totally helping me fill the void of not being able to iron brigade online. I just need to get the mrs. to update MMOJ so I can get the crowbar guy. All my characters are at lvl 8 now. I try to keep 1 researching, 3 making coins, and the rest in fights and I alternate them constantly so they all level up together fairly evenly. I'm saving up to buy the yak now. If I had money, I'd throw some at DF for making this thing. I'm too broke to even renew my live on the 360 right now. Seriously, I didn't think this thing would be this good. As far as Iron Brigade goes, I don't even know what to do in it anymore now that 'swamp without snipers' is done. Settlement is just impossible solo without snipers. Anyone with an ipod, ipad, iphone should have MMOJ.

Hi all,

First of all, this game is fantastic. In order to enjoy it even more, here are some things I have noted:

1) The battle concept should be turn base so that we can really plan it correctly. A little bit like heroes of might and magic saga when you enter in combat mode, you have time to cast spells and make attacks. The problem now is that it goes so fast that if you are using 4 heroes, you don't understand what is happening.

2) Is it possible to zoom out on the map with all the city in order to see everything in one screen (this is for the iPad) so that we don't have to scroll everywhere to collect coins.

3) Is it possible to save a configuration of heroes to go into an attack. I am using different configurations of heroes for different type of villains and it would be great to have a little button to save and load this config instead of having to chose which hero in which position and which power he will use.

4) Some side quests would be nice if we are considering an evolution of our heroes from city to city and make them a bit more difficult so that we need some side quests in some cases. Maybe an idea would be to have some side quests with other players on the internet but I guess that would be a tremendeous work.

5) As I said, last boss (allien) is way too difficult compared to the other ones :).

Anyway, thank you for the great work,

John.

1) It's interesting. The game started out quicker. And it slowly went a bit more turn based so that the player can understand the combat better. I can see how slowing it down more would help. The underlying code is all turn based anyway.

2) The feature is almost there. Perhaps on the next update.

3) I love the idea of pre-set teams. This would definitely take some interface work.

4) We had some ideas along those lines as well!

5) Yeah, the difficulty curve leading upto that fight isn't great. :(

For some reason Cosmic Crowbar doesn't seem to like his new outfit when I send him out to put out fires or stop runaway buses. When he shows up there will be a weird box of distortion that appears over him. It's kind of greenish and it flickers a lot as he moves, it looks a bit like trying to watch a locked out cable channel.

I really dig the game so I figured I should mention something, but it doesn't dampen my enjoyment one bit. I've tried to snap a picture of it with my cell phone but I'm horribly uncoordinated, though I could try again if it would help.

- edit - I thought he wasn't in his upgraded costume, but it seems that he is. And a I managed to nab a picture of it!

CosmicCrowbarBlocked_zpsb992a2fc.jpg

For some reason Cosmic Crowbar doesn't seem to like his new outfit when I send him out to put out fires or stop runaway buses. When he shows up there will be a weird box of distortion that appears over him. It's kind of greenish and it flickers a lot as he moves, it looks a bit like trying to watch a locked out cable channel.

I really dig the game so I figured I should mention something, but it doesn't dampen my enjoyment one bit. I've tried to snap a picture of it with my cell phone but I'm horribly uncoordinated, though I could try again if it would help.

- edit - I thought he wasn't in his upgraded costume, but it seems that he is. And a I managed to nab a picture of it!

CosmicCrowbarBlocked_zpsb992a2fc.jpg

WHOA!!! We'll check this out. Which device was this on?

The iPad. It's the newer one if that matters. Not the mini, but the one that came out just before it.

Serious question: did you guys seriously introduce meteorites that you could collect chunks of to enhance different powers and not even THINK to include psitanium?

Serious question: did you guys seriously introduce meteorites that you could collect chunks of to enhance different powers and not even THINK to include psitanium?

Serious Answer: HOLY CRAP WHY DIDN'T WE THINK OF THAT!!!! We'd have to figure out what the actual buff would be, but man, psitanium...brilliant!

Serious Answer: HOLY CRAP WHY DIDN'T WE THINK OF THAT!!!! We'd have to figure out what the actual buff would be, but man, psitanium...brilliant!

Maybe boosting intelligence or the effectiveness of special attacks? Based off of what it's said to do in Psychonauts...

This seemed like the right place to post this. I've been trying to get this game to run on my ipod 5 running version 6.1.3 but it crashes while it's loading.

This seemed like the right place to post this. I've been trying to get this game to run on my ipod 5 running version 6.1.3 but it crashes while it's loading.

Does it work if you load the game with Wifi disabled?

when I go to my inventory, I cant scroll all the way down on my last item so I am unable to equip it.

on iphone 4, the game is also crashing a lot, just crashed after fighting the hockey player guy, game recognized that I used abilities but not that I won the fight, very annoying. I think the crashing is more my phone than the game however

I have the same problem with not being able to see everything at the bottom of my inventory. I have ipod touch 4th and it seems to work fine, though. I think I have 6.1 ios still.

3. Show costume stats

There is no way to see what bonuses a costume gives after buying it.

Suggestion: Include some way to look at the costume - perhaps even include more costumes with different stats and have the option to change them?

5. Better button response

Sometimes buttons don't register a tap - or the animation (i.e. depressed button) plays, but the expected action doesn't happen. It's usually fixed with a second or third tap, but it's still a little annoying. I've had this most often on the after-battle report "Continue" button.

I second wrathman on these two. I don't mind not seeing stats if they're obvious (things like +20 pow), but I seem to remember Galaxy Girl costume #2 having some cool stat that DOESN'T show up on her stats page, and comparing her #2 costume to her #3 costume suddenly gets a lot harder if I can't remember what I'm comparing to what. I've also noticed that button response thing when collecting coins. This is my first smartphone, so I assumed I was doing something wrong and ignored it until wrath mentioned the issue.

Possible bug? I got a blue item from a random special mob fight, the Otherworldly Underpants. So far every non-yellow item I've gotten as a fight reward has been superior to items that can be purchased from the store. This particular item, though, has +7 armor while the purchased Kevlar Unitard has +8. Minor issue, just confusing. Edit: having gotten a second blue item and compared it to purchasable items, I realize they're supposed to be good, but not top-of-the-line. Now I'm simply amused that I've had better drop rates with purple items than with blue.