Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
masquerade

Borderlining racist

How about original HD gametrailers link, kthx?

http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrailerstv_player.php?ep=18&starttime=646

Basically: It looks like Resident Evil 4 to me (esp after seeing the masked chainsaw guy). But instead of killing tons of spanish-speaking Latino people (totally OK), it's Africans (obviously more racist).

I'm not saying either of the games aren't racist, and I'm not saying they are. I'm just saying, way to go with consistency, people who accuse this one of being racist.

Heh, you certainly got yourself worked up there, did you not? ;-P

I think by dubbing it as the same as Res 4 you are greatly overlooking this trailer. This seems to be on scale with a more apocalyptic Zombie-fest. Essentially, the first game where you actually have to survive the horde of brain munchers on top of you at every step. Which can be seen with all of the Zombies bearing down upon Chris. As though he has been dropped into a Zombie world and has to survive/make his escape. Res Evil had nowhere near this many crowds, outside of perhaps the bulldozer and start segment. It is a city being invaded by Zombies(which is apparent at the bridge scene) and it certainly looks difficult.

Heh, the racism can be looked at either way. But either you had no audio on your computer or it needs drawn to your attention:

"I knew it from the moment I arrived... there's no reason here. No humanity. Everywhere I look I find vacant stares. All I see is death..."

"Welcome to Africa".

A bit of a foolish move on Capcom's part. Heh, I do not think anyone says with conviction "it is racist". But nothing in Res Evil 4 suggested racism. Whereas some of the lines within the trailer are questionable and are only going to fuel debate. The violence is also bound to cause controversy; especially considering the Rwandan genocide was a mere 14 years ago and still hangs heavily over the minds many. Thus, graphic violence- such as the scene with the bat- regardless of Zombie elements, is likely to have many questioning Res 5.

Yeah, I think capcom should have thought that through a little more before selecting the games location. I however am not looking at it as if it's racist. I know plenty of people will, but so what. In 4 it was in Spain. The enemies were Spanish people! (Holy info cow!) In the other games, it was in America, so obviously it was caucasian zombies, but nobody complained about that. obviously. besides, in the Resi series, there have already been zombies who, when human, were other races in caucasian. I especially noticed this in the Wii FPS Resi game. I don't think Capcom ment it to be racist at all and I'm not saying that because I'm a big fan of the series. I hope they had put good thought into the public reaction though.

Now, who here wants a Jill Sandwich?

EDIT:

Whereas some of the lines within the trailer are questionable and are only going to fuel debate.

"My last partner was a woman."

Yeah, you can guess what the first thing came to my mind as Chris said that line.

I just took the quote to mean "Zombies have vacant stares. These Africans are zombies". It doesn't seem to imply at all "Africans have no humanity". There's obviously something wrong with them if they have those face mutilating things coming out of their mouths. If anything, he's being bias towards zombies.

Oh, I completely agree with that. The villagers (and friends) in Re4 had all that nasty stuff bursting from their faces too. Obviously saying taht they arn't human, but monsters. Same thing with the people in this game. They arn't human. I'm not implying anything racist, but all I'm saying is they're the same as the monsters in Re4.

5 looks like a more intense version of 4 to me, which rocks, seeing as I need a new challange. And did anyone else get 4 on the Wii? I already had the NGC version, but quickly got the Wii edition as soon as it came out. I love how much more intense it was than the original port!

I just took the quote to mean "Zombies have vacant stares. These Africans are zombies". It doesn't seem to imply at all "Africans have no humanity". There's obviously something wrong with them if they have those face mutilating things coming out of their mouths. If anything, he's being bias towards zombies.

Heh, of course we all know what it means and is suggesting; it is a Res trailer after all. Yet when something could quite easily have dual meaning(such as this) then you really are walking upon broken glass.

Doubt it. He's too busy being found guilty on 27 out of 31 various misconduct charges brought against him by the Florida BAR Association and friends.

Ahh, and the controversy spills over into these once tranquil forums. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this whole thing. I can see where both sides are coming from.

Hopefully Capcom can somehow find some sort of compromise or hope people don't freak out too hard about this.

Knowing politicians and the media, they will jump all over this like a ravenous Tiger. I mean, there coudn't possibly be more important things that need attention now. Like say our Economy? Or gas prices, robot attacks, dog food, etc.

Ahh, and the controversy spills over into these once tranquil forums. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this whole thing. I can see where both sides are coming from.

Hopefully Capcom can somehow find some sort of compromise or hope people don't freak out too hard about this.

Knowing politicians and the media, they will jump all over this like a ravenous Tiger. I mean, there coudn't possibly be more important things that need attention now. Like say our Economy? Or gas prices, robot attacks, dog food, etc.

Heh, that has been waning for many, many, years and I would be surprised if they were going to resolve the issue now. ;-P

Sorry, I may have not made it clear: I have no side upon the racism topic really; I would not say it is overly suggestive and I think the game looks sublime, and I have been a Res Evil fan since year dot.

I just feel Capcom could have been a bit wiser in their approach, rather than gloriously setting themselves up for easy slanderings.

I vaguely remember reading something about a statement or a trailer that shows that there are enemies of various races present in the game.

I do not think it is racist. (yet)

I do, however, think it is insensitive to place the game in Africa.

Although race fits into the equation, it might be more of an economic thing that's bothering us.

Many Africans struggle to survive, and basic necessities like clean water are often unavailable. Communities often have to contend with things like rape, violence and rampant corruption.

In school we learn about their difficult history, in the news we read about the tragedies and disasters that occur today, and we have a deep-seated guilt about how we're not doing enough to share our bright future.

In short, I am obliged to help these people. I would never want to kill them.

But instead of killing tons of spanish-speaking Latino people (totally OK), it's Africans (obviously more racist).

I'm not saying either of the games aren't racist, and I'm not saying they are. I'm just saying, way to go with consistency, people who accuse this one of being racist.

The important thing to recognize is that those "Latino people" were mostly self sufficient, and had a connection to modern civilization for any other needs. From the ending credits it is obvious they had a good life before the plague came. Many were probably living this lifestyle by choice, like the Amish. I'm not saying it's okay to kill these people, but there were no overwhelming feelings of guilt or empathy, no great impetus to actively help them and avoid doing harm. In RE4 it is easier to shelve our conscience and just accept it as entertainment.

Perhaps if Capcom made some sort of charitable donation to show their position on the matter, people would be more understanding. In fact, I think the story may be tied to the horrible genocides that have been occurring there--they may be using Zombies to explain its atrociousness in some context. (Hope that made sense...)

Well, we all know that obviously, they'll be infected with something, thereforth they are not actually human. As the trailer showed, it looks liek a form of the plagas. My guess is that there's going to be some connection between that and the T-Virus. The way Wesker wanted to get his hands on both made me think of a combination of the two in a future game (even though it was Ada who got away with the plagas). Just a little note to add, I figure. Also, game Informer had an artical on the game. In an interview, Capcom said something along the lines of wanting to base it where humans first came from. (Where they first came from, to where they supposably end or something? I dunno. Whatever.)

Basiclly, I think Capcom wasn't trying to PO anyone on purpose, but they really should have taken in world views a bit more. Or at least tried looking at it from another angle than how they were.

Yes, their concept was announced rather early on. They said Africa is where modern mankind began, and is where it shall end(although, not really).

In any sence though, I'm sure all of us Resident Evil fan boys and fan girls are all just as excited for this game. It's one of the reasons I got a 360. Brutal Legend was my main motivation, but Resi5 was the second part of that.

I love the look of the combat in 5. Resi4 was a huge challange on it's own (especially on the hardest difficulty. I've been playing that game for so long, but when the Wii version was released and I tried that hardest difficulty on there without the megaman gun, I died so many times. Sorry, I don't want to sound like I'm bragging our anything. I promise I'm not. Dx). The action as I said earlier, looks just like 4, but more intense, which should provide a great challange, and I can never resist one of those!

They also better have an unlockable outfit for Chris that was like Leon's original gangster outfit. Oh. My. God. *drools* I'm sure any other Resi girls here know exactly what I'm talking about. <3

Am I the only person in the world who didn't exactly love RE 4? It was def. an improvement and pretty cool. But I didn't really dig it as much as other people did. The combat and a few other things just felt off to me. I dunno. I might be interested in RE 5 down the road.

Am I the only person in the world who didn't exactly love RE 4? It was def. an improvement and pretty cool. But I didn't really dig it as much as other people did. The combat and a few other things just felt off to me. I dunno. I might be interested in RE 5 down the road.

I did not think Res 4 was a great as some claimed, no. Yet it was revolutionary in terms of the Res Evil series. However, that being said: I am not sure if it really matched the charm and charisma of the previous titles, if that makes any sense. ;-P Yet it is still one I find difficult to find real fault with; there is just something primal about blowing the head off a zombie with a shot-gun, and something that says "Magic."

I actually liked Resident Evil 4 more than what I played of the others. It seemed like too many of the scares in them came from fighting with the controls and stingy item/save system.

That was all part of the charm. Trying to flee those ravenous dogs(arguably the scariest videogame moment ever) with controls that made Leon feel as though he weighed four tons, was just a marvel to behold. Of course, the eerie door animations and the "Jill Sandwhich" line shall go down in history. Jill is still (by far)my favourite Res Character.

Yes, Resident Evil 4 was a more action heavy game and felt a lot tighter and sharper. But the whole scare-factor was all but lost.

I still remember many moons ago during a vacation, one of the family friends brought his PS1 and Res evil 1 along. It was the first time I had ever played a playstation and I thought the game was great/scary. I got one myself a few years later and got RE2 as well. It was fun, and is proabably my favorite of the series. (and yea the dogs busting through the windows=awesome)

I never really got to play RE3. I did get a chance once, and it seemed pretty similar. But it with a much hotter Jill. I Have RE code Veronica somewhere. I got it for like a dollar after the dreamcast died. I played it for like 30 minutes and never touched it again.

What kills the series for me is the whole searching for icons/random crap to open doors. Or lame unecessary backtracking. I just want to blow up zombies and hear really cheesy dialouge. The controls didn't bother me until after a while I realized they were insanely stupid. But we've come along way since then. I still didn't dig the controls or combat too much in RE4. It just seemed sort of cumbersome to me. I dunno. But the setting and the scary village with weirdos and crazy chainsaws was sweet.

Is there any info as to what they are changing or keeping with RE5? Is it going to control similar to 4? How many of you guys/gals are planing on buying 'em?

I was gonna post something here, but that post would make it sound like I was trying to start something :/

I never really got into the RE series, maybe I'll try when I'm older.

Well I think you should start something. It's what MJ would have wanted.

Spoilers:

I would say the scare factor was alive and kicking in RE4. Of course, there's the opening village scene, but there was also the part where you control Ashley, when you first meet that regenerator guy, when you're trapped in the hanging cages with the monster, and my favorite: when you find a jumping body bag in a dumpster for no reason at all. Honest to God I had to pause the game and walk away for a few minutes after that.

I forgot about the Hannibal-like caged beast wielding the claw(the one you had to shoot in the back), that ambiguous moving bag as well(but that was right at the end).

is this game coming out for the 360? im not sure if re4 came out for xbox (i got it for gamecube)

and the only next gen console i have is 360 and i really want this game!!

Yes, Resident Evil 5 shall be on the 360. Resident Evil 4 was a Nintendo only deal until Res fans kicked up a fuss about the fact the first 3 were upon the Playstation; heh, Shinji Mikami event went so far as to say he would behead himself if Res 4 ever ended up on the PS2. Poor man.

Hm...NEEDS MORE PC. They did it with RE4, it wasn't as good as the GCN version but it worked.

-gasp- Black people in Africa? Following up on a plot instead of making some random loop holes so people wont get pissy? Man this shit is unheard of! I mean what normal person makes a sequel that actually goes with the story and we all know black people don't live in Africa!

God nobody had a problem when you go around killing the Spanish but once you go to Africa the shit hits the fan! I mean sure they are blood thirst virus infected zombie people but who do you think you are defending yourself! White people aren't allowed to kill zombies that aren't white, it's against the zombie code of conduct! Oh wait zombies DON'T have a code of conduct they just eat people!

Seriously I'm not a big RE fan but if you called this racist or almost racist I feel bad for how PC your life must be. Seriously go back to gasping at the f word will ya?

1. Your not killing random black people for the fuck of it, they are zombies.

2. He isn't yelling white power when he kills one and I doubt the story has anything to do with ethnic cleansing.

3. IT'S IN AFRICA! Wtf do you want them to be blue or something?

The point is yeah they are black but when it comes to zombies or ghost or aliens or vampires it doesn't matter wtf they look like your going to wanna not get killed.

Edit: RE games are never that good, now Dead Rising? Thats a good game.

Me too. He hasn't eaten any hapless fool's hands lately.

Om nom nom, Action Shark is coming for you.

...hey that reminds me, is this forum completely unmoderated now, or what?

Sign in to follow this