Sign in to follow this  
Ron

Graphics - What tools do you use?

Hey!

What tools are used to do MMOJ's graphics?

Are you using Adobe Illustrator or Flash for drawing vector based sprites?

Photoshop?

What tools do you use to animate the graphics?

Really curious how you guys did the graphics for the game!

thanks in advance!

Hi Ron! Thanks for your question. The characters are vector based, drawn and animated in Flash. First I do a concept in Photoshop, then bring that into Flash and draw right over it. Every part of the character that is animatable is drawn on a separate layer. I chose Flash over Illustrator because Flash is faster and looser, and it cuts out the extra step of drawing in another program and importing to Flash for animation.

Once the animation is done we export an .swf file for each anim and take those into a program called Texture Packer. Texture packer packs all the swf files in a spritesheet that gets loaded into the game. Each character has several spritesheets. The fx are also drawn in flash btw.

The environments are created from tiles, drawn in Photoshop. The tiles are composited in a program called Tiled which exports each level/room separately. The fight areas are just big background images, painted in Photoshop.

I hope that answers your question. Have fun playing the game!

Hey, wow! What an amazing, detailed answer!

Thanks for that! This is really helpful information.

Just curious... Is there an advantage in exporting the animation frames as spritesheet over exporting the flash animation directly into the engine and let it calculate the animation paths in real time?

I guess it depends on the engine you use.

Just curious... Is there an advantage in exporting the animation frames as spritesheet over exporting the flash animation directly into the engine and let it calculate the animation paths in real time?

I guess it depends on the engine you use.

It's basically a memory vs CPU tradeoff. It's way way way faster to render a sprite from a sprite sheet than to rasterize vector art. The vector art takes a lot less memory, but in this case CPU is more important. This is especially important on mobile devices, where CPU time is precious indeed.

Thanks for clearing that up! Its great that you guys are so open with your workflow and procedures.

Keep up the great work! Looking forward to when MMOJ is released in Europe!