Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Paul O'Rourke

Music Sketches

Hey everybody, hope you are enjoying the Amnesia Fortnight process so far. Yesterday I worked on some music sketches for the main title screen, the forest area, and the castle area. I can't upload them directly but they are being added to the Double Fine Tumblr.

Here is a link to the sketch for the title cue.

http://doublefine.tumblr.com/post/37276673721/title-screen-music-for-hack-n-slash-by-paul

I'll update the post when the rest go up on Tumblr.

I really love the title screen music! The heavy bass gives it this chilling quality, which contrasts nicely the retro sounding melody. I think that's perfect for a game with a cute airy appearance that hides powerful secrets.

This is super cool so far. It definitely references the type of compositions you'd hear in older adventure/rpg video games, without actually being, say, chiptune music. Can't wait to hear more!

Oh man that dungeon theme is so on the nose. It's absolutely perfect. I also love the title theme too. It really evokes great memories of the opening of Zelda 2 (an admittedly less popular entry in the series but had great music.)

The one thing I feel is missing from the game is that iconic John Williams meets Nobuo Uematsu overworld theme that has become a touchstone of the Zelda series. I feel like that's an important nuance of this kind of game, wearing it's Zelda love so clearly on its sleeve.

Oh man that dungeon theme is so on the nose. It's absolutely perfect. I also love the title theme too. It really evokes great memories of the opening of Zelda 2 (an admittedly less popular entry in the series but had great music.)

The one thing I feel is missing from the game is that iconic John Williams meets Nobuo Uematsu overworld theme that has become a touchstone of the Zelda series. I feel like that's an important nuance of this kind of game, wearing it's Zelda love so clearly on its sleeve.

Thanks for your kind words! I would really like to write more music for this game but being that I have to do all the sound design and music in 2 weeks I had to budget my time on music down to 3 cues. Let's hope this game goes beyond being a prototype and gets all the great music it deserves :D

If I may say, the music so far is truly exceptional. The fact that this is an unfinished prototype made in a matter of days just blows me away.

The amount of talent present at Double Fine is simply unrivaled.

I was already extremely excited for this game, but having had a taste of the music that's going to be playing alongside it, I'm now beyond excited. All I can say is "amazing," and I fear that's not good enough a word to do the music justice. Keep up the great work, guys!

If I may say, the music so far is truly exceptional. The fact that this is an unfinished prototype made in a matter of days just blows me away.

The amount of talent present at Double Fine is simply unrivaled.

I was already extremely excited for this game, but having had a taste of the music that's going to be playing alongside it, I'm now beyond excited. All I can say is "amazing," and I fear that's not good enough a word to do the music justice. Keep up the great work, guys!

Hey, thanks man! We're busting our buns to make sure you guys get some awesome prototypes at the end of AF.

Edit: We're having a lot of fun too :3

First, I want to say that I love the music you made for this game. Second, after seeing so much great fan art throughout the course of this Amnesia Fortnight, I couldn't resist my urge to pay homage to some great music. This one's for you Paul:

https://soundcloud.com/cody-predum/inside-castle-cover

Ha! Nice, I'm truly humbled. I dig your style man, thanks so much for posting this :D

Thanks Paul, I'm glad you like it. I just got done playing through the prototype and I have to say it's totally sweet. I loved all the sound effects, too. Everyone did a great job, especially for a two week project.

Reid: I'm totally flattered.

Sign in to follow this