Sign in to follow this  
yuenkay

The Environment Day 7

Today the bulk of the traversal game space got put in. The previous days I was sort of making regions here and there look good, but the giant chunk of the actual player path did not exist. The big tower was pretty empty. Andy spent all day today figuring out where the player needs to go to get the puzzles to work. Basically he would just take cubes I made that has collision and place them inside the tower, and playthrough, change stuff, playthrough, iterate iterate, to figure out how you go from spot A to spot B.

While Andy is doing that, I tried to figure out how hard/easy it is to take some of his placement of cubes and make it into more custom art that looks, well, less like cubes. I don't really mind the cubes, but if we could make something look like a collapsed platform instead of 6 cubes, all the better. More important it's kind of not smooth to walk along 6 cubes with slightly different collision heights.

I also textured the inside of the tower walls a bit. Not looking for anything really detailed here, just a bit of contextual shading that is a tad better than gray is fine, I basically don't want to call attention to the walls... too detailed, you'd look at it. Too ugly, you'd look at it too. Part of it was streamed, here it is.... oh, Greg hasn't posted it on Twitch. I'll add the link later.

Sometime during the livestream my walls turned yellow. I managed to un-pee the walls shortly after the stream ended. Oh pun.

In short, today is a bit lighter for me, more of a jogging pace, which is a good chance for me to take a breather. Tomorrow I'll have to try to make all the cubes into not-cubes which is a LOT of work, so, back to running pace tomorrow. Hopefully the first puzzle will actually be playable as well.

Two screens here. They don't *look* too visually different than yesterday, but you can now climb from the beginning to the top (cheating the puzzles since they're not working yet), so WAY more game, which is the important part. Andy block modeled these awesome shapes at the top, which adds a lot of character, and hints at what the tower could be lie above (beyond the prototype!)

You guys are amazing... I hope after all this go-go-go you have some time to unwind and relax a bit...

Wow! That looks really great! This is going to sound really weird, but some of my relatives lived on farms when I was growing up, and when I look at that top picture, it reminds me of being a tinier version of me and going into these gigantic old barns and silos, and then looking up and seeing nothing but sunbeams and rafters criss-crossing up into the darkness, and then wondering why it went up so high and what was up there.

Old barns/silos aren't as interesting as magical towers, I guess, but it resonates with some part of the child in me at any rate. =D

I haven't commented so far I think, so I'll just say that this is looking super amazing, I'm really excited to see this whole thing in real time.

Good thing the Friday after AF is the annual company Holiday formal party (yes we try to get dressed up for it!) it will be a very welcome way for everyone to relax and celebrate! For many people on the White Birch, especially programmers like Chad and Ben Peck, this is literally right after having to work long days to wrap up the Cave, so those guys reeeeally could use some well deserved down time later next week!

I don't imagine there will be time during the prototype, but I'd love to see a bit more character to the tower, written carvings, statues and the like if this becomes a legit game. Maybe even some scrolls that tell of adventures of previous explorers, and those that created the tower.

Not saying the design and textures aren't coming through, the tower is looking amazing! :D

Haha yes, that would be super fun to make! But alas as you said, beyond the scope of a 2 week prototype with just me doing most of the environment art.

That's looking pretty freakin' cool with those lights and those textures everywhere.

Looks amazing. Some of the stonework is giving me flashbacks to Brutal Legend (which I love), while overall I'm getting a bit of an Escher vibe, which is equally great. Can't wait to see more.

I love the light rays coming in, it makes the whole place feel so mystic and majestically wondrous. The whole environment gives me ico/zelda vibes, and I hope you will include places that act as both pauses and vistas for players to stop at after navigating and solving stuff, so you can look around and take in the beauty of the place and contemplate of the path you have taken up to that point. Those are the best moments I know, when at the beginning of the game you look up and think "Do I need to get up there? How do I do that?!", and after playing a while you stop up, look down and think "wow, I have come a long way since I first started down there!" :D

I love the light rays coming in, it makes the whole place feel so mystic and majestically wondrous. The whole environment gives me ico/zelda vibes, and I hope you will include places that act as both pauses and vistas for players to stop at after navigating and solving stuff, so you can look around and take in the beauty of the place and contemplate of the path you have taken up to that point. Those are the best moments I know, when at the beginning of the game you look up and think "Do I need to get up there? How do I do that?!", and after playing a while you stop up, look down and think "wow, I have come a long way since I first started down there!" :D
that first shot is... so much feel.

The girl looks really ethereal there, maybe a Yorda afterglow would suit her fine.

Sign in to follow this