Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Mitchell

It's alive!

All the other games are posting lots of screenshots. We haven't really been doing that much! So here's one from tonight.

Big milestones visible:

- Working tile set rules! Building stuff is fun.

- Lots of character heads and bodies from Bagel

- Character inspect UI where you can see their stats and personal logs.

- Lots of other stuff I forgot about!

Obviously there's still tons to do, but it's actually looking like a game now!

Looking really cool! I love the little touches like being able to see the wiring inside the walls. Are the colored floor tiles indicative of 'zoning' or just aesthetic?

Looking really cool! I love the little touches like being able to see the wiring inside the walls. Are the colored floor tiles indicative of 'zoning' or just aesthetic?

Those tiles are still temp, but you got it! The floor indicates what the room function is. We'd really like to get wall tiles to change as well, but it's a polish item that is non-essential for a prototype.

Will the personal logs have a stronger social network vibe, or will you go with a more functional and less quirky one?

I hope you have time for the quirkiness as SpaceFace sounded brilliant.

Holy crap that looks great! I'm kind of amazed at how much progress you guys have made in the last couple days.

Will the personal logs have a stronger social network vibe, or will you go with a more functional and less quirky one?

I hope you have time for the quirkiness as SpaceFace sounded brilliant.

The goal is for it to read entirely like a social network log, yeah.

MISC COMMENTS (unsorted):

You did good on the stream, Burger!

I like the direction you went with the color pallet; the retro yellowish walls are the most interesting direction you could have gone I think -- though the combination of bright floors, props, and social network puns sabotage the Moon aesthetic. Which is only a slight bummer ;3

A tiny lol at Chris's laptop-on-desk setup while the other composers have these crazy audio battlestation caves.

your music stream was good Chris! though the stream quality throughout fortnight has been painfully amateur (the iphone wanderings especially are practically unwatchable)

How the team all interact with the game builds/pushing things to a server is really fascinating.

JP blinks often & with gusto.

I really want to work at doublefine.

Is that voxn's chainsmoking engineer, I see? =D

cool :D!

MISC COMMENTS (unsorted):

You did good on the stream, Burger!

I like the direction you went with the color pallet; the retro yellowish walls are the most interesting direction you could have gone I think -- though the combination of bright floors, props, and social network puns sabotage the Moon aesthetic. Which is only a slight bummer ;3

A tiny lol at Chris's laptop-on-desk setup while the other composers have these crazy audio battlestation caves.

your music stream was good Chris! though the stream quality throughout fortnight has been painfully amateur (the iphone wanderings especially are practically unwatchable)

How the team all interact with the game builds/pushing things to a server is really fascinating.

JP blinks often & with gusto.

I really want to work at doublefine.

Is that voxn's chainsmoking engineer, I see? =D

cool :D!

Neat! I sort of agree with you on the 'moon aesthetic' thing. This is an interesting project in that regard. 3 of the 5 prototypes are lead by art directors/concept artists, so visual direction was pretty much set from day zero. On Spacebase, we have a team of 3 artists who have been working on different projects. JP as a project lead wanted to defer art decisions to the group of us. It took a few days to get things figured out, but I think it looks cool. If we were to make a full game out of this, there would be a period of pre-production where these sort of things could be nailed down from the start instead of spending 30% of the production time on it.

Also, for those of you who were watching me noodle on the stupid door, here's the final door tiles!

doors.png

doors.png.cf010fdece3efb127dc480360d0c96

Why the Star Trek 2009-style stardates? I always liked the {count of days}.{part of day} type used in TOS-VOY better. (Ent just used plain ol' Gregorian, if memory serves)

It's looking sweet! I cant wait to make a space station that is one long corridor. Man, morale will be the worst.

It's looking sweet! I cant wait to make a space station that is one long corridor. Man, morale will be the worst.

Only one bedroom with a lot of beds for every creature in the base, and one single person bathroom at the far end of the space station.

Sign in to follow this