Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bent

Which team's prototype seems to be turning better than you thought it would? What unexpected thing do you like about it?

Which team's prototype seems to be turning better than you thought it would?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Which team's prototype seems to be turning better than you thought it would?

• Hack 'n' Slash
    • Spacebase DF-9
    • The White Birch
    • Autonomous
    • Black Lake
    • The prototypes are turning out exactly like I thought they would because I'm smart! So, NYAH :P

We're more than a week into Amnesia Fortnight and the prototypes have all begun to take shape. What prototype seems to be turing out better than you thought it would? What is it about it that's impressed you?

Autonomous. Very innovative in every possible way.

It has the foundation of an AAA title while also breaking ground.

Unexpected thing: The dynamic glowing edges and the retro feel that also looks modern and awesome.

Black Lake. I wasn't getting much of an idea for how it would actually PLAY from the pitch, but the art direction is really impressing me and I like the sensory puzzle concept. Glad it snuck in as game #5 in the voting.

Yeah, I'd have to agree and say Autonomous. I was kind of skeptical at first, but then I saw the team that formed around it and couple days later saw some of the gameplay and I decided that I really wanted to play it. Also at one point the visual style reminded me of the arcade game Battlezone. I don't know if that is still in the game in some form or another or if that was just sort of a place holder, but I found it aesthetically pleasing.

For me it became a toss up between Black Lake and Autonomous.

Black Lake seemed promising but I had yet to see how it would work to be convinced. There seems to be a game in there and I got stoked after watching the 2pp video when they showed the sensing mechanic (smell). It'll be interesting to see if they manage to get in more mechanics to track animals than to follow trail. There is much potential in this game.

I wasn't interested in Autonomous initially until they started getting together the game mechanics, judging from the 2pp video with the robot that shoots "hamburgers" in hilarious ways. In the end I voted for Autonomous because I'm a sucker for the 80's TRON graphics.

I was first rooting for Hack n' Slash in the beginning, but we have yet to see how the hacking mechanic will work in the game.

Autonomous came together a lot faster than I expected and I like the potential emergent gameplay that will come from its design. Very impressed.

I also think Spacebase looks really good, but it's more or less exactly what I expected.

Autonomous is looking really great, as are all the others, but for the poll I'm going with Spacebase. Out of the top 5, it was the game that seemed the least interesting to me, but now that I've actually seen some of the ideas and concepts in action (or at least put out there in the videos) I have to say I'm really excited to see where it's going, and how much they'll be able to get in by the end of the Fortnight.

I picked Autonomous mostly because I had initially kind of written off that one. But I'm pretty amazed how how gorgeous it's looking now and how much fun it's starting to look.

Overall though I'm kind of amazed at how great all five are looking already. Especially after only a little over a week!

White Birch. In this case I think I didn't really understand what was being pitched. It seemed like one of the only games pitched (not just winning) that I could care less about, but the actual game is looking pretty awesome and fun.

White Birch for me. The pitch seemed overly ambitious for a two week thing, but it actually seems to be coming along nicely. It's a shame that Andy seems to be bumming about the art. There are weird normal issues but otherwise it looks very beautiful and

"Team Ico-y".

Its hard to choose, the games have come a long way and are all starting to look really nice, i knew i would automaticly like white bitch based off the pitch,

but i have to give it to Autonomous. The visual style they have nailed down is looking so good (i love those retro futurist tron vibes) and it seems to have lots of interesting and quirky things to play with. Also seems like the kinda game that has endless possibilities and lots more potential than what they can achieve in the few weeks available.

I expected them all to be pretty amazing, and they're definetly turning out to be (at least visually, gameplay will be likely 'basic' given their incredibly short timeframes to work).

I'm hoping these prototypes give enough of a 'first look' to get funding for full games. Loving the art style and lighting effects of White Birch, Black Lake, and Autonomous, and Hack n' Slash should feature some great gameplay and Spacebase hopefully a 'cool' atmosphere with all the interactions/technobabble.

So, granted, it's only a couple votes right now, but I am surprised that so many voted for Autonomous as being their biggest surprise! Huh?

If you know a little bit about these people working at DF - as you probably do, since you all registered - you would not be surprised about their ability to actually m a k e cool stuff? Even in the shortest of times? It seems your expecations on how cool Autonomous could be were lower when you heard the pitch, the first time?

Anyway...

... for me, it's not about any of the teams capabilities, but rather about the complexity of their games.

The three more game mechanics driven games - Autonomous, Hack & Slash, DF-9 - although also very ambitious, I could see those projects, from early on, being able to crank out some code and build around it. Of course, all of this is HARD and crazy and takes more time than any of these teams really have.

My concerns were more attached to games, trying to capture adventuresque "mood" and "atmosphere", "feel" and "style": Black Lake/White Birch.

Andy, pitching his game, name-dropping "Ico" and "Journey", Levi having his idea brooding for a year and now only having two weeks to present "something" - I confess, those were the games, whose fast progress over the last couple days amazed me the most.

These concerns have nothing to do with the teams. They have rather to do with me alone and my inexperience with following professional video game development.

Only they know how hard this is, what they are doing right now, and I sincerely hope, they are not wasting their time, reading these public forum posts - only adding noise to their busiest time.

I believe Autonomous is ahead (their emerging gameplay with the automatons is just hilarious and the graphics are gorgeous). But all of the projects really impress me, it is almost unbelievable they can pull off such stuff in under 2 weeks. I feel they are very smart and I am very dumb (in a sort of good humbling way). :)

I am really looking forward to play all of them!

When I watched the pitch video for Spacebase, it sounded sort of complex and a little dry. But when I watch the daily 2-Player Production videos, I almost always find myself most interested in the progress of the Spacebase more than any other game. It sounds like the sort of game where you'd have a hand in creating really interesting little ecosystems to get lost in for a while. Plus, the art style is really charming!

In my opinion, they're all turning out rather different to expectations. The ones I had the most enthusiasm for are, in fact, kind of different from my expectations, and the ones that I paid little or no interest to are the ones that I'm really excited about.

Except, maybe, for Spacebase -- seems to be delivering exactly what it promised!

I'd have to say that all of the games are turning out better than I thought they would. I knew they'd all be good since they're being made by Double Fine, but I've been completely shocked at how much each team has been able to accomplish in two weeks.

Also, I went into this only interested in Spacebase out of the 5 winners, but all of the games won me over pretty quickly as I've watched them develop. I'm very excited to play with all the finished prototypes!

What slagathor said. Every game is delivering something different than what I expected. I only really liked White Birch at first (go artsy gamer, me) but then I saw the rest of the games as began to be fleshed out, developed, augmented, etc. and now all but Spacebase really excite me.

Spacebase isn't really a disappointment, since I'm intrigued by the RTS/Sims mixture, it just seems kind of underwhelming from what I've seen/what I expected. It's cute and quirky, but I'm yet to see its potential. I'll reserve judgment on it until I get more info on where it's headed, since it's been mostly art and programming from them with little in the way of a solid gameplay or game flow update. Can't wait to see all of these prototypes done.

Autonomous and SpaceBase seem like prototypes that I'll continue to play and come back to, so that seems pretty sweet neat.

Smiles

hack n slash has so few votes because we still don't know anything about how the game turned out besides its visuals, but its probably going to end up being the best game (please be true)

When i saw the "bug" in hacknslash which turned the character into 4 characters I immediatly thought of Braids gameplay. Other than that it's really hard to know how hacknslash will play. Will there be any slashing?

For some reason, Hack N Slash was the only pitch I didn't read, and subsequently assumed was just a Zelda clone. Now that I've seen it come together and understand what it's about I'm infinitely more excited to play it and pleased by its progress!

For some reason, Hack N Slash was the only pitch I didn't read, and subsequently assumed was just a Zelda clone. Now that I've seen it come together and understand what it's about I'm infinitely more excited to play it and pleased by its progress!

Yeah, it was one of the last pitch videos I watched based upon the name, but when I heard Brandon's vision for it, I was really intrigued.

Sign in to follow this