• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
yuenkay

The Environment Day 9

I totally didn't post on Day 8! I think i was pretty fried last friday.

Today I was finishing up customizing the whole path. Customizing means, taking individually placed block in the MUE, and make them look like a pile of rubble or whatever, and have them in the correct world space to take lighting / shadow from their neighbors.

You can see more of what I'm talking about in this live stream: http://www.twitch.tv/doublefine/b/346942401

I think I start at about 7:05

Thank you to whoever drew me that Maya crash cat! It's so great! Sorry I didn't catch your name!

I think the lighting and the climates are finally nailed pretty good along with the baked vertex lighting. I did set up another climate so you start pretty cool near the lower part of the tower (like the first screenshot), and it warms up and the lighting gets harsher when you get higher up. I'm pretty happy with where it is now. Tomorrow hopefully I can target polish items such as:

1) tweaking some heights where the jump/ledge grab feels awkward

2) doing more texture/UV tweaks

3) where we get really close to the bare wall, add some interest, like break it up or something

Now that I'm happy with the lighting, and all the asset files are set up with the light rig, it'll be pretty trivial to rebake the lighting after some minor geo changes (Texture polish won't even require a relight).

Looking at these images suddenly makes me nostalgic for Super Mario 64. Sorta reminds me of the Tick Tock Clock level, which was a platforming level where you climbed various platforms to reach the top of the inside of the clock. Some similarities in the platforming!

Tick_tock_clock.jpg

I think you can rest Jane.

It looks like all that needs to be worked on is the girl's face a little bit more and then getting the bugs and gameplay just right.

The actual environment, game design is just beautiful.... I don't know what could be added at this point in the stage till the game was given a greenlight for further development.

haha, well, i'll have to say, a lot of these screenshots are taken by debug camera, so i'm cheating a bit.

Tho it'll be nice if we can put some of these shots in, like, if the girl is just standing at a certain vista point for a while, idling, then maybe we can swing the camera to the "pretty" angle.

Thanks everybody! There is still polish to do today but yeah, hopefully all the other pieces that are still in flux will come together at the end of today.

omg that image suddenly makes me SUPER nostalgic for Mario 64!

In the company employee directory, both Tim and I put Mario 64 as our favorite games..

its the best! best game ever made IMO :D

In the company employee directory, both Tim and I put Mario 64 as our favorite games..

Mario 64 is great, but Metal Gear wins everything... Hideo Kojima ftw~ :P

Mario 64 is great, but Metal Gear wins everything... Hideo Kojima ftw~ :P

I must say, MGS1 is SOOO GOOD! although, once I beat that game, I went back and played the origional NES metal gear (wich as a kid I could not figure out wtf was going on) and realised, holy crap, everything I loved about Metal Gear Solid, was in the ORIGIONAL!? how insane is that!

I cant believe Kojima was able to think of all that amazing gameplay way back in like what, 1984? and make it work on a NES!? That is just nuts! You are right, it has got to be in the top 5 games ever made.

Also, on a side note, I first played MGS on hard mode, it had no radar, that was such a fun way to play that game. Having to explore and watch guards with your own eyes, plotting their paths and your attack, rather than on the radar! but.. the downside was, the final boss, as far as I was concerned, was impossible to beat on hard mode :( . So I never got to see the ending /cry

It is a super amazing game. I especially love a game that is full of "secrets", and Mario 64 was bursting at the seams with 'em. So many happy surprises and discoveries. I think it must be the hardest thing to make a "secret" in a game that actually feels like a secret and makes the player feel super clever for getting it, rather than making something that was obviously meant to be found. And Mario 64 has so many! And they're all so good!

More secrets!

Plus the way the game had a habit of not explicitly telling you the objective, and instead gave you a sort of riddle in the title of the star you were going for, and part of the fun was figuring out how the riddle applied in the level. BRILLIANCE.

It is a super amazing game. I especially love a game that is full of "secrets", and Mario 64 was bursting at the seams with 'em. So many happy surprises and discoveries. I think it must be the hardest thing to make a "secret" in a game that actually feels like a secret and makes the player feel super clever for getting it, rather than making something that was obviously meant to be found. And Mario 64 has so many! And they're all so good!

More secrets!

Plus the way the game had a habit of not explicitly telling you the objective, and instead gave you a sort of riddle in the title of the star you were going for, and part of the fun was figuring out how the riddle applied in the level. BRILLIANCE.

but the question, did you find all the secrets in Costume Quest? There was one in the Mall, that friends of mine actually called me on the phone to find! :D

More secrets!

but the question, did you find all the secrets in Costume Quest? There was one in the Mall, that friends of mine actually called me on the phone to find! :D

Oh no! I actually don't remember! It's been so long since I finished Costume Quest!

*Dave G horrified that I've been neglecting CQ*

But if it makes you feel any better, I played it non-stop start to finish!

More secrets!

I recently just 100%d "Costume Quest". Are you referring to the Mall Quest with all the contestants and the judges? Or the Unicorn Costume Quest? I remember this one Chest all the way to the Left of the Mall that was guarded by tracks. There was some sort of trick where you had to follow the tracks to actually get to it.

Anyway. Both of those Quests gave me trouble and I left them to solve right before the end Boss...

Great game.

More secrets!

I recently just 100%d "Costume Quest". Are you referring to the Mall Quest with all the contestants and the judges? Or the Unicorn Costume Quest? I remember this one Chest all the way to the Left of the Mall that was guarded by tracks. There was some sort of trick where you had to follow the tracks to actually get to it.

Anyway. Both of those Quests gave me trouble and I left them to solve right before the end Boss...

Great game.

Yea! it was the unicorn one, follow the tracks allll the way to nowhere and you find the chest! To me its a no brainer, if there is path that doesn't stop you, go down it = find treasure! :D but a lot of people I knew were like ARG I CANT FIND IT!

I loved the judge contest! That was my favorite addition to exploration mode, it was funny to put that one together! I hope you liked it.

I wanted to put one more secret passage in the ArrCade, because I love arcades! anyway.. I hope you enjoyed it! I'm stoked you 100

Sign in to follow this