Sign in to follow this  
tarasis

Live feed playthrough

I'm just watching the live stream of Autonomous being played. It looks awesome, I can't believe how polished it looks. (even with the few bugs)

Great work guys, I LOVE the style of it.

Based on the discussion after the livestream, it seems like a flawed game, but there are a lot of cool ideas in here, and it will be fun to start building things and playing with the world. Really really cool looking as well.

Yeah, the presentation is spot-on perfect, but the gameplay needs to be smoothed out some. Which is fine -- this is a prototype, after all. I think the most important thing is that it shows PROMISE and a hell of a lot of it.

I think this could work as a paid-alpha development style release, or as a traditionally published release. And what they've made so far will be perfect for selling the idea to publishers.

Good jorb, Homscrap!

It looks awesome. I really wasn't waiting for this game in the beginning but now i can't wait to play it. Congrats !

Finally got to watch this stream tape on this one.

Lee's decision for no tutorial seems like it'll be the biggest of the headaches. If/when Autonomous goes to full development that idea needs to be scrapped. There needs to be a little hand holding for the first part just so you're in tune to the new world that exists in front of you.

I understand Lee's concept, but as I'm watching it, that even Lee had difficulty means that the prototype is awesome, but a flawed one and not just in buggy way, but as a flawed game, but it proves that it could totally totally work and be fun.

The size of the world, the graphics and concepts are all there, but at least from the stream, I feel like I'll be lost the most playing it, which isn't a bad thing, it's just a thing.

Watched it last night before bed! It looks like the gameplay could use some polishing up, but the core concept is in there and looks like it has a lot of potential.

The one thing in particular that surprised me in a good way that I didn't really expect was how the game actually seemed to play a lot like a huge first-person roguelike.

One thing that I thought I would see more of that I did not see were automatons that were not designed around combat. The automatons all had a number of variables you could adjust in their heads, but as far as what those variables meant and the kinds of primitives you could pick up and attach to the automatons, everything seemed centered around RTS design: 1) get more energy from energy towers, 2) build more minions to fight for you, 3) don't get killed by robots.

I know it's just a prototype and that Lee & Co. had other ideas for automatons and game modes and that "energy grab" was just the minimum goal for the prototype, but I really liked some of the other ideas that were originally floating around. Ideas for automatons that had "programs" not at all related to harvesting or fighting. Environmental problems to solve with the automatons rather than just "robots are trying to kill me" problems.

I agree that the prospect of multiplayer seems highly promising, and beefing up the roguelike qualities for single-player mode seems like a great direction to go with it.

It is definitely the most fun game to watch people play. It looks like a game that groups can enjoy because of the antics, which is always fun.

Smiles

I really liked the game, it was the most fun and hilarious. It seems hard but I actually like that because this is just a prototype made in 2 weeks and easily provides hours of good gameplay. I think the final game would be awesome, implementing a lot of new stuff and organizing a little the maps could result in one of the coolest game ever!

This is absolutely a game with some multiplayer potential. I can see it being 4 player, each player starting at a different corner and battling it out.

I think at very least this prototype shows a massive amount of potential, and I wouldn't be ready to write off the gameplay just yet. It seemed to me that a lot of the difficulties that people were having with the game came from the inability (or perhaps unwillingness) to take their time and think their strategies out. I think this could be due to the preferences of those who played it on the livestream, but is more likely to be because A) they were playing in front of an audience and felt pressure to play in a faster-paced more entertaining way, and B) they had a very limited amount of time at their disposal (even the DF members who played it off stream only had about half an hour to do so).

Most of the time when they were constructing their automatons, they spent very little (if any) time programming them or adjusting their energy distribution. As a result, their creations were often destroyed by the other automatons in the world. It's very possible that they should do a bit of re-balancing here, since it seemed non-created automatons would gang up on the ones you built and make short work of them. This could be fixed by making player controlled automatons slightly more powerful than those in the world, or giving players the option of making them more powerful at a greater cost of energy when building them. But at the end of the day I think a bit more careful planning would certainly make the game much more playable/winnable.

I have a lot more thoughts on the prototype, but I'll hold off until I've played it. I know nobody here meant to be dismissive of Autonomous, I just don't think it's a good idea to overstate perceived gameplay flaws before we've played the game ourselves. It's entirely possible that the gameplay has a number of rough edges. I'm looking forward to playing it to find out.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to also mention that there were a few bugs in the live feed playthrough that REALLY affect the playability that are currently fixed and will be be in the build you can download!

That is awesome to read Lee!

Discovering that the reason the Stacking prototype isn't being released because it's essentially just the first level of the final game that changes/differences aren't enough to really to make notice is what jumped my excitement for Autonomous. Knowing that wasn't even final build still and you're being allowed to fix some bugs still before Friday is killer.

I'm looking forward to the repaired gameplay and mechanics since the world/ambiance is quite robust. Watching the original stream, I wished they had an inventory and that the game would pause for robot building.

... after all these days and sleepless nights, they have STILL been working today on their games just for us humble-bundled fans?! We are unworthy!

I would be even deeply satisfied, if the game would just crash on my PC (which it won't)! At least I have seen the magic for a couple seconds. But far from it, it's gonna be sweet?

And the fan discussion will be more interesting and profound after we all had our hands on it?

But even that will not satisfy some, because they are rather unfamilar with the concept of "prototypes" or "builds" in general - nothing that the general public usually gets to play ... or even see. How many of you here (non-gamedevs) have played 'early builds' or prototypes before? Probably some - but many not?

I'm just saying. Be aware of what this is ... and what it is not. Even if this seems to be way more than the usual. :)

[edit] debugged typo/bad punctuation

I'm looking forward to the repaired gameplay and mechanics since the world/ambiance is quite robust. Watching the original stream, I wished they had an inventory and that the game would pause for robot building.

I kind of like that the game doesn't pause while building. :)

Smiles

I expect that multiplayer is one possible way to go with this. If that is the case, then pausing to build wouldn't be possible.

Sign in to follow this