Sign in to follow this  
Ephezius

Love Letters to Double Fine and 2PP

This thread makes me feel weepy. I miss the livestream and the instant interactions with you guys.

Then turn it back on :D

This thread makes me feel weepy. I miss the livestream and the instant interactions with you guys.

Then turn it back on :D

I think it's a bit premature to move in with you, Double Fine, I mean...sure we've been in a great relationship for a year now, but we really need consider this sort of very big step. We don't want to create any of those awkward moments where we grow sick of living with each other. Sometimes a couple of booty-calls, or in the case of AF, a two week-ish booty call, are best, at least while we are both at this stage in our life. That doesn't mean I'm not open to a more committed relationship, I mean, I totally love spending time you, Double Fine, and you are all I could ever want, and I mean, your humor? Oh my gosh it takes me to giggles. What I am trying to say, I think, is that, well I love you.

Smiles

Maybe you could do a monthly or even bi-monthly livestream where we get to interact with you guys. :)

Thanks so much for hanging out with us for two weeks! It was definitely an entirely new experience, a gratifying and wonderful one.

Let me just say, even though I didn't post here during AF I immensely enjoyed all the videos (and I occasionally watched a bit of the live stream too) and really, Double Fine and 2PP are just the best. Between this, Reds and all the other stuff involving the people you're actually making games for, you're my favorite game company currently. You guys deserve all the praise you get and even more!

I loved Amnesia Fortnight so much because it was a glimpse into the future. I feel far to little people are fans of game studios that make games they like. It definitely needs to be a more widely accepted and known thing, that actual people make games, and they are more important than the games they make because of the personal investment they put into their work. You guys and girls at Double Fine are like a crazy awesome Rock Band, but way more people, way more prolific, consistent, and more talent. I say rock stars of the future because you are pushing the boundaries of your art form, DF has a personality, and there is only one Double Fine. Game studio fanbases will crush any band's fanbase in the future. I swear Double Fine will have bigger influence in the world than Iron Maiden eventually.

Through this 2 weeks I now recognize every face seen in the livestreams, know the names of many, which is a very different experience from the first day where I was looking for the few names I knew. I feel very happy and to be honest, its like I got a shot of creative steroids or something, watching Double Fine work hard has motivated me more than I've been motivated in a couple years. I swear all it has to do with is knowing some other people that are following their dreams. Even if you don't know them personally, just being able to watch them go through their own struggles, and coming out of the other end with something, it helps me a lot to not quit in my own efforts. This experience has also helped me realize what parts in a game idea are possible to change over time, and which ones were clear as day from the initial pitch that a specific thing would be impossible to achieve in the given time. It has taught me a lot about explaining something with clear enough detail, which details are most important, and also how to explain my opinion with more clarity.

I bet a ton of people are obsessed about working at Double Fine or getting an internship because of this. But you guys are crazy rock stars, and thinking that (in my mind) is just as crazy as saying I want to be in Van Halen. Through watching the last 2 weeks I've learnt a lot about what each different person's general responsibilities are, how each different game took form at a different pace, but not much at all about technical details, because it would simply be too much information and turn into a lesson. I love how pushing the standards of communicating to your fans has led to some very interesting results, from the games that got picked, to how the community has reacted to each individual Double Finer.

My only regret is that its now over with no type of future community outreach set up. I love the podcasts, but they need to be treated as a total joke, no seriousness at all, a place where people like Dave can just rant about Ico's animation and how much he hates himself in as much detail as he wants! Seriously though, the livestreams were amazing but I bet it was exhausting for everyone after 2 weeks straight. My two suggestions are more regular and casual podcasts and.........Lunch Stream! Because who doesn't love eating lunch with their friends and having a few laughs?

Even if Tim didn't make the first game I ever played and Ron with the first game I ever beat, I would still be a massive Double Fine fan! I never knew all the different places people have come from to work at Double Fine. Couldn't believe where Brandon Dillon and Chris Remo's previous jobs were!

To 2 Player Productions, thanks so much for working so hard filming stuff. I hope you learnt a bunch that will make your future projects easier to do and cover more, because the Amnesia Fortnight series is incredible. I also hope you feel you did as good of a job as I think you did, seriously when looking back on this, its going to hold a special place in everyone's heart. The livestream had some great moments, but my favorites were those honest moments that showed pure passion and appeciation for what everyone is working towards. It wouldnt have been the same without you guys! The only question I have is are you thinking of editing down the livestreams into something like segments for each screen cast, and edited down versions of the stand ups and other cool bits that happened. Only asking because having all the gems from the livestream edited down + the episodes would be a cooler way to look back on Amnesia Fortnight....I'm thinkin of just editing them down and having them on my PC for personal use, so maybe everyone would enjoy that as well. But I'm not asking for you guys to work more....just if you think its a good idea to have those low quality videos as a sort of bonus content to your awesome hd episodes. Don't know how you want to distribute the episodes in the future for everyone else, but I wouldn't object to them all being on youtube, and it might end up being a timeless classic that everyone re watches again and again, and brings in a larger audience and fanbase to 2PP! Thanks so much!

To sum it up I hope this open forum involving every face at Double Fine continues, because it has been greatly rewarding to my spirit and inspiration, let alone filled my brain with a few bits of awesome knowledge at the same time! I love you Double Fine <3

Edit: Totally getting into Mogwai right now, thanks so much Andy!

You guys are a rad bunch, the insight you have provided in making your prototypes and sharing your experience through the live streams has my creative juices flowing.

I can only hope to see more of this in the future and play the sweet games you guys dish out!

Thanks for everything!

After watching a lot of the livestream, and all of the 2PP videos this cements Double Fine as my favorite developer. The openness that is shared with the team members that are on Twitter along with Tim and all his antics are some of the reasons you guys received all the love from us during this and DFA.

The only problem I see in the aftermath is Tim. After playing all of the prototypes and seeing the desires from all the team members on the stream and 2PP videos. All of the prototypes are soooooo gooood that Tim holds the power to grant us all what we want. And that is for all of these prototypes to be made into games. Regradless of publisher support or not.

And side note, as someone who decided to go back to school to learn programming and game design the 2PP videos and archived livestream are great resources to learn from for anyone interested in that area.

Joe

You know, I wrote an article about how both the Kickstarter and Amnesia Fortnight was good for a changing game industry. How the evil publishers were ruining things and its up to the creative people to take back the thing that we all love so much. Double Fine was changing the way games were made by giving us a glimpse into the world of making video games without those evil publishers, and that was good for the growth of the industry.

But as I watched the livestream, and the daily videos, and the DFA documentary, I realized something. All that I previously said is true to an extent, but there's more to it than that, there are people behind these studios. Truly wonderful people who are full of love and joy for something they (and many of us) hold dear, and that's making games.

As a young writer, I talk about how publishers are running the industry like a business and sucking the fun out of things, but really I and many other journalists and average gamers are doing the same thing. Talking about how games have become generic, and how all games are just ripping off Call of Duty or Uncharted or what have you. We overly criticize every aspect of our games and don't bat an eye when a struggling developer or publisher is forced to close its doors. It got to the point for me that I was just sick of gaming, more focused on all the negative aspects that I didn't enjoy the all the good parts.

But seeing everyone at Double Fine, not just Tim, making these games and talking about their love for making those games that made me take a step back and appreciate that which I have long since neglected and forgotten about. I remembered why I fell in love with gaming to begin with, the fun you can have with other people playing a game, and that the people who make these games are people too, who share that same love of gaming.

Hell, I don't know what I'm trying to say here. I guess if this little story of mine makes someone stop and think about the same things I did, then I'd be happy. Its been a bad day for the whole world. But I just want to thank everyone at Double Fine for being so awesome, and rekindling that love of gaming I had when I was young. I wish everyone at Double Fine, and everyone reading this, the best of luck in the future and Happy Holidays.

-Josh

I sort of almost lost it myself at the end of the livestream there, when I looked over at the chat screen and everyone was saying goodbye. It was so good to have you guys with us the whole of the way through AF like that. Sure, it was a lot of pressure to be that open with our working lives, but you guys also provided us with moral support that you really need to get through 2 weeks working at a bit of a crazy pace. Thanks so much for that <3 <3

(P.S. this thread is our favorite place on the Internet at DF right now)

(P.S. this thread is our favorite place on the Internet at DF right now)

I'm keeping a print out in a drawer in case I ever need it.

Double Fine is my favorite place on the internet too, and don't worry we'll still be around to applaud your work!

Edit: Also thank you Andy for getting me back into Mogwai again with all your shirts! They rock

Andy have so many Mogwai shirts : D

Though I *think* I saw someone with a MOTHER/EarthBound shirt at some point in the last episode, so the Saturnome award for best shirt goes to him. Saturnome awards for prototypes coming later!

Andy have so many Mogwai shirts : D

Though I *think* I saw someone with a MOTHER/EarthBound shirt at some point in the last episode, so the Saturnome award for best shirt goes to him. Saturnome awards for prototypes coming later!

Yay I win an award! Yeah so Ico's my second favorite game (which is why I asked to be on the White Birch), but my favorite game is Mother 3, and I love all those games so much. I also have the big Earthbound SNES box on my desk here and a bunch of Zac Gorman comics pinned up outside my cube. What I'm saying is I'm a huge dork for the Mother series!

However, Andy's Mogwai shirts were amazing, so, please, somebody give him an award.

mothershirt.png

mothershirt.png.d2b26bf8308afdb4777cef20

I walked past Ben's desk as he was posting that pic and he had it up on his monitor and it messed up my head for a second - i thought he was watching a web cam of himself at his desk

Thanks for doing this, everyone! I've been an unapologetic DF fanboy since the beginning, but when the DFA kickstarter came around, it was like the best moment of my video games life. It was sort of like having an all-time favorite band for years and years and trying to get everyone to listen to them and understand them and love them as much as I love them, and always being frustrated that more people don't appreciate how great they are, and then all of a sudden you wake up one morning and they have a huge hit song and everyone is wearing their tee shirts, and suddenly people are telling YOU about them and suddenly all the love you've had for them for so many years becomes crazy validated by a bunch of other people, and finally everyone understands, and everything is magical and beautiful and nothing will ever be the same. History cannot be unmade.

It's like a whole world woke up one day and was like, "Oh man, you were SO right! They've been incredible this whole time and I've been missing out! But now that we're all together we should have a party!"

And that was pretty rad, if you don't mind me making the understatement of the year. But then you guys went even further. The awesomeness that is the unrelenting, untiring, super dedicated, admirably persistent documentary machine known as 2PP started filming five games at once, posting fully edited and great-looking videos every single day. *applause* And Double Fine was nice enough to do their own livestream filming in parallel to the more polished 2PP videos. It clearly took some planning to work out the technical details of how the livestreaming content was going to work, and it took an extra amount of care and love for the fans to make sure at least one friendly (if incredibly sleepy) Double Finer was waving at the fans from the other side of that camera at all times. An especially huge thanks to Greg who spent a huuuuge amount of time just talking to us, showing us around, keeping tabs on everything and explaining what was happening, and being a generally tremendous and gracious host. Jane Ng should also get a special trophy for giving so much extra attention to fans on the forum and in her livestreams. But make sure it's a cat-shaped trophy!

And thanks so much to the rest of the crew at Double Fine (who I would love to thank individually and by name but we could be here all night!) for not only letting us into your group discussions, but often times giving us one-on-one camera time and offering your individual thoughts and concerns and secret wishes.

Many of us in the DFA corners of the forum have talked about how awesome it would be to just have some cameras propped up in the studio in fly-on-the-wall fashion, but I don't think anyone ever would have guessed that Double Fine would take it upon themselves to really bring us into the process, walk us around, play games with us, talk to us, answer questions, and ALL IN REAL TIME!!! *mind blown*

I thought the DFA situation was the best thing to ever happen in the history of Double Fine fandom, but after all the interaction and love that was flying around during Amnesia Fortnight, going back to mere forum posts and monthly videos suddenly feels like a drought!

You all didn't have to let us see any of this, and you certainly didn't have to give us as much care and attention as you did, but you did it, because you are great people and a great company and you deserve all the money and awards.

Coolest studio of [del]2012[/del] all time! =D

I might as well add my love letter to Double Fine. :D

I loved playing Psychonauts back in the day, I waited in vein for Brütal Legend to come to PC (although now I do have a PS3), I purchased Costume Quest and Stacking and am eagerly anticipating The Cave. Double Fine seemed like a developer that genuinely cared about the projects they were working on. When the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter, well, started, I jumped at the chance to support them. I donated a lot of my money; a hell of a lot more than I was intending. I did so because I believed in the project and I believed in the people involved in its development.

As soon as the documentary started and I watched the production unfold over six episodes my love for the team grew immensely. Not only did it open my naive mind to the true nature of game development, not a simple hobby done in ones spare time (which is where I currently sit), it opened the door and revealed the genuine enthusiasm and raw skill of every individual working in Double Fine. I no longer saw a business entity. I saw friends doing what they love most.

Of course, the kind hearted people one-upped themselves and opened up their Amnesia Fortnight process for the world to see. Any reservations I had about donating a lot of my money no longer existed. Every single cent I donated to the Kickstarter campaign was money well spent, so $500 for prototypes seemed worthwhile.

I never watched the livestreams due to timezone issues (good ol' Land Down Undah) and my job (I work early hours) but I did download every wrap-up episode from 2 Player Productions. I thought the Kickstarter documentary could never be topped but oh how wrong I was. Amnesia Fortnight exceeded, nay, blew all of my expectations in a hail of explosions. Inspiring does not even begin to describe how I felt watching all the episodes. I enjoyed watching the process of these prototypes coming to life and more importantly than that, I loved watching the passion, the commitment and the genuine love from everyone. My only regret was not participating in the forum discussions as the prototypes were unfolding.

I made an extremely crappy demo/prototype of a 2D point-and-click adventure game in 2008 and over four years I've been thinking about fleshing it out and making something real out of it. To make a game of my own felt like a dream that I would never achieve. After Amnesia Fortnight, the flame I've been missing has been ignited and I feel inspired more than any other moment in my life. As an aspiring game developer, Amnesia Fortnight is the greatest event to ever be documented and released into the world.

From today to every single day of my life moving forward I will work as hard as I can to make my game a reality. There is a chance that nothing will ever come from it; that I will work tirelessly and have nothing to show for it. There is a chance that something does come from my efforts and my game actually exists. I know I will never meet any of you skilled craftspeople in person, although there is also the chance that our paths will cross some day. No matter what the outcome may be I want every employee in Double Fine to know that I have the utmost respect for each and every single one of you, that all of you have opened my eyes and given me a renewed outlook into my own future and a focus to pursue what I love and care about most. I want every single one of you to remember these four words that I type out of genuine admiration and respect, out of pure emotion from the very core of what makes me who I am...

Thank you for everything.

Woah, what the what?

I just wanted to chime in here to a) thank Ephezius for kicking off the love-fest and b) thank a bunch of you for validating the existence of our little company. When I logged into the forums tonight, my plan was to kick back with a beer and enjoy all the warm community feedback so rightfully deserved by the Double Fine family for their brilliantly realized prototypes. I was, however, not expecting to be as emotionally blindsided (in a good way) as I'm currently feeling. Please take that (and the beers) into consideration as I dive right into what is sure to be a sprawling, incoherent bumbling of drunken gratitude. You can just skip to the last paragraph if you're short on time (and tolerance for sappiness).

I don't know how many of you know this, but one of the main reasons the three of us came together to start this company (nearly 7 years ago, holy crap!) was to produce content just like this. All we've ever wanted to do is show the general public how much blood, sweat, and creative/technical talent go into making good games and celebrate the studios that are driving this industry and the medium forward; to put faces, names, and voices to the individuals responsible for providing us with years of quality entertainment so that they might one day be as recognized for their work as any musician or filmmaker is for theirs. So when I say that you're validating our existence, it's not hyperbole. To read that the videos we put out during Amnesia Fortnight and Double Fine Adventure may have, in however small a way, contributed to you knowing more about how games are made, knowing more about the team, feeling more directly connected to them, or wanting to buy more of their games means that we've accomplished our mission and then some.

And we couldn't have dared dream for a better partner in this endeavor than Double Fine. Seriously, in case you couldn't tell, these guys are trying new things and have opened their doors to us in ways that just baffles me sometimes. It's like, "Wait, so you're telling me we can actually make an uncensored documentary about what you guys are doing that isn't just some glorified commercial...?...! @___@ ThankyouThankyouThankyou."

Being on display for everyone to see, especially during a process as intense as AF, is not something that comes naturally to 99.9% of the population (Brad Muir being the exceptional .1%). It's crazy hard -- that's why we stay behind the cameras. Knowing that, I don't think I'll ever be able to adequately express how much I appreciate what good sports you all were anyway. To be so generous with your time, your insights, and access to your works in progress really means the world to us. For what it's worth, putting out such honest material is immensely satisfying to us on a creative level so thank you so much for your cooperation, however challenging it may have been for you to provide it.

I think we were only a few days into the Fortnight when we all just sort of looked at each other and said, "yeah, this is the best thing we've ever done." The finished pieces may not have been completely polished to our usual standards and there were_always_great scenes that we just couldn't include in the episodes due to time constraints, but being around that much concentrated creativity was invaluable to us. It's been a long time since I pulled that many (nearly-)continuous 12-to-16-hour editing sessions within such a short span of time, but I felt the strain of it less and less as time went on. Just being witness to something so cool kept me sufficiently pumped up every day. Really, the only stress I ever felt was that there just wasn't enough time in one day to make these episodes as good as they could have been with a longer turnaround time.

Anyway, this probably a pretty good place to stop. Long story short: this has been an amazing experience for all of us and it is just sweet, sweet icing on the cake to know that you guys and girls here on the forums enjoyed watching it all unfold in video form. Big ups to everyone at Double Fine for letting everyone peek behind the curtain. I think the gaming world is better off because of it.

*raises beer in solidarity*

WHERE'S BRENT?! PLAY US KUMBAYA!

I never seen so many interesting and talented (and quirky and nice) people gathered in one place. Double Fine is certainly very special and to let outsiders get a look into the creative process is just awesomeness taken to another level.

It goes without saying that 2PP is a perfect fit, making the videos both very interesting and pure joy visually.

So, to Tim and all the great people at Double Fine: Be very proud of yourselves and a huge thank you for letting us gamers come along for the ride. You almost feels like family now, something I never even thought about or imagined when it all began with Kickstarter.

Just a short post, but I've been loving all the stuff you did the past 2 weeks, and seeing it come to life was an amazing thing. It was so interesting getting to know each of you trough your work, and seeing it all come together was very very inspiring. So a big thank you to all of you, and I'm really going to miss watching you work :-).

And the games are all really great, and so refreshing also. The whole concept of Amnesia fortnight is brilliant, and I very much rooting for all the games to be published and made into full games. I hope you'll be as open then as you were now, so we can see the love that went into making them (although it's usually also pretty obvious when you're playing the games).

And the t-shirts were great! So well... thanks, thanks, thanks!

I guess this is the thread. I've really enjoyed getting to know you guys, starting with the Red's documentary. It would be really awesome if you could occasionally whip out the Greg Cam and throw the results on your tumblr.

I'm not active in the forums, but the very least I can do in return for this awesome project is write how I have enjoyed it. The problem will probably be that everything has been said already. But who cares: pile on the love!

As many here did, I didn't hesitate one second to back DFA (Tim? 2D point-and-click adventure? You thought you needed to ask?! Just start this thing already!). I was looking forward to see how the game would come to life, starting from scratch. But after the first episodes of 2PP and the development posts on the forum the game quickly came in second place. Getting caught in the excitement of the kickstarter campaign I might have spent a bit more than I would otherwise have, but I was amazed by the DFA experience and considered every dollar very, very well spent.

DF, you opened up to the outside world, something that no other game studio has done before, and the outside world fell in love with you. 2PP rocked (and is rocking) da interwebz with their amazing work. But it is the people in front of the lens that are opening up, personally and professionally. That must be very challenging, so I salute you for it.

And then there was AF. Okay, I thought, seems like a nice enough break from the DFA, I'll purchase the bundle and see what happens...

Holy Crap!! What was that?!

Two weeks, 8 hours a day of live streaming, people running around the studio shoving an iPhone in everyone's face to ask what they are doing, people actually gladly responding to that and showing what they are doing, people sharing their desktops while they are working! over the internet to hundreds/thousands of viewers!! for hours on end!!! in real time!!!! (I would hesitate showing my desktop to the guy sitting next to me!), and even people taking the time to respond to questions asked in the chat. I could sit here at my computer and connect, together with hundreds of others, to a team of very talented and very nice people watching them build 5 games simultaneously from the ground up in front of our very eyes while I'm 8000+ miles away! (Boy, don't we love the internet?! It's just mind-blowing.). As an added bonus, 2PP have been shoving their super fast lenses and microphones in everyone's face and edited their asses off to bring us amazing quality daily updates that delved a little deeper on selected subjects. And as a double bonus, we wait two days and even get to play the games we saw being created (I have actually paid this little company called Microsoft to buy and install this strange thing people call 'Windows 8' on my Mac to be able to do so - the poor Mac is now in a bit of an identity crisis). It simply leaves me speechless (although one wouldn't tell from this post).

DF, you have taken opening up to a whole new level that simply didn't exist two and a half weeks ago. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I would kiss you all, so it is probably a good thing I'm 8000 miles away to avoid things getting awkward.

Happy Christmas! We will al be here in the new year to continue on this adventure you are sharing with us.

Oh, and to the other people in the chat and/or in the forums: you rock. It's a great, enthusiastic, helpful and polite community. Happy Christmas to all!

Dear Double Fine Team,

after I finished playing every prototype for more than an hour I just wanted to say thank you so much!

Thank you for letting us in on the process. As a programmer myself it's so interesting to see how you guys work and I remember many similar discussions with a colleague of mine as we wrote our first game prototypes in our spare time as well. I just wish I had your frameworks to work with and won't have to spend so much time writing our own. I think I should send in an application if I ever decide to move to the us, but for now Oliver Franzke has beat me to the punch with his traditional point and click application.

It's really amazing what you guys did in two weeks. Each game either looks or plays fantastic. Everyone got their point across and I can't honestly pick any of the projects out to say: that won't be a great game.

They all have the potential to become amazing games and I really, really hope that most or even all of them get made into full-prized games (or even the alpha-minecraft style type).

Again: Amazing work and thanks so much for letting us be a part of the experience!

Greetings from Germany

Benny

Dear DF and 2PP,

Now that we've gotten a hold of the prototypes, it seems like the project has somehow come full circle. Having followed your streams since day 1, I just wanted to congratulate you on the effort and on the quality of the productions. The process has been crazy, inspiring, interesting and unexpected all at the same time. Unexpected, as my least favorite projects turned into my favorites over the course of the filming.

The fact that you joined with a camera crew allowed for this unique experience that I think will set the bar for this type of consumer-funded game development in the future, all thanks to 2PP and their crazy behind-the-scenes guys. I praise their effort and hope that you consider working together again in the future. Finally, I'll just quote JP Lebreton and say:

"Thanks a bunch, guys. You killed it. In the good way. The good killing."

Allow me to throw my hat in too.

I've been a major fan of Double Fine ever since I discovered Psychonauts years ago (it remains one of my all-time favorite games to this day), and I've casually followed the team's work through to Brutal Legend and beyond. Amnesia Fortnight and the entire prospect of it seemed really interesting, and I eventually overcame my slight trepidation and limited budget to donate to the project. And boy I am glad I did. It was clear to me that, even if you excluded the prototypes, the work you and Two Player Productions all put into the Fortnight and the resulting videos was worth above and beyond the purchase price. The insight into design and rapid prototyping, as well as the laughs and peeks into the employees' lives and minds, was a genuine pleasure to behold.

Thank you all for pouring passion into the games you work on, and I hope you all see continued success and joy.

I can't remember the last time I giggled and clapped my hands like an excited toddler so much as watching updates over the last 2 weeks. It's been really fun.

Sign in to follow this