Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kiwamu

MMoJ F2P, worries of a lawful citizen

Hello there lawful citizens...

or citizens that haven't been caught steeling from their siblings piggy bank. Yes, I'm talking to you! Watch out, Middle Manager of Justice had been released and this for free.

However as a lawful citizen I wonder, how will the hereos and the most of all, the middle manager gather money to stay lawful with paying taxes, rent etc.

Well, I've seen this at the MMoJ iTunes page

Top In-App Purchases

1. Coin Copier $1.99

2. Dollop of Superium $0.99

3. Bucket of Superium $4.99

4. Crate of Superium $9.99

5. Vat of Superium $19.99

and it worries me. Sure MMoJ is a time management game, but I simply don't know. I'm enjoying simulations and management games on my trusted iOs decice (especially some wonders of Kairosoft), and they all come with a price and play rather smooth. No App-In offers, just plain good management.

Sure Free 2 Play doesn't have to be negative, but I still wonder and frown from downloading this one, I've been burned too much with "Free to play" and "Tuned to play without any purchases". The only reason I'm giving this a second look and take my time, to enter in the forum is because of Double Fine (Yes, these fine lads at DF gained my upmost admiration).

Now, you could say, if you trust said company, why don't you download and see for yourself? Well, easy, I had my fair share of Free 2 Play games and when they start to make fun, suddenly Mr. Cash comes and is threatening to take away the fun. He requires me to wait 452,342,342,342 hrs, or I need to give him 3,123,123 $ of money. This is the time, where I usually regret spending time with a game.

You see, I'm someone, who loves to pay for his games (or prototypes!), because with that, I know Mr Cash will only come if I yell "I WANT MOAAARRR!", then he mostly have a second / further adventure to offer. This is the only time, where I welcome Mr Cash, ask him to stay a little, but mostly he is in a hurry, because I'm not his only client and time is money!

Please don't misunderstand me. How can you loathe something if it's for free? But what matters free, if fun is held hostage (if there only would be a super hero to rescue fun!). I also understand that Double Fine needs to make money! Who else will pay those awesome ppl? WHO?

So dear Double Fine, how much fun do you have held hostage? Are some things locked behind purchases? Really, I've been burned enough with wild promises. Let's be honest with each other, so I don't end up not liking you anymore...

OH NOES!

Here are my thoughts. I just beat the third boss.

1) Timers should go down in real time even when I'm not using the app. It feels like a way too obvious push for money in superium when I have to wait 15 minutes without exiting the app.

[...]

4) It's just too easy even without paying. It would be cool to adjust the difficulty and have some sort of reward for playing the higher difficulty level. The biggest challenge is waiting everything out so you don't have to pay real money. I wouldn't mind making an initial payment on the app and not having to deal with this kind of BS later.

Okay, found this jus in another thread. So I guess I won't wait 15 minutes without doing anything, but draining my batteries. No sir. As Cygnus X-1 put it quite frankly, I allow myself to quote him again:

I wouldn't mind making an initial payment on the app and not having to deal with this kind of BS later.

Without further ado, I'll stay clear of that and wait for the Cave...

"So I guess I won’t wait 15 minutes without doing anything, but draining my batteries."

There is always something to do in this game. There is literally always another encounter that requires your heroes to save the day. You can watch and influence the encounters or delegate them and keep an eye on the heroes in your base. Encounters take about 30 seconds to 1 minute and reward you with experience, coins and occasionally superium. Encounters and training happen concurrently. You can have your R&D heroes researching in your base while other heroes keep down the crime levels.

An important note is that superium isn't withheld for paying players only. The game gives you ample superium - 10 after each boss fight, the price of a level 1 hero or 1500 coins. You can spend your superium on additional heroes, coins, or training time. I completed the game with a stockpile of extra superium without ever having bought any. I had spent the rest on coins and upgraded my base way past what I think I was supposed to have by mid-game.

There is no bait-and-switch in this game :)

I progressed through the game quickly, focusing on beating bosses more than research or training, and I only hit a bit of a wall in the second-to-last area when I came up against a really tough boss fight. It was a lot easier with the items I had passed over researching earlier.

OH NOES!
Here are my thoughts. I just beat the third boss.

1) Timers should go down in real time even when I'm not using the app. It feels like a way too obvious push for money in superium when I have to wait 15 minutes without exiting the app.

[...]

4) It's just too easy even without paying. It would be cool to adjust the difficulty and have some sort of reward for playing the higher difficulty level. The biggest challenge is waiting everything out so you don't have to pay real money. I wouldn't mind making an initial payment on the app and not having to deal with this kind of BS later.

Okay, found this jus in another thread. So I guess I won't wait 15 minutes without doing anything, but draining my batteries. No sir. As Cygnus X-1 put it quite frankly, I allow myself to quote him again:

I wouldn't mind making an initial payment on the app and not having to deal with this kind of BS later.

Without further ado, I'll stay clear of that and wait for the Cave...

So I'll reiterate on this thread, that once you have your heroes doing stuff, you can go away from the game (don't need to have it running) and come back to have them completed. Once you have your heroes, there should be something to do at all times. I really hope that you give the game a chance, and remember that when the game gets harder, it's not use trying to get money from you, it's us providing you a challenge in the game. Make sure that you train your guys and buy equipment!

I personally found that I never once felt the need to use Superium to speed things up. Once you get going, you'll have more heroes, and they can be doing stuff when your other hero is busy. The nice thing is that they give you a full 10 superium once you beat a boss, so you can use that to buy a new hero from the economy pack, or wait to buy a more tuned hero (I bought two heroes at the 30 superium range just with the Superium I earned in battles). I never once felt that I had to buy anything with physical money (although I did eventually, just because I love the game and want to support Double Fine :D). This game does a great job of balancing things out, so that you can play without paying and the paying really does feel like it's optional. :)

I really hope that you give the game a chance, and remember that when the game gets harder, it's not use trying to get money from you, it's us providing you a challenge in the game. Make sure that you train your guys and buy equipment!

I'm irritated that you are even put in a position to have to say this. How many months did you guys work on this game? I hadn't heard that Double Fine had become a non profit, and that you guys show up to work every day so that you can provide free entertainment to overly entitled spoiled brats. That's very charitable of you.

I really hope that you give the game a chance, and remember that when the game gets harder, it's not use trying to get money from you, it's us providing you a challenge in the game. Make sure that you train your guys and buy equipment!

I'm irritated that you are even put in a position to have to say this. How many months did you guys work on this game? I hadn't heard that Double Fine had become a non profit, and that you guys show up to work every day so that you can provide free entertainment to overly entitled spoiled brats. That's very charitable of you.

Easy there tiger, though you didn't direct any comment towards me specifically, you answered within this thread, so I assume the overly "entitled spoiled brats" was a (bit) towards me. So I just make it clear that I just loathe the F2P business model as is and not the fact that you have to pony up for games! I said it before via quote, I like to pay upfront and not bother with transactions in the game. I like for example the Kairosoft folks and don't feel entitled to receive games from them for free. Also as stated again F2P had been often used to drain the money out of the wallet, end you usually end up paying more than you want to. I don't like that a bit.

That said, I must compliment Double Fine on a fun game, I tried it out so far and liked it, so much I feel guilty not paying upfront.

I apologize if I was a little harsh. It's a business model, though. And there is nothing unethical about it. They aren't going to stop anyone from playing, or progressing without ponying up money, and as far as I've seen there are no hidden, or sneaky fees. It's all consenting adults (and if it's not then that is the fault of the parents) who are paying a little extra to speed the game along some.

Funnily enough. I find something like the coin copier less offensive than buying superium. And frankly, the superium is much less offensive (though I didn't know it till I played a bunch) than the (for example) the donuts in the simpson's tapped out.

It's a scale, and I think for the most part, DF did a good staying on the "be good!" part of the scale.

It's just that you can't tell by looking at the app description/reviews (yet?).

Sure it's a legitimate business model, however that doesn't mean I've got to like it. Also this doesn't mean I'm not allowed to tell DF I don't like it. I've just voiced my concern and maybe other ppl feel like me and don't bother with F2P games, because of experiences with other games.

That said, I tell you again that I was pleasantly surprised how well the game is balanced and I feel, that the payment method is just there for speeding things up and do not feel like an obligation. Thank you DF for a pleasant trip thus far and showing me that F2P doesn't mean the fun is left out :)

Just so everyone knows. Since DF made it great to play without paying, I felt obliged to reward them. So I went and bought the Coin Copier as a little thank you. I know it's not much, but a small reward for not abusing the F2P model.

I feel more rewarded for buying than punished for not buying. Also it's a nice touch, that if you remove your Hereos / MM from their work out / research / whatever you can pick up where you left of instead of loosing all the progress :).

Just so everyone knows. Since DF made it great to play without paying, I felt obliged to reward them. So I went and bought the Coin Copier as a little thank you. I know it's not much, but a small reward for not abusing the F2P model.

I feel more rewarded for buying than punished for not buying. Also it's a nice touch, that if you remove your Hereos / MM from their work out / research / whatever you can pick up where you left of instead of loosing all the progress :).

Yay! Thanks for your support and for giving the game a chance!!!! :D

Sign in to follow this