Sign in to follow this  
lamptastic

Bug or Feature?

Hi - let's collect weird things that happen in Hack 'n' Slash and see if they're intentional. I'll start.

When I try to go to the hall of benefactors I get a message saying the file win/Munged/Rooms/Dungeon/CreditsRoom.lu is missing.

I've checked the folder, and it is indeed missing - but I haven't managed to do anything with the books yet. I picked up two, perhaps that was wrong?

Perhaps the Genie deleted the CreditsRoom?

Excited to find out what bugs/features you ladies and gentlemen have found. Also, it's great the way you can actually see how the game is structured in the lua files with the layout of the level maps, and the tiles!

EDIT:

OK - renaming a different room to CreditsRoom.lua doesn't let you go to that room when you go through the doorway. - You just get a different error. So it's definitely looking for a CreditsRoom.lua file with some particular fields in it. Either

* The game creates the file when you solve a puzzle.

* You have to decrypt \Data\scripts\rooms\dungeon\creditsroom.lua somehow

* or it's missing from the distribution.

It's not in the zip file as distributed. I really hope it's the first one. That would be super awesome - then people could hack a win to the game just by passing round a 'patch'. Oldschool!

Either way, fun playing with the game so far!

That was a last-minute oversight. The fix should be in the set of builds that is going up shortly!

Two things:

1. There are starirs next to the guy above the three mirrors, but an invisible wall blacks them! Is it supposed to be like this?

2. Whenever I change to value of iTileVisionRange on a guard, it doesn't seem to make any difference to whether or not he sees me! E.g. If I change the value to 0 and walk in front of him, he still sees me.

1. Yes. It disappears after you do what that guy asks you to do. There should probably be a gate there, but prototype I guess.

2. iTileVisionRange seems to only be checked when they move. Same with health.

My own fun observation: Setting movement speed to negative makes them moonwalk, and able to ignore walls. Useless (though could totally be worked into a puzzle later), but very funny!

HiddenJournal.txt

Puzzle or cruel joke?

I did some quick and simple cryptanalysis and it doesnt seem to be an easy substitution cipher and I don't recognize any magic bytes to identify the filetype.

Suggestions ladies and gentlemen?

HiddenJournal.txt

Puzzle or cruel joke?

I did some quick and simple cryptanalysis and it doesnt seem to be an easy substitution cipher and I don't recognize any magic bytes to identify the filetype.

Suggestions ladies and gentlemen?

I've been wondering about that too. I tried dropping the file into some subdirectory of Win/Munged, and that indeed makes it appear in the library, where you can pick it up (and the fact that the game lets you carry exactly two books leads me to believe that this is exactly what we're supposed to do). I then tried bringing it to the decrypting room to have it decrypted, but that didn't seem to work. It wasn't completely clear, but it seems like the room needs a decryption key to be put on the left pedestal (and the encrypted document on the right one), and I've no idea where the proper key would be. Maybe in the credits room / world tree, if those get fixed in the updated version?

You actually can get the hidden journal book somewhere other than the library. Doesn't help, but still.

Also noticed a bug which makes the tiles not align often so you get white stripes between them or other weird effects.

If you go left instead of right outside in front of the castle there are the glitch blocks that you can "crash" into. After getting the decryption ability they say things like could not find file FAIL/FAIL/FAIL.

This game has so much potential for wildly hidden easter eggs.

I've had issues a few times with the state restore feature. I saved a checkpoint once before getting the time-slowing device, then died on the path to the library and accidentally restored to my backup which was before I picked up the time-slower. Naturally, when the state restored there, I didn't have the time manipulator tool... but it also wasn't available when I went back to get it again. I had a similar problem with Jinn (saved before talking to him, talked to him and got his instructions, restored to earlier time, and when I went back he thought we had already talked although I still had the first note and not the second).

I also just encountered a bug in the doorway to the library (it stopped working as a doorway for some reason and I had to restart). I've managed to kill the entire world a bunch of times too. Sadly, I've yet to make it to the second dungeon yet because I keep killing the game before getting that far. I think the speed runs that I'm now doing to try to get to the second part might be messing things up more. I've gotten really good at weaving through the fiery path to the library at full speed. Killing all the little creatures at the entrance to the library is also pretty satisfying, although they just respawn when you leave.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I didn't read the earlier posts in this thread, apparently. For the record, my original message was:

Okay, finally got through the second dungeon. I've gotten as far as decrypting all the glyphs and was just about to enter the credits room when the world fell apart. Its final words were "cannot open Win/Munged/Rooms/Dungeon/CreditsRoom.lu no such file or directory". I've checked the folder, and can confirm that the world is correct in noting that that file is not there. Is anyone else getting this?

If you go left instead of right outside in front of the castle there are the glitch blocks that you can "crash" into. After getting the decryption ability they say things like could not find file FAIL/FAIL/FAIL.

Wait - there's a decryption ability? Where? I just went in and manually copied/renamed the font files. I thought it was a pretty clever puzzle, though it was annoying that I had to start the game over afterwards.

first 2 times i played through, setting the fire baddies iFriendlyDamage prevented them from damaging me.... 3rd time through they still hurt me =[

iFriendlyDamage only affects the damage they do to their buddies. Not sure how you got through before, but you have to use a bit more strategy ;)

Check the glyph room.

I looked all over in the glyph room (or so I thought). I figured out what the characters represented, but I wasn't about to sit there with a pen and paper and copy down all 58 of them. Changing the font definitely seemed like the better solution. Did I miss something?

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I didn't read the earlier posts in this thread, apparently. For the record, my original message was:

Okay, finally got through the second dungeon. I've gotten as far as decrypting all the glyphs and was just about to enter the credits room when the world fell apart. Its final words were "cannot open Win/Munged/Rooms/Dungeon/CreditsRoom.lu no such file or directory". I've checked the folder, and can confirm that the world is correct in noting that that file is not there. Is anyone else getting this?

yep, got the same issue and also was unable to find the CreditsRoom.lua

Maybe it was simply left out of the build

Check the glyph room.

I looked all over in the glyph room (or so I thought). I figured out what the characters represented, but I wasn't about to sit there with a pen and paper and copy down all 58 of them. Changing the font definitely seemed like the better solution. Did I miss something?

Yes, there's a lever that converts all the glyphs to regular text.

Yes, I saw the lever, but I couldn't pull it, bug or something else? Hard to give all the info without spoiler tags. I might rename the font files if it doesn't work after doing it again.

You can get into the space at the top of the map with the castle in by entering the castle and leaving. Press up as soon as you leave and you can walk around the upper ramparts. Haven't found any eater eggs or solutions there. Have you?

Bug or feature?

There's a dungeon room filled with Octorock-esque fire spitting enemies (not the easy one that can be ran through with or without time slowing, but the longer one where some enemies are initially inaccessible with your cable due to constant barrages of fire). It seemed clear to me that this was a puzzle, but I'm not sure whether or not I solved it an unanticipated way. Let's just say that changing the fireball scale and the friendly fire option to certain numbers can clear the room very quickly.

There's a dungeon room filled with Octorock-esque fire spitting enemies (not the easy one that can be ran through with or without time slowing, but the longer one where some enemies are initially inaccessible with your cable due to constant barrages of fire). It seemed clear to me that this was a puzzle, but I'm not sure whether or not I solved it an unanticipated way. Let's just say that changing the fireball scale and the friendly fire option to certain numbers can clear the room very quickly.

That is exactly the solution required. If memory serves, that was also shown as a viable solution in the livestream demo.

That is exactly the solution required. If memory serves, that was also shown as a viable solution in the livestream demo.

Ah, the livestream was so long that I didn't see fit to watch the entirety of it. I recall it being possible to eliminate some of the Octorocks by dropping health to 0 (yes, they shoot in four directions upon death, but if you're far enough away you can dodge it) or dropping the amount of fireballs they shoot to 0.

I wasn't sure about the solution I used because it seemed like it brute forced an intricately laid out puzzle. I kept thinking: "Was I supposed to be able to do that?"

I hope so, it seemed the obvious solution, @lamptastic, I didn't know that, I'll try it out thanks! I did find out that I can flip the switch if I try it earlier.

That was a last-minute oversight. The fix should be in the set of builds that is going up shortly!

It's still missing...

Sign in to follow this