Sign in to follow this  
liorean

Is reporting a bug in it of any use?

I see dead people... in my assign jobs list/screen! Including some duplicates with the same name where the dead one seems to have the same stats as the living one, but I can find both the living person and the corpse.

I see dead people... in my assign jobs list/screen! Including some duplicates with the same name where the dead one seems to have the same stats as the living one, but I can find both the living person and the corpse.

Yeah, we're aware of this. Unfortunately we just didn't have time to address all the bugs we knew about in the two weeks. I honestly have no idea if we'll be able to put out patches etc.--we've never shared our prototypes before so there's no precedent!

Another bug is people walking through walls sometimes.

It's not a bug! I've seen people walking through walls for realz! It was in a movie - can't remember the name...

bug: Sometimes the game removes the matter when it gives the warning you don't have enough matter to build this hallway.

I have to say, it's really illuminating to play these prototypes, just to see how much work can be done in two weeks, but also to realize how important polish and bug squashing is for a game! And that it can't just be done in a day.

I got an engineer stuck in a wall while he was building the walls around him. Of course, I couldn't delete the wall he was stuck in... Then there are dead people on my jobs list, people going through walls, all kinds of glitches in the creation and construction of areas...but you can tell that this can be a fun game and you can already guess in which ways the game can expand! :)

I really liked the facebook feature! Might be hard to create in a way that it doesn't get monotonous to read the same kind of entries again and again...maybe each of your inhabitants should have a unique flavor of language they use in their updates? Or maybe it should at least depend on where they originally come from? I dunno. :)

I really liked the facebook feature! Might be hard to create in a way that it doesn't get monotonous to read the same kind of entries again and again...maybe each of your inhabitants should have a unique flavor of language they use in their updates? Or maybe it should at least depend on where they originally come from? I dunno. :)

That actually exists! There are four different personality types, and characters are each assigned one. You can see a difference in their general posting style that corresponds to those. Of course, the real problem is simply that in two weeks there wasn't enough time to write the sheer volume of unique lines to avoid obvious repetition. The vast majority of our time was spent developing the game itself, and the writing had to be crammed in around the edges.

That actually exists! There are four different personality types, and characters are each assigned one. You can see a difference in their general posting style that corresponds to those. Of course, the real problem is simply that in two weeks there wasn't enough time to write the sheer volume of unique lines to avoid obvious repetition. The vast majority of our time was spent developing the game itself, and the writing had to be crammed in around the edges.

yeah i realized that and was astonished you guys had even time for that :D

Yeah I just played a long game and faced a lot of bugs. The most annoying among them is the fact that characters can just tard out and do nothing. After a while, every character gets tarded and the ship just comes to a halt with nothing being built. This last playthrough I had pretty much had everybody tard out except for a murderer who would go around killing random people. Kinda funny but I wanted to build a base dammit!

Another annoying bug is the fact that, as far as I can tell, science, gardens, life support, and engineering basically do nothing. Pubs make people happy, medical makes people healthy, residence makes people sane, and nothing else really keeps the ship running.

The final annoying bug is how odd the tools can get sometimes. I can't properly vaporize newly-found bases and walls, doors, and areas can get really finicky about whether or not they'll actually build due to the strange rule set put into place. Having to vaporize a wall in order to continue building is a big one here. Oh yeah, and corners of rooms never get built!

I hope you guys get a chance to flesh this game out more, it feels like it's actually on the edge of being a completed mobile game. Polish some bugs, give the zones some usefulness, give a status on the health of the ship as a whole, add a couple more events, a couple more jobs (policemen and janitors!), and make the endgame something like "discover the entirety of space" and you're done! ;)

... sorry, but here we go again: mistaking a prototype for a game.

"bugs" - so what? People keep repeating "I know it's only a prototype..." but then starting to count endless beans on what they found out is "wrong" with "the game", etc, etc ... falling back into their gamer gaming patterns.

The (great) thread title "Is reporting a bug in it of any use?" can be answered clearly, even though, the DF'ers are way to polite to do it, I will say it: No. Some of you posting in the threads may not have seen the documentaries nor the live stream, in which they repeatedly explained what this AF thing is and what it is not, and why these prototypes are not what you want them to be. Even the manuals coming with the download repeat that. Although maybe way too subtle and seems nobody is reading them?

You all wish good. We all want to see this as a full game! But right now, it's just a fun, imperfect(!) tease. If anyone, it's the game devs themselves, who painfully know every single weakness of the thing they have built? IMHO, nobody should rip on it excessively?

Put down your gamer-glasses and you can see more clearly? :)

Put down your gamer-glasses and you can see more clearly? :)

Except the last two Double Fine games were initially Amnesia Fortnight prototypes and it's possible any of these prototypes we've been playing will become a full game so reporting bugs now might actually help the developers if and when they decide to pick them up for a full release.

No need to sit on your high horse here, we all know they're just prototypes. Like Chris said, there's no precedent for what we're witnessing here with a public Amnesia Fortnight release, so there's no precedent saying bug reporting is a bad idea. Also, I think I'd rather have feedback on my prototype than have complete silence. At least it means people are playing!

I definitely agree that Double Fine wants feedback, but I'm not too convinced that lists of bugs are really that useful to them at this point. The only way they'd have the resources to do anything about them is if they were able to secure funding for the game, and if that happens they'll probably be changing and adding to the systems in the game so much that any bugs we find in this early prototype would be pretty irrelevant. Besides, they probably already know about them, they just didn't have time to address them :)

I could be wrong though. I suppose it's up to the staff to let us know what sort of feedback is most useful. I'd imagine they'd be more interested in desired features, modes, and gameplay ideas, as well as hearing about our experiences with the game (whether we enjoyed it or not, etc.). But like I said, I dunno.

Hey, folks. We're always open to all kinds of feedback. In the case of the AF prototypes, the #1 thing we're interested in is game breaking bugs, especially crashes, lockups, bugs that prevent you from progressing. We'll definitely fix bugs that prevent people from playing the game at all or in a meaningful way. So far I haven't heard many of those on Spacebase, but the "inevitable immobile depression" bug is pretty close to that threshold.

Other than that, we're mostly interested in "big picture" feedback and feedback on general concepts/usability. Understanding which parts of the game are most confusing, or most fun is useful. Understanding the elements that spark your imagination for the full game, or those that seem utterly boring, are also good to know.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info, Nathan. It's always good to know what sort of feedback is most helpful to the team. I never imagined that you guys would be able to devote resources to debugging prototypes, but that's awesome news. You guys (and gals) are awesome.

The only bug that's had a really negative effect on my gameplay is the immobile depression one you mentioned.

As for more general gameplay feedback, the only thing I'd really like is more clear feedback on how everyone's feeling and why. The Spaceface updates are handy (and very amusing), but they can also be vague, and it's tough to tell how many people feel the same. Someone in another thread suggested having a number of "Likes" for each statement to indicate how many other people agreed, and having a feed that just provided the most agreed upon recent statements would be really handy.

Aside from that, I'm already having a blast with the game. I don't normally enjoy these sorts of games, so that's quite an achievement. In a full release it'd be nice if there was a few more ways for players to interact with the game or influence the citizens (maybe being able to assign their workplaces and/or residences?). I really hope this becomes a full game.

I made a guy unemployed on account of him being dead. He blogged about losing his job xD

I made a guy unemployed on account of him being dead. He blogged about losing his job xD

That's happened to me too.

The funniest thing for me is seeing all the dead people with super high morale, while the living members of my crew are paralyzed by crippling depression. They're just super stoked to be dead, I guess? Maybe they really have gone to a better place... :)

I don't know if I really should disclose this bug since it's so useful, but here is how to get infinite matter:

Just de-zone any area which is already plain floor tiles. You'll get a refund for a zoning cost you never paid. Can be repeated any number of times...

It totally makes up for the inability to reclaim matter by scrapping entire sections of the base (since you can only vaporize inner walls, not outer ones). :-)

... It totally makes up for the inability to reclaim matter by scrapping entire sections of the base (since you can only vaporize inner walls, not outer ones). :-)

Actually (and this is a bug also), you can often scrap unused sections of your base. If you drag your disintegration tool over the area you want to get rid of, it'll often delete a piece of the outer wall or floor by mistake and you can use it to expand that hole a few squares at a time until most of the area has been reclaimed for matter. It will leave most of the outer walls, all of the constructed equipment in a zone, and any floor tiles that have dead bodies on them (creating little floating grave islands in the process), but you'll get matter for most of the floor at least.

I don't know if I really should disclose this bug since it's so useful, but here is how to get infinite matter:

Just de-zone any area which is already plain floor tiles. You'll get a refund for a zoning cost you never paid. Can be repeated any number of times...

It totally makes up for the inability to reclaim matter by scrapping entire sections of the base (since you can only vaporize inner walls, not outer ones). :-)

The De-zone tool is all powerful. I found out by accident that you can De-zone spacebases you haven't expanded to yet. This reveals them and allows you to have any citizens on that base assigned jobs and start expanding from their location. I enjoy having a corridor between bases built from both sides.

Sign in to follow this