Sign in to follow this  
DrummerX

Just finished playthrough of the prototype!

So much fun! Big thanks and congrats to the Autonomous team, in two weeks you put together one hell of a fun game. I think the most epic moment I had was throwing about 20 bots at this one double lazer beam dude sitting in a corner at the end of a narrow pathway, my bots started having a hard time getting over the remains of decimated comrades to even reach the thing. Made his death very painful :) Thanks again for all the work put in, hope development finds a way to continue on this project, I will be there to support it. Now what to play next...

Auto2012-12-1414-36-19-60_zps3734df19.jpg

Auto2012-12-1415-17-51-03_zpsdf20262c.jpg

Auto2012-12-1415-06-49-27_zpsb86bca93.jpg

Auto2012-12-1416-01-02-95_zpse3a18977.jpg

Waaaah, you already played through it and I can't even download it yet, for whatever mysterious reason! Only The White Birch and Black Lake is available for me so far. :-/ Odd...

I think it wasn't actually meant to be downloaded yet? Just saw a post in the general amnesia fortnight thread...oops? lol, the humble page was the first thing I checked on this morning and I guess I got there right before it was taken down. Worked fine though, I didn't hit any glitches/bugs or problems. They'll probably throw it back up for download soon.

Me too!

It definitely looks/feels cool. Been playing it for about 20/30 minutes and here's what I'm feeling:

Things I loved:

1) Roguelike Potential: Now that I got my hands on it, it only reinforces the impression I got from the livestream that there is some awesome roguelike potential going on. Not that I'm imaging any kind of RPG elements, necessarily, but just that feeling of passing through room after room, stumbling into monster closets (i.e. robot closets), trying to collect all the loots, getting your ass beat and barely surviving a lot of the time, and just trying to make the trail of resources carry you to the finish.

2) Mischief Gameplay: When I play this game, two feelings seem to dominate. One of those feelings is "omg big robot run hide" but the other predominate feeling is more like MISCHIEF. It seems like if you want to create a safe mining environment for your friendly miner automaton or if you just want to explore a newly opened area safely, you're gonna have to engage in some robot-clearing strategies to take care of those meanies. This seems to involve not only building an attacker automaton to go and get 'em, but to sometimes do some shouting and jumping around and other tricks to get the robots to look at each other. It's basically robot trolling, which is just great.

3) OMG WTF HAPPENED IN HERE: Walking into an area and seeing a bunch of dead/broken robots lying all over the place is both exciting (free loot!) and terrifying (am I about to die?). I like that feeling that you may have just walked into a dragon's lair.

Things I felt like were needed:

I'm sure you probably already thought of these, but didn't put them in because prototype, but just to put 'em out there:

1) Better at-a-glance identifiers for part types. You need a torso to begin constructing automatons, and there are parts all over the place. But there were times that I was running around in an area full of killer robots, trying to find a torso to get ANYTHING started, but I was just picking up lots of heads and arms and legs and things. Maybe if they each gave off a color coded glow of some kind. Or maybe those glows could be something you could click on/off with the alt key, like flipping the item names/identifiers on/off in Torchlight.

2) Some kind of map/radar. I'd like to have rooms I've already visited get mapped and any active hostiles encountered to be added as blips. Lee talked about the ability to create automatons that would do recon for you and map out other areas/rooms, but it would be cool if that kind of automaton could add blips for hostiles/resources, too. =]

3) The ability to program a head AFTER it is placed in a construction grid. Even if you know how you want to program the head while you're holding it, suppose you attach it to the automaton in the construction grid, and then you think, "Actually, wait a minute, I want to change that seeking method". It would be great to just program the head while it was on there, but it seemed like in the prototype, you'd have to destroy/dismantle the build, pick up the torso and restart the grid, then pick up the head and reprogram it before putting it back on the automaton. That's some harsh hoop jumping.

4) Clearer distinctions between key functions. The E-key and the LMB seemed to be synonymous inputs most of the time, but then sometimes they seemed to not be. I think I'd like some of the functions to be spread out a little more. Or maybe if no one else has this problem it's just a case of me being a dumb dumb. It's not unheard of. =P

Things I simply wanted for increased fun:

1) Better breadcrumbs. Specifically in regard to getting two robots to attack each other. Trolling the robots is a good time, and giving me more ways to lead them into each other or paint them as targets, etc, would ramp the mischief up a good notch.

2) Sneakiness. This robot with a laser gun was giving me a really hard time, and I got super excited when I was able to get around behind him and sneak up to his back. I really wanted to be rewarded for getting this kind of drop on him. I'm not suggesting dismantling or anything, but what if you could sneak up behind a hostile robot and surreptitiously change its head programming? Or better yet: its energy distribution sliders?

3) More direct actions for the player. A lot of the proto is spent building robots or watching robots. Or watching OUT for robots. But the amount of stuff the player is actually directly doing doesn't turn out to be a whole lot. Picking up and building automatons doesn't take too much time, and stun-zapping automatons is only satisfying up to a point. I feel like there should be more in there for the player to interact with directly. The player-specific doors are a good example, but they are few and far between. Whether it's something like treasure chests to be found and opened, sneaky reprogrammings as mentioned above, or if there were some kind of gatekeeper problem the player had to solve using the few mechanics at his/her disposal. Maybe you had to pick up some kind of objects and toss them into some kind of machine, maybe there is some kind of machine that needs to have various bits zapped with the player's zapper to jumpstart it. Or maybe it's not a gatekeeper device but something else. I just feel like there should be the tiniest bit more for the player to get up to while the automatons work. More stuff like the player-specific doors. More of that, and a bit more involving than just "press E".

Definitely shows promise!

*applause*

3) OMG WTF HAPPENED IN HERE: Walking into an area and seeing a bunch of dead/broken robots lying all over the place is both exciting (free loot!) and terrifying (am I about to die?). I like that feeling that you may have just walked into a dragon's lair.

Totally agree here, honestly just the sounds of a battle going on somewhere nearby was really intense and fun, made the world come to life that much more. As an extension of this, I think I'd like to have some kind of tracker that lets me know how many bots of my own creation are still active in the field. I think I had at least a good dozen at one time wandering the map, and I could hear them getting into all sorts of mayhem out there. It'd be cool to know how many are up.

The ultimate goal should be Ninja Robots. Like the one's in Binary Domain. Hanging from the walls in the shadows, leaping out of nowhere and slicing other bots in half :)

Great, thoughtful feedback!

A few of the "needed" things were on the list, but got cut. The biggest one being a map. And the cool thing about that map is the automatons made it LIVE for you as they worked their way through the world.

Oh, and breadcrumbs, yes. Just wondering if you tried tossing things like heads at them? Both friendly and enemy automatons will track the movement. Its a great way to lead them around without being the bait.

Thanks for playing and keep the ideas coming, everyone.

Lee

Me too!

It definitely looks/feels cool. Been playing it for about 20/30 minutes and here's what I'm feeling:

Things I loved:

1) Roguelike Potential: Now that I got my hands on it, it only reinforces the impression I got from the livestream that there is some awesome roguelike potential going on. Not that I'm imaging any kind of RPG elements, necessarily, but just that feeling of passing through room after room, stumbling into monster closets (i.e. robot closets), trying to collect all the loots, getting your ass beat and barely surviving a lot of the time, and just trying to make the trail of resources carry you to the finish.

2) Mischief Gameplay: When I play this game, two feelings seem to dominate. One of those feelings is "omg big robot run hide" but the other predominate feeling is more like MISCHIEF. It seems like if you want to create a safe mining environment for your friendly miner automaton or if you just want to explore a newly opened area safely, you're gonna have to engage in some robot-clearing strategies to take care of those meanies. This seems to involve not only building an attacker automaton to go and get 'em, but to sometimes do some shouting and jumping around and other tricks to get the robots to look at each other. It's basically robot trolling, which is just great.

Things I felt like were needed:

I'm sure you probably already thought of these, but didn't put them in because prototype, but just to put 'em out there:

1) Better at-a-glance identifiers for part types. You need a torso to begin constructing automatons, and there are parts all over the place. But there were times that I was running around in an area full of killer robots, trying to find a torso to get ANYTHING started, but I was just picking up lots of heads and arms and legs and things. Maybe if they each gave off a color coded glow of some kind. Or maybe those glows could be something you could click on/off with the alt key, like flipping the item names/identifiers on/off in Torchlight.

2) Some kind of map/radar. I'd like to have rooms I've already visited get mapped and any active hostiles encountered to be added as blips. Lee talked about the ability to create automatons that would do recon for you and map out other areas/rooms, but it would be cool if that kind of automaton could add blips for hostiles/resources, too. =]

3) The ability to program a head AFTER it is placed in a construction grid. Even if you know how you want to program the head while you're holding it, suppose you attach it to the automaton in the construction grid, and then you think, "Actually, wait a minute, I want to change that seeking method". It would be great to just program the head while it was on there, but it seemed like in the prototype, you'd have to destroy/dismantle the build, pick up the torso and restart the grid, then pick up the head and reprogram it before putting it back on the automaton. That's some harsh hoop jumping.

4) Clearer distinctions between key functions. The E-key and the LMB seemed to be synonymous inputs most of the time, but then sometimes they seemed to not be. I think I'd like some of the functions to be spread out a little more. Or maybe if no one else has this problem it's just a case of me being a dumb dumb. It's not unheard of. =P

Things I simply wanted for increased fun:

1) Better breadcrumbs. Specifically in regard to getting two robots to attack each other. Trolling the robots is a good time, and giving me more ways to lead them into each other or paint them as targets, etc, would ramp the mischief up a good notch.

2) Sneakiness. This robot with a laser gun was giving me a really hard time, and I got super excited when I was able to get around behind him and sneak up to his back. I really wanted to be rewarded for getting this kind of drop on him. I'm not suggesting dismantling or anything, but what if you could sneak up behind a hostile robot and surreptitiously change its head programming? Or better yet: its energy distribution sliders?

3) More direct actions for the player. A lot of the proto is spent building robots or watching robots. Or watching OUT for robots. But the amount of stuff the player is actually directly doing doesn't turn out to be a whole lot. Picking up and building automatons doesn't take too much time, and stun-zapping automatons is only satisfying up to a point. I feel like there should be more in there for the player to interact with directly. The player-specific doors are a good example, but they are few and far between. Whether it's something like treasure chests to be found and opened, sneaky reprogrammings as mentioned above, or if there were some kind of gatekeeper problem the player had to solve using the few mechanics at his/her disposal. Maybe you had to pick up some kind of objects and toss them into some kind of machine, maybe there is some kind of machine that needs to have various bits zapped with the player's zapper to jumpstart it. Or maybe it's not a gatekeeper device but something else. I just feel like there should be the tiniest bit more for the player to get up to while the automatons work. More stuff like the player-specific doors. More of that, and a bit more involving than just "press E".

Definitely shows promise!

*applause*

I completed a playthrough too! Very cool. The shader work is excellent and the overall look has this feel of 80s print ads for computing. I don't know about setting waypoints for robots as suggested here, but a simple "follow player" option on the heads would make it much easier to get a new bot to the action.

Awesome work!

This is probably my favourite prototype of the bunch. I had such a good time with it, finished it, and can easily see myself loading it up again and again.

Suggestions:

- Map with fog of war would be swell

- Primitive descriptions on pick-up

- Better way to defend yourself (shield ability, sprinting)

- Some way to program away friendly fire

- A way to really help direct your own bots (maybe give players the green markers for directing smarter heads)

- Collecting a 'junk' currency to allow you to craft specific pieces, since there are stretches where you simply cannot find a key piece (mining laser, for instance)

Other than that, I can see a fair bit of potential in being able to include a singleplayer campaign as well. Simply give the player the objective to find/kill a specific thing in the procedural generated level, create a variety of junkyard Tron locations, and throw in dialogue/narrative.

Just finished the prototype as well, and had I not watched the game getting built over the live-stream, there's no way I'd believe this was done in two weeks. Even though a lot has been said about the look of the game, there's no way for me to not say that this game looks fantastic. The atmosphere really made me want to know more about what it's like outside the robot junkyard. Seeing the huge pyramids around the outer part of the map made me want to know what purpose they served within the actual world, even though I know they're just there to fill up the background (but maybe it's just something about pyramids).

I'd love to see some kind of "downtime" area between stages where you get a feel for what it's like outside of the junkyard as part of some kind of overall narrative. What do the people look like (assuming there are any)? What do they do? Who's building these crazy robots (aside from you)? How did I end up buried in a pile of rubble? Something about this game just makes the neurons in my brain fire.

As far as suggestions, while the game does give you the pieces to ensure that your first robot is a energy mining robot, you should probably also always start in a room that has a energy tower in it that's doesn't have any enemy robots in it. It seems like you don't start too far from an energy tower, but I just had a session where my first mining robot just left the starting room, and started heading towards 2 energy towers. Unfortunately for him, there was a dual-sniper-laser sentry robot sitting between the two towers who made sure work of the poor guy. Had I not been watching the AF stream, I wouldn't have known what the big pink towers were for and what the mining arm was. I know the intention is not to beat the player over the head with tutorials, but since harvesting energy is the goal of the game, the player should be guaranteed at least one mining tower success so they can see how it works without the game interrupting them with big pop up tutorial boxes.

Part names might be nice too just to give some hint as to what they do. Some of the pieces were pretty obvious just by looking at them, like the laser rifles, and the big hammer, and helicopter blades, but I could not figure out what the little horizontal cylindrical arm attachment does. I followed the robot that I attached it to, and never saw him do anything with it.

I really hope this game gets the go-ahead for additional development.

Also, did anyone else notice the idle animation where he's pressing the buttons on his right hand.

Edit: Just realized the part names already appear. I somehow missed the large text in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Too distracted by pretty world... yeah, that's it...

I'm just hopping into the game, but the mouse controls seem ultra touchy. Anyone else experience this?

Smiles

I'm just hopping into the game, but the mouse controls seem ultra touchy. Anyone else experience this?

Smiles

Have you tried adjusting the mouse sensitivity in the launcher window?

Smiles

Have you tried adjusting the mouse sensitivity in the launcher window?

Nope, I just launched the Auto.exe, I was too excited to play! I'll hop out and try that.

Smiles

Oh, and breadcrumbs, yes. Just wondering if you tried tossing things like heads at them? Both friendly and enemy automatons will track the movement. Its a great way to lead them around without being the bait.

Oh, I hadn't noticed that! I'll give it a try! =D

Ohhh, man. I was NOT expecting to like this game as much as I did.

Even though I was largely derping and flailing around randomly, just assembling whatever I could whenever I could, I did decently at clearing out rooms and sending in mining droids. I made good use of the Apocalyptinator for suicide charging bots on hard targets and followed my miners around to locate the next stash.

I did run into the dreaded stationary double-armed sniper 'o doom eventually, sending four bots to their deaths trying to kill the thing. Since it doesn't MOVE my bots can't get the first shot off, and beefy HP didn't seem to matter. In hindsight I should've sent in multiple bots at once, since it can only target one at a time...

This feels like a complete game. Polished as hell, amazing graphics, amazing sound, only minor interface clunkiness. It's a solid experience and if this is a PROTOTYPE then the full game is gonna blow doors down.

Since I feel obliged to add some complaints...

It can be very difficult to identify critical things like mining arms and heads in all the lumpy weirdness. Figuring out what part does what in general is difficult, even if you learn as you go. More easily recognizable shilouettes would help.

Often I found myself backtracking and backtracking to find something I needed badly, like a miner head or arm. I think an inventory wouldn't be inadvisable here, even if it's small in size or limited to X number of the same part. Often I'd be jogging here, grab item, jog back, toss item, etc. repeating until I had everything in one place and ready to assemble. Assembling on the spot would've meant a bot that wasn't close enough to its intended victim / power source, so it created busywork.

Despite these lumps this is still a great experience. Good work!

Just finished my first run of Autonomous.

First up, it looks and sounds amazing, and the primary mechanic of running around putting parts together works great.

However... I really had no idea what I was doing much of the time. The main issues I encountered were:

1) I can't tell which robots are mine, and which were already there. I also can't tell which are going to be hostile towards me, and which ones friendly.

2) I don't understand what the initial sliders do (Head/Torso/Legs/Arms).

3) I can't make head nor tail of the Head programming.

4) Having built a robot I'm not super clear on what it'll do next, and given that I can't tell hostiles from friendlies, I can never tell who wins when they fight!

I think in a full game a lot of these issues would be addressed in a tutorial section, and the rest probably ironed out with a more comprehensive UI. In fact, I'm sure the next time I play it I'll pick a lot more up than on my first run!

In any case, that all sounds horribly negative. Really, I think the game has a fantastic amount of potential (much of it already visible in the prototype) and I hope we get to see a *lot* more. Congrats to everyone involved!

EDIT: Oh, and one other thing... does the game have an extremely narrow FOV? I immediately felt a little sick when playing it, which tends to only happen with very narrow FOV games.

I don't even know where to download the games!

I think they're only available if you contributed to Amnesia Fortnight on the Humble Bundle site (I could be wrong on that). If you did contribute, just head over to www.humblebundle.com, sign in to your account and scroll to the bottom and hit the "Amnesia Fortnight" link. On the page that follows you'll find the download links, near the bottom of the page.

I think they're only available if you contributed to Amnesia Fortnight on the Humble Bundle site (I could be wrong on that). If you did contribute, just head over to www.humblebundle.com, sign in to your account and scroll to the bottom and hit the "Amnesia Fortnight" link. On the page that follows you'll find the download links, near the bottom of the page.

Ah yes, I found out the moment I posted that.

Game runs like crap though on my computer for some reason. very laggy. Is there away to turn down graphic settings or anything or is anyone else having the same problems and it might just be because it's a prototype?

Ah yes, I found out the moment I posted that.

Game runs like crap though on my computer for some reason. very laggy. Is there away to turn down graphic settings or anything or is anyone else having the same problems and it might just be because it's a prototype?

I was actually wondering the same thing. In the newest download the uploaded, there is a launcher you can run rather than running the executable. The launcher will allow you to turn off full screen, lower the graphics quality, and adjust mouse sensitivity.

But even if you don't run full screen and you turn the graphics quality way down, it just turns off shaders and textures and things. What would be really nice is the ability to set the resolution. The "Default" config file in the download has lines for setting the FULL SCREEN resolution, but if you turn off full screen, there doesn't appear to be any way to set the windowed resolution.

Strangely, I had a few laggy problems when running the game on the highest graphics settings, but when I changed to the lowest graphics setting, it started out running smoother and then froze and hiccuped whenever I picked up parts or opened the construction grid. So it proved better to run it in highest graphics settings with a bit of lagginess rather than in lowest settings where there was freezing!

My feedback can be summed up in one line:

HOLY HELL THIS GAME NEEDS TO GO INTO FULL PRODUCTION!

Great, thoughtful feedback!

A few of the "needed" things were on the list, but got cut. The biggest one being a map. And the cool thing about that map is the automatons made it LIVE for you as they worked their way through the world.

Thanks for playing and keep the ideas coming, everyone.

Lee

I had problems getting my automata where I wanted them, too. I tried using parts to lure one around but I'd assumed that that required it to be aggressive towards sound, which proved too dangerous to be practical. Next time I'll give it a go with one just reacting to movement. I also hadn't realised that the automata could bounce off the player. It was pointed out in one of the tip videos, and they showed how it could be used to fairly effectively guide an automaton. When I was playing my strategy became to just rip an automaton apart and cart it one piece at a time, back and forth, to where I wanted it to be. That became pretty arduous after a while.

When I didn't directly intervene my war machines tended to just hang around the area in which they were built. I think it would be more fun if they went out on their own more often - if not by following player-dropped breadcrumbs, maybe (with the right head programming) they could mark an area 'safe' if they've been hanging around there for a while, then go searching with some smarter pathing for a non-safe area. Other, weaker automata could be programmed to not leave the safe areas. Another idea is for a head to constantly try to go to places it hasn't been to before. Or maybe some heads can be attracted to far-off events, like a distress beacon or another one of your automata calling for them. Anything to get them to dynamically move around the world a bit more would be nice, though I guess there's a balance to be found as the whole level probably shouldn't play itself after building four or five automata, with zero further player input.

My miners, however, did seem to find their way around the level. I wasn't really paying attention to what they were doing, but every so often I'd look up and notice a bunch of dotted energy lights in the sky. I'm not really sure why they were so much better at navigation.

Apart from that I really enjoyed the game. It was great being in such a different feeling environment, and I had a lot of fun figuring out what all the parts do, how the head programming affected behaviour, and then using that knowledge against the enemy automata.

Oh, one thing I didn't understand is what the 'mass' stat on primatives does... anyone know?

Just finished my first run of Autonomous.

1) I can't tell which robots are mine, and which were already there. I also can't tell which are going to be hostile towards me, and which ones friendly.

Your bots have their parts connected by blu electricity and they are fairly friendly, enemy bots' parts are connected with red electricity and they are EVIL

Just finished my first session with it and it's really amazing. After I saw the style in the 2PP documentary I immediately wanted to buy you guys a beer (the good german one ;P). Such great art style and the game is so much fun! I know I'll be playing that prototype for a long time. Great work!

Gotta say I absolutely love this game. I just finished (well, kinda... I'll get to that) my second playthrough, and it was even more enjoyable than the first. I'm gonna play a bit more before I post my thoughts at length, but in short: The art style is amazing, and the gameplay is tense and rewarding.

The only immediate negatives I've seen are that sometimes it can be incredibly difficult to find the parts you need (not entirely bad, just occasionally frustrating), some better pathing and exploration settings for automatons would be helpful, and it would be nice if there were a few things to do other than build robots and open gates (maybe some basic environmental puzzles? I could see that being outside the scope of a 2 week prototype though). I'd also appreciate it if exiting the game after collecting half of the energy was only optional (maybe a portal would open in the center of the level?), as I kinda wanted to continue on and dominate the whole map. Loved the ending though. :)

Also, there are understandably a few technical rough spots. The default mouse sensitivity is crazy high, and seems to fluctuate based on game performance (?). I tried to configure the options using Launcher.exe, but it wouldn't work because I don't have the right .NET framework version. I could probably find it on the net, but it would be nice if a redistributable was included with the game (it wasn't, that I could find). Also, on my second playthough I set out to explore the whole map, beat every pre-existing automaton, and harvest every energy reactor thing. I was just about finished, but when my automaton harvested the last reactor the game froze and a window popped up titled Callstack. There was nothing in the window, only an OK button. When I hit OK, the game stopped working altogether and I got a message saying something about Data Execution Prevention was forced to close the program.

Still, these minor technical issues haven't come anywhere close to dampening my excitement for this game. Lee, you and your team did something amazing here. A small amount of additional content/modes, and maybe a bit more polish, and I think you could easily have an incredible full game. If it gets to that point, I'll be there day one, cash in hand.

Your bots have their parts connected by blu electricity and they are fairly friendly, enemy bots' parts are connected with red electricity and they are EVIL

Ah, that sounds right. I noticed on my second run that some bots had red electricity, but the design being what it is means it's not always easy to spot at a distance or in the heat of battle.

Just completed the prototype, it took several tries, sometimes because of freezes which happened around some robots but I couldn't tell what made them special. The game looks fantastic, I can't believe this was created in 2 weeks. The interface is completely counter-intuitive, and most of the gameplay concepts, but this might not be that big a drawback because the game is designed around doing many runs and experimenting, basically learning by doing. Some of my robots just decided to hump walls and sometimes finding certain parts was infuriating.

I did find that most of the stuff was happening away from me. I set my mining robots to be fast and to run away when damaged, they basically went off and mined everything, and I didn't see them do any of it. Also there was plenty of robot massacre, I didn't see most of it, just the remains of the carnage. I went looking for blind robots and melee robots, to bait and kill each other, and grenade robots to kill themselves.

If I were to get one change to the gameplay, I'd like making robots to be way easier. Finding parts is too hard sometimes, moving 2 parts from one place to another takes one too many trips, and I'd like to deploy ready made robots into an area, not have to set them up in a fire zone.

Apart from the bugs this is already an excellent game. Lee is a genius, I absolutely love this and Stacking.

i just beat the game earlier today on my secconed play (i was babysitting and ran out of time to play on my first play through) and what i was hoping for was the ability to set a robot to follow player movement. in truth i was hoping it would be a "big daddy" while i wondered around rebuilding the mining robot and building multiple attack robots to derp around different segments of the map. also the collisions of destroyed parts was off and important parts kept falling/getting pushed into walls(by me accidentally or other robots to troll me).

it would also be interesting if it was more of a point control game. an AI or another player creates bots to either take a tower or hunt hostile bots. while players are able to stop each others construction by shooting it with a shocky ball.

different modes could be.

race - control points and they cant be taken

domination - take their points while defending your own.

death match - hunt them down (disabling a tower gives you more power to build bots)

the lack of textures was what interested me the most. gave me a feel of an alternate reality of what tron could have been.

some of the weapons where not totally clear on what they did, this tube like weapon didn't seem to do anything when it was only thing equipped on a robot.

ending was not expected but also gave me a feel that i did something good.

i wish i had the ability to jump

instead of stairs, have a first person climbing experience so you actually feel like you found something. could put a part on top so you have a reason to climb.

eather way, this may be the only game of the prototypes that i will replay after having beat it. (i can't seem to be able to get past the great depression in spacebace.)

Just finished my third go of Autonomous, and I actually managed to collect all the energy this time. Progress!

So I think I've got the hang of the four "general" sliders now, though I can never really tell if my changes have been beneficial or not. Additionally, the moment I've activated the bot I've no way to tell what his stats are, and he instantly becomes part of the crowd. Perhaps you could assign a descriptive name to each bot based on its head/sliders; for example FAST, PERCEPTIVE GLADIATOR, or TOUGH, POWERFUL MINER. It'd be great to be able to see that kind of info by hovering your cursor over both hostiles and allies, making it much easier to make strategic decisions.

The head programming makes a little more sense to me now, though I'm finding it's still quite difficult to predict what a given bot will do. During my last run I programmed several of bots that ended up completely ignoring both me and other hostiles, or simply getting blown up before I could discover what they were going to do. Sometimes I even encountered hostiles that would blow themselves up with no indication of why! I think my previous suggestion about the customised titles could help with this one; if the player does what I obviously did and unwittingly programs a blind, deaf robot, that could be represented in its title somehow.

I was also thinking that an alternate bot movement system might be good. A lot of my attempts to use one robot to destroy another ended with me wandering off, having grown bored with watching the two witless bots stuck in a near-endless loop of wall-bumping. Perhaps things would be less chaotic if the robots could only move on an invisible grid on the floor? A narrow corridor would only have a single line the bots could drive along, whereas a large, square room might have a three by three grid, allowing movement along several different tracks. I think that might help in allowing the bots to actually go where the player wants them to, rather than getting turned around completely because they clipped a doorway or whatever.

Sorry for the rambling post!

Having played a bit more I found the trick to making an automaton move around the level looking for trouble.

SPOILERS (highlight to view): [Set it to be aggressive towards energy (the middle option). Even if it doesn't have a mining arm it'll still smartly path through corridors and between rooms, heading towards an energy tower, which will inevitably result in encounters with enemy automata.] /SPOILERS

Really enjoying the proto so far. I had some ideas that could be added if the game went into full development-

Different Gloves

Although "The Shocker" is pretty useful, I thought some variety would be nice. A glove that allows you to temporarily control an automaton, but has a really long cooldown and decreases your health for balance. A glove that marks any automaton so that all nearby automatons attack it.

More Blue prints

It really depends on the type of game the final product would be, but the potential for alternate blueprints for the automatons you build could be exciting. The current blueprint is quite flexible with all the combinations so maybe what I'm suggesting is more diverse parts. Such as flying automatons or automatons that are a "carrier" type. They can transport other automatons or hold parts for you to use later.

Codex

It would be great to have an encyclopedia of parts that fills out when you discover each part. You would be able to see the stats and description of each part as well as be able to select it in the encyclopedia which will highlight it in the world. It could send out a soft ping every once in awhile and when that ping hits your selected part it highlights for you. This would make it easier to find certain parts in the heat of battle and not have to run up and look down at each part.

Viruses/glitches

Some parts could be infected with viruses or cause glitches. This would temporarily (randomly) affect the programming of the automaton, but would have the potential for a higher output of energy (or more efficient use of energy) so when given the option for power distribution, you have more to work with.

Parts

An arm that rips pieces off of other automatons and adds the parts to itself.

Misc

Having access to a teleporter item- you only have access to two or three "teleporter pads" which allow you to quickly travel between each one. A large cooldown would deter frivolous use, or maybe it doesn't matter.

That's it for now, great job guys!

Sign in to follow this