Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrummerX

Just finished playthrough of the prototype!

Completed Autonomous yesterday, and like everyone here before me I am really impressed! This game seems like it's almost ready to ship!

Agree with the suggestions made before that it would have been extremely helpful to have an onscreen HUD mini-map as well as a larger one that can be toggled on and off with the Tab button. And from the responses it looks like it was one of the features to be added, but just didn't have enough time to make it into the prototype. Would have been nice if this HUD map would also display the robot parts laying about, and identify the friendly robots (perhaps in green) and enemy robots (in red).

It also might be useful if there were some additional landmarks in the maze. All the corridors start to look the same even with the colored guide paths, and me having a terrible sense of direction I kept wandering aimlessly back and forth until I killed every enemy robot (which made each area look even more the same!). That said, after dying a few times I realized that it was always the same map- it's just the spawn point that changes. This is totally cool with me- but from all the fast completion times that were posted I'm guessing I was the only one that thought that map was ginormous? Again, it was a great prototype map, but if this is released I hope it will start with easier, smaller tutorial maps!

For the production release (hopefully assuming!) it would also be nice to have the friendly robots (the ones you create) be outlined in green and perhaps the enemy robots outlined in red just for distinction. I found it confusing at times especially if you created several robots in one area. I could only safely differentiate between the two by stunning them and seeing if I could take them apart.

Finally, my biggest request which I think was talked about during AF is if you can carry multiple parts in an inventory rather than having to pick up pieces one at a time. Perhaps allow holding up to one head piece, two arms, one torso, and one legs piece at a time in addition to one item in your grip. The stats or special functions for each piece should also be displayed so you can compare any piece you find with that in your inventory. For example, if you pick up the propeller blade arm it should show that it is for melee combat and deals X amount of damage as compared to your Multi-Vectrix cannon which fires energy bolts that deal Y amount of damage.

Extremely, well done prototype! Much more than I would have believed possible could be done in just two weeks!

Something extremely minor and I'm certain I could get used to, but it could be a minor annoyance for others similar to me. During start-up with the "press any key screen" I keep hitting escape without thinking and this makes me end the game, I would personally like for "any key" to really mean any key and not any key except Escape.

Sign in to follow this