Sign in to follow this  
liorean

Bugs'n'Glitches

Noticed some things in it. Obviously this is a prototype and not a full game, so I have no idea how useful my reporting them are, but:

- You can walk through the thorn wall.

- The camera switch when encountering the first rope is really irritating - the forced camera change also changes the direction she goes after you have started going for the rope.

- A few other camera locking places were irritating, like the one just before the bridge.

- The bridge balancing scene can be repeated even though the bridge is shown as being down already before you jump onto it.

- The bridge seems to swing back only first time, I've walked all the way to the edge of it after jumping down on it again.

- After being pushed off the cliff while the birds are hacking at you, the camera changes, and it's hard to steer the girl out towards the player as I was forced to do. Can't seem to rotate it by mouse either, or at least it's not as easy.

- When the claw opens after you've climbed in the middle of it, there's a glitch where the part that falls down for an instant isn't continuing the movement as expected.

- The girl's handhold on the rotating thing that opens the roof at the end seems to be pushing it up away from her, not hanging onto it.

Had an interesting dying bug - missed the last rope jump on top of the machine and fell down through the trigger at the top of the bridge. It reset to the upright position and I could push it over, but once I was on the ground it applied my death. Then trying to get back over the bridge the game had a few confused states where it flipped between a few different puzzle/animation states. At the end it also gave me butterflies incorrectly, possibly a side effect of the other bug since I think that might have been my last death, but not sure.

Butterflies at the end? I got a white screen and then the credits.

Yeah I got that on completion still. I mean I got the 'Custodian' bonus on the starting another new game when you should only get that with no deaths. Explained in the PDF and mentioned briefly on livestream.

Here's a few I found:

-There are certain pillars along the walls you can walk through.

-The iron cage around the rope(ironworks puzzle after the bridge) can be passed through jumping for the rope(though not able to grab the rope).

-When you initially climb through the hole into the tower, she tumbles down, and not sure if it's just the look of it, or if the skirt does in fact disappear during the sequence.

-Once you've jumped onto the barred back of the bridge, you are unable to jump off, forcing you to kill yourself to restart the puzzle.

And here's a few frustrations I had so far with the game(I know it's a prototype, so they aren't detrimental to my enjoyment of the game overall):

-The lower ledge to jump down to below the bridge is very short, and difficult to guess, possibly making the first(couple) failed attempts assume you need another route to force the bridge down.

-The catch recognition for walking off an edge seems to catch you when you want to fall(bridge puzzle), but far to easy to just walk off a ledge you weren't meaning to jump off.

-The fixed camera is a great idea, however the angle that they usually attach themselves makes moving a pain, often having to move diagonally to make jumps, and with the running mechanic the precision of angled movements isn't ideal.

I'll post more as I have more time to play through the game(and figure out the ironworks puzzle).

No offense, but it's kind of cute reporting "bugs 'n' glitches" for White Birch.

I am certain, the team around Andy is completely (and painfully!) aware of all the "bugs 'n' glitches" they had to "ship" this with, to the public (which in every other company would stay in-house and be never seen by outsiders).

Certain "shortcuts" in game mechanics and animation are too obvious. But that's what you get with a prototype? It's raw. It's interesting. It shows it's potential in broad strokes? Even more painful, if those, who make this, are usually all about "Finesse" and "Nuance"; making tiny details right and polishing for months. You should not take this thing "literally" - rather "read between the lines"? Read between the "glitches"?

Don't get me wrong neither. I jumped & died a lot. Again & again. I had to watch Andy's playthrough on the Stream to figure out how to get to the end. It's just - I don't "blame" the "game" - nor would I list all the things that felt "wrong" - because, it is not a game. It's a prototype.

Look above! What do you see in the sky?

:)

It's just - I don't "blame" the "game" - nor would I list all the things that felt "wrong" - because, it is not a game. It's a prototype.

Who said anything about blaming the game? I and I expect many others, were listing these things to help weed out what it was we liked about the game, and what we did not like about the game, without blaming the game for various bugs and glitches that were expected from a prototype. There have been many people in the threads that were posting disdain for the game, largely based on these glitches and frustrations, so acknowledging them will help the developers know that we know what problems exist, so we aren't complaining about the game based on those.

It's just - I don't "blame" the "game" - nor would I list all the things that felt "wrong" - because, it is not a game. It's a prototype.

Who said anything about blaming the game? I and I expect many others, were listing these things to help weed out what it was we liked about the game, and what we did not like about the game, without blaming the game for various bugs and glitches that were expected from a prototype. There have been many people in the threads that were posting disdain for the game, largely based on these glitches and frustrations, so acknowledging them will help the developers know that we know what problems exist, so we aren't complaining about the game based on those.

yeah bug reporting is just part of the test process, man.

Nice avatar, btw.

Sign in to follow this