Sign in to follow this  
PaulloDEC

Black Lake - Prototype Reactions

Let me just echo that Black Lake definitely stole the show. I didn't really know what to expect of it, but I was completely blown away by how many neat ideas there were and how beautifully they all fit together. It would be a shame not to make a full game out of this.

I think it would be fine either way. Okami didn't do mouth animations most of the time, although they did do a lot of head-bobbling with the human characters. And pretty much ZERO old school games had mouth animations, and that didn't really create confusion.

While it's true that Okami didn't have mouth animations for talking, I think that was because they used a kind of mumble speech similar to Banjo Kazooie. If they (or another game) used actual human speech, it probably would've been weird since the general trend in games nowadays is to associate human speech with lip synching.

And though old games might not have flapped gums, remember that a lot of old games were purely 2D (not 3D like Black Lake), where either there wasn't enough pixels to show mouth animation in a reasonable way or where talking could often be done by moving mouth pixels up and down a few spaces.

In any case, I feel that the real reason for the weird talking animation with the fox was the time constraint. Whether they did telepathy or something else, I imagine the end result would look better than the prototype since they'd have more time to polish things.

Impressive work. I love the mechanics of this, the new kind of mouse controls work so good once you get used to them.

So *much* more immersive than a point and click system! Beautiful art and mood and I just love to play it.

The camera work is so good, considering we're dealing with a lush forest here. I always dreadmed of a Zelda game featuring such a

satisfying forest level as this game has. It never came. Now - although not a Zelda game - there it is. Thank you!

This is it! This it the one I want made into a real game! It was so much fun and so well polished! I love the art, I love the mechanics. everyone on this team take a bow because you did such an amazing job. I ran into ZERO bugs, everything was very clear really good direction techniques. I still cannot believe the level of polish that was done in just 2 weeks.

Black Lake was a real joy to play! The character design of the nightmare fox is fantastic. Simple yet so threatening. Exploring was very interesting thanks to the excellent atmosphere. The music as phenomenal (I'm looking at you accordion melodies). The most impressive thing about this prototype is the fact that it doesn't feel like a prototype. This feels like a game. I am quite impressed at the polish this application shows with only 2 weeks of development.

Love it!

Unfortunately I've only got my work laptop with me, and it can't seem to handle the graphics all that well.

Smiles

I loved this prototype. Obviously the atmosphere and mood were fantastic but I really enjoyed the exploration gameplay a lot more than I thought I would. Watching the pitches and the first episode I was probably least interested in this one but after trying the game I am all for it. I think it would definitely make for a great full game. I really like the idea of telling a story through exploration gameplay. In a full game more pieces(songs and abilities) could be added to flesh it out but keeping the spotlight on the exploration of this strange world stands out from games where all the focus is on combat or puzzles. I hope this gets made eventually.

Played through it again to see if I missed anything. found if you press up on the D pad you get a hat lol and pressing the back button puts you to sleep. Not sure what its for though. Still really enjoy it and hope we see a real game out of this one.

and pressing the back button puts you to sleep. Not sure what its for though.

IIRC, going to sleep is like "dying", and you just go back to the last main clue you saw text at, as those function like checkpoints.

Hi.

Just wanted to say that this was the best prototype of this AF. The only problem I had was to actually understand what to do (after a few meters, I had trouble finding where the trail was going and was not too sure about what I needed to do to continue).

Great atmosphere, design and music. Of course, it lacks a lot to make a full game but it is a really great prototype.

The other one I really enjoyed was Hack & Slash (though I did not originally vote for it) and The White Birch (but it was a lot more buggy and lacked something).

I must say this game was epic. I loved the music and atmosphere. Like many others, I wasn't sure waht to do but I caught on quickly. I got lost like a sh-tload of times (apparently, died less than getting lost. oh the irony). Camera angle is spiffy but It's fine.

My favorite part? The credits. xDD keep it up.

- Emiifire.

Camera angle is spiffy but It's fine.
I always thought 'spiffy' meant something like cool\suave\neat. What did you mean regarding the camera angle?

Oh and if I haven't already said it, I really love this prototype :)

(repost for correct thread!)

This was definitely my favourite prototype. So much about it that I thought was excellent! Visuals were great, audio was great, I enjoyed exploring the world, the game mechanics all worked really well together. The way the art/world reacted to the lantern on/off mechanic. The storybook / fable type feel to it all. The narrative itself. Was all just spot on.

The only one thing for me was that I didn’t read the instructions beforehand and didn’t realise you could camp at the last clue as a way of backtracking if you got lost. But, as you were put back at the last clue when you die (thank you for doing that!), it didn’t take me long to pick up the trail again and finish the demo.

Having said that, I didn’t mind being lost! So much pretty stuff to look at. I especially appreciated that the little waterfall actually made a waterfall noise. :D Attention to detail!

Really hoping this is the one that comes out on top, as I’d definitely play through this one.

Well done to the Black Lake team! :)

best prototype so far. atmosphere and graphics are stunning, zero bugs, what a work!

so glad I can give you the money you deserve!

in the soundtrack files there are are lullabies! you guys make my day

finally got to play this game prototype, and i have to say, it was a great experience. i enjoyed the real sense of danger and unknown the game had, as well as freedom of exploration. i felt like there was a lot of attention to detail, especially for a demo. when i started walking through the fox's dream, i was blown away. a truly mouth dropping moment. great job Levi and team.

This prototype WAS great. I wish/hope DF actually gets to bring this one to life. I was so sure that out of all the Prototypes in this round of AF that Black Lake would be one of the titles to get picked up, especially given the super positive response, but so far just silence. I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that it may not actually happen. Le sigh.

Sign in to follow this