Sign in to follow this  
clydebink

Let's answer each others questions about the game.

I'll start. If anyone can tell me how to make a door, I would be grateful. As of now, I just vaporize a wall. Is that the same as making a door?

I'll start. If anyone can tell me how to make a door, I would be grateful. As of now, I just vaporize a wall. Is that the same as making a door?

I think so. I designated a new area and then destroyed the segment of wall leading into it. My citizens didn't seem to react at all, so I bumped the speed up to 32x and eventually 2 or 3 of my citizens went up there and started building the new area. They never finished it, though, because one of the people working on it got sick and went to the infirmary and died there, the other one got really lazy and just stood in one place not doing anything, and the other one left to do something else and never came back. I designated a new area leading off from it to see if that would lure some people back, because I hadn't reached an asteroid/derelict yet and I really wanted to get the new crew and resources, but nobody came. Instead they all just went crazy or got sick and died. o.O

I think the mistake I was making is that I started out with all these people, so I immediately wanted to sign people to all the possible jobs and create all the possible zones. I created all possible zones and had 2 people on each job, with 4 people on maintenance. But since you want to get out to those derelicts/asteroids to get new crew and resources, probably you're going to want to focus more on building at first, so maybe I should have done that. If an engineer/maintenance guy dies, it is probably good to reassign a bartender to one of those jobs, for example, although that would worry me that I was putting sociability/happiness at risk. Will try starting a new base and see if I can get some different results.

I think something that might be difficult to add but would be really helpful is if there were some kind of AI aboard every spacebase that sort of graded you based on everything that was happening. You get the little news blips about individual people getting sick, but it's difficult to keep track of all those different stats at the individual level. And if you're new to the game, it might be difficult to determine how you're doing or if you're playing it right. It might be helpful to have a system that sort of watches everything and gives you warnings and suggestions under certain conditions. For example, if it notices X number of crew members have really low sociability, it might make a suggestion about how to counterract sociability problems. Or if you start building a room, say, and it exists for X amount of time without further progress being made on it, it could suggest to you reasons why that might be happening. A sort of evaluation system.

Gonna try another play!

It's not the same, no. There's a custom build door mode. It's in the build menu, or press the d key for a shortcut. Check out the included instructions.pdf, too. It has lots of useful info in it!

PS - when people are sick, you want to make sure to have an infirmary and a doctor to attend to them there.

My people keep on going hungry and i'm not 100% sure why. I have gardens and Pubs... So, I'm not sure why they are starving.

My people keep on going hungry and i'm not 100% sure why. I have gardens and Pubs... So, I'm not sure why they are starving.

Make sure you have a bartender to build stuff in the pubs, too.

The game isn't perfectly balanced, though, so you can't always make everyone happy no matter what you do.

I can't seem to find a way to zoom in without having a middle mouse button. Is there a key that does it or an icon I can use?

Really hard to play at the initial zoom level.

Great thread idea.

Can someone post a screenshot of a well-balanced base?

EDIT - The instructions.pdf did not make the initial too-early release. It makes the game a lot clearer! If you don't have it just download again.

In addition to the above (press d) - It's been useful for me to make connecting corridors at least 2 or 3 wide - sometimes the game won't let you make a door to a corridor because the adjacent walls are full of corners.

I can't seem to find a way to zoom in without having a middle mouse button. Is there a key that does it or an icon I can use?

We require a 3 button mouse for that. There's no shortcut. Sorry!!!!

If you're on a laptop, there is a good chance you can look at the settings of your touchpad to get instructions how to middle-click. If not or if you just want it a bit more convenient, use Autohotkey: http://www.autohotkey.com/.

Let me know if you have trouble using it, I'm sure I can help (had that issue on a business trip once where I forgot my mouse).

I got the message that there is a murderer on my Station but found no way to stop him. Is there allready something in game to stop someone from murdering my crew?

I got the message that there is a murderer on my Station but found no way to stop him. Is there allready something in game to stop someone from murdering my crew?

Your only option in the prototype is to wall them off and then wait for them to die or be spaced by a meteor. If you're very good with the build area and vaporize tools, you can also create a hull breach of your own near the murderous jerk.

Is there any way to see the history of a certain person's "status updates?"

One of my people mentioned their thoughts on Lars Von Trier XXVII's (that isn't the exact number) remake of Mrs Doubtfire, but I missed what it said exactly.

Side note- the concept of a distant descendant of Lars Von Trier remaking Mrs Doubtfire might be my favorite line I've ever encountered in a video game. Hats off to whoever put that line in there.

Is there any way to see the history of a certain person's "status updates?"

One of my people mentioned their thoughts on Lars Von Trier XXVII's (that isn't the exact number) remake of Mrs Doubtfire, but I missed what it said exactly.

Side note- the concept of a distant descendant of Lars Von Trier remaking Mrs Doubtfire might be my favorite line I've ever encountered in a video game. Hats off to whoever put that line in there.

I haven't seen that, but I literally laughed out loud. That is so ridiculous!

Is there a way to play the game in full screen at all?

That's my one main nitpick so far...

the zooming in and out is also a little foolhardy as the only way to see the screen in HUD is to click Vaporize. Unless I'm missing something.

No fullscreen mode, sadly.

I'm confused by the zoom/HUD question, however. Could you clarify what you mean, or provide a screenshot?

I noticed how bad my clarification was.

I noticed that the only way to just see everything without any of the status/build/zone/etc was to be on Vaporize. Click on anything else and it opens up that panel and takes up 1/3 of the entire screen.

Unless I'm just clueless. I understand prototype... so I'm just not sure I'm missing something or this is just how things had to be in the time allowed.

I noticed how bad my clarification was.

I noticed that the only way to just see everything without any of the status/build/zone/etc was to be on Vaporize. Click on anything else and it opens up that panel and takes up 1/3 of the entire screen.

Unless I'm just clueless. I understand prototype... so I'm just not sure I'm missing something or this is just how things had to be in the time allowed.

You can hit Esc or i to activate the inspect tool. That doesn't take much space up at all unless you click on a citizen.

Sign in to follow this