Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
liorean

Mouse control

As I find it, the mouse control for the game is problematic. You want a different sensitivity and speed for moving between fix-points in the 2D layout of the UI and the 3D movement of the first person perspective. I accidentally used the restart option instead of the resume button in the pause menu because of this in a game where i was less than a hundred from breaking 4000. (And thus had spent a great deal of time on.)

Sorry about that. The mouse control in the HUD/UI is rough, and we were unable to fix it in the prototype timeline.

A few things that help:

- You can press spacebar as a "quick confirm" in both the head programming and distribution menus.

- You can use the keyboard arrow keys and enter key to navigate the pause menu instead.

Thanks, didn't even think about trying keyboard inputs for that. If you make a full game out of this at some point, adjusting the mouse and making the keyboard shortcuts more discoverable might be a good thing to do.

Another thing about mouse control on my pc I have allot of mouse lag/smoothing makes steering feel really horrible might be because I have not 60 fps.

Probably not my graphics card that can't keep up because it doesn't matter what quality I put him my fps are the same even in windowed mode when resolution is lower. 30 fps when looking to the sky 15 when looking at the world(amd phenom II X3 720 at 70% usage and NVidia gforce 560ti at 40% usage). Would probably been fine playing if the mouse speed wasn't as much connected to the fps like it currently is what is making allot of mouse lag.

I dropped sensitivity to 70% in the launcher, and had far less issues with maneuvering and menus.

Controls were pretty damn good in general for DF's first 1st person game. And THANK YOU for allowing mouse inversion -- us old bastards who weaned on 90s PC games appreciate it!

I can't get the camera to function in an acceptable manner, it is either so fast and skittish that it will unpredictably zig-zag around in a mad panic with just the slightest nudge of my mouse, or it is so incredibly sluggish that it takes an absolute age to just change the direction I'm looking. I've tried every possible sensitivity setting in the launcher, and every DPI setting on my mouse, but it doesn't make any difference.

I realise that this is a prototype that was made in just 14 days, so problems like this are to be expected, but is there any chance that we'll atleast see a patch to correct these problems?

I can't get the camera to function in an acceptable manner, it is either so fast and skittish that it will unpredictably zig-zag around in a mad panic with just the slightest nudge of my mouse, or it is so incredibly sluggish that it takes an absolute age to just change the direction I'm looking. I've tried every possible sensitivity setting in the launcher, and every DPI setting on my mouse, but it doesn't make any difference.

I realise that this is a prototype that was made in just 14 days, so problems like this are to be expected, but is there any chance that we'll atleast see a patch to correct these problems?

What are the system specs of the machine you're running on? How is the framerate? The input system in the prototype needs decent Framerate to do well, so maybe try dialing the gfx settings down and then adjust the sensitivity?

I've noticed some weirdness in just the WASD walking. I have a fine framerate and it responds adequately, it just feels kind of bizarrely clunky and 'sticky'. I chalked it up to a 2 week prototype, engine conversion, and DF's just general lack of experience with first person movement. Still an excellent game however!

yea, i have inconsistent mouse behavior too.

sometimes the mouse turns fast, sometimes i really have to drag it.

i played pretty far and the entire game seemed to get unplayably slow.

i'm guessing automatons get activated when you first enter a region and i kind of just ran for it and there were tons active at the same time.

maybe the automaton AI script is taking a bigger and bigger chunk of the gameloop, and mouse inconsistency is the result of that AI chunk fluctuating?

i also tried to restrict the executable to 1 core in case there was some race condition going on, but that made the framerate drop to like 2 fps.

it's my favourite prototype and i'd love to keep playing but the slowdown is way too much

i do not have other controllers plugged in

More mouse issues here. For me putting the sensitivity slider to anything less than 1.0 results in the mouse being completely dead in-game, the view won't move a pixel even if I swipe the mouse across the pad. At 1.0 it's insanely sensitive instead, probably because I have a high-dpi mouse. The only way i can play the game is by lowering my mouse dpi to the max and then setting the windows mouse sens so low I can't even navigate around windows anymore and have to alt-tab to the game :) It still feels pretty bad though, but it's playable.

No framerate issues, the engine seems to cap at 30 fps but it never dips below that. Running win7 64-bit, core i7, 16gb ram, geforce gtx 670. Mouse is a zowie ec-1. No issues with the other prototypes.

FWIW, I just completed a playthrough on a decidedly average Ultrabook (albeit with plenty of RAM) and on a Low setting I found everything ran smoothly both framerate-wise and mouse-wise. It was playable (just about) on the High setting an a carnival of confusion on the Very High setting, albeit a ridiculously gorgeous one.

It's BUCKETS of fun!!!

More mouse issues here. For me putting the sensitivity slider to anything less than 1.0 results in the mouse being completely dead in-game, the view won't move a pixel even if I swipe the mouse across the pad.

Same here, only way is to leave it at 1.0 for me and configure mouse sensitivity on the hardware side (Razer Mamba here)

The thing I noticed however, is that the mouse still works in the menu. It appears almost as if the sensitivity value is not treated as a float, but an int at some point and just cuts of the decimal part for the 3D world view.

More mouse issues here. For me putting the sensitivity slider to anything less than 1.0 results in the mouse being completely dead in-game, the view won't move a pixel even if I swipe the mouse across the pad.

Same here. Higher mouse sensitivity is not a problem, but for anything <=0.99 I cannot turn at all. Mouse buttons and moving the mouse in the menue still works, though.

Sign in to follow this