Sign in to follow this  
pakoito

Hack/Slash library

I don't know who's playing this but I'm quite stuck. After getting the slowmotion clock in the castle you access a library, I have mapped it whole but I haven't found any extraordinary rooms. I have checked some books here and there just to find they're not understandable. Bummer.

Annoyed, I went to the game code because it's supposed to be a hacking game so why not. There are some unencrypted LUA files (still working for a plausible "library map" array) and most importantly, in /Win/Hidden/ there's a file named HiddenJournal.txt I have tried to open it with n++ in both ANSI and UTF-8 and it's just garbage. Sublime gave me some nice HEX which I don't know if it's random data, not-for-my-eyes-encrypted or a message/puzzle from the creators.

Maybe I'm overblowing it and I missed something previous to the library but 2 hours of my life is too much and I'm officially annoyed :P

The solution's easier than you'd expect. You don't need to understand the gibberish, just match it.

There's three lines of gibberish. These correspond to two staircases (directories) and the book itself (filename). Find the first matching staircase and go up it, then repeat, then find the book that matches the last line.

I do agree this isn't intuitive, especially since the rooms by design look identical. More hints or maybe less glyphs would help. It's not clear what exactly you're looking at or looking for.

Yeah I got better understanding after reading about the folder correspondence (it maps to AfHack\Win\Munged). It's just a alternate alphabet problem.

I got "Hey Jinn! It's Wiz. This is the kid I told you about. You should have the key to get the book".

Double mapping characters is cheating, and it's 6am.

What now? Match the what to what? No folder names correspond to the message. Nobody told me where the book is supposed to be nor I have seen any key.

yeah this is incredibly frustrating. there are 3 lines of code where? and match what to what? i understand this is just a prototype but did anyone actually think this stuff was intuitive if you had no coding experience?

If you start from the beginning of the library - then look at the plaques next to the staircases, you should only go up when one of the plaques matches a given line in the note. The third line is the book title.

Okay, I was stuck on this for a good half hour because I tried to do the library thing before doing the genie thing. It turns out you can't do it that way. I suspect this is pakoito's problem as well.

Thank you vigor. that was my problem. i had no idea you were supposed to be using the information on the note to find the book.

And where's the genie? In the cells? I can get in through a glitch and then it either crashes or I'm stuck in a weird collision problem.

Found the genie, in my 13' laptop with the game windowed the lamp is easy to miss.

/Rooms/Castle/PrincessChambers.lua

EDIT: So I read the book and nothing happened. Ok, nevermind. Anyway it's not what I expected. A hacking-themed zelda game is not the out of game "hacking" puzzles I expected, editing files, cheating and such to be able to finish it.

So, I think I found a bug in which I never get the right note. What happened was I got the note from Jinn, got caught by the guard and had to reload from before I'd talked to him, and suddenly my note was the note I'm supposed to give TO Jinn, not the one I got from him. When I talked to him, though, he acted like he'd already given me the note and was waiting for the book. So I thought that note was going to somehow get me to the right location. Turns out, NOPE. I restarted the game and this time got myself the correct note.

Yeah, it seems as though if you restart from a gamestate save your items get reset from your inventory, but not from the world. For instance: died while in "slow motion mode" and accidentally restored from a really old gamestate save, so the game was stuck in slow motion with no way for me to get back the hourglass.

Sign in to follow this