Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedLeader

HiddenJournal.txt

The interaction definitely looks like telling you the name and maybe a word or two otherwise. But nothing hinty really.

On BoltR's statement, I think it COULD be a whole game. Especially if you ended up coding your own weapons. They could even keep it interesting by changing the variable names for different creatures, or "shuffling" the memory contents, forcing you to adapt your weapons and "upgrade" them for new monsters.

I struggled with this for a few hours. It was a bit disappointing to have the game crash several times just when I thought I had the right answer. But then it didn't.

I enjoyed playing Hack n' Slash, but decoding the hidden journal was even more rewarding, I think. Thanks for sharing, Brandon. I hope you have the opportunity to flesh this out into a full game; it has a ton of potential.

Just as a background note: it's a lot easier to solve the puzzle ingame (and by accident) than most people think, also harder to give a hint on the right key. If you already solved it, here's a hint to what I mean: Windows Live ID (it's even the same number).

Congratulations to everyone who decoded the book! It definitely wasn't supposed to crash with an incorrect decode. I tested with a couple of bad keys that didn't crash, but clearly didn't test thoroughly enough. If we can squeeze out another patch (no promises) I'll fix that up.

The missing credits room is just a missing file. I'm bummed that it didn't get correctly exported in the distribution we uploaded to Steam (it's totally my fault). It's got the lovely faces of everyone who worked on the game in it. No extra hints in it, though :P

I don't want to give out any hints about the key, but I will say it's not hinted at explicitly in the game. There is a logical connection, though, as BoltR mentions.

BoltR's clue is probably the best one you can really give.

Was it intentional that the whole message would no fit in the dialogue I wonder? When I spotted the file I tried to... play by the rules I guess? by decrypting it in-game (though I replaced the symbolic font and added an exit to every location to the first area for expedience in clue-hunting/avoiding crashes from sequence breaking, since I figured the plaintext asset code was fair game). Then when the message seemed to end so abruptly I decompiled the key room and added a print statement. Not mucked around with game code in *years*, ahh the memories ^_^. Thanks for the wonderful prototype Brandon et al, I really hope it gets picked up for a full game! It's niche for sure, but by that very fact I think it would make an awesome candidate for another Kickstarter.

Was it intentional that the whole message would no fit in the dialogue I wonder?

You can page through the pages of a book by hitting space! You should be able to read the full decrypted message in game.

Was it intentional that the whole message would no fit in the dialogue I wonder?

You can page through the pages of a book by hitting space! You should be able to read the full decrypted message in game.

Oh wow, I never realized that!

Tried all kinds of other keys, but totally forgot to give space a try...

Congratulations to everyone who decoded the book! It definitely wasn't supposed to crash with an incorrect decode. I tested with a couple of bad keys that didn't crash, but clearly didn't test thoroughly enough. If we can squeeze out another patch (no promises) I'll fix that up.

The missing credits room is just a missing file. I'm bummed that it didn't get correctly exported in the distribution we uploaded to Steam (it's totally my fault). It's got the lovely faces of everyone who worked on the game in it. No extra hints in it, though :P

I don't want to give out any hints about the key, but I will say it's not hinted at explicitly in the game. There is a logical connection, though, as BoltR mentions.

Wait, it's on steam? Are all the prototypes on steam now? Because it's not in my games list, but when I 'reenter' the code I got, it says that I already have them, and then gives me the option to download them. However, it just errors out and says 'app not released'.

Oh wow, I never realized that!

Tried all kinds of other keys, but totally forgot to give space a try...

You and me both apparently! I thought when I first hit the library that surely there had to be some way to page through the .lua files, but nothing seemed to work - now I feel really dumb :P

I ran into EXACTLY the same problem. Space paging down does make a lot of sense, it's just one of those eye rolling discoveries.

Wow Brandon, thank you for that =D... I think after reading that I'd like to reiterate, if this game is released, I'd buy it no hesitation, I might even gift it to a few people who would appreciated it :)...

Very impressed!

I wonder if people missing the space is a clue that there's a slight inconsistency in the game controls? I know I was a little confused which keys to use with the Cable for a bit.

InteractTrigger: E or enter

Dialog.sayLine: any key to clear or go next - this is used for most scripted text

Dialog.editText: Q or enter to exit, space to pagedown - this is used for the books

Menu:

W, Up for cursor down

S, Down for cursor up

Q to exit

E, space, enter for select

PortHack:

Q or E to exit

A, Left for decrease

D, Right to increase

The only other place space is explicitly bound is its treated the same as E and Enter. And other case you might have pressed it was for the scripted dialog sequences where the any key behavior also makes it consistent with the other keys. So the only time you ever really need to use it for its special behavior is this, and you would have been used to it doing the same thing as every other key you used.

Pretty minor issue overall though.

Thank you very much for the great prototype and the last puzzle.

I tried to solve it by just playing the game but running back and

forth quickly turned into tedious fiddling.

Therefore changing the castle entrance guards into lua secret agents,

giving me the secret journal and conveniently decrypting it along the

way seemed a smarter way ;-)

Thank you for sharing this very personal message.

I really hope this turns into a fully fledged game project in the near

future and the overall direction is not changed drastically to improve

the appeal for a broader audience.

Just finished decrypting the journal, It really was a tough challenge for someone whose only background in programming is a little scientific computing in matlab... :)

I thought I'd be adventuring in a Zelda-esque fantasy world, but my journey was in a vast sea of support forums, dwindling caves of directories and a dark forest made up of lines of code in my command prompt. A true metagame if there ever was one. Thank you for an amazing experience!

Also, without the hints from kingschiebi and BoltR I probably wouldn't have done it. Thanks!

However, I never managed to decrypt the book without changing the code. I couldn't because I never figured out how to get all the pieces moved so to speak. Is it possible?

Ok... I've gotta be missing something here. I've played through the game like 6 times and this is just flying over my head! I've tried putting different books in the pedestal, but it crashes every time. Am I able to edit the files themselves in game?

@vickek It's possible, I managed to do it :)...

@Ephezius We can't edit the files ingame, you can edit some of the files (like the ones in munged) while the game is running, but not the data files I think. Though I could be wrong on that last point.

YES!!! When it didn't crash, it was the best feeling. I was putting the books/keys on the opposite stands! duh.

Did it completely in game. I have no programming knowledge at all, so I didn't really have a choice. Got one hint from Nikkelitous (hint: find the hiddenjournal in the world somewhere), but found it and the key and everything else. it is probably the most rewarding gaming thing i've done in a good while.

Love this Brandon!

I'm astonished and amazed at the people coming after this book and it's message. It's incredible that even people with little to no computer knowledge are trying so hard in a game all about hacking.

I think this would make an INCREDIBLE game to teach children about the depth of computers. This is exactly the type of game we need every elementary school student to play. It could do for Computer Science what Carmen Sandiego did for geography (and detectives). Put this game up on Kickstarter and I'd kick in far more than I would feel justified just for myself. I want this game for my own children. Heck, I want this game for my NEIGHBORS's children.

I think you're facing a world changer here.

It does provide a "nice" way to think about things doesn't it? I'm actually trying to work out how you would expand it.

It's really quite easy. You'd include more and more direct interface stuff. Also expand on scripting and other things.

Then you can do more advanced things like multiple languages and even full CPU emulation. Allowing a student to learn multiple computer languages, the computer hardware itself, and more.

It's really quite easy. You'd include more and more direct interface stuff. Also expand on scripting and other things.

Then you can do more advanced things like multiple languages and even full CPU emulation. Allowing a student to learn multiple computer languages, the computer hardware itself, and more.

I don't know if this would be a step too far away from the classic fantasy, but it would be neat to have a pseudo internet hint system or even a full-on integrated browser a la The Secret World - I'm not sure if people without any coding experience realise how much of this stuff is nothing more than having a logical, curious mindset and excellent google fu :).

Hell with an actual browser you could even find yourself downloading Tiled and generating new areas. Probably a step too far, but hey, I spent a couple of evenings using the game assets to recreate the original Legend of Zelda, so it's on my mind :P

I spent a couple of evenings using the game assets to recreate the original Legend of Zelda, so it's on my mind :P

Backup, seriously? That was quick, how much of it have you done?

Backup, seriously? That was quick, how much of it have you done?

Hah, sorry, that sounded rather grander than it should have, I just placed one glitch too many when I was turning the first screen into a warp room, started playing around on a whim, and went a bit mad :P

I've only very roughly mapped out the first screen and those that adjoin it, and started working on modding in player hitpoints and the sword. If I ever have a spare moment on the correct computer I'll pull up a couple of screenshots. Doubt I'll take it super-far, no time and besides, sooner or later I'd have to sully the beautiful graphics with terrible programmer art and that would be a travesty. Mostly just felt that hacking it in order to bring the homage full circle had a weird sort of poetry :)

Can some one please tell me what i have to do ingame to view the text? Just send me a PM. From what i understand i have to get in the credits room and take a book from there is that rigth?

Can some one please tell me what i have to do ingame to view the text? Just send me a PM. From what i understand i have to get in the credits room and take a book from there is that rigth?

Nope, credits room missing is just an oversight, there's another room that isn't freely accessible during the game but you can get there when you return after the credits if you take a leap of faith after carefully navigating a precarious path.

(I'll PM you if you desperately want a guide, but working out what to do is the good bit - dealing with decryption crashes less so, there's plenty of clues around this board if you go on a hunt).

I spent a couple of evenings using the game assets to recreate the original Legend of Zelda

Hack ’n’ Slash with Zelda Textures :P

34qkcg0.jpg

Brandon: See, if you don't make this game (right away) the community will. Take that to Tim and he'll have no choice but to approve it.

Hack ’n’ Slash with Zelda Textures :P

34qkcg0.jpg

*applauds* Wow. Now I'm going to have to head back and remake everything before I actually show things off, at least make some more effort with the tiling, I was aiming for a positional tile-for-tile match over aesthetics so it's pretty damn ugly :P

w398i.png

Ooh ooh, what's in here?

2rdi649.png

Eww!

Sign in to follow this