Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RedLeader

HiddenJournal.txt

About HiddenJournal.txt: It is certainly doable within the game. Took me a while but I got it. Love the message.

****** Spoiler Alert! ******

A mild spoiler: I've spent many MANY hours thinking of/trying out a logical key for HiddenJournal.txt. Grabbing a book here. Crash. There. Crash. Only when I decided to get systematic did I find the key.

You also need to flip the switch in the glyph room to be able to read English.

I didn't even see that tucked in the corner!!

I went to Munged\Fonts\ renamed Symbolic.png to Symbolic.old.png and made a "decryption key" with CourierNew_0.png. I put strikes through it so I could tell it was suppose to be encrypted.

Symbolic.png

Symbolic.png.180e2cc451212dcbd1c90511f82

I can confirm 100% that this fixed all of these issues and more that I didn't specify but saw anyway.

Aha. Thanks! I actually had the fix locally but now I see that it fixes a larger class of problems than I originally thought. Watch this: I'm going to push a fix to Steam and it's going to be SO FAST.

Edit: BAM.

Edit2: The problem was that the absence of packages in package.loaded wasn't being persisted properly. In this case, when you made your first savegame, package.loaded.GameState = nil. After talking to the genie for the first time, it became non-nil. After loading, it should have (but did not) become nil again. The package system is one of those nooks-and-crannies that requires a bit of special care when checkpointing.

Edit3: Just fixed the NaN bug; that was a pluto problem.

Wow, I leave get busy for the week and return to see things have moved once more! =D...

This is amazing!

@Nikkelitous: Are the steam builds up-to-date and what does your dev environment look like? Do you just run a decompile on the steam files and start from there? or are you using the humble zip downloads? Just wondering which is more likely to be in date as I'd like to get some to play on this when I can ;)...

I've been using the humble zip. I have both early versions, but I'll probably start using the data files from the steam version and the executables from the humble zip. If they're different.

The executables have changed in the later Steam releases since I think that's where the NaN fix was (at least that's where pluto is which Paul said was involved). I'm just using Steam versions for everything now, don't think humble bundle has had a recent update.

No, there hasn't been an update, but I hate using the steam executable. It's so much slower to start for me.
You don't have to run it via steam, the files under SteamApps still have the usual Run.bat and everything.

I think it is really worth trying to solve this part, it gives the game an extra layer of enjoyment.

It is possible to solve completely in-game, and no need to go through the lua files (although of course this could be interesting in its own right and may save you some trial and error).

I collected below what I believe to be the most helpful hints which were spread throughout this thread on how to solve it. Good luck!

Just a note: there is no hint for what the "key" is in game. There is also no hint in the lua. My advice is to just try what you think is the most efficient way to find the key.

(One further note: all the "keys" are really books from the library.)

Well the key is what is most logically obvious. In a number of ways, really.

It is also, technically speaking, staring you in the face the whole game.

... credits room missing is just an oversight, there's another room that isn't freely accessible during the game but you can get there when you return after the credits if you take a leap of faith after carefully navigating a precarious path.

And, if you're blind as a bat as I am, also:

You also need to flip the switch in the glyph room to be able to read English.

Another small helpful tip is MrKenny's post on how to get rid of all the enemies. This is just o balance out the frustration of the many crashes along the way.

After finally finding the hidden journal, and trying to decrypt it. Game crash. Despite the game update.

Having to kill all the enemies and work through the entire game again just for another attempt... which will most likely result in a crash though... is just fiddly BS that isn't worth it unfortunately.

Apparently the key wasn't the AmnesiaFortnight.png book despite the logo "staring you in the face" the whole game.

Yeah, I think that one hint is more misleading than helpful. The best hint that I can give on selecting the key is to dumb the strategy down as far as you can. In fact if you'd just go to a random room in the library and take a random book with you, you'd have a chance of around 36% for it to work.

I just found and decrypted the HiddenJournal.txt a few minutes ago before posting this. Might I add that this is coming from someone with absolutely piss poor (read: NONE) programming experience.

The key really is simple. I don't want to spoil what it is exactly but the key (pardon the pun) phrase here is 'Key'. Think 'Key' and you've basically found the decryption key.

I'm honestly glad I decrypted the journal too. It was a very heartfelt message and I'm glad that Brandon got to at least create a prototype of something that was dear to him. Well done to you, good sir and to the rest of the Hack n Slash team.

It's not just a matter of finding the key, which is apparently "absolutely so simple. I mean how couldn't you have figured it out by now! What with it staring you in the face, and having over a 36% chance of guessing it right, and even a non-programing person figured it out."

It's just that going through all those octorock rooms again seems unappealingly tedious. And this is just to make an attempt, mind you; as failure will require you to do it again and again, even without the game crash.

The thing is, those rooms were fun to beat the first time. I managed to do the 'slow down' room without using the slowdown, in addition to the normal way. Which was satisfying. But trying to move through it for the 8th time though was not as fun... (my first trip to the library and seeing the gibberish symbols made me back track a few times to see if I had missed something.)

Same thing with the other octo room. That was a great puzzle in lateral thinking. Even with the issue that making really huge fireballs made it sometimes hard to see that the defeated octo's shot rocks in all four directions, so you could get hit and die from something you couldn't see and not understand why you failed sometimes. But after passing that room five or six times I got tired of having to set up those several values again every time. Even after I got to the more efficient method of doing it.

It's like having a slow pushing block puzzle room, in which the blocks reset every time you re-enter/back track the room while you are exploring.

ן agree, it is very tedious. But that’s where MrKenny’s tip comes in handy. Get rid of all the enemies, then the only puzzle you have to go through each time is only the scribe puzzle. All the rooms will just be empty.

It can be difficult, but that is one of the reasons that the reward is so very satisfying. I'd advise you give it another try and really take all the hints to heart.

What is the game flow to find and decrypt HiddenJournal.txt?

So far as I can see, it's:

1. Play entire main game.

2. Get the hidden journal.

3. Go back to library

4. Guess what book you need, probably incorrectly.

5. Go back to decryption room.

6. Put key on pedestal.

7. Attempt to decrypt

8. GAME CRASHES T)$HJRWAREOINGA

9. Goto 1

If I could just restore back to the library, try a different guess, and keep going that way this would be interesting, but as it is, just tell me what the ---- key is.

If I could just restore back to the library, try a different guess, and keep going that way this would be interesting, but as it is, just tell me what the ---- key is.

I gave a bit of a hint that when you read my previous post carefully it would have given you an answer. I've edited my post again to make it a bit more obvious. If you still have no idea what I'm talking about, quote my post and you'll have your answer (to anyone who still wants to figure this out on your own, don't quote my post; massive spoilers).

This:

is the best hint of what the key is, what is, literally, the one thing you look at the entire game?

I like how with this puzzle you guys are giving them multiple contradictory sets of hints - all of which are still correct. Go ahead and follow BoltR or Klink or any others. But probably not too useful to try to work out some common logic thread between them - there is something in common but it's more behind the scenes.

This:

is the best hint of what the key is, what is, literally, the one thing you look at the entire game?

Except it is not.

After finally finding the hidden journal, and trying to decrypt it. Game crash. Despite the game update.

Apparently the key wasn't the AmnesiaFortnight.png book despite the logo "staring you in the face" the whole game.

Following that hint was misleading and will lead to a game crash, causing you to have to go through the entire process again. Apparently the file I was suppose to get was the lua. From the hints other people are giving, it leads me to believe there may in fact be several books that would be valid for the decryption key. Though many of the people giving hints may think there is only one because it was the one that worked for them, so that they believe that their guess is the 'obvious' one.

From the hints other people are giving, it leads me to believe there may in fact be several books that would be valid for the decryption key.

Yup. Only the first 16 bytes of the file is used for the decryption (AES-128 only supports a key length of 16 bytes), so any file which starts with the correct 16 bytes will work. I counted to 81 different files (of 190) which can all be used to decrypt the message.

I realise I am late to the party on this one, but I loved the concept of this game and decoding the hidden text is a brilliant easter egg. Thanks for sharing.

I do agree that finding it independently will help, but the most important piece of advice is that you want a lua book, not a png book.

Fingers crossed we see more hack n slash. In fairness the world is already so functional that just to iterate and create more world based on what is there would be amazing.

Sign in to follow this