Sign in to follow this  
granderojo

Some thoughts about Black Lake

I got a real Deathless by Catherynne Valente vibe from the whole Romani folklore aesthetic to the game, and it got me to thinking if this game were to go into full development that there could be a lot of mileage you could get from introducing a Koschei type character which is a catalyst in the novel I mentioned previously. Koschei being the infamous villain in Russian mythology that steals the heroes wife. Basically Bowser from Mario or Ice King from Adventure Time. But instead of Korschei taking the girl, you could have a gender reversal. Have Koschei take the man, in this case her boyfriend.

This would give a goal to why the player is traversing Black Lake, and since this is focused so heavily on gypsy culture, it could be forbidden love relationship between the two. I don't know, I've never really come across that sort of story, and maybe that's because it can't work!

Anyways those are my feelings so far. Really digging this one, the mechanic and gameplay makes it feel like a Doubefine game. There's a lot more game here than you gave yourself credit Levi when you gave the pitch!

The game already has a narrative, though. Her father comes home and drifts into a slumber from which he cannot wake, which is the result of the dark force stirring within the forest and emanating from Black Lake. She is trying to wake her father from his eternal slumber and at the same time help the forest creatures whose dreams are being devoured by bramble foxes and other creatures that have been lost to the darkness.

Of course prototypes are subject to revision in more ways than one, so who knows, but I think what the game has going is pretty cool.

The game already has a narrative, though. Her father comes home and drifts into a slumber from which he cannot wake, which is the result of the dark force stirring within the forest and emanating from Black Lake. She is trying to wake her father from his eternal slumber and at the same time help the forest creatures whose dreams are being devoured by bramble foxes and other creatures that have been lost to the darkness.

Of course prototypes are subject to revision in more ways than one, so who knows, but I think what the game has going is pretty cool.

In the sort of Q&A period when asking was asking the staff what they would like to see from all the games, Black Lake came up and the question of how long the game was asked. Alice in Wonderland idea was pitched of going off to different segments of the forest, and having little side stories, by I think Derek(I can't remember everyone's names, it's the one artist from White Birch team who wears his hat backwards). If anything I was just theorizing a potential direction they could go with what they already had. Basically just leaning more into the Balkan folklore would be great for this game, it's so underrepresented across a lot of mediums, let alone games. That's really something that sets this game apart.

There's a way of taking the established narrative and doing what I talked about. I'm just spit balling ideas, not trying to step on any toes. That said, I totally didn't see the prototype reactions thread, & I should have posted this there.

Make your own game? Just like you made your own new thread about your own thoughts about you reading a book on DF?

It's easy.

Sign in to follow this