Sign in to follow this  
Screwtape

Feedback thread

OK, now I've completed playing through the Hack n' Slash prototype.

When I first heard the pitch for this game, I was a bit dubious about whether you could make such a game without it being ridiculously difficult to comprehend, or making it ridiculously easy (write a script that kills everything on the entire level), so I was curious to see what the developers would come up with. As it turns out, I was very impressed with the second fireball room in the demo - I had a lot of fun figuring out how to take out all those expy-Octoroks without getting hurt. The fact that they release a fireball in each cardinal direction when they die, combined with the fact that you can only throw your USB cable from a cardinal direction, made things rather enjoyably interesting. Well done!

Was not excited by the idea of 'zelda' graphics. Thought it looked rubbish from the videos. Realised how wrong I was when it started it up for the first time. So pretty!

I just beat it as well, now I am trying to get modified code to work, changed some room lua scripts but it made the rooms not playable. Not sure if they need to be in the pedestal or not to actually modify them. I'll keep poking until I get a desired result :P Love the game though. The puzzles were awesome and I love the art. I hope I get to see a full game someday.

If you're digging into the game a bit deeper make sure you don't miss looking into HiddenJournal.txt

Just finished hiddenjournal.txt Brandon Dillon, you made me tear up a little. This has been the most rewarding gaming experience ive had in a good long while.

Yeah some of the other games tried to reach you emotionally, but then Brandon Dillon come along and in a few pages of text...

Hope you understand now why I didn't want to give the solution right away, as Brandon says its nothing secret, but...

Shame that most people probably won't see it, but I'm not sure that's too much of a bad thing.

Yeah, I'm glad i actually went out and found most of it. I'm sure there is some sort of secret to the last part... but i really didn't want to attempt a brute force with every single book in the library. Especially when the price for failing to decrypt is a crash to desktop =\

Yeah I hacked a way that I'd avoid having to replay the whole game back to that point for each attempt. But still 200+ game crashes wouldn't have been fun.

Hi Brandon and team,

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents into the fire.

First of all I wanted to say is that I think the concept is great and I'd love to see this as a full length game.

Now for a bit of feedback, this will be my jumbled thoughts which concern the prototype itself, and possibility for growth to an entire game. Probably some of the stuff here is a repeat of other peoples comments, but I'd like to mention it anyway, if only to reinforce the main points.

1. Yes, this is a niche game, I may be biased, because I consider myself part of that niche, but going forward it may be worth considering how to try and include a broader audience

2. One option is maybe to have scalable levels of difficulty/ambiguity concerning the actions, letting the more "hard-core" hackers wrack there brains but giving a bit more "tutorialed" approach to others

3. The prototype was buggy. I understand that it's a two week job (and a fantastic one at that), but I'm just mentioning this because it tremendously affected my ability to enjoy playing and replaying the game. The crashing bugs, compounded by the fact that they restored to check points (if not crashed altogether) and the inability to save to file became a very frustrating experience.

4. Personally I could have used a bit more guidance, still at his point I'm not entirely sure what are "the game rules", do I need to (or should or can) hack and fiddle with the external game files? I know others were playing with it, but I felt a bit lost regarding the scope. As I said, I'm all for having various levels of hacking depth, but I would like it to be more clearly explained. This along with the crashing bugs, made me give up on the entire part of deciphering codes, at the end, which I'm still uncertain what the exact mechanics are, since I'm not sure where is the line between bug and hint

5. I loved playing around with the various properties, I just think it's important to make sure in the game you don't become "Neo" in two seconds flat

6. The second fireball puzzle was fantastic! I think that's a great balance between seemingly great power, but you still have to think and plan on what to do to get it right (not just going and killing off every guard)

7. I think it's a nice idea having the cord bend angles, but please find a different mechanic, mirrors deflecting usb cable, really? :)

8. An idea, perhaps have different "weapons" which give you different level of access (permissions) to the object's methods and properties

9. Did the rolling action have any purpose in the game?

10. Perhaps have more powerful weapons (or "viruses") which cause specific behavior or action, but limit their power by requiring for example that they must stay attached to the victim for them to take effect (so you can only use them one at a time)

Overall, as I said, I think it's a great concept, and I would like to see it further developed. I do see this a s being a hard "sell" to a publisher, and this is where I think difficulty layering can help, where at the most shallowest it is a puzzle/riddle game, and you can go deeper and deeper depending on how inclined you are to hack at different levels.

Kudos to the entire team for creating this fun experience in just two weeks (it sure is a lot more than I accomplished in the last two weeks).

I can't get to the end of this prototype because it always crashes.

Sign in to follow this