Sign in to follow this  
masquerade

–noun. the state of being completely forgotten or unknown

Well, at Freedom's request I have chosen(?) to make an Oblivion thread. Largely for myself to gain helpful tips considering I am only beginning to scratch the surface of this wonderful/bemusing game. But any banter regarding the game is more than welcome. ;-P

NOTE: SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT.

I would suggest getting the Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mod at http://jorgeoscuro.googlepages.com/. Difficulty scaling is one aspect of this game that I found very stupid. Doesn't make much sense for some bandit you can encounter at the start of the game to eventually be as strong as the player after completing the main storyline. Gear scales too, so there are level requirements before you can even FIND certain items. I mean, I would understand that you might need a predetermined skill requirement to use more advanced items, but them not even being in the game until you reach a certain milestone? Check out the site at least, I would say this mod greatly improves upon some illogical mechanisms and balances everything properly.

Greetings Bosmer!
'

Why would you play Bosmer? Dunmer all the way ;)

Sadly, Bosch, the rest of us do not have machines made by Hephaestus. Thus mods are unavailable to me on the PS3. But I can tolerate the main game 'staples' so to speak, but when it comes to irritating bugs- I begin to grumble.

Riight, I forgot this game was on consoles. By the way it's over two years old, even subpar computers can handle it smoothly with little trouble. Well in any case you have expansions and the downloadable content, even if bugfixes are few and far between.

Yeah I've considered buying it on PC for the mods but I don't know, I'd prefer to save it for something I don't have. I mean Battlefield Bad Company is pretty fun in the demo, and then there's Alone in the Dark and a mess of other titles I want.

Battlefield Heroes is coming out on PC relatively soon. I'm not really sure it'll be good, graphics seem to borrow heavily from TF2 and I would imagine it to play a lot like BF1942 if the screenshots are any indication. If that's the case it could just be a total rehash of that game, not that this is a bad thing. BF1942 was great. The fact that Heroes will be free to play is a bonus incentive. to at least check it out.

But anyway...Oblivion, right.

Is there any means of thieving the Gray Fox's gear without being reprimanded? He is sitting you know where before I have delivered the ring to conclude the heist, but no matter what I try: he always catches me. I have tried chameleon, invisibility: everything I can think of. But as soon as I remove an item from him, it automatically ejects me and he protests. I desperately want his armour. :shut:

As to what weapon I use the most: I have barely used anything but the bow. However, daggers on the occasion that a melee should arise. Which is a bit foolish considering Nords are suited to blunt weapons and heavy armour.

You can't steal from the Gray Fox, I'm pretty sure its scripted that he'll catch you regardless of any variables.

Hmm, is that so? UESP had this listed under "the Ultimate Heist" notes section:

"If the Stranger is sitting in the Anvil castle Great Hall when you arrive to deliver the ring, when you talk to him he acts just like the Gray Fox, telling you that you should be on your way by now, somewhat ruining the surprise. You can pick his pocket at this point to obtain some enchanted leather armor and a short sword as well as a few other trinkets."

Oh you're trying to rob the Stranger, I don't know what you're doing wrong then.

Erm, the Stranger is the Gray Fox. Thus, he is carrying his gear. Hence why he sits there staring at his wife every day and waits there all night until she returns. The reasons were a bit "...you what?", but c'est la vie.

I am on the verge of breaking down into tears over Alawen though. Why must she be absent for so long? Supposedly if she dies my journal is meant to update(however, there may be a bug where it fails to do so); yet, if she is not dead then where the hell is she? I have waited weeks, maybe even a month. Yet everytime I return: her camp is empty. My marksman is at 87 which is so close yet so far. I think characters who you have to actively seek out should at least have some form of routine, or at least grant you the ability to mark them.

That bug has royally screwed me over with that fence. Now I can no longer buy back fenced items, nor sell the more valuable items. :down:

Have you done The Dark Brotherhood yet? If not that's what I recomend.

Nay, yet I think I shall leave it be for a while. I really do not think I can tolerate the annoyances within this game. :zip:

The bug's sting dulls with time masq. And the dark brotherhood, despite its annoyingly dark and cheesy dialog it has some some of the best quests in the game.

Well, at the moment-- it burns like the clap. I can not believe I only needed to use her twice more and I would have had been a master marksman, but now that she is dead I am stuck on 89 for probably the next year. It takes so long to level those last 10 skill points and I was really depending upon her. Why did it have to be her? Marksmanship was the only skill I really cared about :down:

I returned to it earlier this evening and joined the Brotherhood. Someone should have just told me I get a nice set of armour that boosts the stealth and marksmanship skills and I would been sold on the idea ages ago. Also, are the daedra shrines throughout the land linked to the Brotherhood, or is it something else entirely?

The Shivering Isles gatekeeper certainly was rather entertaining. Does it matter which door you go through, aside from the spell you receive? I went through but re-loaded and earlier save, as I wanted to conclude more quests in Cyrrodil first.

Relax, masq. It does take longer to level those last points but as long as you keep using the bow it will happen. Also for archers the sneak skill is pretty important too.

Yeah the daedra are different than than the Dark Brotherhood.

I don't think it matters which door you go through.

PS Nice simile.

Levelling the Sneak skill was rather easy, simply triggering sneak inside the same room as a friendly NPC --upturning or taping the analogue stick down-- and leaving it for just over an hour, gave me sneak. So I am already a master+ the brotherhood/hoods/robes boost it past the cap. Marksman is apparently levelled by .08 with each arrow that connects to a living being. So it was suggested that I use an Iron Bow and Iron Arrows which should allow for swifter levelling.

I returned and triggered some of the quests in order to slay the Gatekeeper, as oppossed to slaying him on my own. But instead of using the special bone-arrows and brining the other hunter with me, I made him wait down the hill and took on the Gatekeeper alone once more, this time with an Iron Bow and Iron Arrows. Which ought to have helped my marksman skill somewhat, considering I used at least 40 arrows. I have still yet to look into the matter of the gates, I am still unsure whether you can only enter one and that is the end of it, or both.

Can someone explain to me how level affects equipment? I went to get Hatred's Soul bow (arguably the best in game); yet upon fetching it, it only had 23 attack. Whereas a FAQ had it listed as 24. Is 24 the highest attack level possible for it, and do I need to only raise one level to up it to 24? And does the fact I have found it at level 23 therefore lock it at 23, or due to the fact I have yet to pick it up- is it still variable?

I would say that it's locked at 23 now, and it would have been 24 if you found it at level 24 and above. Don't quote me on that, though.

Try to stop worrying about all the numbers and just enjoy the game! ;-)

No worries, I have a save right-beforehand anyway. ;-) So I have to be level 24 before it shall have a 24 attack? that seems a bit odd. As I am level 17 at the moment and it had 23 attack(can go to level 19, I just rarely sleep lest it is mandatory)

Heh, I am enjoying the game, just as not as much as I had hoped. I think the lack of a story, variety in the environments and character establishment is proving a bit laklustre. Too much like an MMORPG, in that respect.

I became a vampire in Morrowind. And I ran around everywhere in my underwear and fought as many people as I could. I'd like to pick up Oblivion sometime.

I do enjoy the freedom aspects, yet nothing feels tangible; nothing inspires joy or remorse. It is all a bit un-emotive. Granted, that is not what they sought-- but it is still far too little for me to get really excited about. Nevertheless, as time winds on: my thoughts may change.

Here is hoping Scarecrow can shed some light upon the matter.

My apologies, that last post sounds as though I am being rather harsh upon the game. But I hope you get the idea.

I uncovered the levelling of the bow, I just overlooked the obvious. The Guide I was using stated "Level 19+ for listed stats". The Dark Brotherhood quests really are rather entertaining. Part of me was hoping that this is what the Thieves setup would be like, albeit without the slayings; a secret HQ, where they give you worthwhile rewards and sneaking armour, I mean.

Is there a reason why sometimes I get +2 next to attributes levelling, yet other times I do not? Does it have something to do with whether or not increase one of my major skills which rewards me with bonus points --yet minor-skills do not-- or is something else entirely?

Bonus attributes are incentives for increasing a certain attribute. So if you choose Willpower +3 you'll get an attentional 3 points to your willpower where as if you choose and attribute without a bonus then you only get a +1 increase to that attribute, I don't know if the bonuses are based on your skills or any player input though, I think it might just be random.

And sorry I haven't been on, GTA IV has been stealing all my free time.

Bonus attributes are incentives for increasing a certain attribute. So if you choose Willpower +3 you'll get an attentional 3 points to your willpower where as if you choose and attribute without a bonus then you only get a +1 increase to that attribute, I don't know if the bonuses are based on your skills or any player input though, I think it might just be random.

And sorry I haven't been on, GTA IV has been stealing all my free time.

Thanks for that. Sadly, nightmare of nightmares happened today and I deleted my file. :gulp: I was trying to clean up my saved data utility and free up some space on my PS3, safe to say: my progress went down the pan. My backup file I had used to make a new character and of course: I had failed to make a third back-up. Painful, to say the least. :down:

And yes, it shall do that. ;-P