Sign in to follow this  
Screwtape

Anybody get things running under Wine on Linux?

My home PC runs Linux, and I don't have Windows installed (except in a VM, which isn't so great for running games). When I joined the Amnesia Fortnight... thing, I mostly did it to support Double Fine and to get access to more lovely 2PP videos to watch, and if maybe one of the games wound up working under Wine that would be a lovely bonus. So, I'm curious to see if anybody else has tried running these games under Wine on Linux, and if so, how it went.

For myself, the prototypes based on the Buddha engine (Autonomous, White Birch, Black Lake) all fail completely: I get a black screen, and a dialog box with an OK button whose title-bar reads "Callstack", and that has no text. I haven't tried digging into this, but I don't really know where to look. Wine spits out a warning about the game not using double-buffering, but I don't know if that's actually a problem or just something it likes to complain about.

On the other hand, the prototypes based on the Moai engine (Hack 'n Slash, Spacebase DF-9) work brilliantly. Based on the included "run.bat" file, if I run:

wine Win/Bin/moai-fmod-designer.exe Data/Scripts/config.lua Data/Scripts/main.lua

...the game starts up and, so far as I can tell, works just as it would on native Windows. There's one weird thing where if you switch away from the game, it stops accepting mouse input until you alt-tab away and back, but that's really a very minor thing.

I will try this later. I use Linux for 20 years now. Used Steam with Wine way before the Linux Beta.

Question: Have you installed Winetricks on your Linux box? (and btw, which Linux Kernel version)

I have Winetricks installed, but I'm not entirely sure which tricks I've activated.

I guess I should mention I'm using Debian Wheezy, which comes with Wine 1.5.6.

I have Winetricks installed, but I'm not entirely sure which tricks I've activated.

I guess I should mention I'm using Debian Wheezy, which comes with Wine 1.5.6.

Since the Steam Linux Announcement, I am using their recommended Ubuntu 12.4 LTS 32bit, but I use also the latest kernel and I use WINE and Winetricks with PlayOnLinux to handle my Winetricks (for each game seperate), so I always "install" the appropriate runtimes and win-libraries/DX dlls, instead lengthy commandline entries and reconfiguring setup. I also use the latest branches of the dev-tree repository via PPA (if any of this makes any sense to you - or others, who want to try it on Linux).

Anyway - the three 3D/exe games (Autonomous/BlackLake/WhiteBirch) all come with vcredist2008, vcredist2010, a few DirectX9 libraries and binkw32.dll, as you have probably already seen. These are all installable via Winetricks and are a piece of cake (as in well supported) for WINE these days.

So the hooks for Windows are all layed out. The AF games have been tested on XP, Vista, Win7, Win8, AFAIK. Unless the DF Buddha engine is doing something unusual, they should run from the Windows API calls side of things.

I am sorry, for not being of any help as of yet, but I still have not had time to try this on a Linuxbox (I am at work).

Sadly, we are a scarce species here in these DF forums.

I made a new, empty WINEPREFIX and installed the two Visual Studio redists, then used winetricks to install the "d3dx9" trick (which installs the parts of Direct3D 9 that can be run under Wine). No dice, Autonomous fails as before.

As far as I know, Stacking and Costume Quest both use the Buddha engine, and their AppDB entries basically say 'works first time, every time'. The Costume Quest prototype available on the Humble Bundle site doesn't work, though at least it comes up with a more informative error:

F3xSis.png

Oh, well, never mind. I still had a great time with the two games that I could get working, and the 2PP videos. :)

I was going to ask the same thing (prototypes with Wine), and it pretty much sucks there's no way to get them running... I was really looking forward to play the White Birch prototype.

I was going to ask the same thing (prototypes with Wine), and it pretty much sucks there's no way to get them running... I was really looking forward to play the White Birch prototype.

Whoops looks like I complained too early!

I just updated the Wine on my Fedora (wine-1.5.17) and White Birch starts fine now! Wine automatically prompted me to install Mono, which it did by itself, and the game started. It just froze a couple of seconds while in the game but that's a different issue I'll investigate later ;-)

I'll try the other games and let you know if they work fine as well.

Whoops looks like I complained too early!

I just updated the Wine on my Fedora (wine-1.5.17) and White Birch starts fine now! Wine automatically prompted me to install Mono, which it did by itself, and the game started. It just froze a couple of seconds while in the game but that's a different issue I'll investigate later ;-)

I'll try the other games and let you know if they work fine as well.

All the games work fine for me, except for Hack'n Slash (which I was not interested in anyway, so not much of a loss at least for me hehe). The games do have some glitches and controls issue, which I'm not sure are related to the demo nature of the prototypes or possible small incompatibilities with wine. Nevertheless, great work!!

I forgot about this thread completely.

Tested all 5 AF prototypes on:

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32bit

Ubuntu 12.10 64bit

Linux Mint 14 (Nadia)

Knoppix 7.0

AMD/ATI and NVIDIA cards (both, integrated onboard and dedicated graphics; plus proprietary and open source drivers).

They are all running!

Most surprisingly to me, on the "old" Knoppix Live** distro with vanilla Wine (without Winetricks or even custom setup), I was able to run Buddha-Engine games (Autonomous, Black Lake, White Birch).

Screenshotfrom2013-01-12112538_zps27023bbb.png

Screenshotfrom2013-01-12112103_zps6cb06841.png

Screenshotfrom2013-01-12112617_zps84dbe585.png

af-blacklake-linux-01_zps17be9de2.jpg

af-blacklake-linux-02_zps3f822520.jpg

I already posted about SpaceBase 9 and Hack'n'Slash running.

Too bad, the AF prototypes are not accessible via Linux Steam Client. But, hey ... at least Psychonauts is showing up on Linux Steam :D!

Screenshot-2_zps140ac93f.png

Screenshot-3_zpsa788d3d7.png

hacknslash-linux_zpsb5ece8d0.jpg

** (for the non-Linux users, who stumbled over this thread, wondering - a "Linux Live" Distro=Distribution is a CD/DVD or SD-Card or USB-thumbdrive with a pre-installed and pre-configured Operating System on it, which runs without having to install anything on 'your' computer). You put the CD or thumbdrive in your PC, boot from that medium and voila - you can haz Linux running on your Mac or Windows, (surfing the Internet more securely) without fear of deleting anything on your precious harddrives. This trick is now around 10 years old.)

I realise this is a linux thread but just in case anyone doesn't want to go bootcamp on their mac - I used crossover mac to install windows steam and then install the games from there - only tried out white birch so far, seemed to work ok - just hadn't finished the doco's yet and didn't want to ruin it :)

I've been googling madly and still can't interpret what this error message is trying to tell me. Any ideas?

~/.wine/drive_c$ wine AfSpace/Win/Bin/moai-fmod-designer.exe Data\Scripts\config.lua Data\Scripts\main.lua

fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0

err:dc:CreateDCW no driver found for L":0"

freeglut (C:\AfSpace\Win\Bin\moai-fmod-designer.exe): fghInitialize: CreateDC failed, Screen size info may be incorrect

This is quite likely caused by a bad '-display' parameter

fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot

fixme:toolhelp:Heap32ListFirst : stub

debug harness: Unable to connect socket to requested endpoint! [socket error 10061]

Also puzzling,

~/.wine/drive_c$ wine AfAuto/Launcher.exe fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100

err:module:import_dll Library d3dx9_43.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\AfAuto\\Auto.exe") not found

err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\AfAuto\\Auto.exe" failed, status c0000135

but

~/.wine/drive_c$ find . -iname "*.dll" | grep d3dx9_43

./windows/system32/d3dx9_43.dll

Thanks for any help

Sign in to follow this