Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hectate

Missing star background

I was having trouble playing Spacebase last night because the starry background image didn't display. It was impossible to see if there were any asteroids (black on black) nearby and finding derelicts was only possible because I could see people's heads. I kept running out of matter before I could really do anything. I presumed it was just an issue with my screen brightness/glare but after seeing a couple of screenshots today with actual stars in the background I realized it just wasn't there at all.

Anyone else having this problem?

I was having trouble playing Spacebase last night because the starry background image didn't display. It was impossible to see if there were any asteroids (black on black) nearby and finding derelicts was only possible because I could see people's heads. I kept running out of matter before I could really do anything. I presumed it was just an issue with my screen brightness/glare but after seeing a couple of screenshots today with actual stars in the background I realized it just wasn't there at all.

Anyone else having this problem?

I wonder if maybe your zip didn't extract fully? Try to delete the install and re-extract.

I also have a white background.

I'm currently on a 2008 laptop but it runs FTL, retro city rampage, hotline miami, and the hack+slash prototype without issue.

I redownloaded the game and installed in a different folder. Same problem.

Looking in the backgrounds folder, the backgrounds.png file is divided into four - three space backgrounds and a big white field. I tried copying a starfield over the blank area and that didn't work.

I can't see meteors either, if you're supposed to, so gameplay is basically possible except in short order everyone dies in a meteor-related accident, occasionally followed by shipwide depression.

Actually my background was solid black, not white. That said, I've not yet had the opportunity to re-install and look it over since this post.

Very strange on the blank backgrounds. Can both of you try installing the Steam version (now that it's out)? The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps your cards don't support 4096x4096 textures (the space BG is the only one that large in the game).

Very strange on the blank backgrounds. Can both of you try installing the Steam version (now that it's out)? The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps your cards don't support 4096x4096 textures (the space BG is the only one that large in the game).

I tried it via Steam download, but on a different computer, and I got the white background that time. I've still not gone back and tried it on the original laptop again though.

I tried it via Steam download, but on a different computer, and I got the white background that time. I've still not gone back and tried it on the original laptop again though.

Strange indeed. What OS and video card are you using?

Sign in to follow this