Sign in to follow this  
Leonick

Graphical issues with Autonomous, Black Lake and The White Birch

As the title says I'm having some graphical issues with Autonomous, Black Lake and The White Birch, kind of the same issue in all three of them, seem to be the same engine so makes sense.

Basically, a lot of things that shouldn't be are mostly transparent making all three completely unplayable.

Screenshots illustrating the issue:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/732993/af/Auto1.jpg

Assuming this is like a cutscene and there should be a bit more going on?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/732993/af/Auto2.jpg

All parts have been placed for that automaton but only the model of the feet is really visible, the chest and head can be seen but only like a wireframe against the invisible buildings in the background. You can also see that the hands are transparent, if I look up the hands disappear in the same way as the automaton chest and head.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/732993/af/Auto3.jpg

Here is the build automaton walking around with only feet displaying properly, legs are completely missing and the chest and head are the wireframes they were in the last screenshot.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/732993/af/birch1.jpg

Yea... There's no ground except for a few small patches and the character messed up.

(No screenshot from Black Lake since I couldn't get it to run in a window and a screenshot of any of the games running in fullscreen just gives me a black window.)

DirectX is up to date.

Visual C++ Redistributables are installed (got plenty of those 'thanks' to Steam).

Running on Windows 8 Professional x64.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2300.

GPU: Radeon 5770, latest drivers installed.

8GB Ram.

I have rebooted the PC on the odd chance that it would help.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have rebooted the PC on the odd chance that it would help.

Anyone have any ideas?

I would recommend trying the following things:

- disabling / reducing hardware accelaration in you ATI control panel

- try right-clicking the .exe (or.bat), select properties and switch to the tab compatibility. Test out Win 7 and / or Vista.

if that doesn't help my next step would be to deinstall and re-install your graphics drivers, but not the newest!

Had similar issues about three times now with games. They would not run properly with the newest driver.

Let me know if any of these steps help.

Anyone have any ideas?

That looks like you have multisample antialiasing (MSAA) forced on. Go to your GPU's control page and be sure that "Use Application Settings" is checked everywhere, and you aren't forcing MSAA on. For an AMD card, you can find those settings by right-clicking on your desktop, selecting Catalyst Control Center, and looking at your 3D settings.

Thanks for the screenshots-- based on those, I'm almost certain that the driver is forcing MSAA on, and our engine is incompatible with MSAA.

Good to know! I've seen that graphical glitch before but I've never realised it's MSAA.

Thanks for the screenshots-- based on those, I'm almost certain that the driver is forcing MSAA on, and our engine is incompatible with MSAA.

Yea, that was it... Somehow the "Use application settings" box for AA had been un-ticked in Catalysts 3D settings, wonder why that changed on its own.

Thanks.

I'm also having issues with the graphics for Black Lake. I'm only running on a laptop that's almost 3 years old. So I don't have anything fancy at all. I'm having serious lag issues with some of the games, but that's obviously just issues with my laptop not being powerful enough, so I don't think I"ll be able to get them fixed.

For Black Lake all of the 3D graphics come out in a horrific bright green hue (see attached screenshot). It kind of looks like a negative of an old film photo or something and it really trips me out. I've seen other people's screenshots of the game and they look beautiful. I simply can't bear playing the game when it looks so horrible and I can't really tell what's going on properly either!

I've tried as many of the suggestions above as possible: making sure I have the most up to date versions of everything (e.g Direct X), finding the graphics settings and making sure everything was set to "use application settings". I can't find anywhere to turn MSAA off, but I suspect my laptop isn't actually capable of that in the first place and my issue seems a bit different to the above.

So..... Is this the universe telling me I need a new computer or can anyone suggest something I might need to install/update/change?

BlackLakeGraphicsError.jpg

BlackLakeGraphicsError.jpg.a072df673b907

Hmmm..... Do the other prototypes render correctly, but Black Lake doesn't? That screenshot does indeed look like something other than the MSAA setting. Black Lake's renderer is different from the other prototypes because we changed the deferred renderer to use four multiple render targets.

Of course, your best bet is to be sure that you are using the latest drivers for you graphics chip. Sounds like you already checked that, but the screenshot you posted does look like a driver issue.

Could you tell me what graphics chip is in your laptop? If you are using Steam, you can find out with Help... System Information. Another way to find out is to run Microsoft's dxdiag tool, or look in your device manager page. Some of the older Intel integrated graphics chips support only one render target, which isn't going to be sufficient for Black Lake.

The other prototypes render correctly, but are somewhat slow.

According to dxdiag, the chip I've got is an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD (Core i5). I went to the Intel site to double check I had the latest drivers and found the following info:

Product Detected Intel® HD Graphics

Current Driver Installed 8.15.10.2040

A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

So it looks like I won't be able to get any better drivers. So it probably means that my graphics chip just can't render the game properly.

Thanks so much for your help, but I guess it's looking like there's not really a solution for my current laptop. Will need to seriously look into upgrading since I want to play Black Lake!

Looks like you have a HD Graphics 2000/3000/4000 depending on which i5 model you have, they support multiple render targets but they don't have the bandwidth for more than 4. Uninstall your graphics driver and download one straight from Intel's site to update it. It's unlikely you'd be able to run Black Lake, White Birch, or Autonomous at comfortable frame rates on any mobile i5 integrated GPU, it was never designed to run most games released 2009 onwards. I have desktop and notebook version of the i5 with HD Graphics 3000, and they hardly run anything, but these prototypes aren't nearly as optimised as a full game would be.

Thank you so much for the help. In the end I've just resorted to borrowing another laptop and things looks awesome on that!

Sign in to follow this