Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JordanHavoc

Help with diseases

I have no idea how to stop the spread of Space Dysentery and Space Syphilis. I just get a message saying that one of my passengers got it, and then they die instantly, and soon after that everyone else starts dying and I can't stop it :/ Help?

Do you have enough doctors and infirmaries? If you do, then I have no idea :)

The feedback systems in the game could use a bit of work (though I know the team is aware of that already). Still, I'm really enjoying the game, mysteries aside.

The feedback systems in the game could use a bit of work (though I know the team is aware of that already). Still, I'm really enjoying the game, mysteries aside.

Yep. That's pretty much it. The AI right now can only "search" so far from themselves to find a good infirmary, so if you have just one and it's very far away, sick people may not know to go to it. Having each zone type scattered throughout your base is a good way to make sure everyone is fed, rested, healthy, building, etc.

Yep. That's pretty much it. The AI right now can only "search" so far from themselves to find a good infirmary, so if you have just one and it's very far away, sick people may not know to go to it. Having each zone type scattered throughout your base is a good way to make sure everyone is fed, rested, healthy, building, etc.

I´ve got the same problem, though the ill person died exactly in the room next to the infirmary Oo

The AI right now can only "search" so far from themselves ...

Oh man... I thought that was the case, but it's good to know for sure. Just a suggestion, for the full game could you put something in there to mitigate this to some degree? Like, citizens would only be instantly aware of something very close to them, but if they needed something else badly enough, they would search for it (and their morale would decrease the longer they had to search to find it). I like the limited awareness feature a lot, and it makes a lot of sense, but without a way of the citizens finding their way to things, or you as a player directing them to places, it can be very difficult to expand your base over long distances. I basically had to implement a scorched earth policy of de-zoning areas, luring the citizens out of them by switching their jobs and zoning new areas close to them, then sealing off the old areas with walls to get them into the part of the base that I was expanding so they'd notice the construction projects I laid out for them. If the docking space ships idea were implemented, this could be mitigated because the expansion of the base would always be accompanied by more people to fill the new sections, I suppose.

Anyway, love the prototype, and I'm sure if you had a full production cycle you could finesse this issue with some sort of clever gameplay system.

Thanks for the feedback/info.

Maybe in addition to potted plants, the player could be allowed to place orientation signs? Which would of course open up the possibility to point them in the wrong direction just for lulz. :-)

It would be super cool to be able to paint lines on the floor telling people how to get to places, Half-Life style.

Or even if you could assign work sites/living quarters for the employees, which could allow for more possibilities for players to manage/improve character's morale. If a citizen hates their roommate, or has to walk too far for work, players could take meaningful actions to improve their situation. Though, this might be a bit too hands on for this sort of game. Still, some kind of option would be nice...

Sign in to follow this