Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Krono

Game does not start on Win8

This is all I get when I try to run the game via Steam or the download.

pvXCL.jpg?2

I was getting some pop up errors from Windows SmartScreen, but those stopped happening, and I always clicked allow.

This is all I get when I try to run the game via Steam or the download.

pvXCL.jpg?2

I was getting some pop up errors from Windows SmartScreen, but those stopped happening, and I always clicked allow.

I've got Windows 8 Pro 64 bit and it runs fine for me.

Maybe try installing some of the MSVC and directX runtimes under the Redist folder. Don't know missing them if that would cause an straight game crash though. Also I thought the Steam version is meant to do a better job with that stuff then the standalone so might not make any difference. Not sure what else to try.

Maybe try installing some of the MSVC and directX runtimes under the Redist folder. Don't know missing them if that would cause an straight game crash though. Also I thought the Steam version is meant to do a better job with that stuff then the standalone so might not make any difference. Not sure what else to try.

Yes, that is a good first step. Please try that and let us know if you still have problems. You might also want to make sure your Win 8 graphics drivers have reasonably decent support for OpenGL.

The DirectX and MSVC redists installed fine, and my 4850s OpenGL support is fine. Still can't get it to work, and the event log for the crash is not very helpful at all.

EventData 

moai-fmod-designer.exe 

50cbae44 

unknown 

c0000005 

83c 

01cddf18c0a4b8db 

D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Hack n Slash Prototype\Win\Bin\moai-fmod-designer.exe 

unknown 

01414d9b-4b0c-11e2-be66-00261849e9ff 

But now I've run into an issue where the room after the wall of fire octoroks doesn't load. I walk to the stairs, and nothing happens, I just walk off the map.

Sign in to follow this