Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Kinect Party in Australia & New Zealand

Hey Aussies and Kiwis!

We are really sorry that Kinect Party isn't available where you are. Apparently there was some kind of snag with the game's Microsoft certification process in those regions, which has resulted in an unexpected delay. Microsoft says that the game should become available in early 2013 as soon as their certification process resumes normal post-holiday operation and the game can go through the normal channels.

Until then, please accept our apologies! We're really happy that you're excited about the game, and really bummed that you can't play it yet!

Here's a full list of territories that do currently have the game:

Americas:

Argentina

Canada

Chile

Colombia

Mexico

United States

Europe:

Austria

Belgium

Czech Republic

Denmark

Finland

France

Germany

Greece

Hungary

Republic of Ireland

Italy

Netherlands

Norway

Poland

Portugal

Russia

Slovakia

Spain

Sweden

Switzerland

United Kingdom

Middle East and Africa:

Israel

Saudi Arabia

Turkey

United Arab Emirates

Asia and Oceania:

India

Singapore

The promotion and pricing structure is entirely under Microsoft's control - and we haven't been told what the plan is for the promotion when it does release in New Zealand and Australia. BUT we'll be pushing as hard as we can to make sure you guys get the best deal possible! And I'll report back here when I start getting more details. I'm so sorry not to have anything more concrete for you yet. We were super bummed that it's not coming out in time for the holidays there :(

Don't feel too bad, as an Australian I'm used to getting screwed when it comes to game releases and pricing, and I know that very rarely are such things in the hands of the developer.

Ahhh - it bums me out that this type of thing happens so often to you guys! And while you're right - releases and pricing are generally out of our control - we'll do everything we can to take care of you guys down there.

Living in Australia I thought I would miss out on the free Kinect party fun.. however luckily my American cousin was visiting. He created a new Xbox account on my Australian Xbox (using his new Hotmail address he had just made), and changed his location from Australia to USA during the final step of account creation (since, you know, he resides in the US.. and totally not in Australia). This gave him access to the US store and he was able to download the game (since.. you know.. he's American and all). I am also able to play the game now using my OZ account.

Now I wouldn't say that Australians should just do this themselves or that Double Fine should recommend it, as I'm sure it's against some Microsoft rule or something, all I'm saying is how lucky I am to have an American cousin visiting me at the moment.

Does this affect Double Fine Happy Action Theatre at all?

I bought a Microsoft points card so my niece could have the game for her birthday tomorrow. Last week Double Fine Happy Action Theatre was on the store at 800 points. Today it's not there at all, only the trailer and the demo. Help me!

Can anyone else see the game on the store page?

Why do Microsoft have to make things so freaking difficult? :(

Edit: is Kinect Party supposed to be free if you download it this year? One of my friends linked me to a thread about how you can download the full game or something? But, Kinect Party is the sequel, and it's not even available here. It's not supposed to even have DFHAT content is it? So why would if effect it? I'm so confused.

Edit edit: Good GRIEF this miscorsoft support person is useless. She's telling me that DFHAT has never been released. :rolleyes:

Wow spacebug - what a mess. :(

First of all, let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I don't think I would have been able to come up with a way to get you the game by the 24th, but I realize that it would have been useful to have some idea about what might be going on. Here's what I think happened:

Because Kinect Party contains all of the Happy Action Theater channels, now that Kinect Party is out, Microsoft likely pulled Happy Action Theater from the marketplace so that people would be directed toward Kinect Party instead (since it's a superset of all 36 of the channels).

So that's all fine and well, except for the important detail you pointed out which is that Kinect Party is not available at all in Australia until early next year. I'm going to see if I can get you a code to DFHAT which will likely still work, even though the game isn't available on the marketplace store.

Please apologize to your niece from us at Double Fine! We love the fact that you thought of giving here the gift of Happy Action Theater, and hope she enjoys it when we sort this out!

No problem re: not getting back sooner. I expected that over Christmas you guys would all be at home enjoying yourselves. I hope you had a good break!

My Sister-in-law loaded the demo for now, and they've all been having a blast with that (I suspect maybe my sister-in-law has been having the most fun, apparently she spent a couple of hours "checking it out" the night before :D)

I didn't realise Kinect Party would contain the DFHAT stuff, I thought they were separate. I guess the points I got them can be spent on KP instead, when it comes out here in a week or so. :) I was just so very confused - thanks for the answers!

Just heard about this - yeah, that's a real bummer that I can't get it in Australia - hopefully there is some kind of special offer when it does launch...

Hey Spacebug - yeah, I'd definitely recommend having them pick up Kinect Party with the points you'd earmarked for DFHAT. That'll be the best of both worlds. And I'm glad that they're at least able to have some fun with the demo in the meantime!

One small caveat: After Microsoft returns from the holiday break, they'll put the Australia build into certification. That shouldn't take more than a couple days which means it *should* be out in the first week or two of 2013, however unexpected delays have happened before (which is exactly why it isn't out already!). When I have a concrete release date, or any other info on its progress, I'll post here.

@Weeksy, I agree - the delay of the KP release down there is annoying enough, but when mixed with the holiday promotion it really rubs salt in the wound! After the holidays we'll be working with Microsoft to try and come up with a good solution. It's largely in Microsoft's hands at this point, so I can't promise anything, but we really want to take care of you guys.

Happy new year!

When I have a concrete release date, or any other info on its progress, I'll post here.

Great, looking forward to it!

I see you guys have finally joined the rest of the planet in 2013 ;) Hope it's a good one!

I too had the issue (in NZ) that we couldn't download Kinect Party... So I signed up for a XBox Live account in the US using a different email, and was able to download it.

We got a XBox for christmas and Happy Action Theater came highly regarded and well worth the money I spent on it... Then when I saw the free version of Kinect Party I thought it was a great option.

Shame that those of us in NZ/AU couldn't get the free version unless they signed up for a US account... But should be great to see... :)

Gotta say the kids *LOVE* it... They just go nuts :)

I signed up for a XBox Live account in the US using a different email, and was able to download it.

I'm glad you were able to work around the delay!! And doubley glad the kids are enjoying it :D

Have we any more news on this? I missed the boat for the free US version and I have two very impatient kids hounding me constantly.

Hi Deano! Just heard from Microsoft on this yesterday: they say we're "going into certification early next week." Once that happens it should go straight through and then end up on the marketplace quickly because it's virtually the same build that's been released elsewhere.

I really wish things were moving along faster - but it shouldn't be long now. I'll keep you posted!

Sorry guys, this progress is so frustratingly slow! I've contacted Microsoft for an update and they'll hopefully get back to us soon. But so far, no news :(

We'll continue to do everything within our indie powers to keep the pressure on them and get it through cert as quickly as possible!!

I just checked now in NZ and it's still not available. :(

Have a few friends of mine who missed out during the christmas giveaway in NZ and are feeling the pain.

Showed a friend of mine with a PS3 and he loved it.... Dubstep. Just loving it. Thinking of taking it down to a party I am having next weekend and using it for interactive visuals up on the projector.

Well you guys - I'll admit it I'm frustrated! I was actually told a likely concrete release date, but kept it to myself in case things didn't work out. Lo and behold they did not (it was last week).

I've contacted MS again for a status update. I feel like a seriously broken record at this point, I'm sorry guys, I really, really, really hope it comes out soon!

@Bar, If you do hook it up to a projector feel free to share the video with us. I'll show the team, they'll love it. :)

What is it that's holding them up? Is it getting the game rated or something like that?

Sucks to be you, caught in the middle of this :(

The game has actually already been rated and is completely ready to go. It's just a matter of getting it through their certification process, and while I know that can be challenging for a new title, this one is virtually identical to the already shipped title. Short version is it really should be out! :P

I understand why it might be hard to get it through Microsoft's certification process, after all it's hard work making sure the game works when the Kinect and players are all upside down.

This is getting ridiculous. What do these people do all day, if it takes almost three months to, what, fill out a form and sign it?

Anyone mind if I march into Microsoft and actually start gluing people to the ceiling?...I'm not hearing any objections!...

Anyone mind if I march into Microsoft and actually start gluing people to the ceiling?...I'm not hearing any objections!...

Nope. The good news is that gluing people to the ceiling is easy, because they're full of hot air.

Sign in to follow this