Sign in to follow this  
theubersmurf

You'd be remiss not to consider more than one of these for development

In all seriousness. I think I'd buy any of the the games from this amnesia fortnight should you decide to make any given game. That isn't to say I didn't have favorites, but I liked all of them. I'm not sure if that's me or if other people feel similarly, so I posted a poll.

Wish I could update the title of the poll to begin with an "Are," RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Black Lake? Definitely.

Hack 'n' Slash? Almost definitely.

White Birch? Strong maybe.

Autonomous? Strong maybe.

Not so sure about Spacebase. Not a fan of those types of games, though I like the humor.

Black Lake? Definitely.

Hack 'n' Slash? Almost definitely.

White Birch? Strong maybe.

Autonomous? Strong maybe.

Not so sure about Spacebase. Not a fan of those types of games, though I like the humor.

Sure, qualify them if you want, I'm all for it.

I want to recant that comment. I love them all, and meant my original statement that I'd buy any of them.

Here is my take on it:

Haven't played Autonomous or Hack'n'Slash yet.

White Birch is the kind of game I'd buy by default.

Black Cauldron was the game I really wanted to get made. It's not your typical everyday game and it bears the unique double fine signature. Please make it into a "AAA" game, not a "budget game". That said, I am not a huge fan of the artstyle for the main character, she looks too much like Raz. Give us something new and unique please. Of course this is maybe just me. Especially I don't like that football shaped face, never liked it on Raz. Looks evil to me, like Stewie Griffin.

I was skeptical about Spacebase DF-9 as that is what I call a "timewasting game", but I actually liked it a lot and would certainly play it.

Like Middle Manager of justice has great humor, great characters and great writing, but I don't like the gameplay, and getting where you want to go wastes a lot of my time, so I stopped playing it.

Black Lake would need a new pitch, detailing what type of gameplay will be added, puzzles, exploration, crafting, stealth, musical combat, something because right now the prototype is walk for about 5 mins, press two keys, end. Graphically and artistically the game looks great, and the senses thing is a cool concept that's not used in any meaningful way. Controls are great on both gamepad and mouse, really enjoyed that, quality work. This game with expanded gameplay could definitely be a hit, probably the most likely to be funded by a publisher.

Space Base, and it pains me because it's one I voted for, I don't think is going anywhere. I'm not much of a sim player, I just bought DK2 in the GOG sale, I played the original Settlers, also a lot of SimCity 2000 when they were released, the game didn't really show me anything interesting. I just built some corridors, placed some areas, repaired some walls, waited for the AI to bug out. Aren't there quite a few Facebook, Android, and iOS games like this?

Hack ‘n’ Slash, I don't like Zelda games so the references are completely lost on me. Probably the best looking game of this type I've ever seen. The gameplay is already excellent. Probably wouldn't cost a lot to fund. I'd be surprised if nothing happens with this, as long as the developers involved believe in it.

Autonomous, I would already buy it in its current state, it's near enough a full game in its current state. The performance isn't optimized, and the AI pathing is a bit buggy. The interface is a bit difficult and unintuitive, and removing parts as you build is bugged (I have to aim higher than I ought to), so that would put a lot of people off if they don't give the game time or have the initiative to learn on their own. Would this game ever get funded by a publisher? How could you sell it to a publisher?

White Birch is a mess. Over use of cutscenes. Bad animation. Bad controls. Terrible puzzles. Horrific camera. Some of my favourite games are 3D platformers, so out of all the games this should be the most interesting for me. It's meant to be influenced by Ico, which I've only seen videos of, that game also has a horrific camera and bad animation (if anything Ico's animation quality is worse than White Birch's, and in some places the camera is worse). Sands of Time developers also cite Ico as a strong influence, that game has segments with that horrific camera, but also the good parts of Ico: the AI co-op, puzzles, platforming are very similar in Sands of Time (some of the AI co-op segments and cliff platforming are exactly the same).

Prototypes are meant to be used to learn from, and I doubt any of the prototypes would be made the same way if they had to be done a second time, and that's the point of them. So it's hard to say whether I'd buy them if they were developed into full games or even what the full games would be like.

I would have bought Black Lake in its current state!

I'm not so enthusiastic about the others though.

Autonomous as it is now is a lot of walking around looking for parts and struggling to get your bots to do what you want, which isn't very fun to be honest. It looks promising though, and with a year or two of development I can really see it turning into a great game.

Space Base might turn out to be a good game for other people, but it's not the game for me. I'm not too big into the world building/resource mining genre. I don't even like Minecraft.

White Birch left me with a sour taste in my mouth. If they fixed up the controls and puzzles it could turn out to be pretty good, but I don't think it will ever be as good as those games the devs name-dropped that it was inspired by, or even Double-Fine's previous 3D platformer (I'd rather just see a sequel to Psychonauts)

And I was most excited for Hack n' Slash during the game jam, and it was the one I was most disappointed by. The concept of hacking the game to solve puzzles was really appealing to me. But it was less of a hacking game and more of a Zelda clone with hacking-themed items. If that's what it would turn out to be, then I'd rather just play Zelda.

I find some people's comments across the forum a little schizophrenic.

"It's not a fun game! Oh, but it's a prototype. But why isn't it more fun?! It's just a prototype, though, I guess."

Some of them were certainly more playable than others, but some of them had more complex systems than others. In the case of the white birch, the platforming was not commercial quality because there wasn't enough time to tune. There were a lot of cutscenes, but it was explicitly explained in the videos that part of the reason for that was to paper over things that would take much longer to do in-game. You know DF can do platforming just fine. See Psychonauts. This is not a problem. As for SBDF9, it was always going to have trouble making it very far because of the complexity of the systems running in the background. It can take many, many lines of code just to make the stupidest, simplest little things happen in a game. I'm personally very impressed at how much SBDF9 DID manage to get done.

In the early drafts of the original Star Wars film, Luke Skywalker was a sixty year old man (and a general!), and Han Solo was a green alien with gills. Imagine if the script had been judged by what it was rather than where it was going.

Prototype: judge by what it is pointing to, not by what it is.

I find some people's comments across the forum a little schizophrenic.

"It's not a fun game! Oh, but it's a prototype. But why isn't it more fun?! It's just a prototype, though, I guess."

Some of them were certainly more playable than others, but some of them had more complex systems than others. In the case of the white birch, the platforming was not commercial quality because there wasn't enough time to tune. There were a lot of cutscenes, but it was explicitly explained in the videos that part of the reason for that was to paper over things that would take much longer to do in-game. You know DF can do platforming just fine. See Psychonauts. This is not a problem. As for SBDF9, it was always going to have trouble making it very far because of the complexity of the systems running in the background. It can take many, many lines of code just to make the stupidest, simplest little things happen in a game. I'm personally very impressed at how much SBDF9 DID manage to get done.

In the early drafts of the original Star Wars film, Luke Skywalker was a sixty year old man (and a general!), and Han Solo was a green alien with gills. Imagine if the script had been judged by what it was rather than where it was going.

Prototype: judge by what it is pointing to, not by what it is.

I have to agree with you on that one, people seemed to judge them compared to a full release product rather than allowing the game to be unfinished a, well, prototype. And again I agree with you about the white birch in particular, knowing that platforming mechanics need to be polished made it seem weird that so many were so critical about...a prototype. Something people need to keep in context.

It occurs to me that there is another solution, which is to put them up on kickstarter and see which ones get funded and which don't. As a subsequent suggestion, don't put them all out at once since some of us are going to want to buy more than one, and piling on a bunch all at once is going to make me, well, poorer.

Hack ‘n’ Slash, Autonomous, and White Birch, you can see where they're going. Black Lake and Spacebase, not at all, there's a lot that needs to be done in terms of core gameplay. Not taking into account its a prototype is wrong, but looking at prototypes like dream eyed fan boys is worse, I can't judge the full games I haven't played them. Prototypes aren't for seeing things as how they'll be, they're about seeing what works and what doesn't.

Psychonauts is evidence that DF can't do platforming just fine. In terms of platforming it's no where near as competent or as polished as other games. It wasn't just a platformer, it has a variety of different types of gameplay. If Psychonauts had to get by on its platforming alone it would not have been good. Would the Psychonauts team even be making it?

There's no way the cutscenes in White Birch are going to be replaced with gameplay, they're clearly not gameplay replacements. Why would they even spend time prototyping cutscenes? With prototypes you can just cut to the next part, or make a bridge that tilts stable after someone dies on it. I think the bad camera is more a design decision, not when it cuts on the bridge, but the rest of it.

Black Lake feels like the demo of a full game, and you could basically just add onto it and I'd happily buy it. I think the mood's great and there's a lot of potential there for an interesting experience. I love the art and the mechanics, I'd like to just see more things to do - more trails to follow and clues to find, and I'd love to just spend time in that world because it's like a beautiful dark fairy tale that reminds me of Pan's Labyrinth.

White Birch is firmly in the category of "pretty, but what's new?" It's beautiful, atmospheric and engaging, but I think it lacks a gameplay hook that it'd need to be something I paid for. I didn't have a problem with the animation, but the camera did have problems. I don't think it carves as much of a niche as some of the others - a lot of indie games go the atmospheric platformer route, but in terms of what it set out to achieve, I think it worked.

Autonomous is interesting, but from what I've played it hasn't quite clicked to me. I'd definitely like to see the time taken to expand on the concept and maybe make it a bit more intuitive (I still have no idea how AI programming works) but like Black Lake, it's a concept with a huge amount of potential. It's definitely something I'll need to sit down and play some more of, it's just kind of opaque to me right now.

Spacebase DF9 is a game I think just doesn't prototype well. There simply aren't enough systems interacting yet to see really interesting emergent gameplay ant it just felt like I was waiting for my crew members to die slowly. There's some awesome moments already, like when I found a small station where all but one of the crew were dead, then the survivor murdered the guy who found him. There's potential of course, but it didn't really feel like it translated into a lot of fun just yet.

Hack 'n' Slash is the kind of game that appeals to me greatly. I love the idea of it, I love the aesthetic, I love the mechanics. It was however, very unstable for me, and I had a hard time finishing it, but discovering quirks in the coding that solved puzzles and looking through the source books was great fun. I think the biggest hurdle to overcome is the fact each enemy takes about 10 seconds to deal with and the solution is almost always the same. I'd like to see enemies that say, required passwords to hack, or used global variables so you couldn't just affect one. It'd feel like an interesting exercise of how obscure you can make the code, versus how good the player gets at understanding and manipulating it. There's just so much cool stuff you could do with the concept that the game only hinted at, that I'm definitely able to say that of all the games in the bundle, I'd like to buy it the most. I'd throw money at it right now if I thought it'd do any good.

Black Lake is a definite buy.

White Birch looked great, and with time to clean it up it would play great, so a definite buy.

Autonomous looked awesome, but the gameplay didn't interest me, so a maybe.

And the other two games weren't very interesting to me :(

Hack n' Slash seems like an easy pitch. Would fit into a niche amongst indie games quite nicely and would be relatively cheap to make.

Hack n' Slash seems like an easy pitch. Would fit into a niche amongst indie games quite nicely and would be relatively cheap to make.
I think Hack & Slash is such a novel/creative concept, as long as they don't bungle the execution, that it's pretty sure-fire.

Spacebase? Almost definitely.

Black Lake? Strong maybe.

Hack ‘n’ Slash? Strong maybe.

White Birch? Doubtful.

Autonomous? Maybe.

I would have loved to hear more form the team leads about the future direction of the game at the end of the process. I think it's interesting how programmers seem to come at game ideas with gameplay in mind and artists seem to come at it from setting+mood.

Really excited about the potential of Spacebase. Especially if focus becomes emergent stories, rather than base building. Of course the base building foundation had to be in place and that has come far along in the prototype. More love needs to go to the AI and emergent story part in any further development. Players need to build base and give jobs, but should be doing stuff targeted a little more directly at affecting inhabitants goals and emotional state. I think this would be a complex project.

Black Lake was beautiful and interesting. It was hard to see exactly which direction gameplay would take in further development. For me, just wandering around isn't enough. Levi seemed to know that something would have to happen.

Hack n' Slash is a really interesting idea. Hard to turn into a balanced game, while fully releasing the power of hacking. Would love to see where it could go.

Not a huge fan of 3D platformers. Psychonauts is one of the few games with 3D platform elements that I enjoyed. Batman games er other examples with 3D platform elements. They have to contain more than simple environment puzzling for my taste. White Birch is just not my type of game with the direction it seems to have taken so far.

Autonomous needs a purpose, but it looks great. I think building robots is only really interesting, if the robots is going to serve a more specialized purpose. This is another nice prototype, where it's hard for me to say if I'll like it, because the gameplay has a long way to go before it's ready. If done right, then this could be really cool I think, but gameplay needs more thought.

So a week from this thread's having been posted, breaking it down into an admittedly vague terms of relatively likely versus tepid/unlikely (top half vs. bottom half of the options)...94% are interested in more than one of these games. But I suspect that's the reason for the poll at humblebundle.com anyway. Happy Christmas, Merry New Year.

Still an interesting thread in here. We don't get to see the Humble Bundle replies.

I would definitely buy White Birch and Black Lake given the chance. Already like the initial style and ambiance of their prototypes, so I'd love to see the direction they could take it with more polish. Hack N Slash is another likely one; wasn't sure what to think of the pitch, but after seeing what the idea actually entailed I think there's entertainment value there.

I've always been terrible with sims, so I'm not as sure about Space Base, but if there was more unique Double Fine aspects done with it I'd still look into it. Autonomous could go either way really. There are interesting visuals and potential construction exploration, but I'm not sure what the whole game would entail.

Sign in to follow this