Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Free screening of "Minecraft: The Story of Mojang" right here, Sunday the 23rd!

Just starting this now, super excited. I hope the stream buffer doesn't cut out before I've finished!

I've never played Minecraft before. Never seemed like my kind of game. But I watched the movie and loved it. Bought the DVD. You guys do great work, thank you.

Still won't play Minecraft though.

Amazing documentary. It's amazing to see so many peoples reaction to the game was similar to my own. It was the first time in years where I was truly in awe of what was in front of me. Minecraft represents infinite creativity, it is just short of a blank page to which a player can write anything they want. I was also surprised to see what everyone has done with it, that computer was crazy!

Thank you for the screening. Prepare to take my money.

Amazing documentary. It's amazing to see so many peoples reaction to the game was similar to my own. It was the first time in years where I was truly in awe of what was in front of me. Minecraft represents infinite creativity, it is just short of a blank page to which a player can write anything they want. I was also surprised to see what everyone has done with it, that computer was crazy!

Thank you for the screening. Prepare to take my money.

And kudos to you for the Miyazaki avatar. ;)

I really enjoyed that :)

Liked your treatment of the 4th Wall, too. Notch attempted to smash it by acknowledging the camera, so you converted it - via the magic of editing - into a semi-permeable membrane.

That was great. With Indie Game: The Movie, and now this, and the DFA documentary episodes too, this has been one hell of a year for game development documentaries. I realized something while watching too - something I guess I sort of already knew, but didn't completely have sorted. 1.) Minecraft is the most important game of the decade at least. It's influence will be as profound and enduring as Super Mario or Tetris. 2.) Minecraft is a cultural phenomenon for gaming that will likely not be equaled for a long long time, if ever. I suppose Pac-Man sort had similar impact (there were popular songs about it and everything) but even that was really nothing like Minecraft. Great work, again. You guys should be really proud.

Thanks for the screening, 2PP. Even though I don't play Minecraft, the doc was very entertaining. Amazing work as always. I hope this movie is a big success for you guys!

Nearly 2 hours of Mojang patting itself on the back. Got pretty tedious after a while to be honest.

I'm sorry, I love 2pp's Reds doc and season 1 of PA:The Series, but I just did not enjoy this. It just feels like a bunch of self-congratulatory talk with nothing else happening. The only part I liked is when the little girl said she wished people would shut up about Minecraft.

But I don't even like Minecraft, so I may be a little biased.

Nearly 2 hours of Mojang patting itself on the back. Got pretty tedious after a while to be honest.

I'm sorry, I love 2pp's Reds doc and season 1 of PA:The Series, but I just did not enjoy this. It just feels like a bunch of self-congratulatory talk with nothing else happening. The only part I liked is when the little girl said she wished people would shut up about Minecraft.

How, exactly, was it "Mojang patting itself on the back"? Are you saying that 2PP was somehow covering this in a biased manner? I can understand someone not enjoying the documentary, but I don't get the particular complaint. This is coverage of an independent game development success story. I wish there had been documentary crews on-hand at other such occasions for posterity's sake (oh for an as-it-happened Infocom documentary).

How, exactly, was it "Mojang patting itself on the back"? Are you saying that 2PP was somehow covering this in a biased manner? I can understand someone not enjoying the documentary, but I don't get the particular complaint. This is coverage of an independent game development success story. I wish there had been documentary crews on-hand at other such occasions for posterity's sake (oh for an as-it-happened Infocom documentary).

Minecraft is a success-story. Came from nowhere and sold more than anything like it ever have and got higher rating than AAA-games with huge teams and huge budgets.

The doc is documenting a success-story. It is patting-on-back by design. Because it's a huge success inarguably, in almost the most epics proportions. It innovated, it opened new doors, it sold great, it was critically acclaimed, it was audience acclaimed. Yeah, there was alot of back-patting but i'm not sure you could do it any other way.

Minecraft is a success-story. Came from nowhere and sold more than anything like it ever have and got higher rating than AAA-games with huge teams and huge budgets.

The doc is documenting a success-story. It is patting-on-back by design. Because it's a huge success inarguably, in almost the most epics proportions. It innovated, it opened new doors, it sold great, it was critically acclaimed, it was audience acclaimed. Yeah, there was alot of back-patting but i'm not sure you could do it any other way.

While it's a very well made documentary by 2PP, and the subject is a real amazing success story, the movie doesn't have a story arc. There is no conflict. It starts with unexpected success and spends and hour and a half reveling in it, but you don't get a sense of much change. Maybe they could have focused a bit more on what it meant to Mojang to move from alpha to beta to release, and the decision for Notch to move on from developing it, and the possible pitfalls of following up that success.

Something I am really enjoying with the Reds episodes is the conflict. There is a lot of struggling with finding the right concept, getting the team to understand Tim's vision for the game to technical hurdles causing the planned release to be pushed back and running out of money... There is a lot more to draw the viewer into the Reds story.

My troll senses are tingling, but moving on. I have never played or really have any drive to play MINECRAFT but I really enjoyed this doc. They did a great job documenting a big event in the gaming culture.

Like Cygnus2122, I've never played Minecraft and I don't see myself ever playing it, but I thought this was an excellent documentary. There was never a dull moment and the documentary kept my interest for the whole two hours.

For someone like me, with little insight into what the game is about, it was interesting to see what Minecraft is and how it came to be.

Something that amazes me is just how much has been created by the community outside of the game. That's something I knew a little about but I wasn't aware that the following was that big so I'm glad that was a part of the documentary.

I will for sure recommend this movie to both players of Minecraft but also to people who don't play it.

Good job, 2pp!

narcissism, etc

haha, what the hell is this? For someone who is a genius market analyst, this is kind of a ridiculous manner/place to be marketing one's ability to be pretentious.

Caboose: IS IT?! OR IS IT SO RIDICULOUS THAT IT IS THE MOST RIDICULOUSLY PERFECT IDEA THAT YOU NEVER EVEN THOUGHT OF?

Tucker: No, just the regular kind of ridiculous.

Just finished watching it.

I really enjoy the human element you include in your work (both this and the DFA episodes).

I also like that the tone is more uplifting and inspiring, and not dramatic just for the sake of it.

I also enjoy the more cinematic, scenic clips (sort of like what you did in the DFA episode that featured Peter Chan showing you around his place).

It's really nice having you guys around to film DFA. It'll be fun when other (non-backer) people will be able to see it. (I also love how there's footage of Tim goofing off in the Minecraft doc, heh.)

Thanks for letting us watch the Minecraft documentary. :)

PS. How can we stay up-to-date with news from 2 Player Productions after DFA? I want to be in the loop for any future Kickstarter (or other) projects you guys do.

I 'm not a huge fan of Minecraft (played it for a month or so), but this docu was still well worth the watch. The only person that I felt had a trickle of pretentiousness was Peter Molyneux, but since I've been a huge fan of his games for 2 decades I can't really blame him. It's nice to hear he feels he's got 'one more' game in him, would be nice if he actually got inspired by Minecraft and did something fresh & bold.

Anyway, good job 2PP. Open, honest developers and the lack of unnecessary drama/hype on your end makes this a joy to watch.

Bought it to support 2PP, because I like their work and because game documentaries usually are interesting.

I agree with those that say that the Documentary was too self congratulatory.

There’s nothing wrong with that per-se but the problem is for someone like me who keeps up with industry news the documentary comes of as pointless.

It does have the effect of making you want to play/buy Minecraft, which makes it feel like an extended advertisement, which was probably the intent. In that sense it suffers from what the industry suffers from today in general… The need to be accessible.

In order to be accessible to people who haven’t heard of Minecraft before (people living under rocks) or have no idea about gaming, it deals with things we have been bombarded with from gaming sites since Notch first let the Alpha into the wild, and misses a lot of depth. I’d love to hear more insight on the legal battle with Bethesda for example or anything adjacent to the Minecraft success.

I already got Minecraft for $10 back at the Alpha but I could never get into it, if I had to put blocks together I rather do Lego’s in real life, but I always liked the game in concept and respect it for being one of the few indie games that actually pushed the envelope instead imitating something form a bygone era.

There is such a thing as overexposure, I think Minecraft may be suffering from it, most of us gamers are tired of hearing about it by now, and we just want to move on.

Do not look at the above as criticism but more like an observation, I only got to watch the Documentary because 2PP was kind enough to post it here, I wouldn’t have otherwise watched it, and I don’t tend to complain for free stuff.

brilliant!

watched the first 15 minutes here, then bought it.

it is so incredibly important that someone is documenting this.

how much would you pay to watch 21-year old Woz making Apple I in his garage?

Love how you managed to capture all the sides of the story and effects that Minecraft caused on the industry.

Well worth the wait <3

Bought it to support 2PP, because I like their work and because game documentaries usually are interesting.

Ditto. I want 2PP to keep doing their thing. After the DF series of videos, I plan to support their future projects.

MEANWHILE

Dwarf Fortress barely gets a fraction of Minecraft's recognition, and its developer barely scrapes by on donations.

There is no justice in this world.

Sign in to follow this