Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Episode 7, Amnesia Fortnight, and (gasp!) the Minecraft Movie?!

Personally I'm more anxiously awaiting the final Amnesia Fortnight episode(s) (The documentary was supposed to be a twelf parter, right?). I want them to make me enthused to buy the Amnesia Fortnight box. ;)

Personally I'm more anxiously awaiting the final Amnesia Fortnight episode(s) (The documentary was supposed to be a twelf parter, right?). I want them to make me enthused to buy the Amnesia Fortnight box. ;)

Yep, the final AF episode is still coming!

Don't bump these old threads please, I almost thought Ep8 was out. Also 2PP said, it's coming around at the end of Feb, all the footage was already shot around the 7th I think.

don't be bossy, please. He has equal right to post where he wants, guy

I watched this video again... after already watching it 3 or 4 times. The current first word emanating through my brain is 'noobs'! The second word is 'clever'. I am a PM that has worked on multi-million dollar projects with 'loose' scope; I am Scrum/Agile certified so reside unfazed by these particular challenges. But the third word is 'drama'. This story has an unpleasant reality that has been exposed and overly amplified to instill fear and doubt. The business end of the, er, business... Will DF overcome? Damn right they will. In any case, this all makes for a great story.

My love for Tim Shafer and his team from top to bottom allows me to look past the 2P Productions story and read between the lines. At the end of 'this' story there will be a great game for me and my kids, a grand amount of acclaim, some very valuable IP which I will have contributed to, and a story that will most likely motivate others to take an important leap. Oorah <-- Look up this word.

I am and will always be a Double Fine fan!

Alert>

P.S. DF Greg; use your feet. The rolling around in a chair diminishes your 'coolness'. I know what you do... and it demands usage of your feet. :)

A thought occurred to me while watching the video. I backed at the $15 amount because at the time there seemed to be more then enough money to make the game (it was around $1 mil or so and the pitch only said $400,000) and I didn't want any of the rewards. However, if the total goal had been $4mil, I would have been willing to chip in more. Potentially before cutting too much out of the game, offer a chance to additional donations? (I wouldn't be buying any of the old games as I've already owned/played them all, I'd rather donate straight to this game). I'm really excited about the game and would also like it to be as awesome as possible and I'm sure many other people feel that way. On the off chance you do decide to add a donations thing, please put a notice in one of the videos as I (and many others I'm sure) rarely come to the forums.

I definitely agree, though I also agree with all the people saying that maybe the constraints are for the best, that they are part of the challenge and that would be interesting to see DF dealing with them. However, donating a little more money does not feel like cheating for me. It seems natural that budget changes appear along the way and, if DF can cover the additional costs without having to recur to a publisher, that would be just as legitimate and faithful to the project as using the backers' money.

A thought occurred to me while watching the video. I backed at the $15 amount because at the time there seemed to be more then enough money to make the game (it was around $1 mil or so and the pitch only said $400,000) and I didn't want any of the rewards. However, if the total goal had been $4mil, I would have been willing to chip in more. Potentially before cutting too much out of the game, offer a chance to additional donations? (I wouldn't be buying any of the old games as I've already owned/played them all, I'd rather donate straight to this game). I'm really excited about the game and would also like it to be as awesome as possible and I'm sure many other people feel that way. On the off chance you do decide to add a donations thing, please put a notice in one of the videos as I (and many others I'm sure) rarely come to the forums.

I definitely agree, though I also agree with all the people saying that maybe the constraints are for the best, that they are part of the challenge and that would be interesting to see DF dealing with them. However, donating a little more money does not feel like cheating for me. It seems natural that budget changes appear along the way and, if DF can cover the additional costs without having to recur to a publisher, that would be just as legitimate and faithful to the project as using the backers' money.

Have you seen this page? It was mentioned in the latest backer update:

http://www.doublefine.com/dfapay

chris what's the official DF stance on opening up previous higher reward tiers (based on remaining stock) for legit backers (slackers optional I guess, to sweeten the deal for early takers - tho I take no issue with opening it up to the other later backers) cos as it was I had to borrow another person's card as I had no paypal at the time, and I'd love to maybe upgrade to the soundtrack, or HD DL/BluRay set, if that's at all possible. at the very least, HD DL keys (via Humble Indie Bundle or similar service) shouldn't be too taxing, and digital soundtracks or even digital concept art jpegs might not be too hard to scrounger together. digitally speaking.

chris what's the official DF stance on opening up previous higher reward tiers (based on remaining stock) for legit backers (slackers optional I guess, to sweeten the deal for early takers - tho I take no issue with opening it up to the other later backers) cos as it was I had to borrow another person's card as I had no paypal at the time, and I'd love to maybe upgrade to the soundtrack, or HD DL/BluRay set, if that's at all possible. at the very least, HD DL keys (via Humble Indie Bundle or similar service) shouldn't be too taxing, and digital soundtracks or even digital concept art jpegs might not be too hard to scrounger together. digitally speaking.

We aren't allowing this unfortunately. Our orders of the merchandise were based on the actual backer count (overstock is very limited, and probably not enough to justify all the extra work it would take to accept new orders etc.).

However, once everything is done and on sale, I'm sure we'll be selling stuff like the soundtrack/documentary as traditional downloadable goods, so you should be all set there.

good to know man, and I can see how shipping etc would be a prohibitive cost that would glean little profit.

I love how budget-minded us fans are on here, shows real maturity of target market in question, since in this industry, where the next Halo being delayed is usually met with widespread whinging, at best, it's kind of a reaction-against-type as it were. Of course, if the complaints about 2PP delays and no set release date are any indication... xP

I have just read the whole thread and when I think of all those positive declerations of backers wanting to donate more money to the project I'm not impressed by the amount of money in the tip-jar. Have people overlooked this opportunity for further backing the project? http://www.doublefine.com/dfapay/

As the rest of the restless backers (try saying that when you're drunk) I'm looking forward for episode 8...

Well, I'm sure many have bought the slacker backer thing for a friend etc. I think it's even preferable for Double Fine if people slacker back instead of just putting that $30 in the tip jar... I would think? Also, the people here in these forums are "just" the most active 1% of all backers.

I have just read the whole thread and when I think of all those positive declerations of backers wanting to donate more money to the project I'm not impressed by the amount of money in the tip-jar. Have people overlooked this opportunity for further backing the project? http://www.doublefine.com/dfapay/

As the rest of the restless backers (try saying that when you're drunk) I'm looking forward for episode 8...

It seems about right to me, but let's maths it out to try to figure out why the donations might be at their current level and also because for some reason I find this kind of thing interesting. :) In a recent poll of forum users, 97 people said 'Yes, I would donate more money to help, regardless of how many other people donated more' and 152 said 'Yes, I would donate more money to help if there was a goal that needed to be reached and I knew my donation would matter'

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say most of the people who are really heavily invested in REDS are forumgoers, and so I think most people who are the sort of backers who might consider putting more money in said so in this poll.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, all 97 people who said they would definitely donate extra have done so. And round it to 100.

Now let's say that about half the people who said they'd donate only if there was a goal decided to donate anyway, because they knew their donation would matter all the same. And let's just make that 75.

So that's 175 donors... now let's suppose that a few people who are interested in tipping missed out, or changed their mind from saying no on that poll and make it an even 200.

Most of these people would have either bought a print, tipped, or both, so let's add the current amounts. That's $6200.

So if 200 people raised 6200 that's an average of $31 per person, which doesn't seem too bad as a ballpark estimate (some would be more because of the print, some would be less).

Of course the number of actual backers is much higher, but you can't expect them to be as invested in the project as the average people talking on this forum, so I think your expectations for more tips were probably born out of a little sampling bias. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_bias)

I think Surplus's estimaion about the current level of tips seems sound and about right.

So what else can be said about it?

Well, although the Tip Jar was mentioned in the "Project Update # 16" email to all backers, it was mostly phrased (and headlined) as a notification on the Reds print, with the comment that "All proceeds directly benefit the Reds project. You can even pitch in a few extra bucks if you want to..." seeming almost as a side note. I'm guessing they wanted to play it quite low-key. As Chris has mentioned, the Tip Jar was mainly the result of forum suggestions rather than a specific DF initiative. Either way you slice it, it wasn't exactly a giant, fanfare-backed announement with fire-breathing dragons and belly dancers cavorting around a sign that says "TIP JAR IS HERE. PLEASE HELP".

Given what Surplus said, plus the fact that Update emails that don't contain new documentary episodes will naturally receive less attention from the broad backer base, plus the above mentioned subtlety of the message i said email, I'm hardly surprised at the current levels of, er, tippage.

So, might we expect a link to the tip jar prominently displayed in the upcoming DFA documentary episode? Hard to say, given that we don't know if or how the financial situation was handled since the previous episode, and given the low-key way the tip jar was mentioned in the latest email update.

I think Surplus's estimaion about the current level of tips seems sound and about right.

So what else can be said about it?

Well, although the Tip Jar was mentioned in the "Project Update # 16" email to all backers, it was mostly phrased (and headlined) as a notification on the Reds print, with the comment that "All proceeds directly benefit the Reds project. You can even pitch in a few extra bucks if you want to..." seeming almost as a side note. I'm guessing they wanted to play it quite low-key. As Chris has mentioned, the Tip Jar was mainly the result of forum suggestions rather than a specific DF initiative. Either way you slice it, it wasn't exactly a giant, fanfare-backed announement with fire-breathing dragons and belly dancers cavorting around a sign that says "TIP JAR IS HERE. PLEASE HELP".

Given what Surplus said, plus the fact that Update emails that don't contain new documentary episodes will naturally receive less attention from the broad backer base, plus the above mentioned subtlety of the message i said email, I'm hardly surprised at the current levels of, er, tippage.

So, might we expect a link to the tip jar prominently displayed in the upcoming DFA documentary episode? Hard to say, given that we don't know if or how the financial situation was handled since the previous episode, and given the low-key way the tip jar was mentioned in the latest email update.

It could attract a few people to the tip jar. Not sure it would attract many though. Whenever I read something from a backer who isn't a forum regular, or talk to someone who is a backer, it seems to be that they're just not as interested in the project. They backed, and maybe watch the doc sometimes, but are hardly going to throw more money in. A surprising number thought The Cave was the kickstarter game. Sometimes someone wanders onto the forum asking where their game is because of the due date mentioned on the Kickstarter page. These clearly aren't people who are following the day to day development enough to care about giving more money. I wonder how many people there are left that

a) Care enough about the project to even consider giving more money

b) Can afford to give more money

c) Would, in the end actually give more money but

d) haven't heard that they can give more money.

I'm guessing the number is limited, and if they really want more, they'll have to do it by offering more things.

It could attract a few people to the tip jar. Not sure it would attract many though. Whenever I read something from a backer who isn't a forum regular, or talk to someone who is a backer, it seems to be that they're just not as interested in the project. They backed, and maybe watch the doc sometimes, but are hardly going to throw more money in. A surprising number thought The Cave was the kickstarter game. Sometimes someone wanders onto the forum asking where their game is because of the due date mentioned on the Kickstarter page. These clearly aren't people who are following the day to day development enough to care about giving more money.

Yes, i took notice of that too. All in all, it is an interesting example of how a potential disconnect (albeit innocent) can occur between a minority of highly interested backers who are vocal on the forum and the larger, quieter, backer number that in the end provided a vast amount of the funds used to build the game.

I'm guessing the number is limited, and if they really want more, they'll have to do it by offering more things.

Now that could be a possible middle way between a strict "tip jar" approach and keeping their pledge not to make available the exclusive things from the higher kickstarter tiers: completely new and separate offerings - of which the Reds print was one, technically, but I'm thinking of somewhat more advanced offerings. Then again, they would have to get into the whole cost-of-production-and-logistics end of things, and I'm getting the impression they'd like to steer clear of that for the time being.

It could attract a few people to the tip jar. Not sure it would attract many though. Whenever I read something from a backer who isn't a forum regular, or talk to someone who is a backer, it seems to be that they're just not as interested in the project. They backed, and maybe watch the doc sometimes, but are hardly going to throw more money in. A surprising number thought The Cave was the kickstarter game. Sometimes someone wanders onto the forum asking where their game is because of the due date mentioned on the Kickstarter page. These clearly aren't people who are following the day to day development enough to care about giving more money.

Yes, i took notice of that too. All in all, it is an interesting example of how a potential disconnect (albeit innocent) can occur between a minority of highly interested backers who are vocal on the forum and the larger, quieter, backer number that in the end provided a vast amount of the funds used to build the game.

Now that could be a possible middle way between a strict "tip jar" approach and keeping their pledge not to make available the exclusive things from the higher kickstarter tiers: completely new and separate offerings - of which the Reds print was one, technically, but I'm thinking of somewhat more advanced offerings. Then again, they would have to get into the whole cost-of-production-and-logistics end of things, and I'm getting the impression they'd like to steer clear of that for the time being.

It's sort of an interesting example of how unrepresentative the most vocal people are can be of people in general. That's why I'm always a little bit skeptical of polls on the forum about whether the game should be some way or another. The people here might be the super fans, but we have no idea whether what they want is going to be the same thing that will satisfy the general audience. But I digress...

But yes, I agree, they're probably reluctant to add too many new rewards because of logistics, and it being much less of a sure bet that they will pay for themselves, now, than it was when publicity during the kickstarter was at a high. And I guess also because it feels a bit like cheating to say 'the kickstarter rewards are still exclusive... but here's a bunch of substitute rewards!' Doesn't bother me but I guess I can see how it'd rub a few people the wrong way.

I hate being a negative nanny and I really do love DF and 2PP, but please attempt to stay on schedule once you've announced one, it's my only connection to this community right now, as I believe that the best decisions are left to those who fondle it best (ie, make an effin' cool game).

The episodes allow me to peer into a company that I never knew existed before the kickstarter, to he honest I thought Tim and Ron ended up where most celebrities end up... Drinking homebrews under the Golden Gate, lamenting about their most glorious past. I now know different and am enamored with Double Fine. Now I can peek in and compare your developers, artists and secretaries against mine! Don't take that away from me... Or is it some sort of conspiracy to get us all hooked and somehow inflate your stats based on website visits per day due to the suspense created by promising and not really sticking to giving us what we hooked nobodies need?

I need a hit. I need another Episode. Is anyone listening?

(Blame, conspiracy theory and substance abuse.. check)

I hate being a negative nanny and I really do love DF and 2PP, but please attempt to stay on schedule once you've announced one, it's my only connection to this community right now, as I believe that the best decisions are left to those who fondle it best (ie, make an effin' cool game).

The episodes allow me to peer into a company that I never knew existed before the kickstarter, to he honest I thought Tim and Ron ended up where most celebrities end up... Drinking homebrews under the Golden Gate, lamenting about their most glorious past. I now know different and am enamored with Double Fine. Now I can peek in and compare your developers, artists and secretaries against mine! Don't take that away from me... Or is it some sort of conspiracy to get us all hooked and somehow inflate your stats based on website visits per day due to the suspense created by promising and not really sticking to giving us what we hooked nobodies need?

I need a hit. I need another Episode. Is anyone listening?

(Blame, conspiracy theory and substance abuse.. check)

I could use a hit, too. I am also waiting for the final Amnesia Fortnight vid. Since I bought the package, will I be notified of the release via email? Or do I need to lurk here in the forums?

Since I bought the package, will I be notified of the release via email? Or do I need to lurk here in the forums?

You should be noticed through e-mail if you pledged through the Kickstarter campaign.

Hey guys, I don't have the ability to update the official Doc Status post from this account, but I just wanted to address something about episode 8 real quick:

First, sorry to have missed the initial release projection. It's a fluid process and we needed to wait for a certain event to take place before we could tie up the episode in a meaningful way. We just wrapped shooting a little over two weeks ago and the episode has been cut. It's currently being color corrected and having its audio mixed this weekend. Typically, these are the last two things we do just before an episode airs so an update should be coming very soon. For what it's worth, this installment is nearly 40 minutes long and covers a lot of ground. We think it will have been worth the wait. Thanks for understanding. Back to color correcting I go.

Thanks, for the update! I know a lot of us are going a little stir crazy waiting for episode 8 after the big cliff hanger in 7. Sounds like it's going to be worth the wait. More than anything I think people on this forum just want to be in the loop about where the documentary is at. Thanks again.

Can't wait for the new update, thanks for keeping us posted!

Thanks for the update. A short concise post like this one goes a long way to reassure people, if only it had come out sooner, but better late than never.

Now let the drum roll for the next Episode *rolls drums*.

Thanks for the update. A short concise post like this one goes a long way to reassure people, if only it had come out sooner, but better late than never.

This.

I think a lot of the anxiety that's been in this thread could easily be defused or avoided all together by more short updates like that one. Honestly if they're more frequent, they could be even shorter than that. Like a single sentence.

It'd be great if somehow there could be a current episode status tracker, with a single word for the state of the episode (i.e. "Filming" or "Editing") along with an ETA. Just a super basic thing that the crew could update on a daily or semi-daily basis so people would have something to look to for the state of the current episode. This would probably be too much work, but it'd be nice to have something like that to reference.

At the end of the day I hope the 2pp people realize that the main reason so many people are impatient is that the doc has been so fantastic so far that it's really difficult to wait for new episodes.

Looking forward to episode 8!

Hey guys, I don't have the ability to update the official Doc Status post from this account, but I just wanted to address something about episode 8 real quick:

First, sorry to have missed the initial release projection. It's a fluid process and we needed to wait for a certain event to take place before we could tie up the episode in a meaningful way. We just wrapped shooting a little over two weeks ago and the episode has been cut. It's currently being color corrected and having its audio mixed this weekend. Typically, these are the last two things we do just before an episode airs so an update should be coming very soon. For what it's worth, this installment is nearly 40 minutes long and covers a lot of ground. We think it will have been worth the wait. Thanks for understanding. Back to color correcting I go.

yaaaaaay :P

*edit* first post, couldn't contain my excitement. Sorry.

Now let the drum roll for the next Episode *rolls drums*.

Agreed.

Great news! A short post like that goes a long way to calm people, just like Arenegeth pointed out. I know you guys are busy but when everything goes quiet for months people obviously start to pull their pants and hair in frustration.

Sign in to follow this