Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Episode 7, Amnesia Fortnight, and (gasp!) the Minecraft Movie?!

I've decided all my christmas gifts for my friends will be Double Fine games. I've already made sure all my Steam buddies got Psychonauts -- if Costume Quest or Stacking go on sale they'll be getting those, too.

If there's any other way we can help fund the studio so that you can achieve the dream of a completely independently crafted game, let us know. Maybe a way to jack up our donation?

Maybe my favourite episode so far. Despite all the worrying undertones, I actually thought this one was a lot more optimistic than the last two. Before it seemed like problems or potential problems were piling up, and now action's being taken to solve them. It's great stuff.

Also I don't know why slacker backers are capped at $30. If someone wants to give more money, why stop them?

Basically every game ever that has a set budget goes through something like this during development, so an episode like this was more or less inevitable. It's just how game development goes; You start big, then trim it down to something more manageable to work within the budget and schedule.

It's really fun getting to see the meaty bits of REDs' development, though. This is the sort of stuff I was really looking forward to with the documentary.

Even though it seems grim at times I find these episodes very inspiring to see how you guys handle the planning and figure out what the best course of action is. Best of luck reds team.

Oh and Tim, the 3 inches of blood t-shirt was awesome. Reminded me that I need to go back and listen to some Forest King and Goat Riders Horde.

This is how the sausage gets made.

It may not be pretty, but this, partially, what I paid to see. I hope it all works out and we get an amazing game but, frankly, I already feel like I've gotten my money's worth from these videos.

Best wishes to the Reds team and all of the backers this holiday season.

Too much politeness, not enough real talk! My goodness, you people! Is it because of the cameras?

I'm glad Bagel is FINALLY getting into the major conceptual design position, you can tell that he thrives with freedom in order to work efficiently, whereas the opposite is true for some of the other members. As a backer, I can tell you that I want Bagel's CONCEPTS much more than his RENDERING. Without exaggeration, to me the project was doomed until that was sorted out.

I can't see the video for some reason.

Neither can I. I watched all the others with no problem, but this one just gives me an error, and I've tried three different browsers.

Thank you thank you thank you for showing this episode. I'm sure it there was a debate to do so. I think it gives an open look behind the scenes of a development studio. Working in the software industry myself, I know how hard it is to make deadlines, especially with scope creep. Not to mention the financials around publishing software.

With all the game kickstarters that have been successful I believe most will struggle to make their set deadline. Hopefully by showing this video it will make people understand what it takes to run software projects.

A thought occurred to me while watching the video. I backed at the $15 amount because at the time there seemed to be more then enough money to make the game (it was around $1 mil or so and the pitch only said $400,000) and I didn't want any of the rewards. However, if the total goal had been $4mil, I would have been willing to chip in more. Potentially before cutting too much out of the game, offer a chance to additional donations? (I wouldn't be buying any of the old games as I've already owned/played them all, I'd rather donate straight to this game). I'm really excited about the game and would also like it to be as awesome as possible and I'm sure many other people feel that way. On the off chance you do decide to add a donations thing, please put a notice in one of the videos as I (and many others I'm sure) rarely come to the forums.

I fully agree with pshipman7 - DF was my first Kickstarter project that I backed. Seeing how well the project was going I only pledged $100. Seeing that the project might be "somewhat" in jeopardy, I wouldnt mind helping out some more. Obviously you need to still go through some de-scoping and maybe postpone the release date, but if any additional pledges could help - I'm on-board..

The Kickstarter was put up without a full design and project schedule and thus had no budget estimate. Instead it was like, let's get the budget we can and make what we can in that time. I knew this going into it so I'm not at all surprised. I backed because I trust Double Fine. Sausage making can be gross but oh so tasty in the end.

I can't see the video for some reason.

Neither can I. I watched all the others with no problem, but this one just gives me an error, and I've tried three different browsers.

:( i wish someone would get back to us. Today...we're brothers...

Another great, albeit depressing episode.

At 5:00 Anna has a 2HB blanket/rug, you should sell them! Also, I'd happily give you guys a bit more money for DFA, should I just do it via the Slacker Backer payment?

Definitely a very interesting episode.

I have the same issues on a daily basis with IT projects. Interesting to hear though that you are staring a 25% over budget set of accounts in the face.

Everybody hits a trade-off somewhere in a project, it's always about making the smart decisions rather those that save money short term. Ultimately there is a need to reduce scope to minimise any slip on schedule. Stating the obvious but moving the release date out costs more money (pay and rations) and you will likely face another aggressive re-scope late in development if it's not done right first time!

Sounds like some hard decisions may need to be made (including telling people they can't swap roles now as it will lose efficiencies).

Another approach - this is a crowd-funded game, so why not try crowd-sourcing a solution?

I'm so glad you chose to show the reality of the situation, it makes for a much more interesting documentary. And after following Amnesia Fortnight I feel like I know the team more, so now I care even more about the project. It's a great time to be a Double Fine fan :)

How possible is it to increase the money I have put into this?

Regardless of how normal this is I would have no problem donating more funds.

“Tim: I can't do this, Greg.

Greg: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Schafer. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Schafer, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Tim: What are we holding onto, Greg?

Greg: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Schafer... and it's worth making a game for.”

Why not do another kickstarter? The reason this idea could work is because a few games have already done it and made a lot more then they wanted.

The two I can think of are

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kontrabida/rival-threads-last-class-heroes-the-final-push

and

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-kickstart-part-2-the-pc-mac-space-adv?ref=live

I would so give money for a t-shirt!.

Once again - best episode so far! I love the cinematic approach 2PP is taking. I know some people have complained that there isn't enough nitty-gritty actual development in this series, but that's not what I want from something like this. To me this is like a good scripted show, but only with real people. I want the big tension and drama. The day to day workings was fine for AF, but this has a larger scope, and I want to see the story unfold rather than the work flow.

I also like the solution of increasing the budget rather than decreasing the scope. I think decreasing the scope would be a catastrophe and could end up hurting DF enormeously. So get the "biz guy" working overtime! You could do some special events to gather money, as long as you plan them carefully so it doesn't seem like you are whining, going back to the Kickstarter well for more cash.

Greg: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Schafer. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Schafer, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Greg: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Schafer... and it's worth making a game for.”

timbaggins_greggamgee.png

I haven't had a chance to watch yet, but this almost sounds like a necessary thing for the backers to learn about. The frustrations, roadblocks, and unexpected (or expected) budget concerns.

To Double Fine:

If you're going through hell, keep going!

Loads and loads of riches will be waiting for you when the game is complete.

And to 2PP:

This documentary has been world-class. In my opinion it has set a game changing standard for coverage of game development.

To everyone:

Go get some sleep and recharge your batteries!

timbaggins_greggamgee.png

<3

Wow that last shot of erasing the board and putting the team picture up was incredibly sad. :'(

I'm not worried though. I think that Double Fine has faced way worse situations before with their past games (Psychonauts) and that Tim, Greg, and the team have more than enough experience to finish the project.

Excellent video again! Thanks! And I gotta say I'd happily put up more for DF Adventure. I've already gotten more out of it than any other project I've backed.

Paul: After the slight delays and also the rustling of the schedule due to AF I've totally lost track of /when/ this episode actually took place. Was episode 7 content mostly from November, or was it as far as back as October? Sorry if it's mentioned somewhere and I've missed it.

Sign in to follow this