Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Episode 7, Amnesia Fortnight, and (gasp!) the Minecraft Movie?!

It's so weird watching this series now after the Amnesia Fortnight. All the time, I'm like "Oh there's Levi!" "and Anna!" "and Mr. Hack n' Slash Brandon!" "Ooh, I forgot Lee wasn't all about Autonomous" .

When before it was just "Okay, that's Tim." and "That one is probably Greg".

Thanks, it's more interesting, if a bit weirder this way. Because I don't really know any of you guys.

Great episode. This is what game development is all about. The brutal hard facts. Sure, fun is a huge part of it, but making games is blood, sweat, tears and budget breaking. I'm confident in Reds team and I believe in Tim's vision. Reds team, remember...take your time. Make the game amazing. There's no ATVI/EA/etc. standing behind you with a huge bat. I'm sure everyone who pledged money wants to see a great game and can wait a couple of more months for it. I know I will. Take your time folks.

Paul: After the slight delays and also the rustling of the schedule due to AF I've totally lost track of /when/ this episode actually took place. Was episode 7 content mostly from November, or was it as far as back as October? Sorry if it's mentioned somewhere and I've missed it.

Pretty sure this is October-November, since mid-November switched over to AF stuff and it's been that way since. The team is back on REDs but it's still holiday time for the most part.

@Programmers: Would you mind sharing a tip of how you manage to make a character appear whether infront or behind of other objects depending on the current position? Wintermute for example uses floor regions and whatever object finds itself in this region, its rendering order becomes the same as the region's (e.g. "behind desk" region)!. Would you mind saying more or less of what you are doing?

@MajusArts You are awesome!

@Nathan Stapley Go get some sleep!NOW! (also awesome)

@Tim You voice calms me, it is very relaxing

@2Player Productions The ending credits on the whiteboard was a very nice touch!

@Game Project Meetings I just realized you are as much boring as any other project meeting!

Loved that episode. Probably my favorite so far. Good job on the storytelling front, 2PP.

What I'd like to see now is DF cutting the game down to size so it fits within the budget. I'd honestly be much happier with a well polished 2-hour game than a scrambled 20-hour game. I also find that adding more money (whatever the source) would undermine the spirit of the enterprise. I think a completely crowd funded game would gain you a stronger footing in the indie community than a mere crowd aided game. If you care about these things.

On a lighter note: I loved that "make that crash optional" line. Classic Schafer. And Oliver's adorkable inability to just roll with the joke was cute, too. I have a love/hate relationship with that German dorkiness. Thank you for hiring dorky Germans and integrating them as if they were real people. Full disclosure: I am a dorky German, and I want to be hired by you.

I dont get to write much on the forums because I'm a lazy bast***. I'm just writing this in hope that Tim and the rest of the team will see it and know, that we got their backs in whatever decision they might take. This episode has not been a let-down, quite the contrary :-)

We need a gif of those shifty Tim Schafer looks at 24:45 in the video!

I feel like the release date was confirmed to be pushed into the fall sometime last month, or earlier. Does that sound right? I know these docs are filmed a few weeks in advance of release, so it would make sense.

This was an interesting episode.

I like seeing that the DFA team has a realistic and serious approach to making the game instead of plodding along only to suddenly run out of money with the game still unfinished.

That last scene with the clean whiteboard made me feel hopeful. It felt like the team was taking a step back to look at where things stand while gathering energy and resolve to get this game completed in the best way possible.

Keep up the good work, everyone.

Also, everyone at DF, have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. ^_^

“Tim: I can't do this, Greg.

Greg: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Schafer. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Schafer, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Tim: What are we holding onto, Greg?

Greg: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Schafer... and it's worth making a game for.”

timbaggins_greggamgee.png

<3

Amazing!

People want to give you more money!

I know I do.

Someone mentioned a "second-wind" thank-you postcard idea. I think that's a great idea. I would definitely pay an extra $50 for a signed postcard from the Reds team (or some sort of thank you)

no more weekends for you guys^^

I really hope that you don't have to make any compromises that will lower the games quality or have some kind of negative impact for double fine and/or its employees. While I do not care whether this games is coming out next year or the next time the maya calendar ends, I realize that money is the key issue for it to be called a DF Adventure.

I wouldnt really know how to get more funds without any strings attached. Imo, publishers are out, unless they let your do whatever the hell you want. unfortunatly, a publisher accepting that kinda gamble is highly unlikely... Valve might probably be the best option for this kinda proposal. I have yet to read about some kind of dick move on their side about anything at all. ^^

Still, with this, it won't just remain your project and your earnings, but also partially that of the involved publisher.

Another option i could think of is indie-fund. I don't know if this is applicable for DF, since you are already a well know studio, which released numerous games, and already had this game crowdfunded. Plus the money you are probably looking for (1-2mio?) might be a bit too much for indie-fund...

my take on kickstarter #2: a desperate act that probably wont succeed

I wish you the best of luck, hopefully without compromising too much :-)

Also!

What about user-submitted assets like Wasteland 2 is doing??

You have a horde of people who want to help make this game a big success.

I think this episode was really really good as it shows how problems during game development always happen. I like that Tim doesn't want to go to Publishers, I mean, where would that lead to? Activision? Just kidding.

Good games need time and time they shall have. I wouldn't know what I'd do when there was a budget problem but surely I would cut stuff out of the game - which is a normal step in game development as well.

What I don't quite get is this reward-thing... so much costs. I don't get it. I backed for a) the game and b) the videos - that's the most I care about. The merchandise-stuff... well is nice but it shoudn't be the main part. But if I'm not wrong, a huge amount of the money goes into the rewards... well... :>

But I'm optimistic that these guys will finish their job. It's done when it's done :P

Make the thank-you postcard the picture that the intern did. With signatures on the back.

Epic!

I would totally buy that.

DFA Second-Wind-Starter

I loved this episode so much, it gets to the stuff that I wanted to see, where things get difficult.

I know this game will be amazing, I don't care if I get it next year or in 2014, as shishou once said "All arts have lenght and measure"

To show my support I bought two copies of Psychonauts today, one for me even if I already have it on Xbox and one for the girlfriend. Everyone should take advantage of that awesome discount.

You guys are my favorite game developers, GO DOUBLE FINE!

I haven't really posted on the forums since the project began, as I feel I paid for Tim's vision, and I'd like to be as hands-off as possible, but I do want to say this:

I've already sunk $100 into this project, so I'm hoping for the best.

I realize that game development is hard work, I've been part of a few failed development project myself, and I know that initial funding and artistic vision clash frequently until they meet the middle-ground that is "reality".

Your scope may have been too big for the budget, or maybe your staff just can't meet the extreme demands for efficiency required for the budget. These things happen, and it's better to catch them early and start pruning than to reach your deadline and realize you have and unacceptable product.

Shigeru Miyamoto said "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is forever bad."

You're having money and time issues, and I appreciate that.

I'm not adverse to the idea of kicking forward an additional $10-$20, if you and your staff are willing to also push forward with that extra effort to deliver on your vision, and I'm hoping others are too.

God speed.

Great Episode. Although vastly different scenario's, the mood of the video has reminded me of my state of mind throughout finals these last couple weeks. I had an insurmountable amount of work to finish up, on top of studying for the exams and working three part time jobs. End result? Straight A's. You've got this Reds, it is 90% emotion and 10% actual reality, but if you get pumped up and rally the troops we will be playing one amazing adventure game come release.

I leave you with this:

Cheers my friends, and you have my support all the way through.

Hey, you guys don't have to donate more money to this kickstarter!

You can just buy this awesome bundle of prototypes instead!

That way you get something to play, and get TEN MORE episodes of high-quality documentary footage by 2 Player Productions!

Pay what you want! Play prototypes! See more Levi!

(That link again: http://www.humblebundle.com/double-fine)

Warning: There are only five hours left on that bundle!

P.S. Thanks for watching, and for all the supportive comments!

Ive been promoting MMoJ like mad and also talking up the AF prototypes to all of my gaming friends. If you need more money just ask us and Im sure we will come through. :)

I love seeing the meat. t also is interesting because you guys were the first Gamestarter, so any issues you guys have mean far more than, say, the third or fourth guys. You were the original experiment.

Hey, you guys don't have to donate more money to this kickstarter!

You can just buy this awesome bundle of prototypes instead!

That way you get something to play, and get TEN MORE episodes of high-quality documentary footage by 2 Player Productions!

Pay what you want! Play prototypes! See more Levi!

(That link again: http://www.humblebundle.com/double-fine)

Warning: There are only five hours left on that bundle!

P.S. Thanks for watching, and for all the supportive comments!

---

Sounds good Tim!

I am buying the humble bundle (and maybe a few other of your games I've been eyeing up).

It would just be nice if we as a collective could make a "public" statement that we're behind you (as the initial kickstarter sent such a strong message). I think it will be tough to quantify how much of the increased sales will be from backer support. It would be nice to see the next episode have something like: "well, looks like we have our extra million through extra contributions by backers... moving ahead with the new plans."

All the best to the DF crew, happy holidays!

-Chris

p.s.

(Ended up getting the Double Fine Bundle on Steam $9.99 + $25.00 for the Amnesia Fortnight) Fun times!

With the language warning and extra message from Tim, I was honestly expecting a whole lot worse in this episode. I believe in you guys, so no worries!

Also a big thanks for making AF public this year. I felt that it filled in a bunch of holes that DFA has by showing live and unedited game development. Super awesome stuff.

Drama! I saw Brad Muir on giantbomb some weeks ago showing Brazen for the amnesia fortnight. I see now that the need for the money came up when this episode was originally filmed.

Great episode guys, as usual. I can't say I'm super concerned about the state of the project; I know the team will do what they have to do to get it sorted. As Tim says, this happens all the time, maybe even every time!

I'm really impressed at the transparency of the documentary though, it goes above and beyond what I was expecting. I think this is probably the definitive example of the process of game development being documented, in any medium.

yeah thanks for the honesty, the drama and everything! but do consider another kickstarter/whatever before cutting too much stuff! for what its worth Im also definitely up for chipping in more - this is probably the best gaming-related money Ive ever spent. in fact I need this to continue post REDS. =) Itll be really lonely not to have the updates to look forward to.

lolled at greg on the chair "I wish this would go a little faster.." was that the editor making that happen? =)

speaking of the amnesia fortnight HB...is that the actual pendleton ward off of adventure time in the top ten? awesome

Notes on Awesome:

- Optional crash

- Classic text

- The long edit of Tim loading the dialogue

- Closer to the spirit of the game / Girl gets a shadow

- The game, the game

- Can't break love

- Greg on chair (protip: kick yourself backward, look out)

- Tim. Good guy

- "We'll handle it"

Sign in to follow this