Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Episode 7, Amnesia Fortnight, and (gasp!) the Minecraft Movie?!

While I understand scope-creep and the need to cut, I think a lot of people are now curious/afraid what you'll be cutting. It's always sad to hear after a game is done that "Oh this was a great idea but we had to cut it due to deadline/cost".

It's understandable that you 'dont feel right to take more money' from the fans - but I'd rather give you guys more money so you can finish the game as scoped right now with all the great ideas/artwork part of it, than to cut something you feel good about now...

I'd also like to say that I really, really enjoyed this episode. Possibly the most out of any episode so far. Kudos to 2Player productions for doing such a great job, the last shot where Greg clears the board and pins up Marius' sketch was very poignant. I feel like the documentary is truly something different in that it's a completely honest portrayal of the video game industry, and not just a puff piece advertisement.

As a backer I feel like I've already gotten well over my money's worth in exclusive content alone. Keep up the good work, this game is going to be so mindblowingly awesome. I can feel it in my bones.

I think you should stick with the Kickstarter money. Even if it turns out to be a two hour game, even if it turns out to be bad. This game represents something bigger than the game itself and that is the power of crowdfunding.

Hey Guy's, i cant watch the episode! I have a really slow internet connection and i want to watch it without stop-motion... usual i can download it with the Firefox Plug-In Flash Video Downloader. This time it doenst show me the video in the download Panel. Whatever you did, please change it back.. or give me a download-link, or tell me a tool with which i can load it, pleeeaaasse...

I'm guessing that the original plan includes a lot of ideas that were thrown around in isolation and there's likely plenty of fat to cut before we start losing muscle. I'm reminded of the peyote trip in Full Throttle that got cut and ended up growing into Psychonauts.

Another great episode. If we look in Star Wars terms, this is definitely the DF's version of Empire Strikes back in terms of mood and grittyness. Game development isn't always a merry dance, it's hard work and troop rallying and you're doing it just fine. You always have me, and probably a few more backers, behind you cheering you on.

That's something many game developers don't have. Just sayin'.

Don't turn into carbonite on us here!

That was definitley a disturbing episode.

Was it?

With "definitely disturbing episode" I was expecting people stabbing each other and start painting the walls with their own guts, but it wasn't that disturbing (thankfully). There's always issues in a project to iron out but it seems to me Tim is very calm about it. It's almost as he is this Jedi Master soothing his padawans in the office.

First of all, big thanks to 2pp for streaming the Minecraft Movie for us on Sunday! I will certainly be there.

I'm an optimist, so this episode doesn't bother me at all. It's not at all surprising that some budget and schedule issues would have to be solved along the way. I have faith that DoubeFine will find a way to make it happen.

I'm glad publishers are still out of the question. Nothing would kill the soul of DFA like stamping a big EA logo on it.

Really good episode. Along with the AF videos, this series beats most of the so called "reality shows" they put on TV.

Seeing all the positive comments on this thread I think shows how devoted Double Fine fans are. We believe in you, Double Fine! We know you'll deliver a good game!

I think all of us are fine with a later date and better product. What's the point of a deadline except to be pushed- am I right? For anyone who's ever worked on a huge professional project, they'll understand. The initial deadline is just to motivate you to push yourself as hard as you can to see what you can accomplish. If you don't set a rigorous deadline, you'll never know the group's true potential. DF knows this- that's why they came up with Amnesia Fortnight!

Also wanted to go back to something Tim mentioned in his message:

..And then you put all those “wouldn’t it be cool ifs” together and you finally see what it is you’re making. And some strong themes emerge that you didn’t realize were there before. You finally see the core of what you’re doing so you take that machete and you hack off anything that doesn’t support that core.

I heard Andrew Stanton from Pixar say the same thing about making a good movie. You can only discover the theme of your story once it's all laid out there and time to cut. You might think you know the theme while you're writing it, but it's only when you are forced to remove parts of it that you realize what is important and what is redundant. A lot of the best directors out there also all came from being film editors.

“Tim: I can't do this, Greg.

Greg: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Schafer. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Schafer, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Tim: What are we holding onto, Greg?

Greg: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Schafer... and it's worth making a game for.”

timbaggins_greggamgee.png

<3

HaHa! Hobbit Greg is regular person size.

Great episode

Id feel that i would take a game of less scope than having to bring a publisher in i want the game to be all yours and a bit of mine

I would happily pay some more to help that vision of the larger scope

Interesting episode. I think it's great that we get to see this discussion, and it's going to be interesting to see what solution they choose for this. I assume that publisher involvment is completely of the table no matter what, and I think that exclusive distribution deals is also going to generate some nasty backlash on the internet. I doesn't bother me personally as I'm a $100 backer and already know how I get the game, but "exclusive distribition deals" will sound wrong to many people. Money generated from other products sales sounds like the best option, but $1.1 mil from that doesn't sound very realistic?

It's concerning, but not because I'm worried about my investment - that's already been paid back via the excellent documentary. At this point all Double Fine has to do is deliver *something* for me to be satisfied.

As always, good luck, and if there's a way to up my pledge (I donated after the kickstarter was over) I'd be happy to do so.

Anyone know if there is another way to pay for the Amnesia prototypes now that the Humble Bundle has ended?

Do whatever is best for the company.

If you need to raise more money for Double Fine Adventure, do it. I doubt that hardly any of the other kickstarter campaigns are being funded solely by kickstarter money. Do whatever is necessary for the game to sell well.

That's just my 2 cents.

Ooft. The tension was so thick in this episode you could cut it with a knife! But really enjoyable episode, even though this was the stuff I was dreading to see. May have purchased the Double Fine bundle on Steam as a result ¬_¬

While I understand scope-creep and the need to cut, I think a lot of people are now curious/afraid what you'll be cutting. It's always sad to hear after a game is done that "Oh this was a great idea but we had to cut it due to deadline/cost".

Certainly gives a lot of insight into why a lot of video games turn out how they do sometimes, eh?

It's just the nature of the way we're seeing things develop. We'll certainly see cool ideas that will forever remain just that, ideas. But thankfully we'll also see some turn into pure awesome!

Great episode, but a real nail-biter! Maybe not for the DF side, who it sounds like deal with this sort of thing on almost every project, but for those of us who have an image of Double Fine right up there with a dad who is the strongest man on earth, it is hard to acknowledge what is real. The slightest imagining of a world without a Double Fine in it turns my sky grey.

Ooh! And speaking of which!

Emily! I was so happy to see that you work with Rainy Mood on! I use Rainy Mood sometimes when I'm working, too. Usually I just have the rain and don't do the music part, but here are my two all-time favorite tracks for playing in the background of Rainy Mood. =D

Vienna Teng - Lullaby For a Stormy Night

The Wailin' Jennys - Storm Comin' (live)

I’m personally not that worried about the future of the project based on what was said on this episode. Besides the episode was shot like a month, two months ago?

If the… Pudding had hit the fan we would know about it by now, they’re obviously already working themselves through a solution.

Just an observation though. The way things are going Reds will be released after the Kickstarter projects* (most of them) that preceded it, and because of that it will be compared to those projects more harshly and more directly than it was going to be compared to if it had come out first.

If the game that has at least double the budget of those projects and that’s not including the additional inflation of the budget that will move development beyond April, does not look, feel, play and scale favorably compared to games that by all means had less things going for them, there will be a backlash. Hopefully that will not be the case and the game will amaze us all.

*I’m talking about Kickstarter adventures, not projects like Wasteland 2

This episode was hard to watch for all the right reasons. I think it's incredibly valuable for people like myself on the outside of the industry to see these sorts of things. Witnessing brilliant people grappling with these sorts of tough decisions is really something special. It humanizes not only Double Fine but the entire game development process. Thank you again for sharing these things with us.

I have absolute confidence that the Reds team will be able to produce something great with the money on hand, but let me add my voice to the chorus of people asking for a way to increase my pledge.

At the time of the Kickstarter, I was only able to pledge $15. Technically, it was $15 that I didn't even have, it was merely added to a credit card bill that I already couldn't afford to pay. Now (thankfully) I'm in a better financial situation and would absolutely jump at the opportunity to support you guys to a greater degree. I bought the AF bundle for $25, which I just increased to $50, I've previously bought Stacking, Costume Quest twice, Psychonauts about 5 times (twice for myself, others as gifts) and convinced still more people to buy it as well. I bought a PS3 specifically to play Brutal Legend (worth it!), and convinced most of my friends to buy it. I've been happy to support Double Fine over the years, but all of that was different. I want to give you more money specifically for Reds, as it's a project that means a lot to me.

I don't think you should start a new kickstarter, since I fear that could create a negative backlash amongst non-backers that could hurt both Double Fine's reputation and the sales potential of Reds. Also, I appreciate how much hard work it takes to run a kickstarter, and feel like that time and effort is better spent on the game. I would, however, love an option to increase my pledge to qualify for higher levels of digital rewards. I'd say digital only because the physical rewards have already been dealt with, and require more money and effort to fulfill (as much as I really want one of those t-shirts). I would love to be able to download these incredible videos from 2PP, as well as the soundtrack, for future enjoyment. If this isn't possible, just put a paypal button on a page that says "Give money for Reds" and I will do so for no additional benefit to myself. Honestly I feel like I've ripped you off by only giving $15 for the enjoyment I've had so far from the episodes and forum posts.

Please give us the opportunity to support you to a greater degree.

And if all else fails, maybe call Steve Dengler? He seems like a nice guy... ;)

The episode was a wonderful, fascinating piece of insight.. not much else to say beyond that other than I just want to thank 2player productions for doing such a wonderful job putting this all together. I heard you guys interviewed in the past week on Idle Thumbs podcast and putting together these videos sounds like daunting work as well.

Great job.

So, where can I donate more money?

This is what I want to know.

That - or where I can buy the Amnesia prototypes now that the humble-bundle has expired...

Awesome guys, probably my favorite episode so far.

The more time I spend with you guys, the more I want to be part of DF... :D

Truly inspiring!

After watching this episode I bought Costume Quest for my friend on Steam as an extra Christmas present for her (it was on her wishlist anyway!), and to hopefully help you guys out a little. If there's any way I can increase my backing to a higher tier as well, I would be happy to do so as well.

Merry Christmas to everyone at Double Fine. You guys are awesome. <3

So, where can I donate more money?

If you want to support DF, that's all good because they seem like great guys that deserves it. But I also think it's important that we don't feel to sorry for them. It felt rough after the episode, but at the same time, it's a mature company that knew the constraints of the project before they started, and have to live by them. And the events in this episode is probably 2 months old by now.

Keep on fightin DF! :)

Sign in to follow this