Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Episode 7, Amnesia Fortnight, and (gasp!) the Minecraft Movie?!

So, where can I donate more money?

This is what I want to know.

That - or where I can buy the Amnesia prototypes now that the humble-bundle has expired...

Same here. But I do think support would need a more focused effort than "well, you can buy this or that stuff if you wish to help" (now expired) - like possibly a second kickstarter, with this explicit goal (equal to the needed extra budget), that can be followed by all of us and rallied around. It would have to be stated very clearly of course that this was not a plea for funds to finish the game (that has already been funded once, and rather generously), but for the money to make the game at the currently envisioned scope, instead of the scope allowed by the remaining funds. I would see no problem with such a statement, frankly. Oh, and it probably should be a fairly short campaign - a week or two: banking on the impact of this update before it dissipates. Then again, what do I know - just my $0.02...

If anything this made me feel better about my own ups and downs in software development.

Personally, I struggle when I get to areas that I promised to do but then start to think the usual, "Holy crap, how am I going to do this?".

I think everyone needs to remember that usually games development only turns a profit when you have all the tools and code-base already done before you start the project. Unless you're one of these games that generates crazy hype and sells ridiculous numbers of copies, you always struggle. A lot of companies make this "tools and engine development" cost back by selling DLC and Expansions, which usually have a much higher profit margin.

I believe that investing in REDS would allow DF to create sequels and other adventure games for much cheaper in the future, due to a lot of the work having been done. The only issue I see is the amount of detail they're putting in to painting each scene. They got to find a way to get that done faster. Hopefully they already have.

While I was watching this all I could think was 'AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh....." etc etc and so on.

But I totally understand that the game has to go through this process. On the one hand, it's been a long time since that kickstarter page first went up, so I would expect more progress. But at the same, most major developers will spend three or four years on a game, and they can spend just as much time doing half as much work. It's hard to see where you're going when you first start, and you are just packing in as much as you possibly can because it looks cool or interesting, but you can't see that it's getting out of hand until you start to see it coming together as a whole.

So, hack away! On the one hand, a million little secrets and forever-branching dialogue trees would be cool. But then the first Portal was developed on a tight deadline by a few people, as padding/apology to tack onto Half Life and it produced something brilliant.

Though I would like to see this game lasting longer than two hours :P

Eh, I tried to say something insightful but it was kinda just a rehash of what Tim said, and what everyone one else has been saying on this page. Just know that guys, we're all behind you =D

And I would happily contribute more if I could afford to, but the student lifestyle is paved with tight budgets and crazy work hours =(

I must say that the game, as it is in the episode, looks fantastic. I wasn't sure about it when you saw the initial scene they showed in the episode, and the design of the girl isn't the one I myself prefered. But when I saw the game moving a bit more, saw the gamera move, saw additional characters and then saw the cutscene, wow. That looks so great. Maybe I shouldn do comparisons with other games based on so little, but I thought it had the Amanita feel a bit, but with much more cooler and with a much higher budget being visible.

I wish they would start a second kickstarter or some sort of donation page. I really want to see this game be everything it can be and would pitch in more $$ to give the development team the time and money it needs. If half the people who backed chipped in another $5 that would make a huge difference!

If you guys wanna send Double Fine more love in the form of money, you can probably just endlessly slackerback them through paypal here:

http://www.doublefine.com/dfapay/

The only thing that's hard about this is there is no "if we reach this goal" meter and sense of community rallying. If I send $50 I don't know if anyone else did, and if that $50 will go to "waste" so to speak because not enough people donated. I would give another $5-$15 if I knew I would only get billed if the amount of money they needed was reached. Is it possible to do this OUTSIDE of kickstarter to avoid the fee?

And I agree, it's not a sympathy thing. I just have waited FOREVER for a good adventure game by people I want to make it making it... I know it will be good if they stay on budget. I only paid $15 I don't mind paying $30 for a better game. I have faith in DF!

great episode. it wasn't so depressing. i was pumped when bagel stepped up and said what had obviously been on his mind. that was a big step in the "reality" stage, beyond the "cool ideas" stage. it's good to see other realizations and problem solving. in my limited experience with life, great things often come out of less than ideal circumstances. especially with creative people, this sort of jolt usually produces great results. good luck; we all know that you all have the ability to do the unthinkable after watching AF.

well this episode brings concern but I think its all gonna work out. this is the first game that DF is doing something like this so just believe ind them :D

even if tim cuts a lot of things from the game what they could do is after the game is finished and stills they can use that money to make the cut stuff into DLC and sell that to people and give the backers it for free.

I know DLC in an adventure game is not really something you can do other then by designing it the way from the start but maybe do it like a directs cut of the game instead. this has been done before and I think at some point we will see the whole thing.

“Tim: I can't do this, Greg.

Greg: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Schafer. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Schafer, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Tim: What are we holding onto, Greg?

Greg: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Schafer... and it's worth making a game for.”

timbaggins_greggamgee.png

<3

Clever Hobbits, to raise money so high!

The game looks absolutely beautiful. I hate the idea of things being cut.

But if that's what needs to be done, it needs to be done, I guess.

Great episode. Keep up the good work.

I've felt for while that the game didn't seem to be on track to make April. It was hard to know for sure, but from the episodes it sure seemed that way. Nothing in this episode is particularly bothersome to me. I've never worked in the game industry but I've worked on lots of personal creative projects, and something kind of like this always happens. Typically for me the beginning phase is kind of slow as I figure out what to do, then it picks up in the middle and I feel like whatever I'm working on is going to get done early. But then near the end you have to put in all these little finishing touches and the whole project slows down again. Sometimes you have to make adjustments. In fact it would be very unusual if you didn't. I have confidence in Double Fine because they've been down this road before and I think they know how to handle it.

This game is turning out to be my most anticipated game ever.

I have been a fan of Tim Schafer's games since I could play. I think I played monkey 2 all the way through before I could read, and so this game is turning out to be amazing.

I think it might just be time for the adventure game to return.

This time last year I would have said there was no way for an adventure game to be popular. But since the Walking Dead, I feel like adventure games can return, and not in the Zombie way.

Keep doing what you do best DF.

Ask notch for money...

The thought had crossed my mind that this is probably the cleanest way to get a million dollars and its backer friendly. I get the impression that Notch is the type of guy who wouldn't want interest and he already attempted to fund Psychonauts 2. I would contribute to a second Kickstarter but I imagine DF wants to avoid that since it could set a bad precedent for Kickstarter projects, with this being the poster child project.

Thanks for the video guys, everyone appreciates the transparency. Nearly every project I've been on has had to push the release date. Mostly this has been from Publisher or Client feature creep, which is really frustrating when the reasons for missing your dates are out of your control. In this case your missing the date due to your our integrity which is very respectable.

Ask notch for money...

The thought had crossed my mind that this is probably the cleanest way to get a million dollars and its backer friendly. I get the impression that Notch is the type of guy who wouldn't want interest and he already attempted to fund Psychonauts 2. I would contribute to a second Kickstarter but I imagine DF wants to avoid that since it could set a bad precedent for Kickstarter projects, with this being the poster child project.

Thanks for the video guys, everyone appreciates the transparency. Nearly every project I've been on has had to push the release date. Mostly this has been from Publisher or Client feature creep, which is really frustrating when the reasons for missing your dates are out of your control. In this case your missing the date due to your our integrity which is very respectable.

Its funny, I also thought that the second they said "We need to find money" :) Notch is like a hero to me, a "true" Indie developer with power to change - and actually using this "power". But I would like to see what Double Fine would do with only their money + Kickstarter, because that would be precious information to me as an Indie dev.

I know that, for Tim, this is a difficult time, but as an Indie developer this video actually gives me a warm feeling and strength to keep developing. If experienced teams can have the same kind of problems I have, maybe not all is lost. I'll be closely following this specific issue (schedule and budget).

Awesome episode, this is one of the things I was waiting for the most: the issues faced while developing.

Thanks for this update. While this video may seem a bit of a downer, it is great to see Tim and the team working through the tough parts of development that is all part of making an exceptional game in the near future.

"We're the poster child."

We, all of us, are that poster child, and we all get to define what crowd sourcing is. You hear the many voices saying they want to support you, right? Let us have our moment to choose!

Make a second kickstarter with a $200,000 goal with NO new rewards and let the backers choose if that is an acceptable thing to do. Why is it your right to say that it's not "ok"? If they don't fund it, fine! Consider it a vote to cut until it fits. But let us vote. Give us the chance to make the game be what we want.

Sure, I could slacker back again, but having another kickstarter makes it a team effort where we either do it together, or we don't do it.

Please, it's not failure to ask for more money. Why can't it be, 'we see where this is headed and we like what we see so we're gonna double down?" Maybe this is how crowd funding *needs* to be. Maybe in the future we half fund projects until we like what we see and only then finish funding them.

I'm telling you, I have cash in my pocket that is burning a hole there just waiting for you to ask for it. And how many times have I ever said that in my life about anything else?

Not depressing, but intense.

Man, I wouldn't want to be that new BizDev guy sitting in that meeting, where everyone is expressing their feelings at that pivotal and kinda heavy ponderous moment, and Tim's kinda hazing the dude out by just raising his eyebrows at everything he says! As if to say "What you got to contribute, Money Man? Show me the magic! Dance!" I feel Mr Bizdev really has his work cut out for him, as Double Fine almost seems like an anti-biz-dev environment, as in they believe it's a necessary evil, like sewerage plumbing, but if they could avoid doing it or being involved then they would really rather not.

At the same time I really feel for Tim, jumping back on the tools after obviously quite a long hiatus as the fearless studio leader / hands-off-dev-tools creative inspirasplosion dude of wisdom. God, what a challenge, to somehow try and condense years of training and education that his younger staff have been absorbing every day, focusing on their by specialities. That's a really challenging moment to have to face. That point where you want to contribute in a practical way, back in the trenches with your team, but there just_isn't_enough_time_to_learn_everything_required.

Don't sweat it, Tim. You've already earned your robe and wizard hat as the Guy Who Makes Opportunities For Other People To Follow Their Dreams. That's way more of a contribution than a couple of lines of dialogue code.

Has DF done any survey to check who would buy the game but refuse to back the project? If this is important to their business they should at least try to find this information.

Also, outside the backer community, what is the target audience? If it's old time adventure players, I would check if they have the time to play such a game. If they are not active gamers will this cause them to play? If they are gamers, does it provide an alternative to other choices?

If the target audience are new players (such as the younger audience) then how is Reds going to achieve their interest in this game style?

Finally, the general feeling is that there are backers who are willing to bring in new funds for the game without any strings attached. Maybe it's just a loud minority, maybe it's a large portion. However we can't know because DF hasn't asked the backers for this and the current payment system regards this as an exception, not as a common scenario.

I think a lot of us backers want to make a statement.

Let the backers have a say in cutting or increasing funds!

We are essentially publishers as a collective and I think everyone wants to see the best possible game made.

This game is going to set the standard!

Sign in to follow this