Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lastSKYsamurai

Best way to Directly Support REDS Project further?

So Episode 7 just came out, & It got me thinking about wanting to throw more money at you guys directly for the project. & what the best possible way to do that was? Can I do a couple of gift game purchases for friends & family or is there some sort of Tip Jar I can contribute in directly? If anyone else is feeling generous towards the Project, how are you helping? What would be the best possible way to help further fund the REDS?

I've sent a PM to Mr Schafer (although I have no idea if he'll receive it) asking if it is possible to buy multiple copies of the DFA in a single transaction. My original plan was to purchase at least 10-20 Amnesia Fortnight bundles to hand out but I haven't received word from the Humble Bundle folks about getting those codes in one transaction. I know if I purchase each copy individually my bank will raise a red flag and I don't want to go through all that trouble.

Hopefully all goes well and 20 lucky forum goers will receive a copy of the DFA. If not, I'm sure I'll find other means to give what little financial support I can.

As the guy who wrote the system that we use to get the transactions from PayPal, I can say that this would probably need to be done by hand, via Greg or Chris Remo!

Easiest way for anybody to support Double Fine directly anytime is to buy an awesome Tshirt or a poster or other awesome stuff at our newly updated company store!

http://shop.doublefine.com/

Another easy way is to buy one of our games already being distributed on Steam! Already have those? They'd make wonderful digital stocking stuffers for a loved one! They are also part of the Steam holiday sale right now!

After watching episode 7, I can say with certainty that I'd throw more cash at Double Fine for this project if they asked me to. In fact, that seems like the attitude that the vast majority of backers are displaying. I think that says quite a lot about the level of commitment Double Fine's fans have - and how much we all trust this company to deliver a great game.

When I first saw the Kickstarter pitch video, I was 100% certain Tim & co. would deliver a fantastic game. After watching episode 7, I'm still 100% certain.

As the guy who wrote the system that we use to get the transactions from PayPal, I can say that this would probably need to be done by hand, via Greg or Chris Remo!

Interesting and thanks for the information. Now I shall play the waiting game.

Another easy way is to buy one of our games already being distributed on Steam! Already have those? They'd make wonderful digital stocking stuffers for a loved one! They are also part of the Steam holiday sale right now!

I would absolutely love to, except Steam also has the same problem in that I can't buy multiple gifts in one transaction. I'm in the holiday mood right now and I want to give. WHY WON'T YOU LET ME GIIIIVE?!?

Easiest way for anybody to support Double Fine directly anytime is to buy an awesome Tshirt or a poster or other awesome stuff at our newly updated company store!

http://shop.doublefine.com/

Gotta get me that Iron Brigade T-Shirt.

Is there any news on the Brütal Legend art book? I would preorder it today if I could.

I wonder if you guys thought about some sort of way of increasing/upgrading existing pledges?

For instance inXile has an Account system over at: https://rangercenter.inxile-entertainment.com/store for Wasteland 2 that allows for exactly this: http://www.abload.de/img/waste24bkes.png

They also have different "Late Backer" rewards: http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store

Maybe you could talk to them? :P

Similar with Star Citizen, they ended the campaign with somewhat over $6 million and since then have almost gathered another million: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

I'm pretty sure there would be lots of people that might up their pledge and others that would still jump into it.

adding a "Double Fine Care Package" to the store would be nice.

Maybe $50-$100 for an art postcard/Photo of the team signed by the team and a mention in the Game credits under the Title "Double Fine Support group.

If Double Fine could set up an Amazon.com wish list for the team as a whole so fans can send "encouragement packages" into the trenches without any stalker like behaviour having to be dealt with.

Hopefully a "TOP UP" solution will be made clear after the January DFA episode and we will be able to help the team make the game we know we want them to be able to make :)

I know the game will be awesome no matter what, but I would like to donate more money to see as little of the game's scope and vision reduced as possible. It sounds like many backers feel the same well.

However, I think a lot of people (myself included) would be far more likely to support if there was a greater sense of a goal/need and assurance of that being met. Spending $$ on a T-Shirt or donating more as a slacker backer is one thing, but I don't know how far that money will go; (i.e. how many people have done this? How large of a difference will it make?)

If there was a rally that we said "we need to raise 1.2 million" with a community meter, and if I wasn't billed unless we hit that goal, I would happily donate another $15-$30 to see the funding met. Basically another kick starter, though it would be nice to bypass the kick starter fee so DF could keep all profit.

I don't think it's a cop out or a bail out... basically it's a choice. Do you want an awesome smaller adventure game that meets expectations and the kickstarter description? Well, you'll get that no matter what. DF hasn't fail, that will be accomplished. I see it as a fund raiser for "we can make this game larger, more expansive, and reach a fuller vision if we have extra $$... who's in?" I'm all for making the game bigger and better and seeing it reach full potential

It would be fantastic if there were some way of letting us up our pledges. I've regretted the fact that I only put $30 forward for a long time, and hearing about cutbacks just makes me want to give more.

I've already bought the Double Fine bundle on Steam, but please let me (and everyone else who's shown an interest here) help you further by giving us a way of upping our pledges! :)

It would be fantastic if there were some way of letting us up our pledges. I've regretted the fact that I only put $30 forward for a long time, and hearing about cutbacks just makes me want to give more.

I've already bought the Double Fine bundle on Steam, but please let me (and everyone else who's shown an interest here) help you further by giving us a way of upping our pledges! :)

Yeah, I would up my pledge from $15 to $30! I bet a lot of people would.

If half of the 47k backers or so upped from $15 to $30 that would be $350k raised. That's a third of what they need, and in combination with some other funding methods they mentioned that could make a huge difference!

The best thing they could do is a pre-order push whenever they release media of the game to the public. That money could complete the game's budget. Right now the whole "Slacker Backer" option isn't very visible on the DF site and is hard to find and navigate to.

There needs to be a way to preorder the game on the DF site, on Steam, on Amazon, etc that doesn't just use Paypal, you check out through the shopping cart and then it gives you access to all the Slacker Backer stuff.

That's all things that Telltale magically is able to do, so I would hope you could figure it out.

Also, maybe you could get someone like Gametrailers or IGN to put the highlights video from PAX of the documentary up on one of their sites. Or maybe 1-2 of the early episodes. Pretty hard to believe the highlights one only has 13k views on YT right now.

I would also hope the final name of the game is something better than "Double Fine Adventure". That will help in marketing the thing.

When I backed the kickstarter project, I opted for 30$ because I felt that this was a good price for the game. But after getting multiple hours of video documentary I feel that I already got my moneys worth of entertainment. I wouldn't feel that the whole kickstarter project failed if Reds failed as Tim feared in episode 7. I think that I failed in paying an adequate price for what I already got. There definitely should be a way to pay more money for this game.

The only question is how this option should be advertised. I already own all Doublefine games available for my platform. And buying games multiple times does not directly support the development of Reds. Lot's of money goes to the publisher. I want to support Reds directly. I do not care for posters or t-shirts. What I do care for are big and epic storys like Grim Fandango.

Therefor I suggest a "Pay for scope" campaign. What do you think?

buying games multiple times does not directly support the development of Reds. Lot's of money goes to the publisher. I want to support Reds directly. I do not care for posters or t-shirts. What I do care for are big and epic storys like Grim Fandango.

Therefor I suggest a "Pay for scope" campaign. What do you think?

YES

Just by reading this thread it seems that everyone seems to be in agreement to putting forth more money into the development of REDS. I also see a lot of posts stating "I wish I pledged more!"

If the inXile/Star Citizen option that Dexter suggested is infeasible, how about an option to gift the DFA Slacker Backer package? As I stated in my first reply to this thread, I'm doing my best to see if I can gift multiple copies of the DFA, however if every current backer to the project also gifts just one copy, I'm sure that it will significantly boost the income needed.

Let's say that a quarter of the current backer group (21,786) gifted just one copy of the DFA (priced at $30). That's an estimated influx of $653,565 although I do realise that's a best case scenario.

Please anyone at Double Fine, give us the option to gift the DFA. That way, YOU and ONLY YOU will receive all the profits to directly fund development of REDS, no publisher/distributor split.

I want to stress this even further. When I'm watching the DFA episodes or amnesia fortnight and I see all the folks at double fine "creating beauty by simply rocking", I really feel like ripping them of. I really don't want to feel that way... it being Christmas and all...

"We're the poster child."

We, all of us, are that poster child, and we all get to define what crowd sourcing is. You hear the many voices saying they want to support you, right? Let us have our moment to choose!

Make a second kickstarter with a $200,000 goal with NO new rewards and let the backers choose if that is an acceptable thing to do. Why is it your right to say that it's not "ok"? If they don't fund it, fine! Consider it a vote to cut until it fits. But let us vote. Give us the chance to make the game be what we want.

Sure, I could slacker back again, but having another kickstarter makes it a team effort where we either do it together, or we don't do it.

Please, it's not failure to ask for more money. Why can't it be, 'we see where this is headed and we like what we see so we're gonna double down?" Maybe this is how crowd funding *needs* to be. Maybe in the future we half fund projects until we like what we see and only then finish funding them.

I'm telling you, I have cash in my pocket that is burning a hole there just waiting for you to ask for it. And how many times have I ever said that in my life about anything else?

-repost

It's great seeing so much feedback. I'd defiantly like to see a Double Fine Tip Jar. I don't mind buying swag, but that really cuts into the final profit Double Fine could receive, as apposed to just giving you guys 100% of what I'd like to donate further.

Another way I could see, if the guys at DF, don't decide to hear our pleas, is if someone knows of a legitimate fund-raising site that lets you set up a fundraiser for whatever you want for whomever you want. Like Kickstarter but without the reward tiers. The site gets a cut sure, but at least us fans would have a second hub to rally more funds.

For the time being though, I'll be gifting a couple of SlackerBacker codes to some friends, though I'd like to see a Double Fine Tip Jar appear & the option to buy multiple copies of the game at once.

You know, I was just randomly looking over the original Kickstarter project page for DFA and I noticed this link in the FAQ at the bottom.

http://www.doublefine.com/DFAShipping/

Apparently it's so international backers that forgot to add $10 for shipping could do so directly. I don't know if they want us using this link as a tip jar, but it's something that comes to mind :)

"We're the poster child."

We, all of us, are that poster child, and we all get to define what crowd sourcing is. You hear the many voices saying they want to support you, right? Let us have our moment to choose!

Make a second kickstarter with a $200,000 goal with NO new rewards and let the backers choose if that is an acceptable thing to do. Why is it your right to say that it's not "ok"? If they don't fund it, fine! Consider it a vote to cut until it fits. But let us vote. Give us the chance to make the game be what we want.

Sure, I could slacker back again, but having another kickstarter makes it a team effort where we either do it together, or we don't do it.

Please, it's not failure to ask for more money. Why can't it be, 'we see where this is headed and we like what we see so we're gonna double down?" Maybe this is how crowd funding *needs* to be. Maybe in the future we half fund projects until we like what we see and only then finish funding them.

I'm telling you, I have cash in my pocket that is burning a hole there just waiting for you to ask for it. And how many times have I ever said that in my life about anything else?

-repost

Yes, this.

If we the people funded it, we are the publishers. Let us vote with our wallets if we want to extend the deadline, let the project reach its full breadth of scope, etc.

The emphasis has been on partnering with players via the forums and the documentary, making us part of the process. Isn't upping our pledges or backing the game further financially part of our democratically being involved in the project? Isn't that part of the crowd sourced mentality?

I think ti's very important to for Double Fine to NOT have to come back and say "hey, we blew our request out of the water and now we need more $$... we couldn't do it." It's very important for them not to manipulate the backers or try and exploit them financially. But it's also important to easily setup methods for us to rally as a community to fundraise if we want to "add" additional features, content, or production value.

I have no doubt the game can and would be completed and completed well with no additional help from us. But I know a lot of us smaller $15 backers would be happy to double our pledges to see this game become a full length, full production value, classic adventure game that doesn't need to be reduced in scope or size to meet a budget that was established when most of us had no investment in the project.

If I knew what I know now when originally backing the project, I would have pledged more.

Nicely said Dsc, You couldn't have a more valid point. Though you have to think at some stage that, if DF did decide to let us contribute more, there would have to come a point where further funding may have to stop for production efficiency & control. Say they received a further 80 thousand in funding from fans, that 80 thousand might trickle in over a three or four month period. If extending the project somewhat revolved around this sort of funding that wouldn't make production very efficient or practical.

Now I'm absolutely for the Idea of additional fan funding, heck, look at the thread starter haha - though if it were to happen, it would have to be soon & controlled to a point; that something like, over the next three or four months period, all additional fan funding would be accepted for further production of the game, that extra production might have to fall in a particular area of the game, for practicality reasons; as even waiting for more then a month to see what funding comes in, would I assume, clash with the current production schedule, whatever that schedule may be at the moment.

While this is just thought & speculation from me, I'm pretty confident in my reasoning. Though I hope Tim or someone from the team could shed some light on this if anything should eventuate on the topic.

Regards, a faithful Fan.

A second kickstarter would be nothing but a complete backlash of negativity throughout every gaming publication and every gaming community with this one as a possible exception. You can't raise this much over your initial goal, and then come asking for more. Every bit of goodwill DF has gotten from this kickstarter would be destroyed by it. A second kickstarter or publisher interference cannot be considered as options. They either get additional funds somewhere else, and/or cut planned contentent.

And they probably have already planned and decided on the way forward since much of the filmed material in the episode is from october/early november.

From what I saw in the latest video, I think the better move could be start "selling" (in all the meanings) the game. Open the website with teaser screenshots and movies, put a preorder page in the shop (to make clear is no more a simple donation), sell some nice gadgets, and so on. Also I think nice ideas could be a game poster (since backgrounds from the game are now clearly available), team photos (as previously said) signed/unsigned, etc. Also a "gift a friend this X Double Fine game" (DFA included) option. My 2 cents of course..

Yeah I'm not proposing a second kickstarter, that would look bad.

But let us up our pledges and see how much has been raised. Not via kickstarter, via this site. Just like Star Citizen.

I think pre-order is a good idea as well.

A second kickstarter would be nothing but a complete backlash of negativity throughout every gaming publication and every gaming community with this one as a possible exception. You can't raise this much over your initial goal, and then come asking for more. Every bit of goodwill DF has gotten from this kickstarter would be destroyed by it. A second kickstarter or publisher interference cannot be considered as options. They either get additional funds somewhere else, and/or cut planned contentent.

The only backlash would be if a publisher got involved as the indie badge was a big selling point. Everybody knows that the big issue with early Kickstarters is dealing with the huge cost of shipping (Mainly international) and issues with items "lost in post" or "split deliveries" that have to be paid for twice or more. This just wasn't known to be a big issue back then and that lost money has to come from somewhere.

I would reach into my pocket to help with that shortfall and I don't think people will get offended about me spending my cash unless they have quite deeply routed problems in their life.

I understand the concerns some members have had about giving Double Fine more money for REDS. Really, I do. Double Fine should have had the foresight and the planning necessary to get the game developed on time and on budget. However, as is the nature of game development things change. Tools aren't developed as much as they could (given that they're creating most of them from scratch), team jobs are switched, concepts are altered, the list goes on. These are all unforeseen developments that can never truly be planned for and it is these developments that cost time and therefore money.

In this situation a publisher would make the decision whether or not to increase the budget or to decrease the scope of the game. This project is different and it is this one aspect that many seem to forget - WE (the backers) are the ones who funded development of REDS and therefore WE are the publisher (essentially). WE make the calls. Let US decide what happens from here. If a few backers are more than willing to give more money to further fund development of REDS then why deny them the option?

I understand the concerns some members have had about giving Double Fine more money for REDS. Really, I do. Double Fine should have had the foresight and the planning necessary to get the game developed on time and on budget. However, as is the nature of game development things change. Tools aren't developed as much as they could (given that they're creating most of them from scratch), team jobs are switched, concepts are altered, the list goes on. These are all unforeseen developments that can never truly be planned for and it is these developments that cost time and therefore money.

In this situation a publisher would make the decision whether or not to increase the budget or to decrease the scope of the game. This project is different and it is this one aspect that many seem to forget - WE (the backers) are the ones who funded development of REDS and therefore WE are the publisher (essentially). WE make the calls. Let US decide what happens from here. If a few backers are more than willing to give more money to further fund development of REDS then why deny them the option?

Hope you did read tims message at the end of the post another way we can fix the budget is what we do with all our games is cut some parts till it fits the budget. It will depend how much there will be cut and how much extra money they gonna invest on how good they wanna make the game.

No no no and just NO!

When backing the Kickstarter, it was giving DF the ability to make a game without the restriction of a publisher. We have not entered into an agreement with DF with any terms and conditions. The money that we gave was given in good faith.

Suggesting that since we gave money to the project that we have the right to decide on it's direction is just wrong. not to mention that voting on the direction with a committee of over 87 thousand people would just not work (And in all honesty worse than using a publisher).

In regards to throwing more money at DF to decrease what needs to be cut out. I would totally do that if we could! It now feels like we are missing out on what the absolute ideal of what the DFA could be. But previous comments regarding the media backlash to asking for more money is absolutely correct. It would only be negative publicity to what has become a kickstarter game poster child.

So really there isn't an easy solution, I don't think that they will ask us for more money (Even though so many are willing to). Most likely they will cut down the scope of the game and either internally invest more or try and strike a deal with Steam/Gog.

I might be wrong, but that's my best guess :)

Sign in to follow this