Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Potion802

EDIT: The Cave available on January 23!

Little bit surprised no one has said this, but the steam page for "The Cave" is up! http://store.steampowered.com/app/221810/

Looks like it will be Steam only, looking at Green Man Gaming: http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/adventure/cave/

And it looks like it will be out within the next week!. AND GET AWESOME TF2 ITEMS FROM STEAM!!!

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing yet. I'm really thinking they will only allow us to purchase when the game is released!

If so, hurry up! I got some cash waiting to be spent, and if The Cave doesn't take its share quick, the money will be spent on boooks... BOOOOKS!

I'd love to have a release date more precise than "sometime this month," but I have some money on my Steam account that's dedicated to The Cave, so at least I know I'll be able to get it the moment it's released.

The price will likely be $15, like DF's other downloadable games, but I don't know if they've said anything certain on the price yet.

The Cave seems like it's going to be a bigger game than previous DL releases. I could see more than $15 for the initial price point. Maybe $20.

Which, you know, I'll gladly pay.

The Cave seems like it's going to be a bigger game than previous DL releases. I could see more than $15 for the initial price point. Maybe $20.

Which, you know, I'll gladly pay.

Some surprisingly meaty games have released at a $15 price point, though $20 would still be quite reasonable for The Cave.

Either way, I have enough on my Steam account to get it, so I'm set. :)

It's on my wishlist ready for a day 1 purchase on Steam and PSN! :) One thing to note, it's been categorized as an Adventure, Platformer!?

I thought Ron went to great lengths to say that this game wasn't a Platformer?!

At first glance it's a platformer.

Things have been kind of quiet, seeing as this game releases this month. Wonder how much marketing support Sega is going to provide.

Things have been kind of quiet, seeing as this game releases this month. Wonder how much marketing support Sega is going to provide.

It looks like it has platform elements for sure, in that you run and jump etc., but it's not really a platformer. Maybe I'm just being pedantic!? ;-)

In his interview here - http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/11/ron-gilberts-the-cave-will-have-silent-characters-platforming-and-self-discovery/ - he says

"The game is not a platformer, but just having that fun activity while you go from place to place is a nice addition to adventure games."

I have to agree, when I first watched the demo it showed a lot of running and jumping, so at first glance it looked like a true platformer. I'm just hoping that people who don't really know what the game is about don't assume it's a platformer solely based on the demo video and it's Steam category.

Kind of concerned about this. There's been a considerable amount of press coverage, but the game is coming out this month and there isn't a release date or price on Steam yet.

Seems like I've seen a good number of interviews/features trickling out -- If Ron was on a huge press tour during Amnesia Fortnight, it's probably likely that an amount of that press has yet to hit.

As far as whether or not this is a platformer, I've decided that it is until I say it isn't (added to wishlist).

It is fascinating that the videos pitch it as a Limbo-esque platformer if it really-definitely-isn't-a-platformer... That's where the money is, I guess.

It looks to me like a modern take on Maniac Mansion. Take the idea of adventuring, and add in some platformer-style game mechanics. Choose your crew of three. Switch between them at will. Different crew means different puzzles. No inventory, however you directly pick up and manipulate objects in the game world. You directly control the characters, but I wonder if we use only the keyboard, or if mouse works too?

Questions, questions. This will be awesome.

For those wondering if it's an adventure game or a platformer, the 5th page of this interview should give you some answers (though I recommend that you read the whole thing. It's a great interview): http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/23616

To put it short, DF agrees that the trailers make it look like a platformer, but they seem confident that players will realize that it's an adventure game once they get their hands on it.

You directly control the characters, but I wonder if we use only the keyboard, or if mouse works too?

I've heard that The Cave can be played (at least mostly) with the mouse if the player wishes.

I want this game so much it hurts my peepee.

I'm also pretty reassured by stuff Gilbert has said about the 'platforming', i.e. that's it's not really about precision or timing etc. I'm still not convinced that doing away with the inventory is a good idea, but I don't expect it to ruin things, either - and I'm definitely curious to see how it all works out.

TBH by this stage I'm a lot more interested in the Cave than Reds.

I'm still not convinced that doing away with the inventory is a good idea, but I don't expect it to ruin things, either - and I'm definitely curious to see how it all works out.

I can still remember how sceptical I was when Lucasarts started experimenting with simplified user-interfaces for their adventures in the 90s. Today, just having two (mouse-)buttons is pretty much standard, but I perceived it as "dumbing it down" at the time. So maybe this is something similar I just cannot see yet?

But maybe, it doesn't have to be an adventure-game in the traditional sense - at least for me.

I wouldn't mind the game being it's own special mix of adventure, platformer, puzzle, etc. as long as it is interesting in terms of story, characters, atmosphere and humour ... and given it's Ron and DF the chances for that are pretty good, I'd say.

I hope eventually the game escapes from SEGA's grip and is released on GOG.com. Two main reasons:

1. Yay, no DRM! I dislike Steam

2. I have all my other Double Fine games on GOG.com

Greenmangaming has the preorder up for $14.99 for The Cave. Also currently they have a coupon that will take 20% off of it making it 12$.

Needless to say mine is already on order.

I'm gonna wait 'til Steam has it up. Oh yeah, and then I'll actually have the cashola by then.

The GreenManGaming version is a steam key. Just saying in case you're waiting because you want it to be on Steam.

Did anyone notice that "The cave" was removed from the "COMING SOON" tab (steam)?

Btw, thanks for the heads-up, I pre-ordered from GMG because I couldn't care less about those TF2 hats (I had some rare ones that I gave away for free to the first random guy who asked me)

Had to put in my pre-purchase in at Green Man Gaming. Killer deals on pre-orders there. Hopefully, that's just as good a deal for Double Fine (I assume their cut is about the same as a steam sale.)

Sign in to follow this