Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dsc106

POLL: How many of you backers would increase your pledge for DFA???

If there was a 2nd Fundraiser for DFA, would you donate more?  

420 members have voted

1. 1. If there was a 2nd Fundraiser for DFA, would you donate more?

• No, I would not chip in additional $$ for the DFA. There's always budget limitations
    • Yes, I would donate more money to help, regardless of how many other people donated more
    • Yes, I would donate more money to help if there was a goal that needed to be reached and I knew my donation would matter

I've read a lot of people here saying they would be happy to donate more $$ to see DFA reach it's full potential. I wanted to see in a poll how that holds up - so who here would donate/pledge more, not to see the game finished (that will happen regardless), but to see a bigger and better game delivered with minimal reduction in scope and vision?

Personally, I would donate more, but I would prefer to not just randomly donate more via the slacker backer page or a T-Shirt. I would like to see a community effort with a meter so I know my donation was going directly to DFA and that there was a tangible goal being worked towards and that my donation would make a difference (i.e. if the team needs 1 million to make a difference, I don't want to donate $50 only to find out they only raised an extra $100,000 and it barely made a difference in production).

So, who's in?

I'd donate more / increase my pledge in a heartbeat. Not only do I have an immense amount of faith in the talented team at Double Fine, but this game means a lot to me personally - maybe more than a game ever has before. I know for a fact that many other backers feel the same, too.

That said, I don't think the point of the latest episode is to make us all feel bad and sort of guilt-trip us into donating a bunch more money; the documentary is simply showing a very real part of game development. If we were to give DF some more cash, I'm certain they'd appreciate it, but I'm also sure that they've already got a plan in place by now for how they're going to handle things (without asking the backers for more money).

I donated because I want a good game. If donating more will help I'll do it. I don't know if it'll be necessary though and I do like the idea of just making it with what's available - Limitations like that are the mother of innovation after all, but if the project really needs it I'll be happy to help out.

Yeah, I donated $15 as a backer. Now watching the development cycle, and that things are less of an unknown, I *know* I want to see this game be all it can be. I don't want a $15 game. I want a full-on $40 adventure game like back in the day. If donating more will help deliver a full-length adventure without compromise, instead of a $15 small indie-game/DLC sized game, I'd be happy pay a fair price for that.

I feel like now we're in this scenario where 47,000 people donated $15 because that was the cheapest option, thinking "this will get me an adventure game that I've always wanted!" Now I feel like we are part of the project and process. Look, if this game was announced by a publisher as a "classic point and click adventure by Tim Schafer" I would have pre-ordered for full price.

At least rally the community with a tracker page/goal and let us up our pledges!! I'd rather pay $40 for a full adventure game than $15 for a smaller and shorter adventure game "experiment"

TIM SCHAFER!! WE WANT TO GIVE YOU MORE MONEY!!

SO GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!! :)

But we don't want to randomly buy merch, steam sales, etc. Give us a track page with a goal and let the community rise up. Not to "save" a failed experiment that needed more money and couldn't execute on budget. We already know you can deliver with the current funding . But allow us to help YOU GUYS make US the game WE WANT... and WE don't want a shorter or "scaled back" game. I want it a full on, full length, high production value adventure game. Many of us have been waiting 15 some years for this!

Take our money! Take our money!

I'd donate but from a Project Management point of view, unless the added funds are in a single block and can be added soon they will not be able to help the project really.

If a coder or artist is added to the team they need to get up to speed and join the team now.

QA and testing budget can be added to till almost the end I guess. But a funding drive will be needed in January/Febuary in order to get another coder/middleware team member in and a paint monkey for bagel to direct for his old work load so Lee/Levi can check in with Bagel's concept art direction more effectively and not have to redo so much stuff.

I recommend (and would throw money @) a Double Finance Adventure and buy the team a round of drinks :)

Though extra $$ wouldn't just be to add new positions, it would be to buy time (salaries for the current team) to work longer. With a deadline pushed until fall 2013 that would also be enough time to bring new people on if needed.

I wonder if there are more talented people that would be more than willing to work for free or dirt cheap just to be a part of this? And offload some of the grunt work?

Yes a January funding drive would be great. Heck, start it tomorrow!

This is my first post on this forum but I am one of those $15 backers and actually I now kind of feel bad since I realize that this game is worth at least double the money I put in. So I WANT to give you guys more money, especially if it will help you to achieve your best. Give us a PayPal account or something, send us an e-mail about how to do that and presto!

I'd donate more / increase my pledge in a heartbeat. Not only do I have an immense amount of faith in the talented team at Double Fine, but this game means a lot to me personally - maybe more than a game ever has before. I know for a fact that many other backers feel the same, too.

That said, I don't think the point of the latest episode is to make us all feel bad and sort of guilt-trip us into donating a bunch more money; the documentary is simply showing a very real part of game development. If we were to give DF some more cash, I'm certain they'd appreciate it, but I'm also sure that they've already got a plan in place by now for how they're going to handle things (without asking the backers for more money).

My thoughts exactly. Well said. If Anything it the latest episode just got me more amped up! Viva La' REDS!

At the time of the Kickstarter, $15 was a reasonable price (or more accurately, a great deal) given what the anticipated scope of the project was. I couldn't have done more than $15 at the time either (despite wanting a backer t-shirt, sigh...) but now that we're much farther from that point I wouldn't hesitate to increase my donation specifically to REDs both because the funds are available to me but also because the (potentially) increased value of the final product.

And as others have mentioned as well, the documentary (which was an even more compelling idea at the time) has more than repaid my investment even if no game was ever released.

I wouldn’t give DF more money, because that is like rewarding failure…

Regardless of why they couldn’t, they had more than enough money and more than enough time to make an adventure game.

Having said that, I don’t blame anybody else that wants to give them more (though some aren’t being smart about the how).

And there’s as much skill in getting out of a rut as there is in avoiding getting into one in the first place, in other words if they come through in the end that’s all that matters, losing the battle but winning the war and all that.

You must also consider that I gave them more than the average backer, so there’s not much space to go in upping my pledge anyway.

But talking of which, I think a good idea to raise more money from existing Kickstarter backers, is for DF to do what other projects did and allow existing backers to move up a tier/s, and to make all digital rewards available to Slacker Backers.

I think that’s fair, though I don’t know how easy it will be to create more physical rewards because of it.

Yeah I hear what you're saying Arenegeth, especially since you pledged probably a lot more than most of us.

I guess I don't look at it as failure; like Tim and others have said, it's a normal part of the process. I think that if they didn't get another cent, they'd deliver a great product... So I don't see it as a failure because I think they will meet expectation and deliver.

I see it more as "hey... uhh... I and 47,000 others only gave $15, and this project is worth more to us than that. Now that we tangibly see the implications of us pledging a "fair" amount for the game, I'd be happy to step it up and pledge $30 instead if it means more content, more polish, etc... not to stop DF from failing (I believe that they will "handle it") but rather to make the game that much larger and better and reach full potential."

I don't think most of us care about other physical or even digital rewards. The reward is the game itself. Paying a total of $30 for this game, plus the doc, isn't much.

Though it does make me curious how they thought they had a chance of pulling off much of anything with only $400,000. The projected deficit of 1.2 million is 3x the original amount requested to make even the whole game. Has production value climbed that much, the scope grown that much? Or was the original vision just very, very small?

All I know is I think at this point, what most of us want and are happy to pledge for is a game that meets or exceeds the quality, length, production value, etc. of the all time LucasArts greats, including Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, Full Throttle, etc.

Though it does make me curious how they thought they had a chance of pulling off much of anything with only $400,000. The projected deficit of 1.2 million is 3x the original amount requested to make even the whole game. Has production value climbed that much, the scope grown that much? Or was the original vision just very, very small?

Remember that Tim stated that this is a normal part of the process and essentially was not an unexpected development. Granted, since we're seeing it happen many of us don't want to lose any of that potential greatness. Even if the budget was only the initial target of $300,000 (remember that $100,000 of that initial kickstarter target was due to 2PP instead), and so they had a smaller team and smaller scope, eventually they were still going to have to look at the project and say "Alright, so what is the most important things to keep versus what would we like to keep if possible?" It's just how it works...

I'd be happy to buy the boxed game with the documentary. When I first pledged, I didn't think that I would watch it, but I am! I'm sure that lots of people would want to upgrade their $15 pledges.

The need to increase the budget during development happens more often than it should in this industry, but is never supposed to happen, Publisher’s don’t approve x budget so they will end up increasing it to z at a later date, it defeats the whole point behind the word ‘budget’.

Usually though when the need arises, it is easier for a Publisher to increase the budget to get a decent game out the door for an eventual return in profits, than to release a sub-par game on the original budget and end up at a loss, and that reflects how some of the backers are feeling right now.

I know that many of you just want to support DF and this project, but blindly throwing money at them is not the way to do it, you unintentionally make them look like beggars asking for a handout or a charity case (when they didn’t ask for anything… yet) Not only that but if the press gets wind of it and wants to be venomous enough, you can see a headline tomorrow “Tim Schafer begs for more money” which will hurt the project and DF’s credibility to the general public.

Go on Steam and buy everything of DF’s you haven’t got already, go to their shop and order everything you want, get even more stuff and gift them to family members and friends, that is a legitimate way to support them.

Also Episode 7 was shot like 2 months ago, if by now they didn’t already have some plans to alleviate the situation and needed a direct shot of money from Backers they would have asked us, and created the scheme/webpage to do it.

Additionally, and I may get a bounty on my head for saying this, since the majority of the additional money is supposed to go to developer salaries, some DF members may be willing to work at a reduced salary rate (let’s say 10%) given that DF sounds like the perfect environment to work in, and that the future of the company depends on this project’s success, that wouldn’t be too much of a sacrifice to make is it?

The other thing is that DF could think of is downsizing (if I didn’t get a bounty before, I’ll get one now), not as much as a direct result to the state of this project but as a general attempt to be more competitive in a rather hostile environment for mid-size independent developers that started to be in the verge of extinction. Besides before the Kickstarter success it looked like the company was heading that way anyway.

I closing, I guess we all hope that in the end this project will live up to the admittedly high expectations we have for it, even if it means giving more for it, regardless of how this journey turns out, both DF and backers have made history, which may change the landscape of game development forever. (So no pressure ;))

I would donate again if there was one.

BUT.

I still feel like there shouldn't be another one.

I wouldn't. I can buy additional products, I payed for the prototypes of AF, but I won't up my pledge of $100.

Looks like about 2/3rds of the people here would be willing, perhaps even eager, to donate more money. Not to "bail out" double fine, but to fund a game we deeply care about and want to see produced with the largest scope and highest production value possible.

Now that there is a much clearer vision in place of what this game is, where it is going, and what needs to be done, etc. I think many of us would like to be part of the fundraising effort to close any needed gaps and brings the fullness of the Tim's vision to life!

For those of who want to help make this game more awesome, please give us an official avenue! We know you can handle it, and that the game would be great without any extra money, but we want to see it be even better... and I only pledged $15 for a game that I care at least $40 about!

After I donated on Kickstarter I have ended up purchasing several things from the Double Fine shop and Steam sales. My next purchase will obviously be The Cave, but after that I'm tapped out. I won't be donating further, but I will support Double Fine's other projects to help.

While I want the game to be successful, I feel like they already got the money they needed (and a lot more). It's unfortunate the scope and budget of the project got so out of hand. Kinda thought having the experience to avoid this problem this was why they got kickstarter money in the first place.

When I backed on Kickstarter, I had the intent to spend a lot more than I did, but couldn't due to what I had available to spend at the time. I am now available to give a bit more, and would love to.

As a supporter of DF, they'll see my money no matter what. I'll be buying the Cave. I'll be getting their games via Steam. I'll be buying stuff off the store. I am, what's the term? A fan boy.

I do, however, agree that necessity is the mother of invention. The best ideas can come out of needing to cut the scope of a project, and I hove no doubt that they will succeed. They've done it before.

If I can help any more than I have already, though, I will gladly do so.

I don't know if I would. This budgeting/scheduling thing they're going through is a very normal occurrence in game development and it likely would have happened regardless of how much they initially got. Making a video game is a creative process, and it's very hard to precisely create a budget and schedule for something like that, especially if the game is being made from scratch. A lot of people aren't aware of how common it is because developers usually just don't talk about it to the public, but overshooting then scaling back is often just how it goes.

I have been supporting DF my own way by buying their games and merchandise, and I know I'll be buying The Cave as soon as it's available for purchase.

I'd pay more IF it meant that I could get some sweet digital reward or something. I don't want to just pay more for nothing. I spent 50 dollars and think that's a pretty fair amount.

Maybe they could break it up into episodic games? I know I'd rather have a small, complete, awesome game that remains under budget than an epic that can't be completed without fundraising again.

I missed the KS campaign and got in as a slacker backer, so I'd love the chance to up my pledge and get more goodies. Honestly, I would up my pledge even without more goodies. Ive been enjoying then doc so much, the game will feel like a nifty bonus at this point.

Ever since the Kickstarter closed and the episodes have been coming out I've been kicking myself for not pledging $70 more to get me from the $30 tier to the $100 tier. Admittedly this is more for the rewards (the DVD/blu-ray and game disk really, rather than anything else) than the act of giving money to Double Fine, so if there were to be a 2nd fundraiser I would personally want it to be a build on the foundation of the money that was already given and to be able to achieve the rewards available from the Kickstater at the same levels.

I completely understand that this is most likely unfeasible and not in-line with what Double Fine or the community want to see happen, but I thought I would just put my two cents in. Thanks.

110$ is the most i ever spend on "a game" so i´ll not increase my pledge. I won´t mind it if there was a system that alowed other backers to do so though.

Double Fine offered me a a deal: $15 for a documentary plus the game when it came out. I paid a full year in advance without knowing exactly what DF was going to do. I am taking a risk that DF will make a kind of game I don't like. Double Fine is not a charity, they are a for-profit company. It is nice that DF wants to make the game super nice, and they want to increase the scope. This is the kind of thing that I hoped for when I made my $15 dollar investment in the beginning. I took the risk based on the reputation of DF. I feel absolutely zero obligation to give them more money for nothing. How does that incentivize DF to be efficient? I suppose DF would be within their rights to divide the game into two chapters, and say that my $15 only pays for chapter 1. This would make me less inclined to be a backer in the future. I took a risk and paid a full year (or more?) before the game came out, completely sight unseen. I would like to see some benefit for that risk.

Sign in to follow this