Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cleft

Permission

Hi, I know everyone sees like a million requests for this but I gotta ask, can I have permission to do a lets play of The Cave...pllleeeasse

I've been here for a long time and this is actually only the 2nd thread I've seen for something like this. I was wondering why you even had to ask, then remembered its published by Sega. So yeah...

I've been here for a long time and this is actually only the 2nd thread I've seen for something like this. I was wondering why you even had to ask, then remembered its published by Sega. So yeah...

Yeahhh I realized SEGA is who I have to ask....welp

Yeahhh I realized SEGA is who I have to ask....welp

From the about page:

Can I write a glowing feature, review, or preview about Double Fine or its games?

You sure can! Email our press contact address for any requests!

pr@doublefine.com

Taking xmuskrat's advice and contacting DF's PR email seems like a good idea. I think that DF is retaining the rights to The Cave, even though Sega is publishing, so I'm not sure if Sega would even be in a position to get grumpy and take action over a LP series.

Also, has a publisher/developer ever had a LP series taken down? It seems like it'd be a bad PR move on their part LPs have been a standard thing in gaming for a while now and, as far as many people are concerned, it's free advertising.

Heyo! I was also interested in doing some for of let's play on youtube. I've sent them an email and am currently waiting for a response, can anyone confirm if it is in fact necessary to get permission?

Let's plays kind of fall into the category of: "it's fine as long as we don't put a copyright strike on your channel" :P. Most video game companies endorse let's plays, since they're a form of advertising, but you never know. Also this is Sega of America, and the copyright claims were made by Sega of Japan relating an old JRPG, so you may be in the clear on that front, maybe a DF staffer can chime in?

Yea it'd be great if we could get a confirmed response. I was looking forward to posting about our Let's Play on the forums, and perhaps getting the community to vote for 2 different combinations of 3 characters to play since online co-op is out of the question! :P

Taking xmuskrat's advice and contacting DF's PR email seems like a good idea. I think that DF is retaining the rights to The Cave, even though Sega is publishing, so I'm not sure if Sega would even be in a position to get grumpy and take action over a LP series.

Also, has a publisher/developer ever had a LP series taken down? It seems like it'd be a bad PR move on their part LPs have been a standard thing in gaming for a while now and, as far as many people are concerned, it's free advertising.

Yes it has happened. And Sega is the one that did it.

http://www.destructoid.com/sega-forcing-removal-of-shining-force-videos-on-youtube-239581.phtml

Sign in to follow this