Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ALPHATT

Online Co-Op for PC or even Console release.

I understand that it's extra work to make an online compatible version, as well as the fact that it'd be a less intimate experience, but with third party voice packages on PC it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Maybe as a post launch patch?

I showed the trailer to a mate of mine...he seemed really interested in it but said he probably won't buy it unless it had online co-op.

Which is a shame that this game doesn't because I think it is an opportunity to get more sales. We don't live close enough together to get together and play local co-op. I hope that it can be done...at least for PC

Same situation for me, I mean we'll probably buy it for SP,(I already did, in fact), but it's kind of a missed opportunity.

I actually have 2 xbox controllers hooked up to my PC, technically I could do 3 man local Co-op, but if I meet 2 friends IRL, we go out, playing is reserved for when we're online.

I think it's really unfortunate that there are people that refuse to buy a game that doesn't have online multiplayer (and those people are missing out on some excellent single player games if they honestly refuse to buy anything that doesn't have online play). There also seems to be a lot of people that don't realize the amount of work that goes into making an online multiplayer experience both stable and enjoyable.

I imagine that online multiplayer just wasn't feasible with the budget Sega gave them, and it can be very difficult to shoehorn in an online system that functions well when a game has already been built from the ground up without one.

Yeah, that is sad, but not everyone is compelled by that. I'm looking forward to the SP portion personally, but I'm kind of missing out on the co-op offering, unless i force some less than apt players, to play the game with me locally.

On the business side of things, I too suspect that the budget is the culprit, when it comes to a lack of online co-op.

Also, while I love Double Fine, the empathy argument is just stupid. It may take more effort to make a online co-op, but some people expect that and it is highly justified that they are unwilling to buy it, in lieu of one. To make a game at all, is hard, but we expect nothing short of a great game. You see what I'm saying? The consumer should always have high expectations, it is up to the publisher and the developer to meet them.

With that said, I can't wait for the game to come out, and I'll enjoy the SP for all it's worth.

With limited resources it's a benefit if single player (local coop) games also focus on single player (local coop) game features/content again instead of wasting resources on adding maybe more half baked networking coop experiences.

Yep but unless you don't use some third party communication service (which then best needs to be available on the supported platforms as well) or play in a LAN it can get chaotic. Frozenbyte might have better invested more resources into riddle design, balancing and length of the game first.

I am saying that because there is a lack of online co-op my mate would rather download it illegally instead; because there is no incentive to buying it if he can get all the features from pirating it...

Yeah the CIS sentiment. Not much you can argue with there, it's his perogative what he pays for, on some level. A massive shame.

There is a slightly ghetto way of playing co-op online btw. The host player can stream their single player game, and you can just help him play the game, less involving, still fun.

Also, if anyone knows of a way to send input data to Windows remotely, then you could technically play that way, while watching the hosts stream for the actions, but most consumer level streaming sites and solutions will introduce lag that makes it less than fun.

If this had online co-op it would be a no-brainer purchase for me. But since it doesn't I probably won't get it unless it gets really good reviews.

Sorry.

I don't get this at all. Gilbert has finally made a new adventuregame that seems awesome and people won't buy it because there are no online multiplayer feature? You only play online frag feasts all day and are disappointed this isn't one of those? I'm totally clueless to this reasoning but maybe it's just me.

Yes but this isn't multi-player, this is online co-op. People are merely asking for an existing functionality, to include an on-line counterpart.

When online coop isn't an existing functionality, they first would have to develop it, best for all available platforms. It's also not the same like playing a game together in front of the same system due to the lack of proper communication, so you have to compensate this at least to a certain degree (by some third party tools). Once all this is working properly online coop can be an entertaining option when you are unable to enjoy a game more together.

Now some people might differ on what they expect from a new Ron Gilbert game, personally i'm fine with a great single player adventure experience already, but some statements in this thread are quite amusing, like intending to pirate the game or only buying it once it will get very good reviews (btw. you also shouldn't buy/play bad games if they come with a online coop) if it lacks online coop.

I would have sold my soul (maybe a part of it :o) for a new Ron Gilbert adventure.

Now it's almost there, it looks great, it's very affordable, ... and some focus on complaining about online coop which imo is nice to have but no deal breaker at all.

Poorly written and patronizing dismissals aside, it is odd not to include online functionality, since in fact this would not entail any changes to the puzzles and because lots of people who don't know or care much about Gilbert and/or DF's history will be put off by its omission. Sure, it's not a good reason to be put off, but it's still going to happen. I suppose it comes down to a calculation (which presumably they've made) of the relative gain or loss resulting from implementing such a feature versus the customers lost by not doing so. Personally I would think it's something to keep in mind for a later patch if sales are promising enough to warrant the effort.

Incidentally, Steam does have its own chat software in-built, as I think does the 360 - I was under the impression that that was the reason for Microsoft's now laughable insistence on charging for online functionality.

Poorly written and patronizing dismissals aside, it is odd not to include online functionality, since in fact this would not entail any changes to the puzzles and because lots of people who don't know or care much about Gilbert and/or DF's history will be put off by its omission. Sure, it's not a good reason to be put off, but it's still going to happen. I suppose it comes down to a calculation (which presumably they've made) of the relative gain or loss resulting from implementing such a feature versus the customers lost by not doing so. Personally I would think it's something to keep in mind for a later patch if sales are promising enough to warrant the effort.

Incidentally, Steam does have its own chat software in-built, as I think does the 360 - I was under the impression that that was the reason for Microsoft's now laughable insistence on charging for online functionality.

Sorry but everything I read how the current co-op implementation is that would never work online. There are no separate camera's when someone picks a new character the camera snaps to the latest player and more things like that. That would online work if you are sitting next to the person solving it together.

Sorry but everything I read how the current co-op implementation is that would never work online. There are no separate camera's when someone picks a new character the camera snaps to the latest player and more things like that. That would online work if you are sitting next to the person solving it together.

Oh well - thank you for a sensible reply at any rate. I couldn't really comment any further because I haven't looked into how the co-op works at all. What you describe sounds pretty stupid though - are you saying that in local co-op there's no split screen? How is that any different from just handing the controller to the person sitting next to you?

Edit: I'm sure I must have misunderstood you - but if I did then I'm afraid I don't quite understand where the problem is. Has anyone here played Trine 2's online coop? How does that work?

Actually it kinda does. It's less than satisfactory, but Magicka has online co-op and uses a single camera setup that is synced across all clients and is handled by the master camera, dragged around by the host(this is not limited to the host either, whatever master camera solution you have for your local co-op can be adapted to online).

I completely understood the notion of the intimate, kind of puzzle solving fun element to begin with, where you do more thinking together than actually running around, but I feel that skype and teamspeak and other 3rd party voice solutions accomodate this well enough to come close to the physical experience.

Oh well - thank you for a sensible reply at any rate. I couldn't really comment any further because I haven't looked into how the co-op works at all. What you describe sounds pretty stupid though - are you saying that in local co-op there's no split screen? How is that any different from just handing the controller to the person sitting next to you?

Edit: I'm sure I must have misunderstood you - but if I did then I'm afraid I don't quite understand where the problem is. Has anyone here played Trine 2's online coop? How does that work?

Yes no split screen well actually ron said it will feel precisely like handing the controller over to the other person only thing that you can walk 1/2 other character in the current screen with the player that has camera. He wanted to have that feeling when 2/3 people are playing an adventure and they give each other tips and take control over from each other when they think they know how to solve it.

It takes a fair bit of work creating good net code and I think he didn't want random people playing with each other because that would give a bad experience.

Well personally I'm glad for the excuse not to bother with the coop, then, but really that is some embarrassingly poor design.

Edit: seems like, seems like - sorry, hard not to let my arrogance get the better of me.

Well personally I'm glad for the excuse not to bother with the coop, then, but really that is some embarrassingly poor design.

Edit: seems like, seems like - sorry, hard not to let my arrogance get the better of me.

Think it brings very little for the amount of production costs. Adding multiple controllers multiplayer is easy at most few days programming work. Adding full net code + multiplayer support would cost allot extra.

I can see the advantage from the programmers' perspective, sure, I just mean that from the user's perspective it's virtually pointless, and could easily seem irritating and almost misleading if you'd been looking forward to playing it coop. Maybe a lot of the puzzles can be done with all the characters on the same screen? I suppose it could still cut down on tedium if you don't have to make all your characters catch up with each other yourself, though again not having to pass the controller here seems like a worthless convenience.

Sign in to follow this