Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

DF Game Club Survey & Fav Game Poll (with results!)

actually might be cool to own a legit boxed copy, loved those old huge fully inked things, and I'm sad I couldn't splurge on the DFA box when I had the chance (no Paypal yet, but otherwise - ) It'd be even more awesome if it still had all the manuals and tit.

Oh you were actually right about the Sony thing. With all that said, Discworld seems to have been forgotten. The ESA enforcement is actually a direct result of the attitude of the rights holder. There's many licenses involved Discworld itself. I don't see a re-release of any of these games ever, unless a third party would hunt down all potential rights holders and licensors etc.

40 USD is pretty decent for a used boxed copy of a 90s game, but with GOG.com around that is pretty insulting. For the future though, I'll leave the aquistion of games up to the participants, since it understandably raised some eyebrows, when we people talk about psuedo-illegal stuff.

I actually try to stay religiously legal with entertainment consumption, even though I find judging piracy really hard, especially living in central/eastern Europe. However, there's a point where things get slightly unreasonable. Hell, I'm not even sure if eBaying games is technically legal. I remember that many cd-rom games had a disclaimer on the disc saying that it is not for lease or resale.

Oh and for the record, the ESA protected list is based on facts. The esa will never hunt down individual users that download abandonware. The way Abandonia determies this status, is that whenever they post a game, and recieve a DMCA takedown from the ESA, they tag the game as protected, and refuse downloads. Abandonia went without recieving a single cease and desist, since they've put these failsafes in place.

I don't have an opinion on Discworld etc but I'm a bit disappointed that noone heard about the Game Club through a fiend. ;)

I think I would be interested in streaming Gray Matter later on.

I don't have an opinion on Discworld etc but I'm a bit disappointed that noone heard about the Game Club

I tried to tell someone who had done the exact same thing (same game - Police Quest, same idea/concept/whatever) and asked him if he'd had the idea from us ovah heyah. but yeah it was just some epic coincidence, unless he was shitting me, which, let's face it, everyone shits with me. That being said, he didn't bite - as far as I know he's no DF fan and has yet to join. So yeah, missing out there walkin' dude.

NOTE: He was informed post survey results, so who knows?

I'm a bit disappointed that noone heard about the Game Club through a fiend. ;)

Yeah, I have no idea what the people who heard about it from me put in there.

Alrighty people, we're nearing the end of Culture Shock. We need to make some decisions about where we want to go.

I still thing the week on/week off thing is going to be easier on our streamers, though it would make it harder to communicate what we're doing at any given point in time.

I've been thinking that Psychonauts should probably be our first "non-adventure" title and then we can ease into whatever comes next following on from that. It's also a long enough game to force us to work out exactly what approach we're going to take with longer games (I'm still leaning towards having the streamer play through highlights so that we can keep games down to three or four sessions).

Alphatt seemed keen to do The Last Express, so we should probably look towards that as our next adventure title. Are you still up for that, Alphatt?

How does everyone else feel at this point?

Here's a list of adventure games that I'd be most excited to see us play in the short term (mostly taken from the survey results):

* The Dig

* Discworld Noir

* Monkey 3

* Back To The Future

For non-adventure titles, I'd be keen on:

* Psychonauts

* Another World

* Braid

* Portal

Alrighty, so it seems like we're going to finish up a session earlier than I'd planned with Sam & Max. Syd's suggesting we should slot Portal in to fill the gap before Alphatt starts The Last Express, and I think that might be a good, short way to test the water.

If it's possible to get The Dig somewhere I could stream that.

The Dig is on Steam for $5. I'm not sure if it's available anywhere else.

It's one of the few LucasArts adventures that actually got re-released digitally.

I'd rather not buy it from Steam, but if there's nowhere else to get it...

Wish more of Lucasarts games were re-released.

Someone on the internet has written a script that lets you de-obfuscate the games in that Steam bundle* in order to play them with ScummVM. If it's a matter of not wanting to play it with Steam, and not reluctance to buy anything on Steam that might be an option. Of course it would still require you to install the client to download the games.

I did just that and started playing The Dig on my Android phone. I was never able to complete it on the phone though, since I'd forgotten that that particular game requires a certain type of input that isn't supported on the Android version of ScummVM.

EDIT: *I'm referring to the LucasArts Adventure pack. I don't think the games were available separately when I bought it a couple of years ago.

Those few adventures were supposed to be just the beginning of LucasArts' old adventure game catalog being re-released digitally...

...but then Darrell Rodriguez stepped down. As soon as he was gone, LucasArts resumed their old habit of totally ignoring the existence of those games.

@Syd

yeah i kind of remember this now

i'd forgotten, yeah it was actually featured on mojo back in the day

rodriguez acknowledged and supported the back catalog, he also made that platforming game which was really cool, that same guy who rerecroded the MI OSTs (Jesse Harlin) made the original score with another guy

Rod could have turned it around, built it back up from ground level

interim company leaders have razed it back down; also Disney is focusing on small facebook style social/casual games

they understand talent for film, but games being kept in the realm of quick'n'easy profit margins is preferable (for readily apparent reasons)

Someone on the internet has written a script that lets you de-obfuscate the games in that Steam bundle* in order to play them with ScummVM. If it's a matter of not wanting to play it with Steam, and not reluctance to buy anything on Steam that might be an option. Of course it would still require you to install the client to download the games.

I did just that and started playing The Dig on my Android phone. I was never able to complete it on the phone though, since I'd forgotten that that particular game requires a certain type of input that isn't supported on the Android version of ScummVM.

EDIT: *I'm referring to the LucasArts Adventure pack. I don't think the games were available separately when I bought it a couple of years ago.

Wow, that's a nice bundle. Almost makes me want to use Steam to buy it.

i wonder if LA (or even valve) would ever sanction a rerelease of said bundle to a small indie distributor, like FF games

i wonder if LA (or even valve) would ever sanction a rerelease of said bundle to a small indie distributor, like FF games

I think that's very unlikely. I hadn't even heard about it before you mentioned it and had to Google it. Isn't it just a bunch of free flash games?

I think that's very unlikely. I hadn't even heard about it before you mentioned it and had to Google it. Isn't it just a bunch of free flash games?

uh - no?

these are the real deal apparently. tho I have not played this release

it is possible they used some (un)credited ScummVM code, or just found a way to make the games retrocompatible within Steam

tbh I remember when this was featured quite prominently on mojo, now

but it's fallen by the wayside, people don't realize or appreciate that back then LA under Rodrigguez was making steps in the right direction

we might have seen Kotor 3 (non MMO), or even a proper release of 1313 or its Republic Commando equivalent

oh what might have been

I was talking about FF games. I've played all the games in the Steam bundle and they're definitely the real deal.

It would be nice if they would but don't think they would bother with small distributors unfortunately.

I think that’s very unlikely. I hadn’t even heard about it before you mentioned it and had to Google it. Isn’t it just a bunch of free flash games?

FF Games (FireFlower Games) is my site and there're no flash games there. Check my signature. :)

I think that’s very unlikely. I hadn’t even heard about it before you mentioned it and had to Google it. Isn’t it just a bunch of free flash games?

FF Games (FireFlower Games) is my site and there're no flash games there. Check my signature. :)

Ah, I didn't know about your site. I was referring to www.ff-games.net, which was the first hit Google turned up on the search "ff games".

By the way, is Seduce Me any good?

ah sorry for the mixup guys

yeah makes sense that ff games would get a hit for either crappy flash games or the final fantasy series

thought Firefly would be known here by that acronym maybe

anyway

not all flash games are bad!

here's a great music one, I'd like to see DF try their hand at this (the happy song prototype definitely fits the bill, more of that please!)

http://www.reallybored.net/games/punk-o-matic_music_creator

also

ff II (4 really) is easily playable in browser or via emu (mostly legal if you own the console and cart) and it's my personal favourite

Ah, I didn't know about your site. I was referring to www.ff-games.net, which was the first hit Google turned up on the search "ff games".

By the way, is Seduce Me any good?

No worries.

Seduce Me: Depends on what you like; it got nudity/sex, card games and nice looking handdrawn backgrounds and characters.

Ah, since I had "smart" notifications on and one of the forum emails wound up in my spam folder, I'd totally missed that this thread had had any attention at all (here I was thinking that nobody wanted to talk about/be involved in what we played).

I was discussing with Syd earlier that in light of LucasArts' official closure, it might be worth lining up a couple of LA titles to play once we finish with The Last Express.

Syd's suggested Loom, and we've also talked about MI2, and The Dig.

Anybody else got any thoughts? I'm kinda feeling like Loom might be a good one to move onto next.

They're all good, but I agree that Loom is a good choice. It's probably the one with the least exposure and it's pretty unique interface wise.

As mentioned before, both Loom and The Dig from Steam can be tweaked to work with ScummVM and so are well supported on most platforms. The Dig can't be finished on touch devices due to a certain required interaction though.

Loom seems like a good choice. Haven't played that for probably 20 years.

The Dig and MI2 would also be nice.

I won't be streaming them though unless they're available somewhere else but Steam, which they're not at the moment.

I won't be streaming them though unless they're available somewhere else but Steam, which they're not at the moment.

Might be waiting a long time for that, as I can't say that I'm confident that Disney will treat those games any better than LucasArts did.

At least physical copies seem to go for pretty reasonable prices on the internet.

Sign in to follow this