Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

DF Game Club Survey & Fav Game Poll (with results!)

I won't be streaming them though unless they're available somewhere else but Steam, which they're not at the moment.

Looking a little farther ahead then, is there something you would be keen to stream?

Edit: Syd and I have just been chatting about the idea of trying to do a few LucasArts titles in a row to commemorate its passing.

We're going to see who we can line up for MI2 and maybe The Dig :)

I've had my eyes on Gray Matter for a while if I can find it for a good price somewhere. The Longest Journey, Syberia 1 or 2 or Kentucky Route Zero might be other options. But I'm open to other suggestions as well.

I'm moving to a new city in a month so might be best for me to wait until I've settled in there until I do some streaming anyway.

A couple of Lucasarts titles in a row sounds like a good idea by the way.

Looks like I'll probably be handling both Loom and Monkey Island 2. I'm not sure what we'll be doing after those two games are finished up, though.

I've had my eyes on Gray Matter for a while if I can find it for a good price somewhere. The Longest Journey, Syberia 1 or 2 or Kentucky Route Zero might be other options. But I'm open to other suggestions as well.

I'm moving to a new city in a month so might be best for me to wait until I've settled in there until I do some streaming anyway.

A couple of Lucasarts titles in a row sounds like a good idea by the way.

I played through Kentucky Route Zero the other day and thought it was amazing. I think we should still aim to do what we can from the survey responses as well (Loom and Monkey 2 fit in there as well, which is nice).

I also got an email from Ron, who said he'd be happy to join us for MI2 :D

Nice to have Ron with us again. :)

Maybe we could stream the new Leisure Suit Larry once it's released and maybe get Josh to join us again.

And if we would play The Journey Down 2 maybe get Theodor Waern and/or Henrik Englund to join us.

Maybe we could stream the new Leisure Suit Larry once it's released and maybe get Josh to join us again.

And if we would play The Journey Down 2 maybe get Theodor Waern and/or Henrik Englund to join us.

Yeah, I think we'll probably do both of those (definitely TJD - I'm not the best person to be deciding on LSL though).

From what I understand, Josh was involved with Fester Mudd, so we'll probably end up getting him back before LSL is released :)

In a disappointing turn of events, we had to run this week's game club session without a stream (which in itself isn't a bad thing, but not having any notice or even being told that there were problems made things pretty difficult).

This highlights the need for making sure that we have good fallback plans, and perhaps more importantly, good communication. When we all know what's going on, we can all work better together.

Over the past week or so, I've been working on a Guide To Game Club (with input from Syd), which I hope will help us all get on the same wavelength and make sure there are fewer gaps in expectations.

Hey guys

Here's a draft of the rating system I've been putting together (with some feedback from lietu in IRC and Mimness). The idea is that people can give each item a rating from 0 to 10 to make a combined score out of 50 along with an indication of whether or not they completed the game. In brackets are some suggestions of things that are worth taking into consideration when giving a rating for that item.

* Story (pacing, depth, characterisation, world/environemnt, etc.)

* Usability (input device support, learning curve, intuitiveness, accessibility, etc.)

* Gameplay (difficulty, variety vs consistency, soundness and execution of mechanics, how gameplay fits with the presentation of the game, etc.)

* Assets (music, voice, visual style, animation, foley, production values, consistency, etc.)

* Impact (lastability/timelessness, overall enjoyability, immersion, replayability, etc.)

So, a rating might look like so:

Completed: No

Story: 7, Usability: 4, Gameplay: 9, Assets: 6, Impact: 4

Overall: 30

I chose to give this game a 4 on usability because the game isn't colour blind friendly and that made the game very difficult for me to play. I gave impact a 4 because scores aren't kept between plays, which makes replayability poor.

The game has some great mechanics though (particularly the steering in the driving mechanics, which are unique in this genre).

or

Story: 7

Usability: 4 (not colour blind friendly)

Gameplay: 9 (super sweet driving mechanics)

Assets: 6

Impact: 4 (low replayability due to no score tracking)

Overall: 30

Completed: No

The hope is that this will drive further critiquing and discussion as people talk about and justify their ratings.

Any thoughts on this? It'd be good to trial it before Monkey 2 finishes :)

That's a nice idea! Here's my suggestions...

I think "Assets" should be divided into: audio, graphics and script. That way it's all more defined.

"Impact" is also too generic I'd say, it would be better to reduce it to simply "replayability".

Apart from those, it's ok for me. :)

From what I understand, Josh was involved with Fester Mudd, so we'll probably end up getting him back before LSL is released :)

Yeah, he helped a bit with the writing. There's an interview with Josh where he talks about his involvement with Fester Mudd. I thought I'd seen it mentioned here before, but I might be wrong.

I like the proposed rating scheme. As suggested it might make sense to separate audio, visuals and script, but I don't know if the extra categories might make it too much of an effort for some to bother with.

Yeah, I think that having 7 items to rate instead of 5 would make it less accessible to people (I'm concerned that 5 may even be too many). The idea is that being general encourages people to talk about why they've chosen to make specific choices rather than have the numbers speak for everything.

I worry that "Replayability" is a bit narrow (since we want people to consider other subjective issues beyond just replayability)

So, is the idea to just write as many ratings as we wish of previously played GC titles in this thread?

I worry that "Replayability" is a bit narrow (since we want people to consider other subjective issues beyond just replayability)

I think a good example of this, at least to me, is To The Moon. If I were to give it a replayability rating, I might give it a 2 or 3. There's a good chance I'll play through it again sometime in a few years, but there isn't really much to do in the game once you've played through it once. I'd still say it's a 10 impact wise though, as it really struck me emotionally like no game has done before it.

So, is the idea to just write as many ratings as we wish of previously played GC titles in this thread?

The idea will be to get people to pop their own ratings for each game we play in that game's thread (and hopefully drive more discussion there) as well as in IRC when it's relevant

I think a good example of this, at least to me, is To The Moon. If I were to give it a replayability rating, I might give it a 2 or 3. There's a good chance I'll play through it again sometime in a few years, but there isn't really much to do in the game once you've played through it once. I'd still say it's a 10 impact wise though, as it really struck me emotionally like no game has done before it.

Right - we wouldn't want somebody using just replayabiltiy to represent their subjective value of the game.

But isn't "Impact" just another way to say "overall rating"? I doubt a game with high ratings would have a low impact on someone, even if it may not be strictly emotional.

But isn't "Impact" just another way to say "overall rating"? I doubt a game with high ratings would have a low impact on someone, even if it may not be strictly emotional.

No, impact (of whatever we end up calling it) is measuring how it touched you on a personal level, how much you connected with it, how immersive it felt, if you like it, but can't really identify why - things that are more subjective and less quantifiable than the others.

There are plenty of games that I love, but have awful, awful gameplay and production values. There are also games that I can recognise excel from a technical standpoint which I just don't find engaging).

It's been a long time since we've had a session for a Sam and Max episode. Let's do one for Situation: Comedy next!

BTW, thank you for the suggestion in chat to use this thread!

It's been a long time since we've had a session for a Sam and Max episode. Let's do one for Situation: Comedy next!

BTW, thank you for the suggestion in chat to use this thread!

I feel like Culture Shock was pretty recent (MI2 was the third title since that one), but I'm keen to revisit them as well. Emily said she'd like to join, as did Nick Herman. I reckon we can probably get Jake back as well.

I haven't had any luck chasing down Steve, but I'll continue trying.

We're already liked up to do Gravity Bone and 30 FOL next, but I think we could hop into Situation Comedy after that, and then maybe do The Dig?

I'll see whether Jake, Emily and Nick are available.

Edit: Oh, I'd also shot off emails to Brian Moriarty and Bill Tiller last week to see if they'd be interested in joining us for a playthrough of The Dig (tentatively scheduled to start on the 1st of June, but we could push that back - Brian has declined and I haven't yet heard back from Bill).

Like I said in last session, for a non-adventure playthrough I suggest a Commander Keen episode, and if possible it would be cool to invite Tom Hall to join us!

Like I said in last session, for a non-adventure playthrough I suggest a Commander Keen episode, and if possible it would be cool to invite Tom Hall to join us!

That could be cool. I haven't touched a Commander Keen game in a long, long time. Any idea how long it'd take to play through an episode?

I haven't had any luck chasing down Steve, but I'll continue trying.

Could Jake help you with this?

Hmm, a good question (and suggestion)! So far I've contacted Job and Laura, neither of whom responded (but had corresponded with me in the past). I'll see what I can find ^_^

That could be cool. I haven't touched a Commander Keen game in a long, long time. Any idea how long it'd take to play through an episode?

Depends on the episode and if one wants to do all the levels or not, but I'd say even the longest episodes shouldn't take over an hour if the player doesn't fool around. :)

Hey everyone!

So I'm going to be helping out with future streams, and I have a few suggestions of games I can (and would like) to stream.

First is any of the Humongous Games. Personally I'd love to do Pajama Sam 1 or 2 since they're my personal childhood favorites, but I'm open to other suggestions like Spy Fox, Putt Putt, or even Blues Clues Treasure Hunt.

Second is Cloud, and it is available for free legal download here:http://interactive.usc.edu/projects/cloud/downloadcloud.htm

(note that this is a pc game so it won't run on mac or linux).

It was made as a college project by many of the people who would go on to form thatgamecompany (know for Flow, Flower, and Flowest... I mean Journey ;-D). It's one of my favourite free games, and it is definitely worth checking out if you can play the game.

Third is Earthbound (possibly the patched version that undoes some of the localization changes such as in Magicant). This game is a little bit more problematic because of its length. However, one idea I had would be to play the patched version of just the Magicant section on its own, since it by itself is interesting even with little knowledge of the rest of the game. Other than the ending (which I would not want to play since it would be major spoilers), Magicant is a great section of the game that I could easily play by itself. I've also talked to cheeseness about possible doing a lets play separate from the site for earthbound, and saving key moments for the club (such as Magicant). I've also considered doing the opening to mother 3, since it has a certain part near the begining does a good job of setting the mood for the whole game.

Third is the Double Fine Games that haven't been shown yet and are available for pc. I am getting a higher end gaming pc this summer, so I should be able to play and stream any of their games.

Fourth is any of the telltale games that haven't had streams yet. I got the Telltale bundle, so I can already play any of the ones that were included. I can even play the Walking Dead, one of the games that has already been suggested. However, if I do play it, it will need to be after i get my new pc since i'm not sure if my computer would be able to stream it at full graphics or not.

Fifth is flash games. There are many great flash games out there that I would love to play. This includes anything in the Basement Collection, anything featured here: http://www.casualgirlgamer.com/articles/entry/22/Ten-games-that-make-you-think-about-life/ and any of my other favourites game http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/Permafry_42/favorites

Sixth is... well, anything on my steam library http://steamcommunity.com/id/Permafry_42/games?tab=all

Some of my favourite games include Antichamber, Bastion, World of Goo, Thomas Was Alone, Alice Madness Returns, anything made by valve (Especially Portal) etc.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'd also love to play Dear Esther, System Shock 2, Bioshock 1 and/or Infinite, and Stanley's Parable (once the updated version comes out).

I'm also open to any other game suggestions, so please let me know what you'd like me to play!

So I'm going to be helping out with future streams, and I have a few suggestions of games I can (and would like) to stream.

Awesome awesome!

We've already played Portal (I really need to make a thread with links to everything we've done so far), though there's potentially scope for a "replay" down the track if there's enough interest.

Syd's got dibs on doing a couple of the Double Fine titles, and there are one or two that I wouldn't mind tackling, so we'll probably want to discuss amongst ourselves who's the best person to do what as we approach them.

I think doing a Humongous game soon would be pretty nice.

We're doing S&M:S:C at the moment, which has one week left in it. Since I'm behind in a few other things, it'd be easierfor me if I could take a little time off from streaming after next week, but I'd be happy to slot something in to work around others (I know that Syd deserves a break, and Fireflower needed some time before streaming again).

There are also some newer adventure titles that I'm keen to see us take a peek at (Kentucky Route Zero, Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold), and as we continue branching out in to non-adventure titles, I've been thinking that some small stuff like Solar 2 and Another World would be accessible without significant changes to our current format.

If we could find somebody who was good at Receiver to stream it (I suck immensely), I'd be interested in seeing us do a session on that - I reckon we could probably rope in Aubrey without too much hassle.

I must say, it's great to finally "attend" one of these DF Game Club sessions. Had a great time, only downside was my internet (shared with a large group of people) ran like absolute rubbish. I'm planning sometime down the track, when I have the spare cash. To get my own internet connection (maybe give this new NBN that everyone is talking about a crack) When that happens I don't mind helping out with some stream every now and again. But that's a long ways off.

The list from the survey is very impressive and would love to see all those games get streamed.

Here is some more indie love that could be good to add to the ever growing list (Games I've come across that I've enjoyed)

The Cat Lady: http://www.thecatlady.co.uk/ /($9.99)

The Bum: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1673/ (Free)

Cart Life: http://www.richardhofmeier.com/cartlife/ (Free version - $5 version; Includes soundtrack and extra playable character - Plus a $30 Special Edition with other goodies)

Cognition: http://www.postudios.com/cognition/ (4-Part series - $9.95 for one episode - $29.95 for Season Pass)

Blackwell Series: http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/ (4 Part series, with a new one in the works - First 3 games you can get for $14.95 and the latest in the series Blackwell Deception for $9.95)

So if you haven't checked those games out, I recommend checking them out. Enjoying them plenty.

Keep up the good work guys, I'll see you all next week!

EDIT: I forgot to add... We don't have to always play good games, we could always dabble in the corny or laughable bad games very now and again.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to drink alot of coffee and do some washing as my clothes are starting to smell a tad icky

When that happens I don't mind helping out with some stream every now and again. But that's a long ways off.

Neat. The more keen streamers we have, the more stuff we can do. Right now, we're so light handed that we really can only do what individual streamers are interested in doing (to maintain enthusiasm, we felt it would be best to let people do what they're personally excited for), so we tend to do less "bad" stuff (that's entirely subjective though - we've done games that I haven't thought that much of, and I know that I'm more excited about some stuff than other people!).

Here is some more indie love that could be good to add to the ever growing list (Games I've come across that I've enjoyed)

You know, I think we're going to have to move the list somewhere more maintainable eventually. We could shove it up on the wiki for the github account that we have for the Game Club site. Anybody got any thoughts?

I think I found a fantastic "game" to have game club do at some point down the road. Sleep Is Death

http://sleepisdeath.net/

It's a really interesting experimental indie "game" that is all about getting the host and the player to create and play a story together. This can be done either on the spot, or be preplanned out in advance.

The only problem I could see is that we would need to find 2 people who have some talent at story telling. But since we all seem to be a creative bunch, I don't think this should be a problem so long as we plan in advance the general ideas we have for the story.

It's a game that can be played on PC Mac, and Linux, meaning that everyone would be able to play it if they wanted to. It's pay what you want starting at $1.75 for 2 copies of the game, so it should be easily affordable for people who want to try it before we play it.

So what do you guys think?

I think I found a fantastic "game" to have game club do at some point down the road. Sleep Is Death

http://sleepisdeath.net/

I've peripherally glanced at that game, but never had time to really give it much attention. The idea of covering it via Game Club and having some degree of interactivity with everybody in IRC sounds pretty neat. It feels like it'd be something that would need some preparation/pre-planning as it moves a little beyond the sorts of things we're used to doing.

Anybody keen on us doing Broken Sword? It'd be neat to start it whilst the current Humble Bundle was running if we did.

Edit: Mim says she's interested in Broken Sword, so we'll jump onto that next and use the intervening time to plan ahead a bit more :)

Sign in to follow this