Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

DF Game Club Survey & Fav Game Poll (with results!)

Stream suggestion: Souvenir. It's a free first-person "art" game made by a couple of students. Quite short, think it can be done in one session. http://souvenirgame.com/

Nice recommendation, and I'll make sure to play the game once I find the spare time. However, Linux users aren't able to play the game since there's no Linux version, so it may be hard to get some of our members to play the game unfortunately.

Alrighty, so we need to make some decisions. Mim and I are heading off to PAX to hang out with Ron, so we'll be finishing up with Broken Sword this coming weekend.

Since Ron will be over here in Ozralia, I'd suggest that we don't do anything he's worked on.

Syd is potentially up for streaming more Sam & Max. I'd also be keen to see us do the first act of Kentucky Route Zero soon (we need some notice to invite devs though if we want to invite devs). I guess what we need more than game suggestions is people volunteering to stream stuff - the list of stuff we could do is massive, it's just a matter of identifying what we want to/can stream and who's willing to do it.

So, who's up for what? :D

Alrighty, so we need to make some decisions. Mim and I are heading off to PAX to hang out with Ron, so we'll be finishing up with Broken Sword this coming weekend.

Since Ron will be over here in Ozralia, I'd suggest that we don't do anything he's worked on.

Syd is potentially up for streaming more Sam & Max. I'd also be keen to see us do the first act of Kentucky Route Zero soon (we need some notice to invite devs though if we want to invite devs). I guess what we need more than game suggestions is people volunteering to stream stuff - the list of stuff we could do is massive, it's just a matter of identifying what we want to/can stream and who's willing to do it.

So, who's up for what? :D

I should be free to stream for the next couple months, so just talk with me on steam and we'll be able to figure out a day I can stream something.

I should be free to stream for the next couple months, so just talk with me on steam and we'll be able to figure out a day I can stream something.

I think at this point we need to work out what's doable and then look at scheduling - ideally we need to be organised 3+ games ahead so that we can be flexible and shuffle things around and still have an idea of what we'd be doing after that. At the moment everything is seat of the pants, and I've got a pretty strong suspicion that if I hit by a bus tomorrow and dropped off the planet, Game Club would suffer, and that's something I'd like to see us work/plan to avoid.

I don't want to come across as cranky or demanding. It's just that next week, I'll have been holding the reins (with the awesome support of you lovely people) for a year and I really want to make sure that Game Club ends up as Game Club, not Cheese Club.

Yeah, I'd be up for some more Sam & Max. Another game I've considered doing is the first Simon the Sorcerer, though that'd be a longer game which would probably take about 3 sessions.

I've also had Curse of Monkey Island sitting on the backburner, but I'd like to make sure that we got a guest in for that one, possibly Dominic Armato (Guybrush's voice actor).

I could probably stream Souvenir later on or any other one session game. It's a bit difficult for me to commit to more than one session streams at the moment. I'm also not sure I feel completely comfortable with the new streaming program (OBS) yet...

I'm up for streaming any Telltale Games (preferably the ones that were a part of the telltale bundle since I don't have any others) or any Humongous Entertainment games (Pj sam 2 and 3 would be preferable since they're my favourites). I'm also up for any valve game or double fine game once I get my gaming pc and build it (I'm waiting till black friday so i can get some parts on sale). I'd also enjoy playing scribblenauts unlimited, though I'd have to see if my laptop can handle streaming and running the game. Any other suggestions for a game you guys would want be to stream that is a pc game?

My list of games I own is here if you want to see which games I have to see if there's any you'd want me to stream:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Permafry_42/games?tab=all

OK, so how about this?

July 20th: Finish up with Broken Sword (Mim)

July 27th: Sam & Max: The Mole, the Mob, and the Meatball (Syd)

August 3rd: Sam & Max: The Mole, the Mob, and the Meatball (Syd)

August 10th: PJ Sam 2 (Permafry)

August 17th: Simon the Sorcerer (Syd)

August 24th: Simon the Sorcerer (Syd)

August 31th: Simon the Sorcerer (Syd)

September 7th: Kentucky Route 0 Act 1 (Cheese?)

September 14th: Kentucky Route 0 Act 1 (Cheese?)

Then perhaps look towards The Journey Down (if it's out, of course)?

OK, so how about this?

July 20th: Finish up with Broken Sword (Mim)

July 27th: Sam & Max: The Mole, the Mob, and the Meatball (Syd)

August 3rd: Sam & Max: The Mole, the Mob, and the Meatball (Syd)

August 10th: PJ Sam 2 (Permafry)

August 31th: Simon the Sorcerer (Syd)

September 14th: Kentucky Route 0 Act 1 (Cheese?)

Then perhaps look towards The Journey Down (if it's out, of course)?

Sounds good to me! I should be free August 10 to stream, and if not I'm sure you'll have at least a week's notice. Though depending on the timing I could also do pj sam 3 after simon the sorcerer. It would depend on whether I am doing anything that weekend though, so we'll have to wait and see whether anything comes up that might get in the way of it.

Also I just played the steam and xbl indie game DLC Quest, and this that it would be a good game to do.

Edit: Here's the trailer for the game:

Alrighty, so I messed up those dates >_<

Let's try that again!

August 3th: PJ Sam 2 (Permafry)

August 10th: Simon the Sorcerer (Syd)

August 31st: Kentucky Route 0 Act 1 (Cheese?)

How are you planning on playing KR0? Just play through the main storyline or explore as much as possible?

I played through the two available acts about a week ago, but I didn't know there was so much to discover in the game going in, so I missed a lot of that stuff. I'll definitely play through it again when more acts are released, but I wouldn't mind spoiling it for myself through game club in the meantime, since I already know about the main story. Can't say for sure I'll be able to attend game club those days though.

Oh, and it's a definite must play for all fans of adventure. It has this amazing mood and sense of wonder to it that you don't really find in many games.

How are you planning on playing KR0? Just play through the main storyline or explore as much as possible?

I played through the two available acts about a week ago, but I didn't know there was so much to discover in the game going in, so I missed a lot of that stuff. I'll definitely play through it again when more acts are released, but I wouldn't mind spoiling it for myself through game club in the meantime, since I already know about the main story. Can't say for sure I'll be able to attend game club those days though.

Oh, and it's a definite must play for all fans of adventure. It has this amazing mood and sense of wonder to it that you don't really find in many games.

We'll probably just go through the first act and explore a bit, I think :)

Sounds like we might be getting some developers joining us as well :D

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention it in here, but Greg suggested we should do The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief at some stage.

Permafry said he might be up for streaming that one. Perhaps we should pop (and by pop, I mean push) it onto the queue after KR0?

It's always cool when some of the developers join in on the streaming.

I've had The Raven on my Steam wishlist for a while, but didn't end up getting it during the summer sale, since I got so many other games. I'm definitely interested in that one, since I liked The Book of Unwritten Tales. Linux support is also a major plus in my book.

So in addition to the Raven, I suggest that we at some point do:

Gone Home: http://www.gonehomegame.com/

(a game I'm personally really looking forwards to playing =D)

Passage: http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/passage/

Fez:

(Not me since I'm always getting lost when I play it)

Alan Wake (and american nightmare as well): http://www.alanwake.com/

(I usually describe it's story as a huge Stephen King fan fiction done right =D)

The Witness

(Made by Johnathan Blow, the maker of Braid. Incidentally I'd love to stream a playthrough of that game as well)

Any thoughts and suggestions?

Edit: Also, since both of these games are great experiments into exploration-based gameplay, I also recommend we do Dear Esther and Proteus at some point. Also pj sam 3, but I'd prefer to wait on playing that one untill we can get someone who worked on the game to join the stream and talk more about what it was like working at humongous entertainment.

Is The Witness even released yet?

With things moving along nicely, we should probably plan out what we're doing beyond The Raven (it's probably worth slipping in one of our episodic regulars as well).

flesk suggested something nice earlier today regarding how we should keys. Perhaps we should give stuff out to people who leave ratings on the games - that should encourage more people to participate in the forum threads and hopefully get more insightful discussion going as well.

Is The Witness even released yet?

With things moving along nicely, we should probably plan out what we're doing beyond The Raven (it's probably worth slipping in one of our episodic regulars as well).

flesk suggested something nice earlier today regarding how we should keys. Perhaps we should give stuff out to people who leave ratings on the games - that should encourage more people to participate in the forum threads and hopefully get more insightful discussion going as well.

Nope. Just was throwing it out there in advance that I really want to be the one to stream the Witness when it is released since I really enjoyed Braid and I'm looking forwards to seeing what he can do with (what I assume to be) a larger budget.

I agree with having a 1-2 episode game in between Kentucky Route Zero and The Raven. Since I won't be able to stream it since I'll be unavailable on the 14th, Syd and Cheeseness should decide what they want to play. One game I would recommend is Passage since it is a short game (about 5 minutes per playthrough), its able to be played completely differently each time you play it (won't spoil how though). Its completely free, with a Linux, mac, and PC version available. Plus its made by Jason Rohrer, who also made Sleep is Death (the experimental game I was chatting to Cheese about a while ago).

+1 vote for flesk's idea.

I got an email this morning from Marco Rosenberg, Executive Producer at King Art saying that he and possibly Jan Theysen (Creative Director) would like to join us for The Raven, which is sweet!

I'll most likely get the thread for this one up early so that we have additional time to draw more people in.

Alrighty, it looks like we're going to be doing Costume Quest next month! :D

I'm not sure at the moment whether we should slip something in between The Raven and Costume Quest though. In some ways, it'd be nice to get all of CQ done in October (which we're estimating would take three sessions). Anybody got any thoughts?

To keep track of plans that we've discussed outside of this thread, we're looking at doing Gone Home after Fate of Atlantis is done, which should take us comfortably into December (I think we're thinking two sessions?).

We'd like to do the Costume Quest DLC in December, and I've approached Marius about joining us for a Hostmaster/Hostmaster Deux session, which might be a nice finale for the year.

What would people like to start next year with? It might be best to avoid anything that might require a lot of work to get guests for as people can be hard to contact over the end of the year.

Has anybody played Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold yet? We might be able to get Josh Mandel back for that. We've still got more KR0, more Pajama Sam and other Telltale franchises to look at. I notice that Bone doesn't seem to be available on the Telltale store anymore - does anybody have that?

I've played Fester Mudd and thought it really captured the spirit of old-school adventures. I'm curious to see where it goes from the first episode (or if it's going anywhere at all with the current situation at Replay Games). I'd love to have Josh Mandel back, as he's such an all round nice guy and very talented writer. It would also be nice to get Paavo Härkönen on board if possible.

I own the Bone episodes, but I'm not sure if I have them downloaded or if it's possible to download them after the latest makeover of the TTG site.

EDIT: I have download links for Bone. The only thing I'm missing is download links for their Adventure Bundle, but I luckily had that downloaded already and it still works.

Which games would you guys be interested in seeing a stream of?

Some games I'd like to have us stream:

Deponia: Currently available in the humble weekly bundle, its (from what I've heard from those who have played it) a fantastic adventure game. Here's an article that goes over the game in more detail: http://kotaku.com/5937017/deponia-is-the-biggest-pile-of-trash-ive-ever-had-the-pleasure-of-escaping

DLC Quest: A satire of the modern game industry (particularly dlc).

Lilly Looking Through: A cute adventure game about a girl name Lilly who finds googles that allow her to see and change the past.

PJ Sam 3: The last in the original trilogy of PJ Sam games, this animated kids-focused game made by Humongous Entertainment will probably be streamed at some point before the end of the year.

The Stanley Parable (Demo): Fantastic cerebral game that has some fantastic writing. We decided we won't do the main game and we'll only do the demo since we want to keep the main game from being spoiled.

Thomas Was Alone: A fantastic minimalist platformer that tells a better story than most AAA games using merely rectangles and squares.

To the Moon: An emotion adventure/rpg game that allows terminal patients to change their memories and experience their changed memories before they die.

The Walking Dead Season 1 Episode 1: Considering how well received the game was by the mainstream gaming press, it makes sense that we should take about and stream this game at some point. It's a considerably violent, gory and significantly mature game at some points though, so know that it won't be the most family friendly of steams if/when we stream the game.

I would be most interested in Pajama Sam 3, since I own and have played most of the others, but I'm fine either way. I don't want to see Lilly Looking Through until the Linux version is out and I've had a chance to play through it myself though.

OK, so we need to get the december lineup (and lead into January) sorted pretty soon.

Parmafry will need a break after Gone Home before doing Grubbins on Ice. Syd was saying she'd be happy to do KR0, so maybe we should aim for the following (guessing that PJ Sam 3 will be 2 - 3 sessions?)

Dec 7: KR0 Act II

Dec 14: KR0 Act II

Dec 21: Grubbins on Ice

Dec 28: Hostmaster/Hostmaster Deux

Jan 4: PJ Sam 3

Jan 11: PJ Sam 3

Jan 18: Fester Mudd

Jan 25: Fester Mudd

3 sessions for PJ Sam might be overkill. I'm fairly certain I can get through it in 2 sessions once I play it through a few times and plan what I will and won't need to do. As it is it has just barely has enough for a full 2 sessions if I talk to all the characters in the game (probably will have less than 3 hours of content since its a lot shorter once you know what you need to do). Besides that this looks like it should be fine for now while we figure out what we'll be doing after Fester Mudd.

Alrighty, I updated the post to reflect that. I'm not certain how long Fester Mudd is likely to take either (I haven't yet had time to play it).

I shot our a bunch of emails to potential special guests today. We'll see who's interested :)

It's been a while since I played Fester Mudd, but I remember it as having a pretty satisfying length. It's nowhere near the length of FoA though, so two sessions should be plenty. One might even be enough if the person streaming has played through it before.

Any chance of a "The Longest Journey" stream someday ?

I'd like to myself since I've been meaning to play through the whole series ever since I saw the kickstarter for the new game in the series. However, (assuming you're talking about the original) steam has it listed at 40+ hours of gameplay, so if we did play it it would probably only be one portion of the game so that we wouldn't have to spend weeks on it. It's the same problem we have with trying to stream longer rpgs such as Earthbound and Mother 3.

Sign in to follow this