Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

DF Game Club Survey & Fav Game Poll (with results!)

Wouldn't 40+ hours just be approximately how long it would take if you didn't know the solution to any of the puzzles? I don't remember The Longest Journey as being much longer than the LucasArts classics.

@flesk I guess I'd have to play through the game again and approximately see how long it would take for me to play through it. I'll try to find it on sale this winter if i can, and if i do I'll try to find time to play through it in order to see if its doable.

Also I found a flash game that everyone needs to play, even if we don't end up streaming it:

dys4ia

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/591565

I love it partly because it questions the very nature of what games are, and mostly because of a story few are brave enough to tell in any media, much less in a video game. Highly recommend playing it if you are able to!

Edit: So what I've been thinking of is having at least 1 stream showing off both dys4ria and either

Aether (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/459147)

Coil http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/422918

or Proteus: http://store.steampowered.com/app/219680/

Or possibly 2 streams featuring 2 of these games. What do you guys think?

So you reckon a Game Club session focusing on a couple of games together that would normally be difficult to maintain discussion on individually? I think that's not a pretty decent idea, though I'm not sure whether we should try to do that outside of normal Game Club sessions as a special thing or slip it in with our normal schedule.

So far as dys4ia goes, that was a pretty touching game. I have no idea how well it would go down. Part of me is wary of focusing so directly on something that could evoke some negative behaviour from people who might otherwise be pleasant and contributing members of the community (people with poor insight and crazy notions lurk everywhere :( ). I'm also worried that if stuff did get out of hand that I might not have the time or attention to deal with it appropriately.

I had a chat with Syd and Permafry last week about other options for how we might attempt long-form games which I think the three of us seemed to feel might work.

Between us we came up with something that I think might work. We have two sessions for long games, a start and an end, but they have several months between them (say, 6 months for a 40 hour game, which would require people playing through to do a minimum of just over 1.5 hours a week). This would give us a normal session and stream to ease people in, which hopefully will pique people's interest, and a normal session to close off and have everybody share their thoughts and perspectives after finishing.

We'd try to keep the forum thread going over the intervening period, posting screenshots and talking about things that are happening where we're up to, and hopefully getting some good discussion along the way.

The big benefit of this is that it wouldn't necessarily create much extra work for our streamers aside from trying to keep the thread active. If we had someone who was particularly keen, they could stream the game in their own time, although I'd probably suggest we avoid that for the first game or two so as to not create the expectation that that's a normal thing.

What're people's thoughts on this sort of approach?

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

For those who haven't picked it up yet, now is a good time to get the humble weekly bundle. Besides having Botanicula and Machinarium, 2 wonderful p&c games we've already played for gameclub, and Shelter, a fantastic experimental game that we might play down the road, it also has LUME, a game we are most likely to play within the next few weeks. So I'd highly suggest getting the bundle now so that you'll be able to play the game before we stream, and enjoy the fantastic games that are included in the bundle.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT CONCLUDED!

Now back to your regularly scheduled forum commenting.

Really bizarre that Gabe Knight isn't at the top of this poll.

This forum is full of some goofy-ass adventure fans.

I think the poll is less about what their favorite game is and more about what game club session they enjoyed the most.

I believe most of our current game club regulars missed out on Gabriel Knight entirely because it was one of the earliest game club sessions. So early, that it was back when Double Fine officially ran the game club and Greg was the streamer.

Sign in to follow this