Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Necrotron

Double Fine Interested In THQ Assets?

Gamespot Article

Speculation by user DrRockso87 is that Double Fine may just be looking to get the complete rights to Costume Quest and Stacking (since they were published by THQ). Confirmed by Double Fine rep, "Double Fine owns the full intellectual property rights to Costume Quest and Stacking. However, THQ retains certain limited distribution rights that have not expired yet, and we are exploring our options with respect to those," and article updated with their response.

Pretty interesting.

Seems like Double Fine would want whatever stake THQ has in those games back, just to neaten up their IP (doesn't really scream future "sequels" to me, since Lee seems to move forward & Tasha's gone.. But who knows).

Wonder what kind of stake THQ owns.. I'd sort of thought Stacking was free & clear on the platforms Dracogen financed.

Its possible they just want to make sure someone else doesn't get them first. That would suck to have someone else partially control your IP.

I'm not sure if that's financially realistic, DF is also quite small, but i hope for the best, i'll buy them a second time on GOG then at some point, so keep us updated, thanks.

THQ might still own partial publishing rights because they originally published the games. The IP right and the rest is in doublefine hands I think because that's how doublefine works with publishers they keep the rights of their own games.

I may be living in lala land, but I really hope this means Double Fine is interested in making a Stacking sequel. It doesn't necessarily need to involve Lee anymore at this point either - he created a fantastic world, now someone else could do their thing with it.

Oh I get excited when I imagine what it would be like if DF decided to buy the Saints Row franchise.

Finish the game to unlock RAZ.

The results of the THQ auction are complete. Does that mean that the issue with the rights distribution is also complete?

The results of the THQ auction are complete. Does that mean that the issue with the rights distribution is also complete?

Actually I think publishing part is done later on.

So, does anyone know whats going to happen with Stacking and Costume Quest now that THQ is dead?

DF has the IP rights, so DF is in full control of any future sequels or whatnot. What DF is after from THQ is the distribution rights for the console versions of Stacking and Costume Quest. Apparently, they're still working on it.

So, does anyone know whats going to happen with Stacking and Costume Quest now that THQ is dead?

DF has the IP rights, so DF is in full control of any future sequels or whatnot. What DF is after from THQ is the distribution rights for the console versions of Stacking and Costume Quest. Apparently, they're still working on it.

Oh, I was worried there for a second. I heard Tim say he always tried to keep his IP's but I wasn't sure if that was always the case.

Oh, I was worried there for a second. I heard Tim say he always tried to keep his IP's but I wasn't sure if that was always the case.

DF has the IP rights for all the games they've made except for Iron Brigade. Unfortunately, Microsoft owns that one.

From Brian Farrell's letter to THQ staff:

"Some assets, including our publishing businesses and Vigil, along with some other

intellectual properties are not included in the sale agreements. They will remain part of

the Chapter 11 case. We will make every effort to find appropriate buyers, if possible."

I don't know what "remain part of the Chapter 11 case" means, but it sounds like the rights Double Fine is interested in are still lumped in with the publishing business.

From Brian Farrell's letter to THQ staff:

"Some assets, including our publishing businesses and Vigil, along with some other

intellectual properties are not included in the sale agreements. They will remain part of

the Chapter 11 case. We will make every effort to find appropriate buyers, if possible."

I don't know what "remain part of the Chapter 11 case" means, but it sounds like the rights Double Fine is interested in are still lumped in with the publishing business.

Most likely what he's describing is that any properties or rights that can't be (or haven't been yet) liquefied into cash (to reduce overall debt) will remain with the company as a whole into the bankruptcy court's jurisdiction. From my understanding at that point it's between the court and debtors to decide what the best course of action is for the company. Selling an unused property or right such as the ones being discussed here (whatever they exactly entail) is likely to an interesting proposition for them, but obviously an agreement would have to be made.

Perhaps the original agreement had a time limit on it and will revert back to DF eventually anyway?

Edit: And from the OP I just noticed in the quote, "THQ retains certain limited distribution rights that have not expired yet" (emphasis mine). So it would be in THQ's new management's best interest to get anything for those distribution rights rather than let them expire for free. That's assuming that the remaining time period for those rights isn't expected to produce appreciable income for THQ when compared to a buy-back offer.

Sign in to follow this