Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Nomadic_09

Where should I go next in my career of gameplay programming

Hey guys,

I know that this is probably not exactly the best place to ask this, but honestly I am far too frightened to ask on a professional programming forum. I get the feeling that this is a very drawn out and annoying question that is asked a bunch on there.

So I thought to myself... "Hey, I've recently joined the double fine forums and it seems like a nice place with, I am sure, some programmers on there who have experience and may be kind enough to share that with me."

Let me also state as well that I have been on many "Herp-derp-game development websites/tutorials-herp" and have not really absorbed much on them because they basically tell everyone on them to go back home, buy a book of your favorite programming language and master it. Then, once you do master, go download a stupid library and master that too. Not very enlightening and I can probably understand why they say that.

So, to my point...

I have a strong background in C/C++ and some Python, and let's just say that I am at the stage where I am trying to figure out if it would be worth my time to pick up on an API like QT or master something a little more rudimentary like SDL or OpenGL or even Allegro.

Believe you me, I having been searching on this topic for a while and no one seems to have given a very concrete answer.

What're you opinions? What do you think is worthwhile?

Hey guys,

I know that this is probably not exactly the best place to ask this, but honestly I am far too frightened to ask on a professional programming forum. I get the feeling that this is a very drawn out and annoying question that is asked a bunch on there.

So I thought to myself... "Hey, I've recently joined the double fine forums and it seems like a nice place with, I am sure, some programmers on there who have experience and may be kind enough to share that with me."

Let me also state as well that I have been on many "Herp-derp-game development websites/tutorials-herp" and have not really absorbed much on them because they basically tell everyone on them to go back home, buy a book of your favorite programming language and master it. Then, once you do master, go download a stupid library and master that too. Not very enlightening and I can probably understand why they say that.

So, to my point...

I have a strong background in C/C++ and some Python, and let's just say that I am at the stage where I am trying to figure out if it would be worth my time to pick up on an API like QT or master something a little more rudimentary like SDL or OpenGL or even Allegro.

Believe you me, I having been searching on this topic for a while and no one seems to have given a very concrete answer.

What're you opinions? What do you think is worthwhile?

Make a game! Best way I believe is to think of what you want to make, then break it down into manageable little projects so you can focus your research on things like "What code trick do I need here to let this character climb the collision?" instead of things like "How do I make man move?"

Just make yourself do something every day. Learn a new function you could apply. Write some dialog. write down what you want to do, then research how to do it. Honestly the only trick is whatever you tell yourself to make yourself work.

What I know about programming can fit on a napkin but... I have been reading a book about general game design philosophy. I don't know if you'd be interested at all but it's really helped me sort of wrap my head around how to approach making a game for my efforts in making a tabletop game.

Jesse Schell's The Art of Game Design

It's a bit pricey but holy crap if it isn't worth every damn penny. Again I don't know if that's anything close to the kind of thing you'd be interested in or if it's helpful at all but it's worth a read. Also I think Justin makes a great point, the best way to learn and build confidence in any craft is to do it.

Thanks for the reply guys and you both are absolutely right. I must start somewhere and build myself from that point. Practice, practice, practice.

But what I was seeking for was what tools, as a programmer, would be most useful for me. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I do not want to spend my time practicing a library or way of programming that is very obsolete or impracticable.

xD I'm sorry that this question is very specific and difficult to answer, but I'm-a-searchin'!

Thanks for the reply guys and you both are absolutely right. I must start somewhere and build myself from that point. Practice, practice, practice.

But what I was seeking for was what tools, as a programmer, would be most useful for me. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I do not want to spend my time practicing a library or way of programming that is very obsolete or impracticable.

xD I'm sorry that this question is very specific and difficult to answer, but I'm-a-searchin'!

A really good gamastura post by Tommy Refenes recently that may give you some direction:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/TommyRefenes/20130107/184432/How_do_I_get_started_programming_games.php

if this were a programming forum: shut up and use the search function!!! this has been asked 100000000 times!!!! rawr!!!!! topic locked!!!!!!!!

anyway as the others say it doesn't really matter what you start with as much as it matters that you just start. i'm far from an expert but i made a mario clone in sdl in like a week so it should take even less for someone strong with c/c++. it's not a huge time investment. just do it. keep in mind it only does the real low level stuff, so you'll have to write collision detection and jumping physics and all that stuff yourself. fun. try to make a mario clone or something about as complicated as it. i forget which tutorials i used but there are some good ones out there.

i haven't used allegro but it looks pretty similar and maybe does a little more for you. seems like an equally good starting point. pygame also seems like a good one if you want to work with python.

opengl is what the pros use and you need some legit math skillz to use it. i would not bother with it if you're just starting out. if you want to make 3d games maybe check out unity instead i think it's easier to use and does more stuff for you.

qt looks like it encompasses a lot more than what you need to make a game and you should probably start with something simpler. if you try to learn too much at once you'll get bored and give up.

Hmmm...

Well my math skills are leet, and I have been checkin' out SDL for a while. I may use that to learn and make a a game out of.

Thank you for the replies guys! :3

And thank you AnAnemoneInAnonymity for the article--I liked it. It actually restored a lot of confidence in me. xD I'm glad to know that you can use almost anything to program a game.

If it is all for everyone, I may post my progress on here and perhaps links to builds if people don't mind me potentially rezzing this in the future. Ahah...

I don't think anyone would mind you talking about any games you make as long as you stay somewhat active on the forums. We have a couple people here who occasionally talk about the games they work on. As long you're not making tons of new threads for them or trying to shove them down our throats, its cool.

I don't think anyone would mind you talking about any games you make as long as you stay somewhat active on the forums. We have a couple people here who occasionally talk about the games they work on. As long you're not making tons of new threads for them or trying to shove them down our throats, its cool.

Oh, worry not. I will be active. I mentioned in my OP that I'm sort of new. :P

Funny story too. Lol the sole reason why I came to this forum was to get a little insight on Grim Fandango. I recently bought that game and have been playing it(which is,btw, an uber fantastic-superflously-dazzling-chic game).

Sign in to follow this