Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  

suggestions to improve the website

I've actually never seen that smiley thing. o.O

It's a Mac so probably Safari.

It's the IE of the cool senior citizens, though i also start to disapprove of FF.

Everyone hear the gospel of PaleMoon! It's basically FF, just better.

http://www.palemoon.org/

This should now be rectified.

Mr. Remo modified the smiley page so it's less annoying and the images do not overlap. Let us know if there are still any issues with this and thanks again for pointing it out.

Brent

PS - I use 4 different browsers because some pages or the combination of the 80 tabs of pages I have open blows up each browser in different ways. Currently Chrome is giving me the most problems, but 2 months ago it was FF. There's no way to win that war and no single browser will display the same site in the same manner on any given day and it depends on mountains of variables. Frustrating stuff it can be, but again, we'll work to smooth out all the wrinkles with our site when they're pointed out and hopefully it will work in all.

UjlKBYc.png

all the smileys are visible now but i have to manually stretch the popup to compensate for the adjustment in position of the smiley table. if we could make the popup a bit wider then it would be perfect.

also it's not a huge deal or anything and it doesn't really matter if it gets fixed or not but since it's like my only other complaint regarding this website could you maybe poke around on this page for a minute and see if it wouldn't be something that would take too long to fix? it used to sort by post count by default but now it sorts by join date and i can't figure out how to make it sort by post count again (the sorting options at the bottom of the page do nothing).

And you are correct - it doesn't work for me either.

It might have to do with permissions, but it's non-critical as I see it for now. I have an upgrade to apply to the site that might cover this, if not, maybe at a later date Mr. Remo or one of us, can figure it out.

Noted, and thanks again for pointing out the problems.

Brent

.........i actually just reminded myself of the other other problem i have with this website with the above post. sorry for making extra work for you, this is the last problem i swear.

smileys automatically take up their whole own line, instead of being displayed inline with text. i dinked around in this file: http://www.doublefine.com/?css=sideshow_assets/sideshow_css.v.1358228517 and i think the problem is right at the top there

/*FIREFOX IMAGE LINK FIX*/

img {

border: none;

margin: 0px;

padding: 0px;

display:block;

}

so that's making all images display in their own block, right? i dunno what it was fixing but i think maybe it was a little overcompensating by including smileys.

.........i actually just reminded myself of the other other problem i have with this website with the above post. sorry for making extra work for you, this is the last problem i swear.

smileys automatically take up their whole own line, instead of being displayed inline with text. i dinked around in this file: http://www.doublefine.com/?css=sideshow_assets/sideshow_css.v.1358228517 and i think the problem is right at the top there

/*FIREFOX IMAGE LINK FIX*/

img {

border: none;

margin: 0px;

padding: 0px;

display:block;

}

so that's making all images display in their own block, right? i dunno what it was fixing but i think maybe it was a little overcompensating by including smileys.

We'll have to take a look at it next week. We need to perform an upgrade so I hate to see a bunch of manual bandages that might get overwritten.

Thanks for pointing it out and don't hesitate if you see something - we want the best user experience possible!

ok thanks. i suppose i will have to manually compare my post count to others for now. one day, Scarecrow, one day i will have a bigger post count than you! muhahahhahaha :snake:

PS - I think you better step up the posting if you ever want to catch Scarecrow :)

i got another thing. with all the new subforums the main forum page is starting to get a bit unwieldy. could we make these little collapse/expand buttons persistant? (currently they reset whenever you leave or refresh the page.) 3JiYY9r.png

i got another thing. with all the new subforums the main forum page is starting to get a bit unwieldy. could we make these little collapse/expand buttons persistant? (currently they reset whenever you leave or refresh the page.) 3JiYY9r.png

Maybe if we had a different CMS. We'll check this out but we're hamstrung with our CMS and limited in a lot of ways. Nonetheless, don't stop pointing these things out as we do honestly try to rectify things that we can control.

i was looking at the website for the developers of your cms (expression engine, if i remember correctly) and the buttons work on there. i dunno why it works there and not here, though.

Because we're stuck on an older version and upgrading breaks a lot of stuff.. One day,

i was looking at the website for the developers of your cms (expression engine, if i remember correctly) and the buttons work on there. i dunno why it works there and not here, though.

Probably because they're running a newer version. A lot of the modules and plug-ins we use broke with a test upgrade so we have to rethink this - I'll talk to some folks and see if there's a way to fix it but we're really busy and it probably will get a grunt and a few mumbling remarks about this current version.

Thanks again for pointing it out and just so you know - we want to fix everything, but time is an expensive commodity. I am adding it to our list of things to fix.

Brent

Would it be possible at some point to enable bigger avatars? I'm not saying I want them to be huge or anything, but I'm kind of sick of resizing mine only for them to end up really blurry.

Another thing. Would you guys set up a seperate tech support board at some point? A lot of discussion about the actual content of the games keeps getting buried under mountains of bug reports and whatnot.

Would it be possible at some point to enable bigger avatars? I'm not saying I want them to be huge or anything, but I'm kind of sick of resizing mine only for them to end up really blurry.

Another thing. Would you guys set up a seperate tech support board at some point? A lot of discussion about the actual content of the games keeps getting buried under mountains of bug reports and whatnot.

There's very little control over the avatars. Sorry. Maybe in the newer version there will be more control but for now we're stuck.

As for a support forum: We've been talking about this and there are some idea floating around about it but everyone has been super busy and no decision has been made, but it is a good idea.

ideally there would be a way to set it up so that on the main forum page there would be one link to "tech support forums" or "amnesia fortnight archives" and you could click on those and they would bring you to a list of subforums for each particular game. that would protect the front page of the forum from getting super long and bloated looking.

after a quick google though it looks like that might be another thing the cms doesn't do. no big deal i suppose, we'd rather you guys spend your time getting games made rather than making the forum slightly prettier. :P

ideally there would be a way to set it up so that on the main forum page there would be one link to "tech support forums" or "amnesia fortnight archives" and you could click on those and they would bring you to a list of subforums for each particular game. that would protect the front page of the forum from getting super long and bloated looking.

after a quick google though it looks like that might be another thing the cms doesn't do. no big deal i suppose, we'd rather you guys spend your time getting games made rather than making the forum slightly prettier. :P

Thanks for doing the research - I think I knew that already but you did save me the trouble of looking it up. We'll have a solution in place soon to ease the reporting of bugs. There's a higher level conversation that needs to take place and not all of the ideas have been thoroughly explored.

Thanks again, Hot!

Brent

Would like to add my voice to those wishing for a fix to the smileys taking up an entire line instead of inserting into the text.

Small issue and there are surely bigger fish to fry, I understand. Just helping clarify it is not just one crazy coot's complaint. ;-P

Would like to add my voice to those wishing for a fix to the smileys taking up an entire line instead of inserting into the text.

Small issue and there are surely bigger fish to fry, I understand. Just helping clarify it is not just one crazy coot's complaint. ;-P

Noted, however I'm not so sure about his sanity :)

Sign in to follow this